Author Topic: Microsoft to add cross-platfom Xbox Live SDK support for Android, iOS and Switch  (Read 1231 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-wants-bring-xbox-live-cross-platform-gaming-android-ios-nintendo-switch-and-more
At GDC 2019, Microsoft is set to debut a new cross-platform development platform with the goal of bringing Xbox Live support to games on Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, in addition to PC and Xbox consoles.

Microsoft already has a few games with Xbox Live support across mobile devices, most notably via Minecraft, which requires an Xbox Live login on Android, iOS, and Nintendo Switch. Until now, Microsoft reserved Xbox Live support on those platforms for its own games, but now now, Microsoft is aiming to bring Xbox Live cross-platform play to even more titles. Developers will be able to bake cross-platform Xbox Live achievements, social systems, and multiplayer, into games built for mobile devices and Nintendo Switch, as part of its division-wide effort to grow Xbox Live's userbase.

The information comes from the GDC 2019 scheduling website, describing Microsoft's future plans for Xbox Live. Microsoft also plans to leverage its powerful PlayFab suite of backend tools as part of this package, aiming to streamline the process for developers building live games across multiple platforms.

Xbox Live is one of the largest, most engaged gaming communities on the planet with decades of experience providing managed game services to developers that save you time and unlock all of the social and engagement features that players love.

Now Xbox Live is about to get MUCH bigger. Xbox Live is expanding from 400M gaming devices and a reach to over 68M active players to over 2B devices with the release of our new cross-platform XDK.

Get a first look at the SDK to enable game developers to connect players between iOS, Android, and Switch in addition to Xbox and any game in the Microsoft Store on Windows PCs.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
If anything, this means Nintendo can give up their shitty online service and just license Microsofts. :doge

benjipwns

Microsoft's network can't transfer terabytes of whimsy accurately. :wag

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I want achievements on shitty Android clicker games :hump :hump :hump

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Switch is interesting...

This seems like good news

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
How will this effect Games for Windows Live?
©@©™

benjipwns

How will this effect Games for Windows Live?
Please check the next issue of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine for details.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I want achievements on shitty Android clicker games :hump :hump :hump

I'ma call you "Houston." 'Cos we have a problem.

nachobro

• Live Más
Is this not already a thing? My wife can sign on to XBL and play with her brother (on PC) in Minecraft from the Switch.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Ya it’s already a thing for microsoft games but the news is them making it available for other devs