Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3910214 times)

Occam

Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #16140 on: May 17, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
@Cauliflower Of Love: You are right, though. I read the abstract just now, belatedly. "Long words" refers to overly complex words.
(I totally deserved to be shamed like this for not clicking the link before commenting.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:34:30 AM by Occam »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #16142 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1128809481264091136

:exxy :exxy
Katsura has drawn better butts in his days, to be fair.
Look at that tiny thing.  :wag

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #16143 on: May 17, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
Yeah, I'd have gone with "big words." Just throwing them a bone.  :kermit

All this throwing of bones at ree and here timu sits just waiting his turn  :bluesteel

Jansen

« Reply #16144 on: May 17, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
https://www.online-utility.org/english/readability_test_and_improve.jsp

Finale Fireworker's OP, stripped of the quotes which improved the score a year:
Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading   
Gunning Fog index:   13.24
Quote from: half of them
List of sentences that we suggest you consider rewriting to improve readability:

When you look at their repeated PR on the subject, their position seems to be “we didn’t make this game with a specific message in mind, therefore it has no specific message.
If a vulnerable unit suddenly appears on the combat map in a strategy game, and saving them nets some sort of reward or recruitment, the game affirms concepts of heroism.
By casting the player in to the narrative, certain actions and philosophies will be innately endorsed because completing these actions is mandatory for progress.
If this is the case, their claims to the contrary are merely marketing meant to distance their corporate identity from any particular political philosophy.
Even when faced with an absolute reality, Ubisoft attempts to maintain the veneer of neutrality at all costs because they believe this is better for business.
If this is their intention, they routinely fail, and the political response their games receive (positive and negative alike) indicates this quite plainly.
But people like to put politics into that, and we back away from those interpretations as much as we can because we don't want to take a stance in current politics.
It takes less time, it takes less practice, and is less individually challenging to just let media flow through you without consideration or reflection.
"We've rooted ourselves in reality, and you'll get what you get out of your playthrough--everybody will get something different out of their experience.
This machine is a great example of putting a player in a certain position and letting them come to their own revelations and conclusions through their own input.
So while media may communicate a specific message or feeling very clearly, you usually can’t be sure it’s what the author intended.
Other people who believe video games aren’t political simply mistake what they are used to seeing as apolitical neutrality.
Maybe they aren’t prepared to think of video games this way, or don’t want to, so they insist there is no merit or reason in doing so.
Media takes all kinds of forms and formats but it is grounded by a singular purpose: humans create media to send and receive ideas and messages.
They choose political topics, settings, and stories because these are the sort of vehicles that suit their gameplay and they find the topics marketable.
It is a normal part of the Ubisoft promotional cycle to announce a video game and then discourage any sort of scrutiny of those new games.
Video game mechanics are just presses on buttons and sticks, but these mechanics correspond with actions and these actions produce results in the game world.
People perform tasks far more complex and stressful, with far greater wear on their minds and bodies, for the same amount of compensation that this machine dispenses.
Ubisoft, when presented with assessments on their work, says they want to get their audience thinking but claim to not have anything particular in mind.
His work is heavily therapeutic, deeply personal, and a means for him to process his trauma from serving in the American military.
When it’s finished, the clock continues autonomously, carrying out its design, and the creator no longer has any input on its function.
Ultimately, Ubisoft is a corporation and it doesn’t matter very much what they say or what they believe in this respect.
Military operations are used as backdrops for gun-based gameplay because it gives the player an excuse to shoot someone.
Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup.
Rather than seek a definition of art that everyone can agree on, I think it makes sense to suspend the conversation entirely.
The first is that Ubisoft knows their PR is deceptive and has no illusions about the political nature of their video games.
We get articles explaining this almost every time Ubisoft releases a game, but Ubisoft’s position remains consistent.
But reinforcing the status quo through common tropes is equally political to something that challenges regularity.
This is how media with no intended message can still end up with a specific political and philosophical reception.
There’s something interesting about that part of the journey, and perhaps Kratos might be ready for that part of the journey.
If you're familiar with some of my older topics, I've always really enjoyed approaching video games as literature.
If we take their claims as truth, this means Ubisoft isn’t conscious or aware of the philosophies and concepts their games reinforce.

The Epic Games Store Boilerplate Staff Post:
Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading   
Gunning Fog index:   12.77
List of sentences that we suggest you consider rewriting to improve readability:

Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage").
Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.
It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.
It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.
Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine.
We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.
If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated.

