Author Topic: Robocalls  (Read 4488 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Robocalls
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »
My phone gets called about once a day from some random number. Sometimes more than once per day. I don't even bother answering them, but it's annoying to have my phone light up all the time.
dog

kingv

Re: Robocalls
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
I feel like they are getting more frequent as well.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
I've been experiencing an even better phenomenon increasingly over the last few months. Consolidated Labs is calling me to discuss payment for invoices under account number #603570.

This was like once a month during the fall, starting last month it's been weekly. And now there's a second outstanding payment related to the account.

They never call when I have my phone near, I just get to hear the voicemail later. And they call from multiple numbers that seem to indicate it's actually a collection agency. While acting like I should know how to contact them back since I know those numbers won't be the one to call.

benjipwns

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
At least the people in D.C. have stopped calling me about the unpaid child support for my kid who keeps missing days of school finally.

One of cowardly Mandark's moves I assume.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
i just installed a call blocking app on my phone and that shit stopped

Bebpo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »
Once a day?

Try like 8 times a day in the past week or two. It's gotten really bad suddenly. I signed up for the free blocker on my AT&T account and it stops maybe 1/4th of them. Might try using the paid apps (like $20/yr) to see if they have a higher success rate. It's really annoying when I'm on the phone with someone and keep getting calls interrupting it.

i just installed a call blocking app on my phone and that shit stopped

Which one are you using?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Mr. Number. It's probably stealing all my info but the calls stopped so its still a win

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »
If you have iOS this app is pretty great https://www.robokiller.com

It’ll block the call and then wastes the scammer’s time with a recording that sounds like a real person. Can be hilarious.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:17 PM »

It’ll block the call and then wastes the scammer’s time with a recording that sounds like a real person. Can be hilarious.

I'm on Android, but I'll see if it has something like that, too.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »

I'm on Android, but I'll see if it has something like that, too.

They've juts started android support. Less features than the iOS version for now, but still.

https://support.robokiller.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000476086-Why-doesn-t-RoboKiller-for-Android-have-all-the-same-features-as-the-iOS-version-

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
It's not available on my carrier [Boost Mobile]. :(
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
Mr Number is on Android. I don't know how it compares to the iOS version features wise but I've had great results with it. On iPhone i can look up numbers or it will also just auto-block known bad numbers or just put something like "Probably scam" if you don't want to auto block.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:12:24 PM »

Shows news segments where the reporters got robocalls while filming.  :lol

According to this, 60% of all calls in the U S. are robocalls. :dizzy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:23:10 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Don't know if this is a thing on all Android phones, but my Pixel has a call screening option where a Google Robo voice will tell the caller that the call is being screened.  If they respond, you can either use preset chat options to talk to them or answer the call.  Robocalls just end with this and it stops sales calls dead in their tracks.  When the call ends, it then prompts to block the number.
ど助平

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
If you’re on T-Mobile in the US, dial #662# and you’ll be enrolled in scam call blocking. It’s a godsend.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 08:21:05 PM »
Somewhat related- the other day I got a call from a local number I didn't recognize and let it go to voicemail.

The voicemail went on for a bit and was just picking up chatter from whoever it was.  They didn't realize that the call was still going.  I hear this guy laughing and cussing with his co-workers, then before the call cuts off, he goes "...got 'em. Just call me the DRAGON MASTER!!" :lol

Googled the number and it came up with reports of a "pushy sales guy from Sirius XM."

Wish I hadn't erased the message now. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »

I believe it.

It's kinda funny that all this scams shit does is create jobs for blocking them so it ends up getting people's money through helping the economy?
Still annoying af. Will probably buy the robokiller one and see if it helps. Like here's an average call log day from this week using the AT&T free app that's powered by Hiya:

The delaware and blank number were both scam calls that it didn't pick up. I also get at least one call from UNKNOWN per day that these things can't block sadly.

Also when I do answer some of these calls, you guys ever get ones where it's just like silence on the other end? I always feel like those are the ones where they're trying to record your voice saying hello so they can try to use it somewhere or something. It's why I usually wait for them to talk first.

benjipwns

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
Some of those silence ones are recordings that don't activate unless you say something. It'll just hang up on you after so many seconds.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »

I believe it.

It's kinda funny that all this scams shit does is create jobs for blocking them so it ends up getting people's money through helping the economy?
Still annoying af. Will probably buy the robokiller one and see if it helps. Like here's an average call log day from this week using the AT&T free app that's powered by Hiya:

(Image removed from quote.)

The delaware and blank number were both scam calls that it didn't pick up. I also get at least one call from UNKNOWN per day that these things can't block sadly.

Also when I do answer some of these calls, you guys ever get ones where it's just like silence on the other end? I always feel like those are the ones where they're trying to record your voice saying hello so they can try to use it somewhere or something. It's why I usually wait for them to talk first.

Unless I'm expecting a call from a number I might not know (sometimes the vet will call from a personal phone to tell me the dog is doing fine after a checkup, for instance), I just don't answer.  If it's important, they'll leave a VM.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
I signed up for RoboKiller and immediately got a spam call.

It doesn’t seem to work any better than Hiya or Mr Numbers free versions so far.

None of them seem to work hardly at all from what I can tell.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Must suck to live in a third world country.
brb

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
I signed up for RoboKiller and immediately got a spam call.

