Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3751743 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
I understand what you’re trying to argue, but this is a terrible point.

RDJ has been likeable as Stark from day one. That’s practically the crux of the entire MCU.

Yes, because he is a male character, there really isn't that much difference in the way he's behaving to how Carol Danvers is behaving. The only difference is, she's a woman, and pathetic little insecure boys can't handle the fact that she doesn't fit what they think a woman should be.
It's not that hard to be a good person, it's not that hard to accept that certain groups of people aren't as privileged as you and have been programmed to behave a certain way, as have you (not you per se, the people that are hating on the film for stupid reasons) been programmed to expect them to behave that way. Why is it such a problem to accept that white men are privileged (yes, I am a white male), why is it so hard to accept that we are living in a time where changes are being made and women can finally be free from the shackles put on them by insecure men?
Because yes, this is what's going on with this stupid fucking movie and I'm in shock, like I literally can't believe these insecure spiteful evil people managed to get enough power for their voices to matter.

Captain Marvel doesn't owe you a boner.

She doesn't need it, and if you can't like an actually charismatic strong female character without getting one the problem is in you.

:era

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
Captain Marvel is probably not as going to be good as The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
Captain Marvel is pretty likely not going to be as good as Nikita (1990)
Captain Marvel is definitely not going to be as good as Aliens (1986)

Can people please just fucking stop pretending that Captain Marvel is anything more than it actually fucking is?
Its a popcorn action film based on kids picturebooks.
Its not a fucking social movement, and its not breaking brave new ground, jfc

:trigger

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »
update on china freakout boy, he's all set up and keeping his priorities straight!

*checks notes*

OK, I also just set up a Taobao account and well... I purchased a Sega Saturn game!!! (Some Neon Genesis Evangelion title as it was dirt cheap). Let's see how it goes.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/im-having-a-breakdown-please-someone-talk-to-me.100980/post-18644146

...oh

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
You know what they say, when in China....

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
Oh yeah, about that... Despite the offer saying it's until the 15th of July, in actuality my accommodation ends the 1st of July so it's two weeks shorter. The issue is that I already paid for a Greyhound and plane ticket on the assumed date of the 15th.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/im-having-a-breakdown-please-someone-talk-to-me.100980/post-18270603

:neogaf

marrec

« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2019, 08:57:54 AM »
I'm proud of my boy, he pushed through his mental breakdown and it's not like it's easy to find cheap Evangellion in China y'all this is a win

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
I'm proud of my boy, he pushed through his mental breakdown and it's not like it's easy to find cheap Evangellion in China y'all this is a win
i'm imagining he also got some hentai but doesn't want to admit it to resetti. if so, good on him

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #249 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
You guys going full REE not understanding an obvious joke there. :doge

I just meant the tweet was actually zhugex and not somebody else with the same avatar
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
Captain Marvel is probably not as going to be good as The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)

Can people please just fucking stop pretending that Captain Marvel is anything more than it actually fucking is?

Marvel wants Captain Marvel to be their Wonder Woman.  Captain Marvel is not, and will never be, Wonder Woman.  They don't have a single female character as recognizable as Wonder Woman and their best female characters are in team books like the Fantastic Four and the X-Men.  There have been multiple Captain Marvel solo series released over the past few years and none of them been particularly successful sales-wise. 

This is a boring character that most writers have no idea what to do with- I think Marvel has done an amazing job with the majority of their movies and has struck gold with pretty much every character they've introduced, but they're not all going to be winners and maybe this movie is the first one.  Dunno; still going to go see it tomorrow and maybe Captain Marvel will work better when she's paired up with the Avengers.
:idont
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »
update on china freakout boy, he's all set up and keeping his priorities straight!

*checks notes*

OK, I also just set up a Taobao account and well... I purchased a Sega Saturn game!!! (Some Neon Genesis Evangelion title as it was dirt cheap). Let's see how it goes.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/im-having-a-breakdown-please-someone-talk-to-me.100980/post-18644146

...oh
His avatar is a great nod to his other fanservice thread.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »
I understand what you’re trying to argue, but this is a terrible point.

