Author Topic: help lil ol' me build a computer this summer for schoolin'  (Read 4847 times)

Himu

help lil ol' me build a computer this summer for schoolin'
« on: February 08, 2019, 03:39:59 AM »
I dunno how to build one! i7 is a must and it'll probably be the most expensive thing in it. I guess I could with a cheap 1000 series geforce and upgrade down the line but processor is most important for video work. Will hopefully get on it this summer but what are good resources on building computers for newbies?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3123449/hardware/cheap-but-good-how-to-build-a-budget-pc-for-under-300.html
https://www.fudgeanimation.com/experiments/kind-pc-specs-need-animation/

1. Core i7 - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-8700K-Desktop-Processor-Unlocked/dp/B07598VZR8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=core+i9&qid=1549615173&s=Electronics&sr=1-5
2. Geforce 1050 - https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=geforce+card&qid=1549613503&sr=8-1
3. BenQ Zowie monitor - https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Zowie-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01H5KKRLO
4. Samsung 1tb SSD HD - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-1TB-MZ-V7E1T0BW/dp/B07BN217QG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=NVME+1tb&qid=1549616160&s=Electronics&sr=1-3
5. kb - https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-KU-0833-Wired-Keyboard/dp/B005EOWBHC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=keyboard&qid=1549614381&sr=8-3
6. mouse - https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Mobile-Mouse-4000/dp/B002DPUUL4/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=microsoft+mouse&qid=1549614532&s=Electronics&sr=1-4
7. BluRay RW disc drive - https://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Blu-ray-Rewriter/dp/B00E7B08MS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bluray+disc+drive&qid=1549615063&s=Electronics&sr=1-3

tbh i don't know about the other stuff like mobo and could use help

I want a cute tower or a horizontal one like those old dell pc's back from college.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:56:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: help lil ol' me build a computer this summer for schoolin'
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
What about RAM?

Dunno about that monitor.  I know it's supposedly the latest "eSports" fighting game monitor, but IIRC it's a TN panel and you're probably not going to like it much when not playing vidya.  I'd go for an IPS monitor- have both kinds at home and the difference between the two is pretty noticeable.  If you don't care about all the bells and whistles and are fine with 1920x1080 and 60hz, check out this ASUS monitor.  It's $30 more than the BenQ and is 3" bigger.  Has built-in speakers, too, which are actually pretty decent.  I used to use this monitor to play fighting games on all the time and it was fantastic for it.

https://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-1920x1080-ICEpower-Frameless/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=asus+monitor&qid=1549628964&s=Electronics&sr=1-6

GTX 1050?  Why?  At least get a 1060.

Also might want to consider getting a smaller, cheaper SSD to install Windows and boot from and then a much larger hard drive for other stuff.

Get this mouse over the Microsoft one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TG75EG?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJCgAAAAAAcxh50AAAAAXDdKzA

Top pick from the Wirecutter (check out their opinions; good stuff!) and what I use when working at home.  It's very comfortable and the batteries last insanely long.

Your listed items totals about $1000 and you still need to add RAM to that.  For that price I'm pretty sure you could just get a gaming-class laptop with some better specs in some areas.  The laptop I bought over a year ago was $1050 and has a 1060 in it- they have a better version now with a 144hz IPS screen for $1099.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=31N4OL763C2JE&keywords=acer+predator+helios+300&qid=1549629363&sprefix=acer+predat%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

You can get this particular model with monthly payments to make for easy budgeting.  Might help to free up some funds to add a monitor and an additional HDD to it if you wanted to go this route instead. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:12:06 AM by bork »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »
If you're gonna wait to get a proper video card, you might as well use the iGPU of your processor.

What exactly are you going to do with the machine? Video editing? Animation? (3D, 2D?)

Gonna echo Bork regarding the monitor and SSD.

