Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3798694 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #39660 on: August 22, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
There is a very simple way to lose weight;  work out a lot and don't eat very much.   Do mostly cardio but do some resistance training as well. 

It's difficult as hell though;  eating less is hard on it's own, working out makes you  hungrier.     Will power.

Healthy?  That's another question lol

It's not just or necessarily eating less (unless you're downing like five cheeseburgers every day), but eating healthier.  Cut the shitty junk food and drink out and watch as pounds magically melt away.  But yeah, portion control is needed if you're going off the charts.

I think these people's problem is that they're thinking being "thick" is the same thing as being obese.

Watch out for this.

I've seen people eat chicken sandwiches over hamburgers because it's "more healthy", ignoring the fact that the chicken is fried.

There's lots of "just eat clean" stuff out there, but zero changes to portions. A lot of people think just because you're eating healthy means you can eat as much as you want, when their goal is to lose weight, obese people have a poor litmus test of what "no longer hungry" even is. My dad, the person with all the obesity related diseases, thinks he can eat as much as he wants as long as it's healthy. This is also where people think they're eating "healthy" and end up drowning their salad in dressing, oil, bread crumbs, and cheese.

So yeah, it is about eating less for most people. Once you realize a table spoon of oil is like 200 calories you'll stop using it in salads reallll quick.

Moderation is key. There's nothing wrong with a burger now and then. There's nothing wrong with having a pizza. Maybe just have one slice.

Cutting down on salad dressing, cheese, and whatnot can be thought of eating less, sure, but that's more eating healthier- you can still have a big-ass salad as long as you watch what you put on top of it.
ど助平

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39661 on: August 22, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »
Food has an opiate-like effect. So, if you're depressed or stressed (and poor) it becomes a cheap way to "get high".

Ban Caesar Salad, legalise marihuana

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #39662 on: August 22, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
I'm 6'4" and 58kg so it's hard for me to even understand how people become fat. To lose weight all you have to do is nothing at all.

Food has an opiate-like effect. So, if you're depressed or stressed (and poor) it becomes a cheap way to "get high".

Back in the day everyone ingested copious amounts of alcohol and cigarettes daily (which had a diuretic effect on people), now they've replaced it with cheap, easy food.

Someone make a correlation chart w/ obesity starting when we phased this out

https://twitter.com/HistoryInPics/status/1163798014609281027

Shit, these guys knew how to party

marrec

« Reply #39663 on: August 22, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
In 1888 they skillfully combined their "One Night Cough Syrup" meanwhile here in 2019 they're cookin' up dope with an uzi.

smdh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #39664 on: August 22, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »
MCU spidey didnt even have to deal with relatable problems. All of the kids in his class clearly like him more than flash thompson, every person in his social circle is more than equipped to be supportive of his innermost secrets, and he hits it off great with all the women he's interested in.  Everyyhing just sort of works out very conveniently in his personal life, all of his drama in these films relates purely to the dangers of his superhero life. He isn't worried about mundane shit.
Spiderman is the worst popular comic book character ever. Teenage reject powertrip fantasy at its worst. Fuck Spiderman.
Reading the beloved garbage Ultimate Spider-Man at the same time that everyone is losing their minds made me realize this. It's where the MCU has stolen everything from and it's inherently broken. Peter is "fifteen" but understands any form of science at the level of the fourth smartest person in the world supposedly, every woman/girl swoons/fights over him, and nobody questions how he suddenly became the star basketball player at school because the coach needed an extra player and randomly selected him to fill out the roster but he's dunking from half court over everyone. He breaks the illiterate Flash Thompson's hand and he's the most popular kid in school from then on.

Teenage Spider-Man since he originally aged out in the 1970's isn't just boring, but actively awful nonsense.

Teenage superheroes in general that aren't legacies are lame. (edit: Theory even works in the case of Spider-Man. :doge) "Teenage" heroes who are 18-19 for decades don't count, that's cheating, Mr. Grayson and Mr. Drake. More JSA, less Spider-Man.

The best part of Ultimate is that even though only one person wrote it Peter's stated age changes constantly, even within the same story, for NO RAISIN. Also everyone's parents/parent-figures are dying constantly and nobody really cares after a dramatic large panel shot of them getting a hug. All hail Bendis, God of Output. (Unless it's Powers of course.)

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #39665 on: August 22, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »
Goddamn enough with the obesity shit. Can we go back to talking about Spiderman?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I have the proportional fat of a spider.
Oi Oi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39666 on: August 22, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
The missed opportunity with Marvel Spider-Man was the 5 year gap.

The only character that could've had a real impact on (Peter), conveniently had all this friends, classmates, teachers and aunt 'snapped' away as well.
It would've been interesting if MJ was now 5 years older, moved on with her life, got a boyfriend etc. and then a young Peter returned or if Aunt May was left behind alone.
Moved on with her life without Peter and suddenly she has to care for this kid again.