RDJ has been likeable as Stark from day one. That’s practically the crux of the entire MCU.

Yes, because he is a male character, there really isn't that much difference in the way he's behaving to how Carol Danvers is behaving. The only difference is, she's a woman, and pathetic little insecure boys can't handle the fact that she doesn't fit what they think a woman should be.
It's not that hard to be a good person, it's not that hard to accept that certain groups of people aren't as privileged as you and have been programmed to behave a certain way, as have you (not you per se, the people that are hating on the film for stupid reasons) been programmed to expect them to behave that way. Why is it such a problem to accept that white men are privileged (yes, I am a white male), why is it so hard to accept that we are living in a time where changes are being made and women can finally be free from the shackles put on them by insecure men?
Because yes, this is what's going on with this stupid fucking movie and I'm in shock, like I literally can't believe these insecure spiteful evil people managed to get enough power for their voices to matter.

Captain Marvel doesn't owe you a boner.

She doesn't need it, and if you can't like an actually charismatic strong female character without getting one the problem is in you.

:era

If she's meant to be treated like all the male characters, she actually does

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
Did re do a pedo avatar cleanse?

Seeing a lot less creepy anime avatars and more default icons.

Captain MarvelResetera doesn't owe you a boner.

marrec

« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2019, 09:13:53 AM »
If I pay 15 bucks to go see Captain Marvel in theaters the least that she could do is give me a semi

Seriously tho.... what?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:37 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/comments/aymjxe/thats_like_1500_worth_of_games/

ZHuge ANNIHILATED

wow it's real

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1103746357872021505

See! See! Ree can do fun threads and jokes. They're hilarious people guys.

I told you it's not just all, "fuck Bernie" and "I'm lost in China and am having a fucking hissy fit, someone rescue me please".
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Marvel wants Captain Marvel to be their Wonder Woman.  Captain Marvel is not, and will never be, Wonder Woman.  They don't have a single female character as recognizable as Wonder Woman and their best female characters are in team books like the Fantastic Four and the X-Men.  There have been multiple Captain Marvel solo series released over the past few years and none of them been particularly successful sales-wise. 

This is a boring character that most writers have no idea what to do with- I think Marvel has done an amazing job with the majority of their movies and has struck gold with pretty much every character they've introduced, but they're not all going to be winners and maybe this movie is the first one.  Dunno; still going to go see it tomorrow and maybe Captain Marvel will work better when she's paired up with the Avengers.

I know why Corporate want MCU CM to be huge and fix their bookline, but I don't get why certain Consumers are pretending this is some brave new ground to be treading.

Like, we could have had a ScarJo helmed MCU Mission: Impossible / Homeland knock off a decade ago, and she's an MCU character people like more than Hawkeye

e: Fuck, they could have grabbed Besson and ScarJo and made something better than Lucy certainly

Boredfrom

« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »

She could be a great supporting character or in a superhero film that doesn’t try to follow the MCU formula, but those aspects that could make her interesting  doesn’t exactly maker her Superman/WonderWoman caliber.

For that matter, does Captain Marvel in general is beloved? I just remember him dying from cancer, being Jesus Christ is Earth X and his son going nuts and killing everyone?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2019, 09:32:39 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-are-some-games-that-can-help-me-pass-my-driving-test-tomorrow.104104/post-18636722

:esports

Its a shame Crazy Taxi hasn't been remastered for this gen. That game could totally help but I dunno where I could get my hands on it.

:cmonson

Go buy one of those janky German mundane tasks simulator if you insist on a "video game". At least those have some semblance of enforcing the code.

There's not ONE game that can help??? Wow. :/

:gamer
ὕβρις

Anti-Monitor

« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
People were fine with both Wonder Woman and Alita. People have been fine with Mad Max and Hunger Games. People have been okay with women in “”””male dominated”””” genres since Alien.