Transgender study (by a now revealed TERF extremist) Staff Post that goes in any thread about athletes or females or female athletes or women athletes or transgender athletes or people in general running any distance:
Gunning Fog index:   17.48
Stripped of the academically published study quotes, i.e. just SweetNicole's writing:
Gunning Fog index:   17.02

Based on the established criteria by the International Olympics Committee, their panel of expert scientists and physicians, and the study by Joanna Harper, and the collaborating studies, Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately.
Another study, called Sport and Transgender People: A Systematic Review of the Literature Relating to Sport Participation and Competitive Sport Policies, that was published in 2017 came to the same exact conclusion as these two others.
There is a study by Joanna Harper on transgender athletes' performance versus cisgender athletes' performance that was published in the Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities in 2015.
We have no interest in allowing ignorance to thrive in these threads, nor do we wish to place an undue burden on our transgender community to educate people in threads like these.
The study showed that as testosterone levels approach female norms, trans women experience a decrease in muscle mass, bone density and other physical characteristics.
Yes, this is every sentence except the one about contacting the mod captains.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ResetERA.com policy paragraph from that Staff Post, restated here for your convenience:
Based on the established criteria by the International Olympics Committee, their panel of expert scientists and physicians, and the study by Joanna Harper, and the collaborating studies, Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately. We have no interest in allowing ignorance to thrive in these threads, nor do we wish to place an undue burden on our transgender community to educate people in threads like these. This policy will be enforced from this post onward and in any future threads or posts on this subject.
Receives the following grade:
Gunning Fog index:   24.78

Based on the established criteria by the International Olympics Committee, their panel of expert scientists and physicians, and the study by Joanna Harper, and the collaborating studies, Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately.
[close]

Jansen

« Reply #16145 on: May 17, 2019, 12:48:40 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16146 on: May 17, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16148 on: May 17, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
Is the punchline that she’s giving a pregnant person a drink? A good cartoon.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16149 on: May 17, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
All the games we have now, except exactly the same! Imagine the possibilities!
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16150 on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
Quote from: PoopNoodles
You need to understand that depicted violence against women isnt okay just because a bad guy character does it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-script-for-joker-has-allegedly-leaked-and-its-not-great.117233/page-13#post-20861424

:confused
ὕβρις

SmokyDave

« Reply #16151 on: May 17, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
See, I don’t think this ‘men can get pregnant’ viewpoint will ever be accepted by mainstream woke orthodoxy. It totally undermines the notion that pregnancy issues should be dealt with by women, for women.

I think I’d be genuinely interested to know what the various GSM activist flavours think about male pregnancies.

Averon

« Reply #16152 on: May 17, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
You need to understand that depicted violence against women isnt okay just because a bad guy character does it.
So violence against men is ok, but against women isn't?Am I reading this correctly?
I can't believe I'm reading this kind of argument here.
How is this poster not banned or warned for this

Don't even bother to argue against his point and immediately goes to "yikes!" and "BAN HIM!!!!"  :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16153 on: May 17, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
What would you consider a problem in a film script about the story? This isn't about numbers, it's about ethics.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-script-for-joker-has-allegedly-leaked-and-its-not-great.117233/post-20863719

ethics in superhero movies, eh? :thinking

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #16154 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
See, I don’t think this ‘men can get pregnant’ viewpoint will ever be accepted by mainstream woke orthodoxy. It totally undermines the notion that pregnancy issues should be dealt with by women, for women.

I think I’d be genuinely interested to know what the various GSM activist flavours think about male pregnancies.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/man-gives-birth-in-finland.33882/

User was warned for: Trolling.
Finally men have a say in the abortion debate!
Oi Oi

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #16155 on: May 17, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-script-for-joker-has-allegedly-leaked-and-its-not-great.117233/page-13#post-20861424

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-script-for-joker-has-allegedly-leaked-and-its-not-great.117233/post-20872732

Jeeeeeeesus Christ.

Read a fuckin article or two I don’t have time for your bad faith thought exercises.

:dead

He has no answer except "BAD FAITH! I DON'T HAVE TO EDUCATE YOU!!"

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16156 on: May 17, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
I like that the Grumpy Cat thread is a battleground because some people aren't sad enough to make excel satisfied. Also some dunce getting offended at her being named Tarder Sauce :lol

These people cannot handle any topic without losing their minds

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #16157 on: May 17, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »

They've now really joined the "violence in media" is harmful club, huh? I guess that's at least consistent with their ideas about sexualization

jorma

« Reply #16158 on: May 17, 2019, 01:42:40 PM »
So violence against men is ok, but against women isn't?Am I reading this correctly?

Don't even bother to argue against his point and immediately goes to "yikes!" and "BAN HIM!!!!"  :lol

but they did?

Quote from: SugarNoodles, post: 20872732, member: 30436
Jeeeeeeesus Christ.