Interesting opportunities, none taken.  :doge
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #39667 on: August 22, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
A patch for Marvel Puzzle Quest? Is Disney already holding S*ny's feet to the fire by patching out Spider-Man from this beloved game?!?

Hire me Game Informer!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39668 on: August 22, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Now that I think about it Nintendo did more interesting things with the 7 year time-gap in Ocarina of Time than Disney did with theirs.  :doge
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39669 on: August 22, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
A patch for Marvel Puzzle Quest? Is Disney already holding S*ny's feet to the fire by patching out Spider-Man from this beloved game?!?

Hire me Game Informer!

This isn't the conspiracy thread...oh wait, I guess it is now.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39670 on: August 22, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
"Sorry MJ, Spider-Man was a Skrull. Peter died fighting Thanos."

"What's that now? A Skrull that looks like Tony? No, that is Tony! A Skrull took his place and died for him!"

Disney presents IRON M4N: F U SONY

:success
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39671 on: August 22, 2019, 02:08:01 PM »
Iron Man is Tony Stark's fursona

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #39672 on: August 22, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
"Sorry MJ, Spider-Man was a Skrull. Peter died fighting Thanos."

"What's that now? A Skrull that looks like Tony? No, that is Tony! A Skrull took his place and died for him!"

Disney presents IRON M4N: F U SONY

:success
except skrulls are good guys in the MCU  :brain

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #39673 on: August 22, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »
Didn't we basically already know that the CTR controversy was started by a troll? I could have sworn y'all talked about that.

It sure seemed like it, but there was still some plausible deniability between resetera usual ressetterrraing to their Special Interest Groups.
The fact the same poster also put out a hit on Ion Fury makes that plausible deniability a lot more suspect.

e: and "downplaying other users concerns" as a bannable offence would certainly suggest its a lot fucking easier to start a witch hunt when rational people can't chime in with "fucking seriously? Bro. Come the fuck on"

:neogaf  :crazy
ὕβρις

Shuri

« Reply #39674 on: August 22, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
It's very easy to gain weight, especially with all the fast food options and temptation. Obesity is also often the consequences of many other problems affecting a person. Eating  can easily become a  coping mechanism, just like drinking, smoking, drug abuse, pretending the enjoy the nintendo switch, and so on. It's a form of self abuse.

It's also a problem that sneaks on you over the years. You start getting bigger. Exercising becomes harder and harder. You start to get older too. You start developing more and more problems (back problems, diabetes, etc). Everything gets harder. Life, in general, gets harder. Then you start developing self-esteem issues, it affects your work, then you start to experience sleep apnea, and so on and on, it's an avalanche of shit slowly drowning you.

And yes, some people are also  just total morons and eat themselves to death because they're idiots and think that eating  pizza 5 times a week is OK

I think it's a pretty multi-layered problem that just can't be easily be fixed by saying 'Stop drinking gravy lol'. It's  like telling people suffering from depression that they should 'smile and stop being so bummed out".

Nutrition and exercise are tools to solve this problem, but a big part of the battle is treating mental health problems, personal issues and also identifying the causes of those problems. Just like substance abuse.  If you don't want to patch the holes and just pump the water out, the boat will sink eventually.

If you can't fix that personal problems  part, the physical aspect of the battle is like playing on nightmare mode.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39675 on: August 22, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

Hire me Game Informer!

This isn't the conspiracy thread...oh wait, I guess it is now.

thats what they want you to think

Clockwork5

« Reply #39676 on: August 22, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Yeah I had a friend growing up who ate like that, and on into adulthood.   Like auschwitz thin his entire life.

Felt like I was being starved every time I stayed at his house for a day.   

But yeah being not that active but not eating much is a good long term strategy;  people who maintain fitness via heavy athletic activity can struggle because a lifestyle change (like becoming an adult) can dramatically effect the amount of time they can spend doing the activities their body is used to.

If you are talking strictly about weight, then yes, not eating much and sitting around all day will keep you thin. However the benefits of exercise extend far beyond just a body image boost. Those who don’t eat much and refrain from exercising are still likely to struggle with high blood pressure, heart disease, high levels of cholesterol and have a much higher risk of cancer. But hey, at least you will be looking good when you die at 68 years old.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39677 on: August 22, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
It's very easy to gain weight, especially with all the fast food options and temptation. Obesity is also often the consequences of many other problems affecting a person. Eating  can easily become a  coping mechanism, just like drinking, smoking, drug abuse, pretending the enjoy the nintendo switch, and so on. It's a form of self abuse.

It's also a problem that sneaks on you over the years. You start getting bigger. Exercising becomes harder and harder. You start to get older too. You start developing more and more problems (back problems, diabetes, etc). Everything gets harder. Life, in general, gets harder. Then you start developing self-esteem issues, it affects your work, then you start to experience sleep apnea, and so on and on, it's an avalanche of shit slowly drowning you.