It doesn’t seem to work any better than Hiya or Mr Numbers free versions so far.

None of them seem to work hardly at all from what I can tell.

Grabbed the free trial for Mr Numbers yesterday and got four robocalls just this morning. :lol
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 07:11:48 PM »
There's some h/w or s/w error in my landline phone at home where robocalls get through, hang up, and then my phone goes to a dead line. It does this at 2-3AM, and I think of them as some kind of witching hour horror call, where if I actually picked up, a telemarketer would appear in the darkness.

:spooky

The new version of robocalls in Japan has a brief ring, so if you're the type of person who calls back numbers you don't recognize, you'll end up calling into a sales recording.  :-\

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
I get calls at least 3-4 calls a day from spammers. It's tax season so all of it's suddenly from the IRS saying I'm own massive amounts of taxes and I have a warrant out for my arrest so better get back to them.

:doge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 12:04:03 AM »
I don't answer for shit. If you need me, you already have my number to text or Discord/etc. information to get me that way.

Generally, if a number rings me two times, I'll block it. But if it's one off, I'll generally give it the benefit of the doubt that it's someone misdialing a number and not block it. But I don't answer any of that shit.

It's more annoying to have my phone ring when I don't really even use the phone side of it. But given I can't get cellular data on a phone without having a phone tied to the data plan... :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
Not to go all Yuropean but it seems the absence of regulation for this in the USA is dramatic. I get some cold calls and automated scam shit but only a handful a month at most.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
I get calls at least 3-4 calls a day from spammers. It's tax season so all of it's suddenly from the IRS saying I'm own massive amounts of taxes and I have a warrant out for my arrest so better get back to them.

:doge

ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
I’ve been getting these calls all the time lately and it sux cuz I am on a notification roster shared by like 3000 people who have cell #s all over the country so I can’t just ignore a call.  :-\

I’ll have to look into a spam monitor of some kind.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

kingv

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
Not to go all Yuropean but it seems the absence of regulation for this in the USA is dramatic. I get some cold calls and automated scam shit but only a handful a month at most.

I don’t really think it’s a regulation thing.

We have a national do not call registry, and it’s illegal to call people over the phone to scam them. These people are actually breaking the law.

It’s more the archaic phone system just doesnt have a good way to verify the numbers. And the fcc isn’t investing much money in fixing that.

kingv

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »
FYI, I have this one weird trick that drives scammers crazy.

Get a phone number from somewhere other than where you live. I still have a phone number from somewhere I last lived about 15 years ago, and never changed it. So almost all of my robocalls are spoofed with local numbers from there and not where I currently live. Helps you know not to answer them.

kingv

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
RoboKiller finally blocked a call!

:ohyeah

agrajag

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
I don't answer for shit. If you need me, you already have my number to text or Discord/etc. information to get me that way.

Generally, if a number rings me two times, I'll block it. But if it's one off, I'll generally give it the benefit of the doubt that it's someone misdialing a number and not block it. But I don't answer any of that shit.

It's more annoying to have my phone ring when I don't really even use the phone side of it. But given I can't get cellular data on a phone without having a phone tied to the data plan... :doge

I do this as well. If someone really needs to reach me, they can leave a message. And the robocallers still leave me voicemails. Fuck them, they don't deserve my courtesy.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Someone's Grandma from Pennsylvania calls me a couple times a year and leaves the sweetest voicemails.

My Grandma died 20 years ago, and my Mom almost a decade ago, so I listen to them and get excited when I see a new one :(

bless up :tocry
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Someone's Grandma from Pennsylvania calls me a couple times a year and leaves the sweetest voicemails.

My Grandma died 20 years ago, and my Mom almost a decade ago, so I listen to them and get excited when I see a new one :(

And you never called back to let her know she's got the wrong number?

Tripon

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 08:02:08 PM »
If you’re on T-Mobile in the US, dial #662# and you’ll be enrolled in scam call blocking. It’s a godsend.

I tried this for a week. It only blocks the calls already marked spam likely, so spoofed numbers or other numbers not already blocked does nothing. It does seem to cut down on voicemail spam.

Tripon

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »
Getting 2-3 robo calls a day now.  :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:30 AM »
There's some h/w or s/w error in my landline phone at home where robocalls get through, hang up, and then my phone goes to a dead line. It does this at 2-3AM, and I think of them as some kind of witching hour horror call, where if I actually picked up, a telemarketer would appear in the darkness.

:spooky

The new version of robocalls in Japan has a brief ring, so if you're the type of person who calls back numbers you don't recognize, you'll end up calling into a sales recording.  :-\

https://lifehacker.com/dont-return-robocalls-unless-you-like-losing-money-1834589351
 :-\ :-\ :-\

Occam

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »

I don’t really think it’s a regulation thing.

We have a national do not call registry, and it’s illegal to call people over the phone to scam them. These people are actually breaking the law.

It’s more the archaic phone system just doesnt have a good way to verify the numbers. And the fcc isn’t investing much money in fixing that.

It absolutely seems to be. There is this interesting comment below the John Oliver youtube video:

"Meanwhile, in Germany, we had a different approach to that problem: - Step 1 : Making that Robocall bullshit illegal in the first place - Step 2 : Not thinking about it anymore"