People, however, have never liked Carol Danvers because she’s either an unlikable fascist or an unlikable bore, with the most generic powerset and costume introduced yet to the MCU, so while I hoped Marvel Studios pulled it off and made a great movie, it’s not terribly surprising that like so many authors before them, they failed at making anyone give a shit about Carol. She’s just a bad character pushed into fabricated relevance by Marvel needing their own Wonder Woman rather than embracing their own great female characters like She-Hulk, and not having access to Sue Storm, Jean Grey or Rogue.

Captain Marvel is just a dull character. Why are some trying to argue that her movie can’t possibly be dull?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
also she got no ass :shaq2

marrec

« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »

She could be a great supporting character or in a superhero film that doesn’t try to follow the MCU formula, but those aspects that could make her interesting  doesn’t exactly maker her Superman/WonderWoman caliber.

For that matter, does Captain Marvel in general is beloved? I just remember him dying from cancer, being Jesus Christ is Earth X and his son going nuts and killing everyone?

She's certainly no Wonder Woman but she's more popular than some of the heroes that MCU has put over (like Ant-Man) and she's certainly more popular and well known than Black Widow was. Her problem is that Marvel keeps trying to make her their face and nobody wants her to be the face.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »
That's what's so hard to get people to understand unless they're a f****** survivalist type deep in the Appalachians, racists have to do what everybody else does and compartmentalize to operate in some way, shape, or form in day-to-day society.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/let%E2%80%99s-discuss-the-stupidity-of-%E2%80%9Chow-can-they-be-a-racist-if%E2%80%A6%E2%80%9D-or-%E2%80%9Ci%E2%80%99m-not-a-racist-because-i%E2%80%A6%E2%80%9D.104153/post-18646710

??? what word is he censoring? this is why i shouldn't read this stuff before my second cup of coffee

marrec

« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
I think they censored fascist... for some reason?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »

strange. also a survivalist prepper type being a facist? ??? :lol

marrec

« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
That's the thing that threw me like, I understand that there are racist survivalist types, but fashy ones? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Boredfrom

« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »

She's certainly no Wonder Woman but she's more popular than some of the heroes that MCU has put over (like Ant-Man) and she's certainly more popular and well known than Black Widow was. Her problem is that Marvel keeps trying to make her their face and nobody wants her to be the face.

I think they wanted to pull a IronMan (she does share some traits with him) but that would requiere a god tier actress and that the first Iron Man  wasn’t the standard structure of every MCU film.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
@bork, I think captain Marvel's true awfulness will come out *when* she is paired with the avengers, imagine this new person coming in out of nowhere a month before the biggest marvel movie to date, talking down to them and swooping in to undeservedly save the heroes people have been following and cheering for the last 15 years and makes them all look useless and dumb. Hoo boy, the fallout will be immense.

It's going to be worse than when Falcon went back in time and made Captain America look like gutter trash :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
People were fine with both Wonder Woman and Alita. People have been fine with Mad Max and Hunger Games. People have been okay with women in “”””male dominated”””” genres since Alien.

I mean, Aliens is literally the template for the modern action hero film, which didn't just have Ripley, it also had Vasquez.
Plus you have series like Resident Evil or Underworld which are 100% female-kick-ass action flicks, and which have gone on way longer than most action movie franchises have.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »

I can prove you wrong by posting comic book sales numbers, but I don't care enough to do so.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
That's the thing that threw me like, I understand that there are racist survivalist types, but fashy ones? That doesn't seem to make sense.

AFAICS most of the racist survivalist types are super paranoid about fascism, and extend their fear and hatred of big government to things like the UN being some illuminati new world order type shadow government type shit

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »

People, however, have never liked Carol Danvers because she’s either an unlikable fascist or an unlikable bore, with the most generic powerset and costume introduced yet to the MCU, so while I hoped Marvel Studios pulled it off and made a great movie, it’s not terribly surprising that like so many authors before them, they failed at making anyone give a shit about Carol. She’s just a bad character pushed into fabricated relevance by Marvel needing their own Wonder Woman rather than embracing their own great female characters like She-Hulk, and not having access to Sue Storm, Jean Grey or Rogue.