And yes, some people are also  just total morons and eat themselves to death because they're idiots and think that eating  pizza 5 times a week is OK

I think it's a pretty multi-layered problem that just can't be easily be fixed by saying 'Stop drinking gravy lol'. It's  like telling people suffering from depression that they should 'smile and stop being so bummed out".

Nutrition and exercise are tools to solve this problem, but a big part of the battle is treating mental health problems, personal issues and also identifying the causes of those problems. Just like substance abuse.  If you don't want to patch the holes and just pump the water out, the boat will sink eventually.

If you can't fix that personal problems  part, the physical aspect of the battle is like playing on nightmare mode.
You have to start somewhere though and little improvements are easier to make on the weight front than the mental front.
At least, that's what friends of mine who coped with it told me. Once they started living healthier their mental state also improved.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #39678 on: August 22, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
There is a very simple way to lose weight;  work out a lot and don't eat very much.   Do mostly cardio but do some resistance training as well. 

It's difficult as hell though;  eating less is hard on it's own, working out makes you  hungrier.     Will power.

Healthy?  That's another question lol

It's not just or necessarily eating less (unless you're downing like five cheeseburgers every day), but eating healthier.  Cut the shitty junk food and drink out and watch as pounds magically melt away.  But yeah, portion control is needed if you're going off the charts.

I think these people's problem is that they're thinking being "thick" is the same thing as being obese.

Watch out for this.

I've seen people eat chicken sandwiches over hamburgers because it's "more healthy", ignoring the fact that the chicken is fried.

There's lots of "just eat clean" stuff out there, but zero changes to portions. A lot of people think just because you're eating healthy means you can eat as much as you want, when their goal is to lose weight, obese people have a poor litmus test of what "no longer hungry" even is. My dad, the person with all the obesity related diseases, thinks he can eat as much as he wants as long as it's healthy. This is also where people think they're eating "healthy" and end up drowning their salad in dressing, oil, bread crumbs, and cheese.

So yeah, it is about eating less for most people. Once you realize a table spoon of oil is like 200 calories you'll stop using it in salads reallll quick.

Moderation is key. There's nothing wrong with a burger now and then. There's nothing wrong with having a pizza. Maybe just have one slice.

Cutting down on salad dressing, cheese, and whatnot can be thought of eating less, sure, but that's more eating healthier- you can still have a big-ass salad as long as you watch what you put on top of it.

"Thought of" No. It literally is eating less.

The idea that you must cut certain things entirely out of your diet is precisely why fat people don't want to and consider it a restriction. I eat whatever I want. Rather than say "no McDonalds" maybe instead of getting a fucking 1500 calorie meal and drink, get a Happy Meal with water.

Sure, you can still have a big ass salad, but having a big ass salad is part of the problem. Have you seen American food portions? You've been to and have lived in Japan. Compare American food portions with Japanese. You can certainly have a salad. But most people are just going to overload it. Cutting stuff out is a good idea, but why do that all the time? Sounds like a fucking prison to me. So rather than eat all of the salad, maybe eat half of it.

But that requires willpower and listening to your body.

And to be honest, most salads suck unless it's at a super fancy restaurant. There are far better alternatives to salad.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #39679 on: August 22, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
Why are you so caustic about this Cindi? This is why people thing you got cucked by a fatty, because you're posting multi paragraph screeds denying the extremely mild take of "yeah cico is legit but there are also other factors at play." JFC

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39681 on: August 22, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »

It's not eating less if you're using less of/cutting out one thing, but replacing it with another.

The idea that you must cut certain things entirely out of your diet is precisely why fat people don't want to and consider it a restriction. I eat whatever I want. Rather than say "no McDonalds" maybe instead of getting a fucking 1500 calorie meal and drink, get a Happy Meal with water.

You can try a program like Weight Watchers, then eat whatever you want...within the constraints of the program.   If you're used to eating too much shit, then yes, it is going to be a restriction.  That's what it takes to lose weight.

Sure, you can still have a big ass salad, but having a big ass salad is part of the problem. Have you seen American food portions? You've been to and have lived in Japan. Compare American food portions with Japanese. You can certainly have a salad. But most people are just going to overload it. Cutting stuff out is a good idea, but why do that all the time? Sounds like a fucking prison to me. So rather than eat all of the salad, maybe eat half of it.

Go to talk to a professional.  I started going to a dietician, which is 100% covered by my insurance plan- I changed up my general diet and have dropped a shitload of weight already.  In no way do I feel restricted or like I'm in a prison.  I cut out the shit and just eat healthier.  There's plenty of non-junky foods out of there that taste great.

But like you said- willpower.  If you're not willing to commit and don't want to do what it takes to get healthier...don't kid yourself.  It's not going to happen.

And to be honest, most salads suck unless it's at a super fancy restaurant. There are far better alternatives to salad.

