Author Topic: The official thread of Bioware/EA's ANTHEM  (Read 15263 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The official thread of Bioware/EA's ANTHEM
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2019, 07:03:28 AM »

In ways this looks like the Wind Waker a lot of wasted potential.
At some point Joe has to grind to open a tomb. Find chests, finish a number of missions etc. to progress further.

So he enters the tomb and it's literally just 1 room with an item to collect.

The strider things we've seen in the trailer apparently don't move around also and a lot of stuff simply happens in cutscenes and is not playable.
Looks like they vastly had to reduce the scope of this game to make it run on base Xbox One and PS4 systems.
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
The newest patch fixed crashing/loading bugs for PC but also dropped everyone's FPS by like 10 :lol

I think I made a mistake rolling with the big tank mech but it sounds like I'll be able to swap between mechs with the next mission I finish. Definitely would like some other QOL improvements but there's been two patches already so they at least seem committed.

Also I'm not really getting the complaints around the tomb stuff. It's a little MMO grindy but I had a lot of the challenges halfway or more done right when I unlocked the quests cause the game tracks everything you do anyway. The hardest one is probably Titan kills since I've not seen any outside of a mission but you only need 3 of those.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:25:03 PM by nachobro »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
Looks like they vastly had to reduce the scope of this game to make it run on base Xbox One and PS4 systems.

Lol if u believe this is scaled back due to hardware limitations not ea/bioware shithousery

kingv

« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »
The scope of games hasn’t really changed since 360 games imo.

There are very few games that I can think of that could not have been largely realized on the 360 just with worse graphics.

Honestly I am not sure I can even come up with one.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
Xbox One has about 5GB DDR3 RAM available for games and a 2013 GPU. The hardware is pretty much as old as the GameCube was when the Wii launched.
To give an example of how far behind the Xbox One is in terms of specs compared to modern machines.

I'm pretty sure the Xbox One X could handle more but Microsoft and Sony have set the rule that everything needs to run on both PS4/Xbox One as well as PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.
Had Anthem been a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/PC only game it would've probably turned out better.
In fact some early 2017 Xbox One X demo material (like Anthem) show signs that this 'rule' wasn't there from the beginning and that demo's like Anthem were made with just Xbox One X specs in mind.
(remember that at some point Microsoft considered to not do an 'Xbox One X' upgrade type thing but launch it as a 'next gen' console instead)

Also don't underestimate the additional resources required for optimizing online play both on fast wired internet connections as well as wifi.

As for the 'scope' not changing. I don't agree with that at all. Online play on Xbox 360 was mostly limited to small maps. Open world games with online play weren't that common either.
I recently looked back at some Xbox 360 games and some really don't hold up anymore.

Anthem seems like something that should've been kept for next gen. A killer launch title and BioWare would've had the time they needed to get it perfect(like they had with the original Mass Effect) plus it wouldn't have been limited by the current gen hardware.
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:12 AM »
No

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2019, 02:04:05 AM »
Edit: also lol that Mass Effect was perfect, it was alright, more like a proof of concept installment, what was great was the promise and hope future installments would be better. While ME2 improved on a lot of things and was "the better game" it wasn't a better Mass Effect and really showed Bioware was done doing rpgs and complex games. Dragon Age wasnt brilliant either btw, but it also gave that sense that the next one would be better which also did t happen. Dragon Age 2 was like a mod done by fans that should have been cut half in size and released as an expansion maybe. DA3 was an abomination offline mmo only the most autistic people could enjoy. Mass Effect 3 was a direct to dvd sequel of a blockbuster movie (like that Russian Die Hard we never talk about).
Mass Effect 4 is DA3 in space.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:59 AM »
want to play a better, cheaper anthem?

destiny thread is that a way
dur

kingv

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
Xbox One has about 5GB DDR3 RAM available for games and a 2013 GPU. The hardware is pretty much as old as the GameCube was when the Wii launched.
To give an example of how far behind the Xbox One is in terms of specs compared to modern machines.

I'm pretty sure the Xbox One X could handle more but Microsoft and Sony have set the rule that everything needs to run on both PS4/Xbox One as well as PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.
Had Anthem been a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/PC only game it would've probably turned out better.
In fact some early 2017 Xbox One X demo material (like Anthem) show signs that this 'rule' wasn't there from the beginning and that demo's like Anthem were made with just Xbox One X specs in mind.
(remember that at some point Microsoft considered to not do an 'Xbox One X' upgrade type thing but launch it as a 'next gen' console instead)

Also don't underestimate the additional resources required for optimizing online play both on fast wired internet connections as well as wifi.