Also, pcpartpicker.com is a great site that helps you with compatibility as well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:16:12 AM by Rufus »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
One day I'll do the DIY thing but I'm all thumbs when it comes to that and I went the pre-built route instead after destroying a previous desktop when I attempted to swap out HDDs and put in a new graphics card.
:neogaf :stahp

I like having a nice desktop to use since I don't tend to go around or travel as much as I used to, but I still ended up getting a laptop to go along with it and I think next go-round I'm just going to get a really good laptop instead or a laptop that is compatible with external GPUs.  I love me some Razer products so I might go with one of their machines.  As much as I like having an ultra-wide monitor, I was foaming at the mouth when Razer showed off their new gaming monitor at CES.  My wife will murder me if I get another monitor anytime soon, however.   :lol  Currently have two monitors sitting here pretty much unused as it is- been thinking about getting a vertical stand to see if I can mount one of them on top of my gaming setup monitor and using the other one for a bartop arcade cab build.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:50:38 AM by bork »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
This is a Ryzen 7 build, but that CPU has proven to be equal or faster than i7 in video editing/rendering. Total is around $1000 minus monitor and gets you a second HDD for storage as well as the SSD for Windows and such. You could save a chunk by getting a bitminer GPU for cheaper if you wanted as well. I got a 1070 that was used in bitmining for 9 months for like $225.

I went with the Deepcool case cause I use one myself and they are a good value (but ugly) because they come with fans preinstalled and are very quiet.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c6dnV6 (edited the link to swap a couple things to save a few bucks, you could downgrade to 8gb RAM and save like $40 more if you wanted)

Might be something to work from.

Depending what you want from a monitor, this might work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ It's IPS and ultrawide so gives you a little more room to work with for design stuff and will be better for color and viewing than a TN panel.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:09:44 AM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
I need something as fiscal as possible.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »
If you're gonna wait to get a proper video card, you might as well use the iGPU of your processor.

What exactly are you going to do with the machine? Video editing? Animation? (3D, 2D?)

Gonna echo Bork regarding the monitor and SSD.

Also, pcpartpicker.com is a great site that helps you with compatibility as well.

Animation and editing
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »
This is a Ryzen 7 build, but that CPU has proven to be equal or faster than i7 in video editing/rendering. Total is around $1000 minus monitor and gets you a second HDD for storage as well as the SSD for Windows and such. You could save a chunk by getting a bitminer GPU for cheaper if you wanted as well. I got a 1070 that was used in bitmining for 9 months for like $225.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RpJ7bX

Might be something to work from.

Depending what you want from a monitor, this might work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ It's IPS and ultrawide so gives you a little more room to work with for design stuff and will be better for color and viewing than a TN panel.

Is the monitor low lag?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »
its 5 ms response time which isn't the best in the world but isn't bad either, plus it has a game mode setting to help with lag.

Himu

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
Also Bork I am not buying a laptop.

I need something upgradable. I will be in school after all and technology moves fast.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
its 5 ms response time which isn't the best in the world but isn't bad either, plus it has a game mode setting to help with lag.

A 25" ultra-wide is going to feel waaaaay too tiny.  I had their 29" ultra-wide (and also used a 29" ultra-wide ASUS for a while) and returned it because, while nice, it was just too small- I currently have a 34" LG curved ultra-wide and the larger size makes a lot of difference.

You'd be better off just using two cheap monitors instead at that size. 

Also Bork I am not buying a laptop.

I need something upgradable. I will be in school after all and technology moves fast.

Yeah, understandable, although things have changed so much in the past few years that I doubt you'd need to upgrade anything anytime soon for what you're doing.  My laptop is not as powerful as my desktop, but if it was all I had, I'd be totally fine with it- it's insane how much better some of these "budget" $1000 gaming laptops have gotten.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:24:57 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
While talking about things, something else I have come to prefer are mechanical keyboards.  You can get some pretty decent ones for around $50 or so.  I use a much pricier Razer Black Widow on my gaming setup, but for my work setup, I picked up a "slim" low-profile mechanical keyboard that is fantastic and pretty nice quality for the price.  The 87-key version I got is $60 now and they also have 104-key versions for $10 more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722GG88M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's worth getting something better than the cheap-o "mushy key" keyboards, IMO. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Don't TN panel monitors also have worse color accuracy than IPS and other monitor types?  Something to consider for art-related use.

Googled a bit on setups for 2D animation work.  Looks like you pretty much need something just as powerful as a setup for 3D animation and rendering, I.E. something "budget" may not work all that well.  Certainly would not go any lower than a 1060 for the GPU (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) in this case.