I eat a salad almost every night for dinner- tastes great to me.  I put exactly what I want to in it.
:idont
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #39682 on: August 22, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »
Game Informer EXCLUSIVE: All the soldiers in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare have UNREALISTIC and INHUMAN body types. Why is Infinity Ward body shaming? Where do the soldiers store their organs?

Game Informer Magazine is a division of The Benji-Sales Corporation, a Fortune 500 Company.

Himu

« Reply #39683 on: August 22, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
Struggling to average a pound a week over the course of a month? This can be disheartening and question why you're doing what you're doing.

I doubt that person is obese. It is much easier to lose weight as an obese person than trying to finally hit to those final pounds.

And I think that's what people mean by just saying the CICO thing is complicated. 3500 calories is a pound of fat. But how do you calculate calories in versus calories out exactly to know whether your gameplan is correct? How many calories am I eating in a day? How many am I burning? There's no exact way to figure this out. There are ways to estimate it, but those won't tell you specifically what you need to be doing to get the scale readout to be what you are hoping it to be at the end of the week.

This is why you track what you eat for a week or two.

You buy a food scale. You track every thing you put in your mouth with MyPlate or something. Before you eat cooked food, weigh it.

At the end of the week you will know full well why you're fat. Guarantee.

You don't set a gameplan without knowing the exact causes. Once you know the causes, you eliminate them and relearn proper eating habits. You've got that food scale. Now you know that the proper portion of a helping of meat is 3 Oz, if you bother to do your research. And in terms of size, about the shape of a deck of cards. You use calorie counting to retrain eating habits and then take the training wheels off once you've instilled in yourself proper control.

It's also about being honest about yourself. People underestimate how many calories they some times. You might see a tick up on the scale and be like,"I did everything the same!" but in actuality you may have skimped a bit on exercise. Or maybe you went to town on food that week.

So I really don't think it's that complicated. I say this as a former obese person. This of course waivers from person to person. I was never "I'M ADDICTED TO FOOD!!!" obese but much more "I overeat and I have no fucking clue how much I should eat" obese.

At the end of the day it's all willpower. In order to lose weight you have to move against the bulk of society, especially if you lived around fat people a lot of your life.

People will often say,"you don't need to count calories, it's unsustainable. Our ancestors didn't count calories." They're right. Our ancestors also didn't have Jumbo sized sodas that are 500 calories minimum or fast food meals that literally 75% of the recommended daily calorie limit. If you don't count, or are at least cognizant of calories in today's contemporary American society and you're trying to lose weight, you might as well do so blind.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #39684 on: August 22, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
A "big ass salad" (assuming we're talking about some fruits, mostly veggies, and a light dressing like vinegar) will absolutely be more healthy than even a happy meal. You will probably get full without overeating. Fast food is bad for your cardiovascular health, it's way easier to end up overeating, and it's poor nutritionally (simple carbs, little to no greens, "bad" cholesterol).

Agree though that you can't just go to town on whole grain pasta and think that's healthy. There are no healthy foods, only healthy diets.
每天生气

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #39685 on: August 22, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »
Counterpoint:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39686 on: August 22, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cnbc-stan-lees-daughter-no-one-could-have-treated-my-father-worse-than-marvel-and-disneys-executives.136567/

Fuck how are we supposed to feel about this
His daughter is #cancelled obv  8)

The Disney corporation showing their muscles with their Twitter bots and them still playing the 'good guys' is really sad to see.  :doge
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39687 on: August 22, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
Spideygate is so fucking dumb, and yet I cannot stop reading these amazing reactions to it from the distraught Disney/MCU fanbase.

:delicious

Snoopycat_

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #39689 on: August 22, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
where can i find the latest fat earth literature?

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39690 on: August 22, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cnbc-stan-lees-daughter-no-one-could-have-treated-my-father-worse-than-marvel-and-disneys-executives.136567/

Fuck how are we supposed to feel about this
His daughter is #cancelled obv  8)

The Disney corporation showing their muscles with their Twitter bots and them still playing the 'good guys' is really sad to see.  :doge

But you see, Disney is their bulwark against the evils of capitalism. 

Himu

« Reply #39691 on: August 22, 2019, 03:28:14 PM »

It's not eating less if you're using less of/cutting out one thing, but replacing it with another.

You can try a program like Weight Watchers, then eat whatever you want...within the constraints of the program.   If you're used to eating too much shit, then yes, it is going to be a restriction.  That's what it takes to lose weight.

Go to talk to a professional.  I started going to a dietician, which is 100% covered by my insurance plan- I changed up my general diet and have dropped a shitload of weight already.  In no way do I feel restricted or like I'm in a prison.  I cut out the shit and just eat healthier.  There's plenty of non-junky foods out of there that taste great.

But like you said- willpower.  If you're not willing to commit and don't want to do what it takes to get healthier...don't kid yourself.  It's not going to happen.

