Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3783630 times)

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #3540 on: March 18, 2019, 03:36:22 AM »
Yikes :
Perhaps derived from yoicks, a hunting call used to urge hounds after a fox, which is attested from 1765-1775, that also is sometimes used as an exclamation of excitement or triumph. Yoicks is perhaps related to the earlier hoicks. Hoicks (alternatively hoick, hoic or hoik) is a variant of hyke, which was used as an exclamation of encouragement to hounds hunting deer. Further etymology unknown.

:snob

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #3541 on: March 18, 2019, 03:37:47 AM »
I think ERA likes to say yikes because it's suspiciously close to a slur they really wanna say.  :doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3542 on: March 18, 2019, 04:43:44 AM »
Date's [sic] VA was defending Vic Mignonga and dismissing BLM/MeToo in an interview recently too

(Image removed from quote.)
Die on this hill breh, the Vic Malnutrition stories are questionable as fuck. 

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #3543 on: March 18, 2019, 05:05:09 AM »
:confused

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3544 on: March 18, 2019, 05:45:36 AM »
meant for the person you quoted

Snoopycat_

« Reply #3545 on: March 18, 2019, 06:01:46 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3546 on: March 18, 2019, 06:08:37 AM »
Centrism is best explained by Kingdom Hearts' main antagonist.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-does-centrism-mean-to-you.105954/page-4#post-18951839
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3547 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:15 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-does-centrism-mean-to-you.105954/page-3#post-18950883

:neogaf

And on the heels of that...

From an American standpoint (the only one I can even have an opinion on): the side that says "Can't we all just get along".

No, boogie. We will not "all get along".

Boogie :gamergate
ὕβρις

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #3548 on: March 18, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Centrism is best explained by Kingdom Hearts' main antagonist.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-does-centrism-mean-to-you.105954/page-4#post-18951839

Xehanort is trans. Xehanort is a person of color. Xehanort is an immigrant. Xehanort is a lesbian. Xehanort is a gay man. Xehanort is the disabled.

Xehanort is everything. And so are you, Sora.

Don’t be afraid of what you don’t know or understand. No one wants to hurt you. We are all just looking for our happily ever after.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3549 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »
Dox Emperor Conqueror of Youngblood GAF Slayer Era Mod Admiral Idi Amin Benji will be pleased to know the following discussion is still going on :

Quote from: GalaxyBrainchild
You're not going to get perfect comparisons because the footage was taken by different photographers and equipment, but we can deduce a few things based on the available evidence; you can fit more people in a room without seats than with them, and the area behind the podium at Bernie's rally is filled with people (all the way up to the stage with curtains) and that same area at Kamala's rally was not. Looking at the rally footage from both you can see that the people fill the space all the way to the back of the room in both events, so using basic physics, arithmetic and deductive logic it's pretty clear to me which rally held more people.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/2020-democratic-presidential-primary-ot-beto-joins-the-race.91234/page-276#post-18952209
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3550 on: March 18, 2019, 06:31:27 AM »
Also a little bit before, someone trying real hard to label Ichthyosaurus a white supremacy apologist and lover.
 :busta

If you told me Yang was being pushed by alt-righters pretending to be Dem's just to mess with people i'd believe you wholeheartedly.
Well, that is what is happening more or less lol.
Yang's "Yang Gang" is full of 4chan/8chan trolls. Searching Yang on social media results in lots of Pepe shit.

:fbm

https://www.resetera.com/threads/2020-democratic-presidential-primary-ot-beto-joins-the-race.91234/page-274#post-18947638
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:40:17 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3552 on: March 18, 2019, 07:23:34 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wait-capcom-hired-a-white-dude-who-pretends-to-be-black-and-says-nicca-to-voice-morrison-in-dmcv.105965/

I think some people on ERA have a wildly inflated sense of how much vetting goes into voice actors.

As a forum that prides itself on fighting for representation it's interesting that they keep ignoring that the model for Nico is half Malaysian

BisMarckie

« Reply #3553 on: March 18, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
Should have posted the full post Vom because it is glorious.

Today at 5:42 AM
Centrism is best explained by Kingdom Hearts' main antagonist. That centrist dipshit pretends he's all about "Balance" whenever he opens his mouth, blabbering about the importance of both Light and Darkness. When it's actually time to do stuff though, he sure magically seems to lean towards pure Darkness every single fucking time though, and never Light. 🤔

:expert

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #3555 on: March 18, 2019, 08:01:34 AM »

Propagandhim

« Reply #3556 on: March 18, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
That's a really tasteless tweet, though. 

