Author Topic: EA sinks after latest Battlefield video game flops  (Read 3304 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
EA sinks after latest Battlefield video game flops
« on: February 05, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-05/electronic-arts-sinks-after-latest-battlefield-video-game-flops

Electronic Arts Inc. slumped 12 percent after its latest Battlefield title flopped and competition from rival games Fortnite and Red Dead contributed to a “difficult quarter.”

June 13th 2018
We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not ok.
:heyman
🤴

Himu

Re: EA sinks after latest Battlefield video game flops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
Looked like shit after the amazing BF1
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/EA_DICE/status/1092879423009947649

Translation: "Thank you Vince for saving the fucking company. We'd all be heading out to the unemployement line if it wasn't for you  :uguu"
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
It's better than BF1, but man was the marketing for the game abysmal.

kingv

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
Alt universe ww2 could have actually been cool.

Ea has got to be the most consistently bad big publisher. Thr only EA game I’ve bought all gen is Titanfall 2 I think.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
I really hope DICE presents more about what that was looking like design wise. They've not been afraid to discuss that type of stuff in the past. One rumor had steampunk aspects, another had it being Hitler "winning" Barbarossa to extend the war and alter D-Day, possibly landing on Britain, etc. I hope it was more like the latter than the former and that they can someday get to it or at least talk about it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »
Change thread title to "Apex Legends is kewl," kthxbi.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:32:16 PM »
Looked like shit after the amazing BF1

1 was fucking DIRE, hon. My by-far least played title (~80-100 hours max in a 800+ hour for me) in the series.

4 was the last time EA had a tolerable (non-Titanfall before Toku and Benji eat me alive) game. And that's only because they allowed DICE-LA to fucking fix DICE-SE's fuck-up for around 2-years. And that's being generous as I love Bad Company/BC2, and 2/1942 to death over 3-4.

Alt universe ww2 could have actually been cool.

Ea has got to be the most consistently bad big publisher. Thr only EA game I’ve bought all gen is Titanfall 2 I think.

I only bought 1 due to a friend (who quickly stopped played because they finally saw how fucking bad 1 was since they skipped the beta), otherwise it's like Mirror's Edge 2, Titanfall 1 (for $5), 2 (for $30-50 sale one-week after launch, and that's to get to max rank before the game died).

Which is hilarious as I put a shit-ton of hours into Battlefield 2/Modern Combat (360), Bad Company 1 (PS3), 2 (on PC and PS3), BF1943 (PS3), BF3 (PS3 and PC), BF4 (PC) last generation and thought Frostbite was revolutionary/next-gen with it's level destruction (micro, building, and terrain deforming in BC1).

(Yes, yes, I know of Red Faction. I've played Red Faction, but RF1's multiplayer doesn't have the same fun as BC1/2, BF1943 did.

It's crazy to me how DICE-SE's engine team can be top-notch, but their actual development tools for being a "middleware" EA-in-house engine has been complete shit because it completely killed EA's actual other non-DICE (and that's being generous to DICE since they've lost a shit ton of the original BC1/2 team post like BF3-4) for something that was revolutionary last gen is being complete shit this gen.

I really hope DICE presents more about what that was looking like design wise. They've not been afraid to discuss that type of stuff in the past. One rumor had steampunk aspects, another had it being Hitler "winning" Barbarossa to extend the war and alter D-Day, possibly landing on Britain, etc. I hope it was more like the latter than the former and that they can someday get to it or at least talk about it.

TBH, WW2 was a "no-go" for me, since I'm not big on WW2 shooters, so they already lost my sale (and WW1 was stretching it), so their design thing should be "we really should've just made a sci-fi future or modern shooter after some folks were tired of WW1"

But also if they actually leaned into the alt-history bullshit the reveal wouldn't have been as bad. As soon as they came out with the Social Justice bullshit and then double-downed on "don't like it, don't buy it. We don't give a shit what you think" that's when they basically dug their grave, gave the players the gun, and then dropped down into it to get shot in the head. You can not be arrogant to the fucking people that pay you to play your shit. 4A games is learning this with the Metro fiasco (they basically gave a 1-day later appology, I'm fucking shocked that developer wasn't fired for telling their PC players: 'lol, don't buy it, you won't get future ones, assholes.').