I eat a salad almost every night for dinner- tastes great to me.  I put exactly what I want to in it.
:idont

I never said not to eat more healthy or that it isn't more healthy. I eat pretty damn healthy.

My point is that a lot of "healthy foods"  are marketing and people fall for it and are like,"why am I fat?!" For example, American people demonized soda so a lot of health conscious people dropped it but still drink Starbucks frappes, or Arizona Green Tea because "green tea is healthy" while they ignore that one can of Arizona Green Tea has more sugar in it than soda. But they buy it because it's "healthier than soda".

A "big ass salad" (assuming we're talking about some fruits, mostly veggies, and a light dressing like vinegar) will absolutely be more healthy than even a happy meal. You will probably get full without overeating. Fast food is bad for your cardiovascular health, it's way easier to end up overeating, and it's poor nutritionally (simple carbs, little to no greens, "bad" cholesterol).

Agree though that you can't just go to town on whole grain pasta and think that's healthy. There are no healthy foods, only healthy diets.

My point isn't that a happy meal is healthier than a "big ass salad".

Further, that many people trying to lose weight cut stuff out of their diets and feel like a failure for giving in. Also, the happy meal thing is really a once a month thing for me. The point is I highly doubt you'll stay away from burgers the rest of your life. So it'd be better to eat more light than eating your standard 1500 calorie meal.

Also, many people who say they're eating more healthy often convince themselves they're eating healthy by consuming on the most crazy shit. Especially the KETO people.

Along the way of eating healthy (which is admirable) many scoff at the mere idea of moderation. Like they're scared as shit at a single donut because someone brought some to work. Have a single donut and leave it alone. Then have lots of veggies for lunch. Ahhhh, the flexibility of CICO...

That's not to say to have shit like this every day, of course. Which was never implied. But the whole "eat healthy" guilt trip is a big thing that puts fat people off even trying. They really think they're going to have to give up donuts and pizza for life.
IYKYK

marrec

« Reply #39692 on: August 22, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »
where can i find the latest fat earth literature?

Twitter

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #39693 on: August 22, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
ὕβρις

« Reply #39694 on: August 22, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
These nihilistic level doom and gloomers on era about climate change are so transparent. With these people it’s already over and everything is fucked. Someone should tell them, “then shouldn’t you be out enjoying life and savoring the time you have left, instead of being hysterical on a video game forum?”

Himu

« Reply #39696 on: August 22, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »
Manabye :jeb
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #39697 on: August 22, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »
"they have commoditized my father's work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency. "

Did she not see Captain Marvel?

:yikes the evidence keeps piling on !

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cnbc-stan-lees-daughter-no-one-could-have-treated-my-father-worse-than-marvel-and-disneys-executives.136567/post-23839513
ὕβρις

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #39699 on: August 22, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
watch him catch a ban from that
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #39700 on: August 22, 2019, 03:46:01 PM »
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #39701 on: August 22, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

:hmm
Uncle

« Reply #39702 on: August 22, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
Along the way of eating healthy (which is admirable) many scoff at the mere idea of moderation. Like they're scared as shit at a single donut because someone brought some to work. Have a single donut and leave it alone. Then have lots of veggies for lunch. Ahhhh, the flexibility of CICO...

I don't think it's the idea that people so much as scoff at it in as much as it's hard. I've fluctuated my teenage to adult life anywhere between near ideal weight to about 30 pounds overweight. Currently I'm in a "get in shape" swing that has gone really well. I've lost about 20 pounds in a little over a month. Looking back it really hasn't been that difficult. But I have been extremely strict with my diet and have been working out pretty rigorously (by old man out of shape standards) at least every other day and gone for a minimum of a 20 minute walk every day. I've been intermittent fasting during that time as well. It works. It's not a Herculean effort. Five more pounds and I'll be at what I was targeting. Ten more pounds and I'll be right where I was when I was in my early 20s.

But anyway, what's working is the strict diet. I can't and won't need to keep that up forever, but I've reached this point before. As soon as you start loosening the restrictions it's easy for the floodgates to open and the water to come pouring through. The crappy lunches I pack everyday start becoming less tempting than the many fast food options nearby. We slack off on meal prepping on Sunday. A beer or 3 on multiple evenings a week seems like a good way to wind down and I'll say I'll make up the calories with tomorrow's workout that I end up skipping.

It's really easy to keep kicking the can down the road and let yourself have the day week month off. It's less easy but still doable to commit to something disciplined with no exceptions. It's much more difficult to readjust to flipping the relaxation switch on and off constantly as needed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:00:24 PM by Steve Youngblood »

benjipwns

« Reply #39703 on: August 22, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-cant-take-hearing-about-climate-change-anymore.136498/
I believe that by 2100, humanity will go extinct.
My friend, he disagrees. He believes that merely the vast majority of humanity will die.