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #3557 on: March 18, 2019, 08:37:47 AM »
it's nice to know enzom's got a job  :doge

if they ever do a Fat Albert reboot, he'd be perfect for Mushmouth.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3558 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »
people who think turn based games are antiquated can suck my dick.

I love tbs games it's my favorite genre, but when is the last time you played one that was innovative?

At this point, they are all just reboots/reimaginings of old archetypes.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3559 on: March 18, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
when was the last time you played a game of chess/shogi/mahjong that was innovative, the point of those games arent to be innovative (although some are with their battle systems, gear systems and magic systems) but to use the tools you have, or know when not to use finite resources to out-strategize the enemy. Strategizing is a timeless endeavour, it's so fundamental to many boardgames and table top games. Making these games play like kingdom heart is fucking cancer.

That a lot of popular turn based games' difficulty curve is so broken that you can 'attack,'attack','attack' is another story though.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3560 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:00 AM »
I pretty much play every single turn based RPG identically though. (Attack, Attack, Heal, Attack, Attack, Heal...)

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #3561 on: March 18, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
That's a really tasteless tweet, though.

Oh granted, a total d-bag tweet, but it’s the GOP Twitter. I expect no less.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3562 on: March 18, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
I love tbs games it's my favorite genre, but when is the last time you played one that was innovative?

whens the last time you played anything that you can attach a genre label to that was innovative?
TBS has emphasis on the S, because taking away time pressure and reflexive skill puts the strategy element front and centre.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3563 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/public-shaming-last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-hbo.105985/post-18951281

So that's John Oliver joining hbomberguy as era approved figures holding up a mirror and indirectly calling era posters pieces of shit.
Whats next? A contrapoints about fauxgressives?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3564 on: March 18, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/professional-team-sports-are-degenerate.106005/post-18954466

:doge :brazilcry :what :hhh

Friend, have you ever heard about these extravagant multi-million dollar budget time-wasting productions called "video games"?
You mean "art", "cutting-edge engineering", and "hobby with active participation"?

:popular

Propagandhim

« Reply #3565 on: March 18, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/professional-team-sports-are-degenerate.106005/post-18954466

:doge :brazilcry :what :hhh

Friend, have you ever heard about these extravagant multi-million dollar budget time-wasting productions called "video games"?
You mean "art", "cutting-edge engineering", and "hobby with active participation"?

:popular

multi-million dollar art

:sabu

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3566 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wait-capcom-hired-a-white-dude-who-pretends-to-be-black-and-says-nicca-to-voice-morrison-in-dmcv.105965/

I think some people on ERA have a wildly inflated sense of how much vetting goes into voice actors.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/reuben-langdon-dante-of-devil-may-cry-victim-blames-sexual-harassment-victims-thinks-me-too-and-black-lives-matter-goes-too-far.106010/post-18954883

huh, they really have cacpcom in the crosshairs right now.

Appalling that the company that brought us jill sandwich and fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight don't spend the money that era often cite as a AAA needless extravagance to hire VO artists who have the media training of a Brie Larson to stay on message at all times.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3567 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »

whens the last time you played anything that you can attach a genre label to that was innovative?
TBS has emphasis on the S, because taking away time pressure and reflexive skill puts the strategy element front and centre.

I think Hearthstone did a good job of incorporating RNG into a TCG. The digital space allowed them to randomly generate minion/cards in hand or on the field of play. Other variables (such as damage given/taken) helped create games that felt very different from each other, even if you played a Bo3  with the same decks.

How would you even innovate Turn-Based gameplay which due to its name must stay based in turns?

I guess kind of innovation would be to have limited time for performing actions within a turn (real-life limitation i.e. 60 secs) but that would suck.

Isn't that what BoF:Dragon Quarter basically did and everyone loved it?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:37:00 AM by ToxicAdam »

Propagandhim

« Reply #3568 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/reuben-langdon-dante-of-devil-may-cry-victim-blames-sexual-harassment-victims-thinks-me-too-and-black-lives-matter-goes-too-far.106010/post-18954883

Appalling that the company that brought us jill sandwich and fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight don't spend the money that era often cite as a AAA needless extravagance to hire VO artists who have the media training of a Brie Larson to stay on message at all times.

I'm about 15 minutes into the indicated timestamp from the OP and they sound like decent people making very reasonable points.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3569 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Turn based with simultaneous resolution has a few good examples (Frozen Synapse, Frozen Cortex and an interesting Fulda Gap late Cold War game I forgot the name of).
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3570 on: March 18, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dead-or-alive-6-photography-thread.105859/

:exxy

"Photography thread"  :doge

Surprised this hasn't been closed yet TBH
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3571 on: March 18, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3572 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:23 AM »

I think Hearthstone did a good job of incorporating RNG into a TCG. The digital space allowed them to randomly generate minion/cards in hand or on the field of play. Other variables (such as damage given/taken) helped create games that felt very different from each other, even if you played a Bo3 against with the same decks.