Any experts here to weigh in?
:expert
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:02:39 AM by bork »
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
What specific programs are you using? A lot of rendering programs run faster on AMD vs Intel (# cores vs clockspeed) but it's a case by case basis.

Also I know you want to be as fiscal as possible but what is the min/max budget? If you want to build something for less than $500 then only AMD is competitive but if it's $1000+ then it might be debatable.

Also would definitely recommend an SSD as prices are dirt cheap and it's worth trying to get 16 GB of RAM.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
IPS will have both better viewing angles and a wider color gamut than a TN monitor.

Also good point on the monitor size. I though 25 was the size of my ultrawide but it's actually a 32" so just ignore that monitor recommendation  :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
I want a cute tower or a horizontal one like those old dell pc's back from college.

Animation and editing

TBH, this doesn't give much beyond "I want a pretty case," and "I need to use it for video editing."

To quote the old "build me a PC thread" on GAF:

If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)
Use PCPartPickerhttp://pcpartpicker.com/ to find the best prices and have a nice list of parts (Check if items are in stock!). I highly recommend Amazon, Newegg, and NCIXUS in North America.

[Basic Desktop Questions] 
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? (1080p, 1440p, 4K (2160p) Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
IPS will have both better viewing angles and a wider color gamut than a TN monitor.

Also good point on the monitor size. I though 25 was the size of my ultrawide but it's actually a 32" so just ignore that monitor recommendation  :lol

I really liked the 29" ASUS I was using (it's literally the 27" version I linked earlier in ultra-wide form, design and all), but yeah...it was just too small and I felt like I needed a second monitor, but didn't have the desk space.  After getting a new desk and dual monitor arm last year, I found that the 29" just didn't "play" well with the 27" mount and it looked generally awkward having two different size monitors set up like that.  So ended up returning the arm and just got a 34" instead.  My wife uses the 29" on her desk now instead and it looks much better with her desk configuration. 

I wanted to use a big ultra-wide for work, but the office gave me two nice 22" ASUS monitors to use and they have adjustable bases, so I was able to get them lined up pretty much perfectly with each other.  Can't complain but it looks like a store around here sometimes with all the screens and PCs in the house.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »
 :lol sounds like our home office space

i've got the ultrawide plus a second little 23" i keep to the side for watching nonsense while playing WoW and my wife has two 25" monitors so its got a nice radioactive glow in that little room.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »
:lol sounds like our home office space

i've got the ultrawide plus a second little 23" i keep to the side for watching nonsense while playing WoW and my wife has two 25" monitors so its got a nice radioactive glow in that little room.

Wouldn't mind adding a second monitor to my gaming setup, but I'm running out of room!   :lol  I have a TV in there so usually just fire that up to stream stuff or use my phone if I'm gaming, or vice-versa when playing console games.

Quick count shows seven monitors, five TVs, six actively-used PCs, and three older "retired" PCs here. :dizzy  This is a two-bedroom condo.  Soon the toilet is gonna have a monitor.
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 10:54:14 AM »
Why do you need an intel chip? Pretty much the only thing it's better for is gaming, and marginally at this point if you're only going to be playing in 1080p (and you will with a 1050). You can save big on processor, mobo, and cooler if you go with a ryzen and if you're using it for basically anything other than gaming it will actually perform better.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »
Why do you need an intel chip? Pretty much the only thing it's better for is gaming, and marginally at this point if you're only going to be playing in 1080p (and you will with a 1050). You can save big on processor, mobo, and cooler if you go with a ryzen and if you're using it for basically anything other than gaming it will actually perform better.
And you have an upgrade path, as AMD is gonna keep AM4 around for a while.

El Babua

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
A Ryzen 5 2600 is def the best bang for buck CPU out there currently. For productivity tasks, it should fare better than any Intel processor in its price range due to the extra cores/threads available.