Captain Marvel is just a dull character. Why are some trying to argue that her movie can’t possibly be dull?
I stopped watching these superhero movies a while back, as they're not my cup of tea, but i'd watch a She-Hulk movie, if it was crazy enough, and included her lawyer work into the plot (instead of being another little cog in their galactic MCU machine).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »

A friend said he saw an ad for extras at the studios down here, including them looking for a butt-double.  :lol

I can prove you wrong by posting comic book sales numbers, but I don't care enough to do so.

Yeah, no way that's true, especially when Ant-Man has had two movies already and Black Widow has been in multiple films.  "Captain Marvel" has been the name that more than one character has been given over the years and I doubt that your average non-comic reading fan has any idea who she is.  IIRC they put her in one of the Avengers animated kids' shows but kept her as Ms. Marvel.
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
I stopped watching these superhero movies a while back, as they're not my cup of tea, but i'd watch a She-Hulk movie, if it was crazy enough, and included her lawyer work into the plot (instead of being another little cog in their galactic MCU machine).

A She Hulk movie would basically be Ally McBeal, except instead of her having wacky daydream interludes between the courtroom lawyery stuff it would be her beating the shit out of super villains

Boredfrom

« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »

A friend said he saw an ad for extras at the studios down here, including them looking for a butt-double.  :lol

Yeah, no way that's true, especially when Ant-Man has had two movies already and Black Widow has been in multiple films.  "Captain Marvel" has been the name that more than one character has been given over the years and I doubt that your average non-comic reading fan has any idea who she is.  IIRC they put her in one of the Avengers animated kids' shows but kept her as Ms. Marvel.

She was in the old XMen cartoon, she was part of the backstory of Rogue.

Pepinappe

• Ass
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »
Just done watched Captain Marvel. It's a mid-tier Marvel movie at best. Not top 5 material, but certainly not the borefest that Thor 2 was. Heck, might even put it above Age of Ultron. Enjoyed it on the same level as Wakanda Forever, perhaps a little bit more so.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/elizabeth-warren-says-she-wants-to-break-up-amazon-google-and-facebook.104166/post-18648185

Pretty sure if this happens its going to backfire in a way that nobody wants or was intended.

FB is huge, because it kind of has to be; its like Twitter. There's no point having more than one social network, and its counter productive to try and make more than one; you want one where everyone you know is definitely on it. Like, you can kind of argue the case for having LinkedIn for business relations and Facebook for personal relations, but why do you need more than that?
Its like when ICQ / MSN / AIM were all milling around - people just wanted one that everyone was on, hence Trillian.

What you want to do is have oversight over what FB is doing with all of that information, and up your privacy game (yeah, which is going to make the NSA, FBI and CIA get pissed at you because they don't want that because it makes their jobs harder) but whats the fix for Facebook? Government Funding for a MySpace bail-out revival? Taking away their messaging apps, so you have a social network everyones on but that you cant message, and a messaging app that none of your contacts are on? why?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »
Warren has terrible advisors. I can tell because alot of the era posters in that thread are like "yeah, good idea Queen!".

marrec

« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

I'm looking through sales numbers and Carol has pretty consistently outperformed Ant-Man since 2014. Historically she's a low-tier book but since Marvel's been pushing her she's gained more recognition. I'm not sure what time frame we're talking about here though, I'm sure before the 2010s she was bottom of the charts.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/happy-international-womens-day.104162/post-18647556

This like the CM stuff really fucking annoys me - its a blatantly transparent and cynical marketing effort by PlayStation to co-opt identity politics in order to sell products.