DICE/Patrick Soderlund and EA have to be the 2018 text-book description of "marketing failure" in the history books/bible/whatever you want to call it of Public Relations. Just absolutely DIRE PR handling for this release.

benjipwns

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:20:08 AM »
Frostbite never had real strong tool support in place which always makes me surprised that EA decided to force it on all their studios. DICE was quite open about this is why BC2 and BF3 had lots of things a specific way unlike prior games, the tools were in a junk, barely makes it work, type state. Hell, that's why they themselves used UE3 for the first Mirror's Edge.

There's a story about how Danger Close built tools for Medal of Honor: Warfighter, but the next iteration of Frostbite made them useless so Visceral created them all over again for Hardline.

This was the SAME PROBLEM that EA went through with Criteron too! Which makes it doubly damning in retrospect. Medal of Honor: Airborne was restarted on UE3 because Criteron's "next gen Renderware" wasn't worth using on anything except Burnout Paradise. That was supposed to be the new company wide engine except for stuff like Madden and DICE. But everything had to be shunted over to UE3 like Army of Two, etc.

If they had done the same thing and said, okay, fine, use UE4, they probably would have put out more than two fucking Star Wars games at this point.

benjipwns

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 12:24:17 AM »
Really, in retrospect also, they probably should have had the Hardline team do the Battlefront games on their Frostbite. And leave DICE alone to do its thing rather than making it put out a game every year.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And probably made effectively Mass Effect: Star Wars rather than Andromeda.
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 12:52:26 AM »
Honestly, I don't know about the tools state: All I know is that the Frostbite team works on shit, and supposedly none of that shit is able to go "upstream" to the other developer houses and within DICE (-SE, which is where the engine team is IIRC) itself. It's utterly bananas that the fixes that BF1 put in (for better or worse) like Netcode changes in BF4->1 were completely dropped for 5's launch. Bananas (say it again) B-a-n-a-n-a-s, bananas.

You'd think the Frostbite team, as soon as EA made them the middleware team, would start to work on having better tool-chains and pushing those out to all the developers and refine, but nope.

(On a positive note though: They made Mantle/Vulkan while dicking around with the engine, so they did some decent work this generation in terms of fucking killing DirectX 12 and making Linux gaming slightly possible, so kudos to the Frostbite team for that.)

kingv

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 12:57:33 AM »
The Star Wars thing is crazy. There were 3 years where the whole world was Star Wars batshit crazy and ea completely fucking squandered it.

bluemax

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 03:05:17 AM »
It sold 7.3mm copies and they expected it to sell closer to 9mm copies.

How in the fuck is selling that many copies a flop.
NO

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
Sales going down by 50% is a flop, yes.

benjipwns

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
to be fair they did kinda ship half a game

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »

probably because the game was selling at half price or less after a week and BF1 sold like 15 mil in the same time.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
The template for ww2 is there, no one asked for ninjas

Couldnt have happened to a nicer company

thisismyusername

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »

1) The series is/was AAA
2) It would sell in the ballpark of 10+million out of the gate post-Bad Company 2

So, yes, selling half as many as the previous title (which was like 14million?) out of the gate, being -50% off two weeks after launch, and dropping a bunch of shit post-launch that was promised (drag a body is dropped supposedly), is a huge telling point that it flopped.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
BF1 is considered bad?

It was my first bf. I am bad at FPS but really like single player mode. WW1 is an era that fascinates me so I really enjoyed it. Multiplayer is fun but I don’t know how to play fps multiplayer so my experience was limited. Again, I loved single player. :heart

I am weeb how 2 play fps??
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
If you didn't play 1942 as Japanese suicide bombers you haven't lived.

Banzai!

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »
BF1 and 2 combined can't even take on 1942 Wake Island.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »
If you didn't play 1942 as Japanese suicide bombers you haven't lived.

Banzai!

What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »
I wonder what sort of engine Respawn is using for Star Wars. Maybe Source again lol.  :lol
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »
BF1 is considered bad?