There's a thread on gaming side about how Video Games will be no more soon. You might think I'm a dork for caring so much about this one thing in particular, but I live solely to escape. I mean, maybe I can take some solace in that shit like DnD and books should still exist, given how low tech they are.
I don't currently have a job (Edit: I have a casual job, I apologize). Do you know how hard it is to give much of a shit when the apocalypse looms over us all? I'm an Autistic privileged middle class white boy with no marketable skills to speak of. How the fuck does the rest of the left just go on as if they could possibly live a full life with the upcoming shitstorm. Money will be worthless, your uni degree even less so.
I just wanna seclude myself in my room, protected, where I can escape into the world of fiction all I want, and nothing can hurt me.
Even in the apocalypse, bandits could totally break into my house and kill me when they take all my shit.
I've nothing but fiction and comfort. I don't want the world to take those away from me.
I'm so arrogant to think I won't simply starve. I have nothing to contribute to the wasteland tribes. Maybe It'll be a quick death if I'm lucky.
How much time do we have? It feels like it will be less than a decade. Do I even have a chance to reach at least middle age?

Edit: I've calmed down a bit now, I do apologize, I was having a bit of a anxiety attack and I needed somewhere, anywhere to talk and it's past midnight where I live. This said, my fears I've outlined do feel very real to me. I worry how much longer I have left in my comfortable life before something breaks, and climate change just seems like an inevitability that is unfightable. I mean, I can get a job, being unemployed is something I can fight, I in fact have a casual job right now that I enjoy a lot, during the very very few shifts I get, but planning for the future, for a career feels pointless. I worry about how much time I have left.

Then again, witnessing the apoc would be a more preferable life over getting hit by a car tomorrow and dying instantly. Which is entirely possible.
I doubt we are all gonna stay at home once civilization collapses and money is worthless.
And Australia is basically already a wasteland.
There is a considerable difference in what people are saying in this thread over what you'd read in the Climate fight thread, or that thread on the gaming side.
Or news articles on r/science.
It feels like "we're all gonna die" is all I ever hear.
I am starting to calm down a bit now though. My panic attack is subsiding a bit, but the concerns that we could go though an apocolyplse is absolutely an immense encompassing fear of mine. The fears outlined in my OP are very real, although reaching waistland tribes and bandits raiding my home is def not somthing I think of often unless I'm having a panic attack.

I'll be the first to admit that recent climate change news has been gut-wrenching and has left me in a very unhealthy mental place. I think all the bad things occurring around the world are being reported more and as a result, we are seeing more people talk about it. With that comes extremely reckless and nihilistic posts, a ton of which I see on this forum, that just preys on my worst instincts and makes me want to give up. All rationality goes out the window when 9 out of 10 comments, one after another, only ever say how we are doomed, life is done in our lifetime, and so forth. It's rarely a level-headed response, and hypocritically I fall victim to reading these comments and put myself in a viciously unhealthy mental state.

I should be feeling great today, and for the most part I am, considering it's my 30th birthday, but I keep browsing climate change news and reading the absolute worst posts imaginable that make me feel miserable.

i like how you completely fail to mention the billions of people in the global south who will be killed, while the western over-consuming nations build up borders and concentration camps (which they're already doing).
God let's fucking hope so. The universe isn't losing much snuffing out our idiotic species. Then the planet can restore itself, swallow up all our shitty invasive development and plants and animals can just chill until the next massive asteroid hits.

I honestly believe armed revolution by the left is the only thing that can save the planet (the true left, not liberals who like free market capitalism). Especially with Balsanaro hell bent on destroying the Amazon.
Is it so bad if humanity went extinct?
As you can see, you're going to get a lot of mockery in this thread, OP. But I don't really see anything ridiculous about your concerns. Our way of life is going to be destroyed, and nothing -- nothing -- is going to prepare ourselves for it.
It's simply a fact that the Earth and its many other inhabitants would be better off if humanity weren't around. Why is it our prerogative to screw that up for them? Even if we are able to resolve the climate crisis, we as a species would continue to be ruinous to all manner of fauna
for the sake of the planet and every other living thing on it, it wouldn't be the worst thing for humans to be Thanos-snapped out of existence, when you really think about it. You end human suffering, destruction of ecological systems and extinction and suffering of animals at the hands of humans. Win win IMO.

You know what's really sad, when I was growing up I always wanted to take a trip to the Amazons and walk through the rainforest or go to Hong Kong or anywhere in China and look at the great wall and other things.

Fast forward to today when I finally have the money to do so, I can't due to safety.

thread still has 150 less pages than Spider-Man/Disney/Sony thread

Himu

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #39705 on: August 22, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
the entirety of humanity will not be gone within the next 80 years
This is the most delusional thing I've ever heard. We'd be lucky to make it to the next 80 years. Like seriously lucky

benjipwns

« Reply #39706 on: August 22, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Now I don't believe the human species will become extinct, but we're talking about a future where tens of millions of people are all but guaranteed to die. To think that won't happen is delusional.

benjipwns

« Reply #39707 on: August 22, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
Good News. Humanity will still be around.
Bad News. I think the chances are very high it will just be the ultra rich humans who can afford the biospheres that will be needed in order to survive on a planet that no longer wants them occupying her land.

