Author Topic: Because Devin Townsend is releasing a new album...  (Read 976 times)

mojovonio

Because Devin Townsend is releasing a new album...
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Let's take a moment to remember and appreciate his first record...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punky_Br%C3%BCster_%E2%80%93_Cooked_on_Phonics

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Punky Brüster – Cooked on Phonics is the debut studio album by Canadian musician Devin Townsend, originally released as Cooked on Phonics under the fictional band name Punky Brüster. It was released on Townsend's label, HevyDevy Records, on March 19, 1996. It is a metal/punk rock parody concept album written by Townsend. Cooked on Phonics tells the story of a fictitious death metal band "from South Central Poland" called Cryptic Coroner that sells out their metal look and sound to become a commercial punk rock band called Punky Brüster (the band's name being a pun on the 1980s U.S. television series Punky Brewster). At the end of the track "Larry's O," Townsend says the album took "A week-and-a-half to write, six days to record, 12 hours to mix."
[close]

This album started as a piss-take on the whole Green Day, Rancid era of 'pop-punk' that was popular at this time. It began as a joke between myself and Kev from Lawnmower Deth, (who was teching for The Wildhearts then) and began with the song 'Fake Punk'. When I got back to Vancouver, I jammed it out with Adrian, who contributed some cool lyrical ideas and voices… (of which he was never properly credited for…if it gets re-released he will be). Squid also played bass on a few songs and it took essentially a week in a friend’s basement to record. At one point, Century Media wanted to release it, but that fell through and we've only released it on the web. There's talk of making it public at which point we will revisit the art etc. I mixed it with Blair Calibaba at Mushroom studios.

Adrian at this point had joined Frontline Assembly and went on tour, so I enlisted my friend Bob Wagner to finish the drums. Fun record, the first 'concept album' I suppose I made (about a fictional metal band that changes their direction to make money). Was a spur of the moment idea that ended up being completed…(a trait of mine I admit I'm rather proud of).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:39:38 PM by Philip Cardgage »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Because Devin Townsend is relasing a new album...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Our story begins on a crappy little pub, on a cheap beer night, where our heroes are about to take the stage. This, although they don't know it yet, will be the last show they play as the infamous Cryptic Coroner, and the birth of the music business' little babies, Punky Bruster.
每天生气

shosta

Re: Because Devin Townsend is releasing a new album...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
It's a spoof album and it's still better than everything Green Day ever did  :betty
每天生气

shosta

Re: Because Devin Townsend is relasing a new album...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
The skit at the end of EZ$$ is classic.
Thanks for reminding me, I had to listen to this again.

"I'm a punk!" "Higher, higher!" "I'm a punk!!"
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
Devin is da gawd, but he's almost too prolific. At some point I stopped being able to keep up with his body of work.

agrajag

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
Devin is da gawd, but he's almost too prolific. At some point I stopped being able to keep up with his body of work.

I think at a point he was in 4 bands at the same time. What the difference between Devin Townsend band and Devin Townsend Project is, I have no clue, but its all so fucking good.

Don't forget Devin Townsend the solo artist

:rejoice

tbh the first DTP album is the last one I've sat and listened to from start to finish. Ocean Machine and Terria are still my two favorite albums of his.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
Everyone that likes Devin's work really likes it and tries to convert basically everyone they encounter to it. His stuff doesn't super grab me but I can recognize quality when I hear it. Here he is destroying Rammstein.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:06:56 AM by Trent Dole »
Hi

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »
Devin Townsend's music has always come across to me like one musician making music for other musicians to circlejerk to.
Spud

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:16 AM »
Devin Townsend's music has always come across to me like one musician making music for other musicians to circlejerk to.
So like Zappa then.
Hi

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:15:15 AM »
My first experience with Devin was on Vai's Sex and Religion. Didn't even know he played guitar.  :lol

Then one day when I used to listen to a radio station on my WinAmp player, this song came on and blew me away.

Sadly, it was the only song on the album I cared for. Devin's stuff can be beautiful, but most of it is a little far out there for me.
©ZH