Also, if you're adamant about getting an 8700k, you also have to buy a CPU cooler as it doesn't include one in the box (it does with Ryzen). And unless you're planning to overclock, you're not getting the most benefit out of the 8700k anyway. Meaning you'll have to pay $60 -$120 for a cooler that is good for overclocking

Also, it would be wise to invest in a video card now (with room to upgrade) due to the fact that most modern editing/animation tools leverage GPU power far more. In fact, for certain programs, a GPU along with a decent processor is essential.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:32:21 PM by El Babua »

Himu

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »

Animation and editing

TBH, this doesn't give much beyond "I want a pretty case," and "I need to use it for video editing."

animation is why i'm going to school so no and yes i want a pretty case!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »

Because it's just more well known brand these days and I figured it was standard.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
There's only two and a half things you should think about as part of your "upgrade" path down the road really.

1. Get a good case, that's EASY to access everything while still not being bigger than you need. Fuck how it looks. Personally, I like Antec's bland flat series because when you pop open the flat front door on them, FREE HANDLE INSIDE.
2. Get a good power supply. Unless you really go tight on your first one, it's rare to actually draw more than a power supply can handle, so these can last you multiple upgrades.

The half is the motherboard. If you want Intel though, ehhh this isn't really going to work because they change the socket constantly. Falling behind on RAM innovations isn't the worst thing in the world of the things you can fall behind on, large chunks of RAM often do more visibly than speed increases of something already measured in the nanoseconds.

As noted, don't waste your money on a SSD for storage. You want that for OS and programs mainly. Get regular large hard drives for your storage. Copy whatever you're working on currently over to the SSD, then back if you need to. If you're going to be transporting your work files, it's better to spend on an external drive for storage than waste it on a SSD. Spend more on RAM space for video editing.

Assuming you actually do want to game. Forget the 1050, get a 1060 6GB or higher. At 6GB or higher you have more RAM on your video card than the base consoles can feed for EVERYTHING, so you'll be playing almost anything that's also getting a console version. At 1080p, you'll be playing almost everything with actual PC bonus features too. There's a double point to this with a generation swap coming probably. You want to skip the first cycle of cards anyway because it's the second generation that nvidia or AMD tend to with a price/performance card that tears up the consoles and lasts you for years on end. So right now, you probably don't want to go crazy on say the new RTX's if price concerns are paramount.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
benji is this the antec you were talking about? I love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Slim-Desktop-Micro-VSK2000-U3/dp/B015IYLSFS
IYKYK

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »
I’d come over and build it for you if I could. :-*

benjipwns

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
that's basically what i was thinking of just turned on its side

i can't exactly tell you about the new ones, but the earlier versions i'm familiar with were all amazingly quiet for how simple they were and everything you'd ever want access too was via thumb screws, plus the lack of vents created some great airflow

iirc, there is a chinese company that pretty much rips off all of antec's designs for cheaper, they're probably the manufacturer antec contracts with

i know there are other good brands, i'm just not familiar with them, the departments i did PC stuff for liked the flat antec designs

i don't like the cases with windows or lights

my own PC is still in an antec case i got in 2008, all the guts except a hard drive are different at this point, oh and the dvd drive

Himu

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
I’d come over and build it for you if I could. :-*

:heartbeat !
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
You'd probably be better off with this Antec if you go that route. A Micro ATX like you posted is really small and are a pain to work with.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-Affordable-Builder-Friendly-Mid-Tower-Ports/dp/B00IVZW2TS/

benjipwns

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
good god are there some ugly cases for sale on amazon :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »
lol

the "window" is green plastic lolol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
need to find me a case with church glass

benjipwns

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »
that case is Gamer with a capital G!

benjipwns

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
also APEVIA sounds like a medication

do not use APEVIA cases if pregnant, nursing, or if you plan on becoming pregnant

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »
 :ltg :nerds
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
gaming computer towers look so disgusting and i hope i have never met anyone who likes how they look
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »
i had a roommate :stahp

i told him the see through on the case just let people see how shitty his cable management was and how much dust was inside

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
gaming computer towers look so disgusting and i hope i have never met anyone who likes how they look

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
I know someone with two of them Alienware (iirc) triangle tower things. Both maxed out. Cost like 7 grand a piece iirc. Ugly as shit.
serge

Himu

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

WHAT IS THE APPEAL
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »

Because it's just more well known brand these days and I figured it was standard.