It was my first bf. I am bad at FPS but really like single player mode. WW1 is an era that fascinates me so I really enjoyed it. Multiplayer is fun but I don’t know how to play fps multiplayer so my experience was limited. Again, I loved single player. :heart

Maybe, because I thought single player portion of the game was awful. They couldn't make "CoD" roller coasters, so they just made "nicely" scripted multiplayer matches. I've disliked these War Stories concept they've taken. They just feel like more involved versions of those things in multiplayer FPS where they re-use the maps and maybe have some scripts and voice dialogue to emulate a nicely crafted single player campaign. But you can see this wasn't that much of a priority.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:27:21 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:01:10 AM »
I wonder what sort of engine Respawn is using for Star Wars. Maybe Source again lol.  :lol

EA can only afford the Build engine at this point.
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »

it's frostbite.

Himu

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
BF1 is considered bad?

Maybe, because I thought single player portion of the game was awful. They couldn't make "CoD" roller coasters, so they just made "nicely" scripted multiplayer matches. I've disliked these War Stories concept they've taken. They just feel like more involved versions of those things in multiplayer FPS where they re-use the maps and maybe have some scripts and voice dialogue to emulate a nicely crafted single player campaign. But you can see this wasn't that much of a priority.

That wasn’t the case for me at all. For instance there’s an incredible mission where you ride a horse at night and don’t want to be spotted. I found it really fun and the graphics were gorgeous.

I also found the story really engaging as a “fan” of WW1. I enjoyed it far more than any CoD campaign I’ve played.

But then again it was my first BF so I had nothing to compare it to.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
Thats totally legit but as you say you are not an fps guy

Its really lazy design imho

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
I remember doing one mission that was a dull linear tutorial and then another where I was fumbling around some pitch black town fumbling to find three anti air turrets or something, then tossing it.

Just make Bad Company 3

thisismyusername

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
Just make Bad Company 3

Thinking Nu-DICE could hit the GOAT Bad Company 2.  :woody :thatoneEschDisgustEmoteYouKnowTheOne

BF1 is considered bad?

>Single-player
>Battlefield, a Sandbox multiplayer shooter

Ok, so you don't know why a bunch of series fans would dislike it and bail after WW2 was announced after it. Good to know.

(That's not meant to insult you, it's hard to explain to someone that hasn't played the series main selling point why it's bad.)

Himu

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »
I mentioned in that very post that I played multiplayer and it was my primary time spent with the game so I'm not seeing your point. I know that MP is the main draw. I liked the entire package.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 01:50:10 AM »
Battlefield 2 was great. Didnt even need single player.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 04:22:09 AM »
BF1 is considered bad?

BF1 is the worst BF I have ever had this displeasure of playing.  Good news, the others are waaaay better so there's lots to enjoy and there's still active communities for most.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 06:41:22 AM »
I got somewhat into BF3, despite its flaws, but BF4 was a mess at launch and I never got properly into it. The rest I played through EA access and disliked a lot. Everything about it just feels bad. The gunplay is not great, especially hit detection is just SHIT, the unlocking system feels way too dragged out and the maps just arent very interesting. All is a far cry from the memories I have of BF2, even though I am sure that is not great by todays standards either. But in the end I just prefer tighter and more skill based shooters, like csgo, or if I want big world with chaos, there is also a hundred good battle royale games. Which is really what conquest most of the time feels like these days, without people being into teamwoirk.

Himu

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
BF1 is considered bad?

BF1 is the worst BF I have ever had this displeasure of playing.  Good news, the others are waaaay better so there's lots to enjoy and there's still active communities for most.

Do people still play bad company 2?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:35 AM »
BF1 is considered bad?

Do people still play bad company 2?

https://www.reddit.com/r/badcompany2/

Looks like it still has a decent player base from the comments.
ど助平

El Babua

BisMarckie

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
I didn't know that Benji branched out from doxxing to video game stocks.
Good for him.  :-*

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Cindi, Bad Company 2 is DICE's best single player Battlefield probably too.

The blizzard is one of those all-time FPS moments imo. :delicious

Himu

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »
i primarily like multiplayer but i do like a fun sp mode
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »
MP is pretty cool too, i love seeing the paths of destruction carved through the certain maps at the end of rounds

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »

Like a real serial killer Vince came to survey his prey.

"Laugh now dickwads, I will save this fucking company and make Dice my QA bitch"
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »
OP Annhilated

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1093919463697731584

dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
Russian troll account confirmed
©@©™