Himu

« Reply #39708 on: August 22, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »

I don't think it's the idea that people so much as scoff at it in as much as it's hard. I've fluctuated my teenage to adult life anywhere between near ideal weight to about 30 pounds overweight. Currently I'm in a "get in shape" swing that has gone really well. I've lost about 20 pounds in a little over a month. Looking back it really hasn't been that difficult. But I have been extremely strict with my diet and have been working out pretty rigorously (by man old out of shape standards) at least every other day and gone for a minimum of a 20 minute walk every day. I've been intermittent fasting during that time as well. It works. It's not a Herculean effort. Five more pounds and I'll be at what I was targeting. Ten more pounds and I'll be right where I was when I was in my early 20s.

But anyway, what's working is the strict diet. I can't and won't need to keep that up forever, but I've reached this point before. As soon as you start loosening the restrictions it's easy for the floodgates to open and the water to come pouring through. The crappy lunches I pack everyday start becoming less tempting than the many fast food options nearby. We slack off on meal prepping on Sunday. A beer or 3 on multiple evenings a week seems like a good way to wind down and I'll say I'll make up the calories with tomorrow's workout that I end up skipping.

It's really easy to keep kicking the can down the road and let yourself have the day week month off. It's less easy but still doable to commit to something disciplined with no exceptions. It's much more difficult to readjust to flipping the relaxation switch on and off constantly as needed.

How are you restricting? Also, granted, I'm 5'5. I don't need much food unless I do bjj or some other activity like weight lifting.

Ultimately though, we as a society are fucking up and there's a massive industry trying to keep us all fat. Is that agreed on at least? Like where did we get to the point where a 500 calorie jumbo soda is common? What in the fuck.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #39709 on: August 22, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-yesterday-i-learned-i-may-well-be-on-the-autism-spectrum-unsure-how-to-feel.136465/
Good morning Era

For a little background, I'm 35, and while I've not really had any actionable mental health crises, have had episodes of mild depression and my mum had severe bipolar disorder which has always been a worry for me throughout my life.

Anyway. In the last couple of years my mental health has took a few knocks. Although I was estranged from my mum, learning of her death at 49 last year is something I still have not processed yet. Coupled with my team at work moving to a new department, under a new boss which has led to a massive increase in attention on the team, along with the stress of being blamed for more things than we were ever responsible for has made my role at work from pleasure to painful.

So that, coupled with the day to day stress of 2 children has lessened my ability to cope with "normal shit" to the point where everything is stressful rather than something simple to deal with and cope with. I booked myself in with my GP for an assessment by their mental health team in response to this. The lady there was the nice, and we spent 30 minutes or so going over everything including my upbringing etc. Again my mum had Bipolar and my parents divorced before I was 10, leaving me with my dad. My dad was also a violent alcoholic who was literally a Jeremy Kyle episode.

So, describing this, and saying how my usual coping mechanisms were not working, I was stopped by the nicest 100mph train you could think of. "So, going by your mannerisms and nature, I'm going to say you need assessing for being on the Autism spectrum".

I went in expecting an assessment for CBT, and suddenly it turns into an assessment on myself on this level? Wasn’t really prepared for such a dramatic and quick change in focus of the assessment.

So, done the initial assessment (For those outside the UK, it's a 2 stage multiple choice questionnaire sued as a pre-referral filter). Well, half of it. The first stage scores you out of 10, with anything over 5 worth further investigation. I scored 10. Because of course I fucking did.

I completed the assessment and got a dual track referral for CBT and for diagnosis into this too. I walked out stunned that someone could so easily and directly tell something I have spent probably my entire life trying to prove wasn't a thing. I hate labels, and have always wanted to be treated as me, rather than something, rather than someone. As a child I didn't talk until I was 3, and from then, the underlying cause while unknown, or uninvestigated, I felt that being on the autism spectrum would be a lazy way to dismiss it, so never really addressed it, or seen it as a major factor to do so.

However as a parent, it needs addressing because of course, my children may need support in similar ways. So the excuses for myself have ran out. So it'll be dealt with. But still, for something to be apparently fucking obvious to everyone, yet ignored by myself for so long is a bit shit. Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to get something out there.

TLDR: Yesterday I learned something I probably knew, but always wanted to deny.
Of course.

That's what I want back. My "superpower" has always been to be able to step back, assess things logically and deal with them.

I have lost that ability as stress and negatively has lessened my perspective, and emotionally I haven't been able to cope with a lot.

