Author Topic: Should I buy a CD-I?  (Read 4421 times)

BisMarckie

Should I buy a CD-I?
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:19:18 AM »
I found a CD-I for 60 bucks on ebay. Looks like the prvious owner was a heavy smoker and the AC adapter is broken which is an easy fix.

Should I buy it to play 3 of the best Zelda games ever made?

And Thunder in Paradise of course :lawd

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Should I buy a CD-I?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »
Seems about 59 buckaroos too expensive.

BisMarckie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »

:noah

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
They're paying you sixty bucks to take it?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
I got a working one out of a trashcan once. Only "game" with it was some encyclopedia disc.

This thing controls surprisingly well. Managed to feel smoother than some thumbsticks.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
If you're going to spend money on failed 90's consoles, spend it on the 3DO instead.

benjipwns

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
Actually, I think a lot of the CD-I "games" other than the Nintendo ones are on 3DO as they were both part of that MULTIMEDIA wave. Probably a lot of the edutainment stuff too. 3DO didn't have a licensing program like other consoles, you just paid for the discs, that's why it has such a classic as Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

benjipwns

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »
BELLZOONGA:

BisMarckie

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
If you're going to spend money on failed 90's consoles, spend it on the 3DO instead.

I already own a 3DO. :hhh

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
*Marie Kondo disapproves*
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
I used to have this "gotta have it all" mentality, including buying dogshit like the CDI or 3DO etc

Anyway you should buy a Virtual Boy instead
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
CD-i is legit trash.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
FACT CHECK:

It has the definitive version of Name That Tune. :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »
Regarding the benji old video game magazine "project" they're all like "yeah, we'll totally cover CD-I like all game consoles" and then they all review Burn:Cycle and then it basically never gets mentioned again. :lol

I forget which one now it was but there's an angry letter sent into one because a dude subscribed because they listed CD-I across the top along with SEGA/NINTENDO/ATARI/3DO/etc. and THEY NEVER COVERED IT, WHAT KIND OF SCAM ARE THEY RUNNING.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
My friend picked one up lately and it's garbage. Hotel Mario is the only remotely playable game on the thing, though the Zelda games have some decent synthpop songs. IMO it ranks below the 3DO, 32X, CD32, even Jaguar, when it comes to 90s failed consoles. Maybe it's better than the Memorex VIS or Commodore CDTV, I dunno...
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
In short- No
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »

no
What

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
I bought a Magnavox VIS that I bought at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo for next to nothing

I feel nothing but guilt

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
If you're going to spend money on failed 90's consoles, spend it on the Nintendo 64 instead.
🍆🍆

BisMarckie

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 07:23:24 PM »
I used to have this "gotta have it all" mentality, including buying dogshit like the CDI or 3DO etc

What is a good price for a Virtual Boy?

the cheapest I have seen one was for 300 bucks, and that is way too much for a novelty that I'll just use once.

BisMarckie

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
Less than I would pay for Thunder in Paradise :esports

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 07:44:37 PM »
Sounds like a sex move where they fart on your wiener.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 07:45:33 PM »
No spoilers please  :hulk

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:48 PM »
This song kicks ass, sounds like something you'd hear in a cyberpunk adventure game, not a horrible Zelda spinoff:

^_^

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 02:20:11 AM »
If you're going to spend money on failed 90's consoles, spend it on the Nintendo 64 instead.
:ohyou
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »

What is a good price for a Virtual Boy?

the cheapest I have seen one was for 300 bucks, and that is way too much for a novelty that I'll just use once.

300 bucks complete? No way a console only is 300 bucks.

If it is, I'm glad I own three of them

Gimme gimme TriHard 7
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:30 AM »
I have a VB sitting around, maybe I should sell lol. Lost the visor in a move though, wonder if I can find another to make 'complete.'

More on topic I am glad my parents didn't love me enough to get me a CDI when I was hype for BURN:CYCLE back in the day.  :lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
After talking to my gf, she shot down the idea of bringing any more 90's videogame trash into the house even if it's just for 60 bucks, which is the correct stance to take, I guess.

giant dad life :stahp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »
After talking to my gf, she shot down the idea of bringing any more 90's videogame trash into the house even if it's just for 60 bucks, which is the correct stance to take, I guess.

giant dad life :stahp

Your wife been watching any Marie Kondo recently?
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
I have a VB sitting around, maybe I should sell lol. Lost the visor in a move though, wonder if I can find another to make 'complete.'