Anti-Monitor

« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »

A She Hulk movie would basically be Ally McBeal, except instead of her having wacky daydream interludes between the courtroom lawyery stuff it would be her beating the shit out of super villains
This is why I always wanted a She Hulk movie. But of course, you'd need to go truly wacky and creative, especially if you want to go over the top and fourth wall breaking like Deadpool, with a unique female character who is strong, intelligent, and sexually liberated. Captain Marvel is comparatively a lot easier to do, since she's a far more generic character.

But of course, I understand why there's no She Hulk movie, they don't want their first female character to get a movie to ""simply"" be a female version of a male hero (which is what Carol ironically is, anyways). But damn it, I don't care. Make Incredible Hulk 2: She Hulk Too. And make Ms. Marvel instead of Captain Marvel.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/happy-international-womens-day.104162/post-18647556
(Image removed from quote.)

This like the CM stuff really fucking annoys me - its a blatantly transparent and cynical marketing effort by PlayStation to co-opt identity politics in order to sell products.
Poor Lady Maria is clearly uncomfortable there. I like the pic though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2019, 10:44:19 AM »

It's a totally harmless, fun piece of art tho ?
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »

International Womens Day isn't some fluff thing invented by Hallmark to sell products in a down season like Grandparents Day or Rape Day though, it was created by socialist movements to celebrate suffrage and it legit :trigger me to see it get bounced on to push a Support Women! Buy Playstation™! message

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »

This is why I always wanted a She Hulk movie. But of course, you'd need to go truly wacky and creative, especially if you want to go over the top and fourth wall breaking like Deadpool, with a unique female character who is strong, intelligent, and sexually liberated.

I think you're onto something there; it would probably get slammed as a "Deadpool rip off" despite doing that shit loooooooooooooooooong before they made Deadpool more than a shitty Deathstroke knock off

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
International Womens Day isn't some fluff thing invented by Hallmark to sell products in a down season like Grandparents Day or Rape Day though, it was created by socialist movements to celebrate suffrage and it legit :trigger me to see it get bounced on to push a Support Women! Buy Playstation™! message
at this point every holiday has become that, so i guess i'm just used to it.

Cauliflower Of Love

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »

I like how it's a compilation of all of Sony's wonderful well-known female characters like Alloy and the girl version of Tearaway guy and

Time to make another Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale It's Straight Up Dawg Time
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »

I like how it's a compilation of all of Sony's wonderful well-known female characters like Alloy and the girl version of Tearaway guy and

Time to make another Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale It's Straight Up Dawg Time

:wag dismissing female bloodborne guy :wag

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
The Nintendo version of that image is like DC flexing Wonder Woman at Marvel's Carol

Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
typical ableist nintendo hiding samus wheelchair

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »

I'm not sure how flat of an ass Larsen really has though or if it's just shitty costume design were they were terrified of making her looks sexual

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #293 on: March 08, 2019, 10:59:52 AM »
THE FUTURE WAS NOW :japancry

ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »

Come on man... this was inevitable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
But of course, I understand why there's no She Hulk movie, they don't want their first female character to get a movie to ""simply"" be a female version of a male hero (which is what Carol ironically is, anyways). But damn it, I don't care. Make Incredible Hulk 2: She Hulk Too. And make Ms. Marvel instead of Captain Marvel.

Marvel still doesn't have the film rights to Hulk -Universal does, IIRC- and that may be why we haven't seen much in the way of Hulk-related characters in the MCU (and would explain the lack of She-Hulk).  IIRC there's some clause or loophole or whatever that allows Marvel to use Hulk in other movies, but he can't be in his own movie for whatever reason.
ど助平

« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:42 AM »
It really is just that set pic.

There are plenty of shots in the movie where her butt looks fine and you can tell it’s not a double
She

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »

Who cares  :idont

The socialists can have international womens day. We will take Venezuela.  8)
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »

I'm not sure how flat of an ass Larsen really has though or if it's just shitty costume design were they were terrified of making her looks sexual

Like I said...they hired a butt double for her.  :doge
ど助平