Author Topic: how do people quit smoking  (Read 3208 times)

PsychoBee

how do people quit smoking
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:35:00 AM »
shits hard

vaping is ok, tastes better but doesn't give you that burn when you're having a shitty day and need to feel that burn
dumb

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: how do people quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:52:38 AM »
I quit cold turkey, just woke up and stopped. I've since smoked when on holiday for a week or two at a time then kicked it on the plane back home.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:53:46 AM »
how do I stop performing a completely voluntary action  ???

PsychoBee

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »
I quit cold turkey, just woke up and stopped. I've since smoked when on holiday for a week or two at a time then kicked it on the plane back home.
I tried that, worked for 3 months but then it just took having 1 rough day and I was back on it, haven't been able to go cold turkey after that

I even threw away a carton and said "thats it, no more buying cigarettes" a few weeks ago and I cracked after 2 days

:doge
dumb

PsychoBee

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 04:11:24 AM »
The gum mostly works for me.

I recommend the coated variety as it lasts longer.
I'll have to give that a shot then, been avoiding it bc I figured it was all just bullshit and placebo effects
dumb

jorma

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:35:05 AM »

says the dude who's obviously never been hooked on nicotine in his life

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 04:44:15 AM »
I quit niccatine by smocking (((meth)))  :-[

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 04:52:23 AM »
By dying from lung cancer.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 05:01:21 AM »
I tried a bunch of times but I finally kicked it when I started going running. I had mild cravings for about 2/3 days and that was it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 05:08:21 AM »
 ???

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
I've recently switched to vaping. I'm using a unit similar to a Juul - it has a "tight draw" similar to a cigarette, it's not the same as actually having a cig but it's damn close. Fits in my fob pocket an is much more convenient than cigarettes

It's been about a month but I've noticed benefits such as :

- breathing easier
- not hocking up phlegm in the shower
- saving a lot of money. For me the tipping point was January 1st this year. For the past 5 years or so the New Zealand government has been increasing the price of smokes 10% per year. My preferred brand of rollies (cowboy smokes) rose to $64NZD for a 30g pack and that was kinda it for me. Pods for my vape are costing me $15 a week which has been a huge boon to my cashflow as I'm a student living week to week.

I'm still a using nicotine addict but at least it's a step towards better health. Give it a shot!

PsychoBee

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 06:32:27 AM »
I've recently switched to vaping. I'm using a unit similar to a Juul - it has a "tight draw" similar to a cigarette, it's not the same as actually having a cig but it's damn close. Fits in my fob pocket an is much more convenient than cigarettes

It's been about a month but I've noticed benefits such as :

- breathing easier
- not hocking up phlegm in the shower
- saving a lot of money. For me the tipping point was January 1st this year. For the past 5 years or so the New Zealand government has been increasing the price of smokes 10% per year. My preferred brand of rollies (cowboy smokes) rose to $64NZD for a 30g pack and that was kinda it for me. Pods for my vape are costing me $15 a week which has been a huge boon to my cashflow as I'm a student living week to week.

I'm still a using nicotine addict but at least it's a step towards better health. Give it a shot!
Yea, I might just try to get back to vaping, it's fucking expensive with how much I smoke, that's my main concern

might need to try a juul or whatever those are, seems like less of a hassle than what I have rn
dumb

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
I had a relative who was non stop doing things and smoked, then they had a heart attack and were told they needed to stop smoking and chill a bit or they were gonna die. So they stopped, and now when they pass through to say hello they hang around for like 10 minutes instead of the 5 they used to. :lol
Hi

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
Some guy on my Facebook has been praising Allen Carr’s The Easy Way to Quit Smoking maybe read that

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
The psychological trick to addiction is convincing yourself that when you're "using" (under the influence of the drug) that it's not your 'normal' state. That's why people use everyday, because they just want to "feel normal" and the only way to get there is to use.

That applies to all the mild drugs like caffeine, alcohol, weed, etc etc. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
I quit about 10 years ago. Used chew tobacco when serious urges came around. Mostly because it's a lot cheaper than cigs and much more cheaper than the gum. Chewing is kind of gross so I just stopped doing that after a while.