More on topic I am glad my parents didn't love me enough to get me a CDI when I was hype for BURN:CYCLE back in the day.  :lol

I rented a cdi with burn cycle and dragons age back in the day, it was cool kind of but that cdi remote control was straight up trash

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
a fan of Thunder in Paradise? nice to see someone who can appreciate a true classic here
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »
I got a working one out of a trashcan once. Only "game" with it was some encyclopedia disc.

(Image removed from quote.)

This thing controls surprisingly well. Managed to feel smoother than some thumbsticks.

This must be some second gen controller

benjipwns

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
Like the 3DO, the CD-I was a "standard" rather than it was a single unit. So multiple manufacturers made them, some of which were quite varied, again like the 3DO. Although the most common forms were from the main company, Philips in CD-I's case and Panasonic in 3DO's case.

Wikipedia indicates that Philips alone made at least eighteen models of the CD-I player. Sony, Magnavox, Goldstar and others made them as well.  This fan site lists fewer models, but still quite a few: https://www.philipscdi.com/players.htm

BisMarckie

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
Like the 3DO, the CD-I was a "standard" rather than it was a single unit. So multiple manufacturers made them, some of which were quite varied, again like the 3DO. Although the most common forms were from the main company, Philips in CD-I's case and Panasonic in 3DO's case.

Wikipedia indicates that Philips alone made at least eighteen models of the CD-I player. Sony, Magnavox, Goldstar and others made them as well.  This fan site lists fewer models, but still quite a few: https://www.philipscdi.com/players.htm

Wasn't that also the reason they were so prohibitively expensive? Hardware manufactures wouldn't see a dime from game licensing fees and therefore had to make sure that the hardware was profitable?

Man, what a great idea. :heh

benjipwns

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
Actually, in the 3DO case Panasonic simply overpriced the original unit, they could have brought it out at closer to $499 than the $799 they did. That's why the price dropped so fast and nobody else brought out models that expensive.

But yeah, in the 3DO case there were no royalties or game licensing fees as traditional in the industry. There was a flat $3 per disc fee that went to 3DO to cover costs and return them a small profit. IIRC, this was supposed to be filtered out to manufacturers as a "bonus" on the machines sold but I believe only Panasonic and Goldstar ever sold enough models to receive the "bonus" back. And Goldstar took it and ran rather than continue to manufacture the machines. From my understanding both of them did at least break even on the machines. I assume the other manufacturers lost money.

The entire system did fail though, that's why 3DO was trying to sell the M2 design to Nintendo, Sega and eventually Panasonic. Nobody was interested in the whole license a design and manufacture it yourself model anymore. DVD and later HD-DVD/Blu-ray use a very different standard system, it's based more around the software. (This is what Nuon aka "Project X" did as well.) The CD-I standard was somewhere between the two. 3DO had to meet hardware specifics and use 3DO's chipsets, a manufacturer couldn't put in a faster chipset for example. This is also why the 3DO Blaster was able to be released for PC's, 3DO got the board size down to where Creative could sell it as a plug-in board.

M2 would have slightly altered this as it used PowerPC along with some other standard parts, only the one chip was custom. But the rest of the electronics industry had been burned by the "multimedia" wave to where nobody wanted anything to do with it. It's still not clear exactly why Panasonic spent $100 million to buy it. I can't imagine the arcade boards for Konami made the money back.

One likely extrapolation I've made from some of Trip Hawkins' statements around the time is that Panasonic may have been paying off some of 3DO's outstanding debts. In a couple interviews discussing 3DO's shift to being a software company he emphasizes that they're debt free like it must have been a problem prior. One thing I just thought of, is since they were handling the discs, they may have found themselves like Acclaim, Capcom and some others of the era and sitting on warehouses full of product they couldn't sell. I remember a local Best Buy put all their 3DO games for $1, the rack still sat there nearly untouched for over two months.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
3DO was still the best idea though

Instead were still stuck with all these shitty platforms

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
I bought a CD-I when it was released. Mostly because it was the best conversion of Dragons Lair and Space Ace available.

NOTHING else was good.
rub

Occam

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:53 AM »
CD-i is easily the worst system I own. I purchased one that included two of the Zelda "games" and 30 other titles at a flea market some 15 years ago. I think I paid about $30, and I felt ripped off after playing it. It's probably not even worth the space it occupies.