It's more well known in the sense that casuals might know the name but for the past year or two AMD has been handing Intel their asses with CPUs with the Ryzen line. ESPECIALLY if you're using it for productivity shit (animation qualifies) and want to upgrade down the line, as AMD has said they'll keep using the same AM4 motherboards for their chipsets and Intel is constantly changing their mobo compatibility when they put new chips out.

As for cases... I really can't stress this enough, using smaller or horizontal cases if you're not used to putting pcs together is a recipe for disaster. I'd recommend an ATX mid tower at least. You can still get non black monolith looking cases in that form factor but in general they're sooooo much easier to work in. And if you're going to update the system over time, every single time you open up a mini or micro ATX case you will curse your decision to build in one. (TBF you'll do the same in a mid tower but not as severely.)

Gimme a price range and I'll put together a few pc partpicker lists for you, work is slow and this is the sort of dumb shit I do for "fun"
yar

Himu

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
Okay, I just want a computer that can do animation for under 1000 including monitor and shit

and thank you :heartbeat
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »
Here you go:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wd6X7W

monitor:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2MV9385

Should be just under $1k, even if you're lazy and don't send in for the $40 mail in rebates. Does not include software, keyboard, mouse, etc. I picked a white case for you because I know you like awful cutesy shit even though electronics in anything other than black is haram, it is known. The NZXT H500 is a good case that's fairly easy to build in (I used it for my most recent build last September). The cpu is a nice, fast, efficient 6 core/12 thread beast; the gpu is perfectly serviceable for 1080p gaming and video editing. If you buy from Newegg I don't think there's sales tax if that's applicable where you live, so factor that in as well. I picked out a well reviewed 25" 1080p monitor with a 4ms response time, since I know you'll want to play fighting games on this, and doing so at 1080p with that set up at 60fps should be totally fine.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:44:14 PM by Human Snorenado »
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
If for whatever reason you have to actually pay full price for Windows and buy a decent mouse and keyboard, you can get a Ryzen 2400G CPU/APU combo and not get a graphics card initially. It's a weaker cpu with fewer cores/threads, though, so keep that in mind.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
you didn't actually link the part list old man :ufup

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »
you didn't actually link the part list old man :ufup

Shh, I'm multitasking
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 05:43:32 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This says "small flying unicycle from the future" way more than "computer case."
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
Okay, I just want a computer that can do animation for under 1000 including monitor and shit

and thank you :heartbeat

Have you spoken to anyone at the school you're going to, to find out what you'll be using?  Might help for the selection process. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
Yes I have.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »
Here you go:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wd6X7W

monitor:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX2MV9385

Should be just under $1k, even if you're lazy and don't send in for the $40 mail in rebates. Does not include software, keyboard, mouse, etc. I picked a white case for you because I know you like awful cutesy shit even though electronics in anything other than black is haram, it is known. The NZXT H500 is a good case that's fairly easy to build in (I used it for my most recent build last September). The cpu is a nice, fast, efficient 6 core/12 thread beast; the gpu is perfectly serviceable for 1080p gaming and video editing. If you buy from Newegg I don't think there's sales tax if that's applicable where you live, so factor that in as well. I picked out a well reviewed 25" 1080p monitor with a 4ms response time, since I know you'll want to play fighting games on this, and doing so at 1080p with that set up at 60fps should be totally fine.

Thank you so much! I will add blu ray writer drive. This seems perfect and there’s no pressure to rush to build it because Lab stations will be 24/7. However, I want to get started on my education ASAP so I will be using the computer to make short films this summer. Thanks!!
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Keep in mind: lots of cases don't have bays for optical drives any more (the NZXT H500 doesn't) so you're either going to need to find one that does or get an external USB one.
yar

Himu

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
That’s fine!
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 09:47:36 PM »
Also! Since you'll be building it this summer, just use this as an opportunity to get an idea for what's out there. In a few months it will be a different landscape, it always is.

Also also, take the time to watch some youtube build tutorial videos.

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »
Here's two good videos that are current and run you through lots of choices and how to build computers. Ignore the part in the second video where he mixes up his fucking gpus, tho :P

yar

Himu

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
Did you...see my pm’s?
IYKYK