I quit before they were $5 a pack. Can't imagine paying the prices they are now.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 09:24:18 AM »
i just switched out for smoking weed. also i carry gum everywhere.

Himu

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »
Pretty easy to quit to me. I literally stopped buying and smoking them.

I never found them addictive.
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 04:34:31 PM »
I’ve only smoked a total of 6 or 7 cigs in my life and it was out of total boredom.  :doge

I’m surprised people actually get hooked on them since just one makes my throat feel like shit the next morning.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
addiction has equal parts to do with the genetic lottery

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
No first hand experience but there's not really two ways about it if that's the intent, whether it will be easy or hard for you : try to stop. I know people who try (with gum or vape) and fall back into it but they're able to stretch the abstinence period longer and longer.
ὕβρις

PsychoBee

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
I’ve only smoked a total of 6 or 7 cigs in my life and it was out of total boredom.  :doge

I’m surprised people actually get hooked on them since just one makes my throat feel like shit the next morning.
you clearly aren't a masochist, thats part of the enjoyment of it

i'm actually not joking, one of the hardest things about switching to fake cigarettes is missing out on the throat hit

May I interest you in a pamphlet detailing your lack of eternal life by not following in Jesus's footsteps?
if there was a ever a slim chance I wasn't going to hell I threw that out the window with some of the shit I pulled years ago, let alone the shit i've done this year alone, satan has made me his cocksleeve

No first hand experience but there's not really two ways about it if that's the intent, whether it will be easy or hard for you : try to stop. I know people who try (with gum or vape) and fall back into it but they're able to stretch the abstinence period longer and longer.
Yeah, I actually have medical reasons for trying to quit now, need to get my blood pressure lower so I've been trying to ease off, I actually started cutting back from 3 packs a day to 1, but stopping completely has been the hardest part, might need to just get really high nic e-juice for my vape or something to simulate that throat hit and then slowly ween myself off the nic completely
dumb

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
3 packs ? Ouch. That's rough. I'm no doc but yeah cutting back is a good idea.
It can also help to decide your house / flat is a non smoking area and that you need to get out (or to a specific room, not the one with the telly or computer obviously) to smoke. I did that for a bit and it certainly helped cut daily numbers to half a pack or less.
ὕβρις

PsychoBee

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
3 packs ? Ouch. That's rough. I'm no doc but yeah cutting back is a good idea.
It can also help to decide your house / flat is a non smoking area and that you need to get out (or to a specific room, not the one with the telly or computer obviously) to smoke. I did that for a bit and it certainly helped cut daily numbers to half a pack or less.
I'll have to try that again, "no smoking in the house" rule and force myself to go outside, but I'll let myself vape inside (which should hopefully get me doing that more regularly than smoking, if I can just break the cycle and not default to cigarettes it'll be significantly easier)
dumb

Himu

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
3 packs? Wow.

Cut to half a pack. You can do it.

Sorry if my previous post seemed insensitive.

How long can you last without buying a pack?
IYKYK

PsychoBee

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
3 packs? Wow.

Cut to half a pack. You can do it.

Sorry if my previous post seemed insensitive.

How long can you last without buying a pack?
you're fine, no harm no foul
& its a daily thing, I mostly use nicotine to self medicate bc my ADHD is a bitch, but yeah I'll try to cut down to half a pack

it doesn't help I work in a convenience store rn, so literally every time I go to work the temptation is there  :lol
dumb

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:54 AM »
I've just been vaping super low nicotine juices for a few years. I am fully aware that vaping makes you look uncool and sexually frustrated, but the actual reason I'm thinking about stopping is because is because it's just getting boring. I believe it takes a few days to a week for the chemical addiction to subside but then you still have the routine/habit part of it so it might help to just use zero nicotine vapes at that point to satisfy the oral addiction. You might have to go gay after that but I think that's what Grindr is for.

Generally, I find it easier to not feel cravings when I'm doing something that doesn't require me to sit and think.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:45 AM »
You should try gamifying the quiting process somehow, it should help. I'm currently in the process of cutting out some of the shittier foods I eat and I just made it a point game that I have a scoresheet for.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 12:40:42 AM »
Talk to an addiction councilor maybe

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 12:50:31 AM »

I guess Bee has a better chance of quitting than you have of quitting being a complete piece of shit.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 12:51:22 AM »
 ???