Read a fuckin article or two I don’t have time for your bad faith thought exercises.

it's funny how they all turned up at the same time after an entire day of inactivity

Switters

« Reply #16159 on: May 17, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
troll

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16160 on: May 17, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
Ban Baiting 101

Hello Era lurker.
You may have recently been confused - some would say gaslit - by claims from certain Era members in the recent topic https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-is-resetera-such-a-shitty-and-toxic-environment-for-discussion-let-me-list-the-ways.117340/post-20839830 that there is no such thing! as protected users and that there is no such thing! as ban baiting and dogpiling.

Let's take a little look!

This is a post by definitely-not-protected user SugarNoodles:

At face value, this is a fucking stupid thing to say.
And indeed, other posters reading this fucking stupid thing ask for clarification, as they assume that someone saying something that fucking stupid may in fact have not expressed their actual thought clearly enough.

So no violence against women should ever be depicted in films? Is this what I'm reading?
What are you suggesting that we only show men get killed or beaten from here on out? Meanwhile I can pick up any paper and read a horrible story about how a woman was attacked.
Do you think people are going to erupt into cheers when a woman gets killed on screen like Thor entering wakanda?

Note that all of these posters are saying things along the line of: "This is a valid interpretation of that stupid fucking thing you just said. But it is so fucking stupid, I am asking you for clarifying that that is what you intended to say".

Now, at this point, a regular user getting that "You have been quoted by three people in quick succession" notification would return to the thread with something along the lines of;
"Yeah, no, I phrased that badly; what I meant was that ______" and clarify their thought, to make clear that they are not so fucking stupid.

Notice that SugarNoodles does not do this!
Jeeeeeeesus Christ.

They instead choose to attack the people asking for clarification ("Read a fuckin article or two"), portray themselves as a victim of circumstance unable to expound on their original meaning ("I don't have time"), despite having the time to post this non-clarifying statement, and further raise a keyword to gain moderator attention (bad faith thought exercises).
This is because it was not - as it appears -  a stupid fucking thing to say.
It was a carefully constructed thing to say, to provoke a response from someone (anyone), that could then be leveraged into a ban.

Other posters who also like to see a good ole' banching a-going-down and who are aware of SugarNoodles protected status also join in the conversation;

Further note, that of the three posters SugarNoodles set bait out for, it was the weakest of the herd - the newest member unfamiliar with this technique - who was singled out by the accessories to this ban bait, and who cemented their fate by doing what - as described above - a rational person would do, which is on seeing people asking for clarification (except... they weren't asking for clarification, they jumped straight to LYNCH HIM GUD") attempted to clarify his position, in case it had been misunderstood.

In Conclusion

User Banned (1 Week): False equivalencies and disingenuous commentary surrounding gendered violence over multiple posts
Literally while I was writing this description of how ban-baiting happens, how it is specific toxic users that do it, and how when the moderators cater to these obnoxious polyps they ratchet the forum further into irredeemable cuntishness.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:57:23 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16161 on: May 17, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
 :no1curr

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16162 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
McPaul would have

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #16163 on: May 17, 2019, 02:05:36 PM »
 :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/bprgs1/we_are_the_women_behind_the_worlds_largest_adult/

look at all of this internalized misogyny! REE should put a stop to this, as these women don't know what they're doing!

BisMarckie

« Reply #16165 on: May 17, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-wish-we-could-go-back-to-the-insert-regressive-decade-is-the-most-blatant-display-of-white-privilege-in-meme-form.117538/

Jesus christ

What about us who want to live in an era where climate change wasn’t an issue and when you didn’t have to car about politics because everything was just fine? Why shouldn’t I be able to go back to 2014?

Averon

« Reply #16166 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »
Nostalgia is dog whistling for white supremacy? That's a new one.

BisMarckie

« Reply #16167 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Instant swipe left on a dating app is if a white girl is romanticizing shitty eras.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16168 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
:nsfw :nsfw :nsfw
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/bprgs1/we_are_the_women_behind_the_worlds_largest_adult/

look at all of this internalized misogyny! REE should put a stop to this, as these women don't know what they're doing!

Is that a side effect of heterosexism mom?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #16169 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »

:ohhh

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #16170 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »

omg
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #16171 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
John Oliver did a good segment on the Daily Show about this

You‘d be surprised how many takes  on societal and political issues start like this on resetera.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:19:23 PM by BisMarckie »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16172 on: May 17, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »

They've now really joined the "violence in media" is harmful club, huh? I guess that's at least consistent with their ideas about sexualization

Meanwhile a couple of months ago...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/did-killmonger-actually-believe-in-his-cause.106418/

:yeshrug
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #16173 on: May 17, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »

oh my god. the "hentai is art" shirt :dead
每天生气

stufte

« Reply #16174 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
omg

:dead

Gonna put that on my entertainment center right next to my ps4.