As for the 'scope' not changing. I don't agree with that at all. Online play on Xbox 360 was mostly limited to small maps. Open world games with online play weren't that common either.
I recently looked back at some Xbox 360 games and some really don't hold up anymore.

Anthem seems like something that should've been kept for next gen. A killer launch title and BioWare would've had the time they needed to get it perfect(like they had with the original Mass Effect) plus it wouldn't have been limited by the current gen hardware.

Open world games with online play were not that common, but they did exist. GTA online and red Dead Online existed. What other open world games with online are there even that people play? Are you counting things like destiny, which released on ps3 and 360

I think most of the deficit in online play last gen was really because very few games used dedicated servers. One of the few series I can think of that has a clearly gimped online on 360 was the battlefield series, which never had the 64 player online afaik. But I also think it never had dedicated servers until this gen.

Certainly, not every game can be simply ported to last gen, but I just haven’t played anything this generation where I said “wow this was truly not possible before”. I’m not really talking about graphics, as those are obviously better but just the idea of “is there anything in this game that fundamentally could not be realized last gen?”

Even the the big games like Red Dead 2. Sure the world might be too big and detailed for a dvd, but fundamentally a very similar experience could be had last gen. This is just different to previous generations st least from my perspective. When I play some 360 games, there’s a lot of them that imo just couldn’t really be done justice on a PS2. GTA5 or Red Dead Redemption just would be fundamentally different games on a GameCube.

In fact, I would say that the most fundamentally unique game in scope I have played in the last few years was basically on last gen hardware. That would be Zelda.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »

One of them played it for 70 hours. jesus  :doge
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
That doesn't seem like much. I'm 16 hours in and only level 13, been playing a bit every night. Granted my opinion might change at endgame but I've not had any issues finding anything to do in the game. I got main story and side quests stacked up.

Because of the weird map thing there's no real point in hopping into Freeplay now that I've finished the tomb quests that were supposedly so awful and grindy.

Other than the things I've stated before, I'd like to see the Apex ping system in this game (or really all MP games) cause it'd fix a lot of issues I see with party members just being too dense/not paying attention to get quests completed.

nachobro

• Live Más

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »
Wow xbox is selling 70 units a week  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2019, 04:53:40 AM »
Wow xbox is selling 70 units a week  :lol
Wow such momentum slow and steady wins the race  8)
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2019, 06:35:06 AM »
Its crazy to think the gap between xbox and switch/ps4 is prob widening by like 250k/500k or more a month

No wonder about the rumours of xbox pass coming to everything, ms has conceded the console wars

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2020, 02:18:27 PM »
Wow it’s been almost a full year since someone posted in this thread
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
It's also been that long since anyone played Anthem.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
I should pick it up if it's $7 again... just for shiggles... 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
i thought the single player was enjoyable enough for $20 but in retrospect $7 seems more fair

bluemax

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »
It's also been that long since anyone played Anthem.

I played it just recently!

The loading times are a mess.

Even for the $5 I spent on this, it's sort of hard to understand why anyone would want to play it over Destiny or Warframe. Unless you like the Iron Man flying I guess.
NO

Chooky

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2020, 08:40:05 AM »
still not sure if i should play the copy i picked up or wait for the reboot

Svejk

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2020, 09:09:49 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "reboot" should be a huge patch for the original sku, kinda like No Man's Sky did, right? 

PSN has this priced at $59.99 atm   :foodcourt
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:43:07 AM by Svejk »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
Presumably it's going to be a No Man's Sky/FF14-style massive patch on the base game. I can't imagine that a brand new release would have even the faintest chance of working.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2020, 10:08:31 AM »
ff14 was a near full redo, not just a patch. this is probably gonna be more like NMS cause EA doesn't have the patience for them to remake the entire game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
FF14 was a redo, yeah, but it still stacked on the initial release; you didn't have to go out and re-buy it.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »
tbf there weren't many of us who bought it in the first place. :lol the plus side was lifetime benefits for 2.0 and beyond