Its more convenient to do stuff like that in the digital space, but anyone whos played shit like Talisman is familiar with having multiple decks to simulate random penalty / reward generation.
You could totally turn Hearthstone into an RTS rather than a turn based game, and its strategic depth would suffer due to time pressure.
In fact, isn't there a legendary card that when in play dramatically reduces the time allowed to play cards to simulate what HS would play like if you were forced to play it like speed chess?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3573 on: March 18, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dead-or-alive-6-photography-thread.105859/

:exxy

"Photography thread"  :doge

Surprised this hasn't been closed yet TBH

【core values】

Jansen

« Reply #3574 on: March 18, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
"ERA"

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3575 on: March 18, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
This is Kratos as depicted in God of War ONE by the original creators of God of War. Why people think this character is caucasian boggles my mind. Same with Lara Croft’s whitewashing but that’s another topic.

:dunno :what

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3576 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
How would you even innovate Turn-Based gameplay which due to its name must stay based in turns?

- fancy 3D graphics and camera --> already got that with XCOM2
- simultaneous movement of you & the enemy --> kind of Overwatch but if it goes full-time then it's no longet TB but Real-Time with Pause
- skills, cover & shit --> already done by lots of games, Mario vs Ubisoft the latest example

I guess kind of innovation would be to have limited time for performing actions within a turn (real-life limitation i.e. 60 secs) but that would suck.

What do you want? 4D Chess?

On the flip side how is anything non-turn-based labeled "innovative" anymore, how is an active battle system innovative

To get away from turn-based RPGs I would call the game Baba is You innovative and also turn-based/Sokoban based

i.e. one of the oldest game types ever made

Uncle

BadAss2961

« Reply #3577 on: March 18, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »

What's funny is this idea of looking through an entire cast and crew for bad apples and condemning an entire game based on a couple people out of probably several hundreds that were involved. First it was the lead singer of a song in the game, Capcom cancelled him. But this latest bunch started with the Michael Jackson nod. After that comes the Morrison actor, and now Dante's actor (also Ken) who's been around for a very long time but somehow is only exposed just now.

ERA is childishly unrealistic with these things. I mean, good luck finding a large team of people who all have never said or done anything shady and align smoothly with your political views.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:02:23 AM by BadAss2961 »

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #3578 on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
Capcom’s infractions with DMC are arguably worse than THQ nordics but so far no one is calling for a complete boycott of Capcom softwar. This is probably because they actually make good games and doing so would actually inconvenience them.
Oi Oi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3579 on: March 18, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/capcom-hired-a-white-dude-who-pretends-to-be-black-and-says-nicca-to-voice-morrison-in-dmcv-yt-channel-full-of-transphobia-racism-and-antisemitism.105965/page-11
Quote from: Garlador, post: 18958525, member: 26767
I'm pretty sure DMCV had a different casting director and supervisor than Resident Evil 2 Remake, Mega Man 11, Monster Hunter, etc.

Yes, they should still be vetting their performers, but it's a problem that a LOT of video game companies still face. All of the following characters are voiced by white actors:
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I think this particular VA's more problematic views, however, only make the casting significantly worse.

:drudge

BOYCOTT CAPCOM
BOYCOTT SONY
BOYCOTT NINTENDO
BOYCOTT TELLTALE (RIP)
BOYCOTT UBISOFT

Add 'em to the list with THQ Nordic.  And remember...the 'T' in 'THQ' stands for 'Terrorist." :punch
ど助平

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #3580 on: March 18, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
Nintendo made 2 black characters in Smash have ape spirit animals and no one wants to boycott the company yet.
Oi Oi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3581 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:57 AM »
ResetEra should just ban all video game discussion and remove the gaming forum entirely- problem solved!
:rollsafe
ど助平

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3582 on: March 18, 2019, 11:52:23 AM »
Nintendo made 2 black characters in Smash have ape spirit animals and no one wants to boycott the company yet.

Still waiting for NoA employees to return to work after Christmas break. Any day now…
Margs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3583 on: March 18, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »
Centrism = nazism, got it ERA, thanks!

If you're not fighting the good fight by posting nonstop on Era and watching every single Marvel movie, you're enabling the alt right and neo nazis to thrive!
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3584 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »

Eternal Sonata did this and it did suck.