shosta

« Reply #16175 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
is wanting a pretty girlfriend who manages the number one hentai gaming site the new version of alt-right waifu? because if so, I'm alt-right now
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #16176 on: May 17, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
Let‘s be real though, why should I want to live in a time where there wasn’t a Nintendo Switch ™️ or Astro Bot Rescue Mission © ? :smug

Jansen

« Reply #16177 on: May 17, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
Does bork still post photos of his wife sanctioned shame room? Cuz i bet he has a poster that says "hentai is art" already

BisMarckie

« Reply #16178 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
is wanting a pretty girlfriend who manages the number one hentai gaming site the new version of alt-right waifu? because if so, I'm alt-right now

I legit thought that this was a company run by white male weebs. This is how hate sites like resetera can change your perception of the world.

shosta

« Reply #16179 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »
Oh, so you're familiar with this website
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #16180 on: May 17, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »

:beli

stufte

« Reply #16181 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »
GOT EM'!

shosta

« Reply #16182 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
Bllq21 11 points · 2 hours ago
How it was working with PewDiePie aka Felix promoting your sauce? Does it actually increases the sells?

TeamNutaku 11 points · 1 hour ago
Erica: Working with Felix was great! He's hilarious and we love him. It's def safe to say his promotion drove alot of hot sauce sales

每天生气

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #16183 on: May 17, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
I think that russians overdid with the bot to user ratio on ree.

PogiJones

« Reply #16184 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
excelsheetthief jumped into that topic to try and prove how fun and wacky they are, and coincidentally its immediately locked up.

Those tragic losers who constantly scour the forum looking for people to report. Imagine being such a giant dad you spend your days tone policing, backseat modding and snitching on other users to an internet janitor in the hopes you'll become their pet. Lol.

:drudge someones flashing the pogijonessignal  :drudge

I called out RedMercury and said he's full of crap in that thread, but I didn't get a single freaking like for it here. What's even the point of this site anymore.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #16185 on: May 17, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #16186 on: May 17, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
After EightBitNate set the bar for callouts, you need to up your callout game.
You might still be able on post on resetera and might be able to perform your ambassadorial duties, but Nate is winning the like wars.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16187 on: May 17, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »

Nostalgia is an excuse for ignorance, bigotry and stupidity

Iron Man 1 came out in 2008

People watching Endgame literally have over 10 year nostalgia for these characters

Also anyone playing a Mario or Zelda game  :wag  fortunately Splatoon is only 4 years old so it's still ok to enjoy it
Uncle

BisMarckie

« Reply #16188 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »

I was just following bork‘s orders.  :jgames

Drainage

« Reply #16189 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
I'll have you know that Finale Fireworker not only lives on his own but disowned his Trump supporting dad

We’re coming up on 3 years since Trump was elected. Surely that’s enough time for someone like Finale to forgive and forget?

PogiJones

« Reply #16190 on: May 17, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
You might still be able on post on resetera and might be able to perform your ambassadorial duties, but Nate is winning the like wars.

I'm triggered.  :rage His wasn't even a callout. He asked where Enzom was. I said Merc was full of crap. Mine is way more direct and assertive.

BisMarckie

« Reply #16191 on: May 17, 2019, 02:47:09 PM »

I'm triggered.  :rage His wasn't even a callout. He asked where Enzom was. I said Merc was full of crap. Mine is way more direct and assertive.

The resetera moderation staff thought otherwise or why would eightbitnate‘s post be actioned while you skated by? :smug

PogiJones

« Reply #16192 on: May 17, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »
Because nobody likes Merc

BisMarckie

« Reply #16193 on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Because nobody likes Merc

Then you weren’t calling him out. You were just bullying the nerdy kid nobody likes. Shameful behavior. :pacspit

shosta

« Reply #16194 on: May 17, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
This thread had a good run, but the trend of metacommentary about other forums is something we like to avoid.
Yeah, it was the commentary about other forums ::)
每天生气

PogiJones

« Reply #16195 on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »
Photo of me bullying poor Merc:

marrec

« Reply #16196 on: May 17, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »

The resetera moderation staff thought otherwise or why would eightbitnate‘s post be actioned while you skated by? :smug

ResetERA moderation actively disdain RedMercury and welcomes any direct callouts as long as they don't go so far as to violate any specific rules.

PogiJones

« Reply #16197 on: May 17, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »

Definitely deserving of a perm  :rage :rage :rage

BisMarckie

« Reply #16198 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »

Definitely worth a perm  :rage :rage :rage

Remember when poor shosta was briefly called AmyShosta because of the tyrannical Bire mods? :maf

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #16199 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

It wasn’t funny though, I generally only like things that make me laugh  :patel