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
I picked up the original release for a few bucks and then activated it just before the big update.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
if you paid for either 2 or 3 months before the sub went away (cant remember which) you got two special mounts (one you had to do a quest for), $10/month sub for life, and a tattoo on your character that shows everyone you were a rube who paid for 1.0

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2021, 02:39:11 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
 :pika
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
 :juicy

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2021, 03:32:59 PM »
If EA didn't have the eternal cashcow EA Sports micro transactions the entire company would've folded years ago.
They're only being kept afloat by licenses. Hell, these fucks couldn't even keep an exclusive Star Wars contract  :lol

I fear what happens to BioWare if the Mass Effect remake is another buggy mess.  :doge
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »
They abandoned Anthem to work on Mass Effect Remastered, so in theory, if Mass Effect Remastered bombs, they'll be forced to release Anthem Remastered. :rejoice
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2021, 03:49:22 PM »
It would have been more of a shock if they announced that the NEW AND IMPROVED anthem was still coming tbh :trumps
(ice)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
All according to ten year keikaku.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
Bioware doesn't have anyone left who knows what they're doing.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
It's really difficult to built games with mostly junior staff and C, D, E tier developers.

Many EA studios have been bleeding talent for years. Mass Effect Andromeda was really a case of 'this is the best our engineers can do' and that prompted creatives to leave because their vision wasn't brought to life.
People really underestimate just how many great developers working behind the scenes leave the industry after a game or 2 for better terms and wages in other industries or set up their own "I fix your shit" outsourcing shop.
Developers with very little experience, writing sloppy code in unfinished engines in a very small amount of time for inexperienced creative directors with no vision but the advancement of their career has just been a recipe for disaster for a lot of games.

Nvidia's "driver" is basically just a collection of workarounds and hotfixes for specific games to deal with bugs on a hardware or instruction level that the developers couldn't fix in time for release.

My bro always tells me about these things that are just fundamentally broken in Unreal Engine 4 and moving from one update to the next usually means fixing a ton of bugs and stuff that breaks along the way.
But no one is going to judge a game or a developer based on the quality of the code (except other developers), so no one really cares about quality standards in any shape or form.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:13:18 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
BioWare’s days appear numbered, great job on destroying another awesome developer EA :salute

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
Destiny skates past another one...

The Division
Anthem
Marvel's The Avengers
Outriders
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »
BioWare’s days appear numbered, great job on destroying another awesome developer EA :salute

BioWare peaked with ME2, it's been steadily downhill since and tbh their games were always just kinda "good I guess" as opposed to awesome or whatever. At this point who cares.
yar

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2021, 10:08:29 PM »
I will miss biowares particular brand of stilted dialogue when EA puts a bullet in them soon :tocry
(ice)

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
Crazy that Fallout 76 outlasted Anthem.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2021, 10:27:45 PM »
It's not hard to see why a game that's main vision was seemingly EA head honchos telling bioware to make them a desinty knockoff was such a giant failure :doge
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »
Warframe says hi...  And is now pointing and laughing.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2021, 07:08:26 AM »

BioWare peaked with ME2, it's been steadily downhill since and tbh their games were always just kinda "good I guess" as opposed to awesome or whatever. At this point who cares.

This was evident when Bioware went from KOTOR, which was pretty good, to Jade Empire, which was a mediocre action game combined with a mediocre RPG. The same thing happened to Dragon Age even. Origins? Pretty good and solid RPG. Dragon Age 2? Mediocre in most ways.

OH!

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2021, 07:57:50 AM »

You’re not wrong, but I’ll always have fond memories of ME1, Kotor and DAO.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »
I'm bummed.
Didnt play it, but the flying suits looked cool, i was hoping for them to fix it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2021, 08:32:38 AM »
Same
What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »
They could copy and paste the flying mechanics into the next ME and it wouldn’t be out of place at all  :idont
Margs

who is ted danson?

« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
MS should buy Bioware and get them to make Halo Infinite

spoiler (click to show/hide)
haloguy x cortana sex scene :whew

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Arby x haloguy sex scene :shaq
[close]
[close]
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tasty

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
Haloguy :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2021, 11:28:20 AM »
Could've at the very least rebranded the game as EULOGY.

who is ted danson?

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2022, 01:04:05 PM »
 :lol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2022, 01:11:06 PM »
:confused
(ice)