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »
???

Don't pretend to be confused, filler, you dumb fucking biiiaaaatch.
每天生气

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 02:39:34 AM »
I found that the physical addiction lasted about a week after I quit. I got bad cravings, but eventually got over it. The psychological addiction kicked in for me after about 3 months and that was hard to get through. I remember failing at that stage at least twice before I finally kicked it for good.

I think removing myself from others who smoked and from situations that I would normally have smoked was the biggest key. I started it when my brother went overseas on a two month holiday (we lived together and were both smokers). That's the hardest part, changing your habits that make you want to smoke or make smoking feel like a normal part of your routine.
Spud

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 03:32:02 AM »
Just get  married and have a kid and stop going out

Worked for me

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
Having a small Filipino (my wife) yell at me every time she smelled smoke on me helped.

But also replacing times where I would smoke with something else was good.  Like instead of taking a smoke break at work, I would take a walk.

The taxes shooting up and making packs $8-9 was also a big factor.

Also don't go over the edge if you have one or two, it doesn't mean you have to start smoking regularly again.  I had a couple of trips to Vegas recently and I smoked there but stopped when I got back.  Mostly because I was starting to feel like shit and cough up lung cookies in the morning again.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
suck dick instead
fat

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
Maybe try sucking on lollipops instead, it will give your mouth and hands something to fixate on instead of cigarettes
WDW

PsychoBee

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
started easing off the cigarettes today

been forcing myself to vape more, even got a ejuice recommendation from a co-worker, and the first few cigarettes when I got in to work tasted like shit

they're going to tear this whole place to the ground to remodel and that should cut the temptation a lot too, not having 24/hr access to cigarettes (we're the only store that's open 24hr in this town) and not being surrounded by them will help

I also can't get over my childish amusement that sucking robot dick would actually help me quit smoking
dumb

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:20 PM »

kingv

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »
Last time I'd hung out with a friend we wandered around his downtown apartment and he was smoking butts off the ground (that he said were "probably his") because it was like 4AM and no nearby stores were open and we uhhh.. weren't sober to drive.

Then this past weekend it was 4AM again and we were walking to 7-11 (up by my house this time) and I was like "dude did you quit smoking?" because he hadn't had a cigarette all night. 

Then he bought a pack at 7-11, I had kind of triggered him lol.

I feel terrible.

When I was in high school I worked at Wendy’s and one of the dudes there would regularly smoke half-smoked butts out of the ash trays from customers.

kingv

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
Having a small Filipino (my wife) yell at me every time she smelled smoke on me helped.

But also replacing times where I would smoke with something else was good.  Like instead of taking a smoke break at work, I would take a walk.

The taxes shooting up and making packs $8-9 was also a big factor.

Also don't go over the edge if you have one or two, it doesn't mean you have to start smoking regularly again.  I had a couple of trips to Vegas recently and I smoked there but stopped when I got back.  Mostly because I was starting to feel like shit and cough up lung cookies in the morning again.

This is basically me now. I haven’t been a regular smoker for years, but I still kind of like it.

Like I’m going to a bachelor party end of the month and will probably smoke two packs over 4 days. But st the same time I know I’ll just stop as soon as the trip is done.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »
The only way anyone in my family has quit was when they found out they had cancer.

BisMarckie

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 06:52:38 PM »
I quit when I had a nasty laryngitis and didn’t want to smoke anyway. Maybe catching a cold would help :rollsafe

PsychoBee

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:37 PM »
I quit when I had a nasty laryngitis and didn’t want to smoke anyway. Maybe catching a cold would help :rollsafe
bronchitis didn't stop me
dumb

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
honestly the hardest part of the switch from smoking to vaping is that smoking still has a slight aura of being cool but vaping is the most embarrassing shit ever to be seen doing, worse than kid fucking or watching anime. that's why i mainly used gum (non nicotine) and sugar free grandma style candies and got out of vaping right away. honestly, the sooner you can get yourself away from a nicotine crutch the better off you'll be.

hopefully in not too long you'll be smoke free completely and wondering why you even wanted them in the first place. took me almost a year to not want a cigarette when i saw someone else smoking but it was 100% worth it. good luck!