Of course that separation, and the reliance on the logical side of my brain and inability to deal with things well emotionally are key indicators of the autism spectrum. Yes, it's bloody obvious now isn't it.

Basically for the uninitiatied there's 2 methods of thinking and decision making. System or type 1 and 2. 1 is quick fire, emotion based and 2 is slower, logical reasoning.

My system 1 is shit, and I rely on 2. When that fails, as it has, the ability to make emotional responses fail. Thinking about it, it's pretty clear cut but I've always convinced myself that it wasn't anything wrong, just the way I was.

It isn't anything wrong, it is the way I am, and that's why I really am terrified of the labeling.
don't worry, you're guaranteed to die in around 50-60 years anyway

ShutUp

« Reply #39710 on: August 22, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »
It is downright terrifying that some of these REEEE members are allowed out in society. They have next to no grasp on reality.

Himu

« Reply #39711 on: August 22, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
Also Steve, I get it's a personal thing. We all have different things going on. Some people can't moderate their food and just need to eat healthy. Some have to go full on strict diet. I have no problem flipping the switch on and off with food. My problem is booze.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #39713 on: August 22, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
Do I even have a chance to reach at least middle age?
No, but for different reasons.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #39714 on: August 22, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
who will pick this up faster, SeniorForums or ResetERA.com?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/21/us/ifunny-website-threat-explainer/index.html
Two young men arrested this month for threatening mass shootings posted those threats to a website known more for its memes than its menaces: iFunny.

Created in 2011, iFunny describes itself as a "community for meme lovers and viral memes around the Internet." And indeed, the iFunny homepage is full of your standard internet schlock, including screenshots of tweets or tumblr posts, GIFs of "The Office," trending TikToks and Area 51 jokes.

Yet on August 7, the FBI arrested an 18-year-old Ohio man who allegedly threatened to shoot federal law enforcement officers in a post on iFunny. And this past Friday, federal agents arrested a 19-year-old Chicago man for threatening to kill people at a women's reproductive health clinic in a post on iFunny.

In the past year, the online message boards Gab and 8chan, both rife with racist or anti-Semitic messages, have faced scrutiny for their roles as homes to extremists who carried out mass shootings in Pittsburgh, California, New Zealand and El Paso.

iFunny has had its own issues with extremists and white supremacy, and as BuzzFeed News documented last week, the site was full of footage from and praise for the Christchurch mosque attacks in March.

« Reply #39715 on: August 22, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
How are you restricting? Also, granted, I'm 5'5. I don't need much food unless I do bjj or some other activity like weight lifting.

Ultimately though, we as a society are fucking up and there's a massive industry trying to keep us all fat. Is that agreed on at least? Like where did we get to the point where a 500 calorie jumbo soda is common? What in the fuck.

Breakfast is at 10 AM and is a small half-filled mason jar of overnight oats with apple in it. Lunch is something homemade that is just some staple meat plain with some side of veggies. Or for a lot of chicken dishes it's combined into a bland salad. I'll usually have small servings of raw nuts as a snack. Dinner will resemble lunch and is either more leftovers or something my wife made that will also be tomorrow's lunch. This is before 6 PM. From 6 PM to 10 AM is zero calorie beverages only. Also alcohol has been reduced to strictly social situations which -- given our fast-paced lives -- is once every two to three weeks. And I'm someone that loves a good beer in the evening.

Himu

« Reply #39716 on: August 22, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
What are healthy portions for someone that's like 6'2 anyways?

Breakfast is at 10 AM and is a small half-filled mason jar of overnight oats with apple in it. Lunch is something homemade that is just some staple meat plain with some side of veggies. Or for a lot of chicken dishes it's combined into a bland salad. I'll usually have small servings of raw nuts as a snack. Dinner will resemble lunch and is either more leftovers or something my wife made that will also be tomorrow's lunch. This is before 6 PM. From 6 PM to 10 AM is zero calorie beverages only. Also alcohol has been reduced to strictly social situations which -- given our fast-paced lives -- is once every two to three weeks. And I'm someone that loves a good beer in the evening.

How much water are you drinking? Do you drink green tea?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #39717 on: August 22, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
From 6 PM to 10 AM is zero calorie beverages only.
FACT CHECK:
the estimated caloric content of a pint of whole blood is 341.4 kcal (Calories)

So, if 1 pint of blood contains 341 Calories, since 1 pint is 0.47 liters, then one liter of blood will contain 2.11 pints or 721.5 Calories.

« Reply #39718 on: August 22, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
How much water are you drinking? Do you drink green tea?

I drink a ton of water. No tea but I do drink exclusively black coffee. And I still enjoy a couple of diet sodas a day. Yeah, yeah, I should cut that too. But I've cut so much already don't take away my shitty aspartame filled carbonated drinks.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39719 on: August 22, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1164288219388817408

YES DO IT DO IT !

I wonder which dumbass raid recovers more future tech, sony or area 51