Really, the main way to "innovate" would be new rulesets and incremental changes here and there. Maybe more environmental interaction.
^_^

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3585 on: March 18, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
Is there ANY game anyone can think of in the last couple years where developers haven't been afraid to state they have a political message? Or are they all cowards?
If you dont count AAA, the 2064: Read Only Memories devs tell Trump voters to skip their game.

era problem with discourse about gaming in a nutshell; they don't know the fucking difference between textual reference and metatextual authorial intent or commentary.

paprikastaude

« Reply #3586 on: March 18, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
oh damn capcom has made too many awesome joyful games recently, time to stir shit up and fuel our rotten shit cores with drama and hate.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3587 on: March 18, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
ResetEra should just ban all video game discussion and remove the gaming forum entirely- problem solved!
:rollsafe

if you consider this to be their mission statement as to what they think a gaming forum should be:

it becomes more obvious how every day they stray further from gods light abandon their founding principles.

Discussions about games? "Better served in the OT"
Sales figures? :no1curr
Reviews? Give so little of a shit they have review threads without any fucking reviews in nowadays.

Gossip? Oh yeah, they fucking love their gossip.
but its not about the actual games themselves. Its about people, and increasingly people so tangentially related to games you wonder why they are even being brought up.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3588 on: March 18, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
This is Kratos as depicted in God of War ONE by the original creators of God of War. Why people think this character is caucasian boggles my mind. Same with Lara Croft’s whitewashing but that’s another topic.

:dunno :what
At some point she was supposed to be LatinX, IIRC, but that was before the first game even came out.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3589 on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
Laura Cruz

Edit:

They'd have no problem with this character at all. What with her tits hanging out.

Second edit:  The tough latina woman might also be a stereotype, so even more for them to like about this character that could've been.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3590 on: March 18, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
At some point she was supposed to be LatinX, IIRC, but that was before the first game even came out.

yeah, one of the archetypes a concept artist toyed with before a single line of code was written isn't an example of "whitewashing" a character.

So she'd be LateenX with british accent?

No, it predated literally anything else about the character outside of broad job description and general look

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3591 on: March 18, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
She's white in the concept art as well. Literally.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #3592 on: March 18, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
Oh fucking shit. now because they choose a British white woman FICTIONAL CHARACTER *concept* to go with BEFORE THE GAME CAME OUT, it's white washing?

I was white washed because my mom dated a black guy for a while but ended up having me with my white father instead.  :doge

This is 4D oppression chess.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3593 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
She's white in the concept art as well. Literally.

I'm sure its easier for that era member to imagine what a wonderfully realised character Laura Cruz would have been, and what a missed opportunity for promoting intersectionality the world lost.

Until you think about it for a minute and realise it would have been big tits sex kitten doing an outrrrrrrrageous accent

e: because honestly, bored little rich girl toff lara was inspired and made her an actual likable character. Something Crystal Dynamics still haven't figured out.

Boredfrom

« Reply #3594 on: March 18, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
oh damn capcom has made too many awesome joyful games recently, time to stir shit up and fuel our rotten shit cores with drama and hate.

I mean, I m starting to feel this is the real reason for the outrage meltdowns on RE.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3595 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
BAN ATLUS
BAN THQ
BAN FF9
BAN CDPR
BAN REDLETTERMEDIA
BAN THE WORD BOYS
BAN SMASHBROS
BAN YOUTUBE
BAN MEMES
BAN CAPCOM

DO IT ALREADY YOU COWARDS

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3596 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
Y'all remember the iconic Dr Kimberley Stride from Blam! Machinehead, amirite?

Boredfrom

« Reply #3597 on: March 18, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’d-rather-have-a-bunch-of-stereotypical-good-intentioned-characters-for-representation-than-no-representation-at-all.106059/

Tokenism is okay.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3598 on: March 18, 2019, 01:35:38 PM »
Is there ANY game anyone can think of in the last couple years where developers haven't been afraid to state they have a political message? Or are they all cowards?
If you dont count AAA, the 2064: Read Only Memories devs tell Trump voters to skip their game.

era problem with discourse about gaming in a nutshell; they don't know the fucking difference between textual reference and metatextual authorial intent or commentary.

Man, they really ran the "cowards" thing into the ground in true GafEra fashion.
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3599 on: March 18, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’d-rather-have-a-bunch-of-stereotypical-good-intentioned-characters-for-representation-than-no-representation-at-all.106059/

Tokenism is okay.

"I don't mind stereoty-"

"ATLUS DID WHHAAAAAAAAT?"