Author Topic: The Notre Dame was on fire | Would you poison FLINT to save the NOTRE DAME  (Read 7309 times)

bluemax

Too bad no one made a video game set in Puerto Rico or Flint Michigan.
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
this is probably a dumb question but why does the richest religious group in the world need donations to restore notre dame? i feel like the catholic church probably has enough to restore it sitting between the pope's couch cushions.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
France owns Notre-Dame*, hence the state is first in line to foot the bill. Though I agree that the church should chip in.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1905_French_law_on_the_Separation_of_the_Churches_and_the_State#Effects
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:46:26 AM by Rufus »

Himu

Haven’t multiple billionaires and millionaires donated a shit ton to Flint?
IYKYK

agrajag

Himu

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjFr5eX193hAhUhgK0KHd0UAygQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wcpo.com%2Fentertainment%2Fjaden-smith-is-helping-fix-the-flint-water-crisis-with-his-companys-mobile-lead-filtration-system&psig=AOvVaw33XWqL4B4EHwLu15ukJOph&ust=1555815676601399

www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/elon-musk-keeps-his-word-pays-for-water-filtration-systems-in-flint-schools/

It’s just another outrage social justice tweet that makes a joke to appear woke that can be dismantled in ten seconds of googling.

To pretend that “billionaires” did nothing to help Flint is not factual. But people spread it because not researching and impotent outrage - no matter how wrong - gets attention. And it’s always some screen cap of a tweet or a Facebook post spouting the dumb ass shit. Pic goes viral despite the author being a dumbass, repeat.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:02:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

agrajag

So far, Musk has agreed to donate $480,350

In just a few hours today, 650 million euros was donated to rebuild Notre Dame,” South Africa-based journalist Simon Allison tweeted.1 day ago

:gurl

Himu

Never mind that the entire situations are completely different. Flint is due to mismanagement and negligent politicians whose leadership have done absolutely nothing. Why is it up to billionaires to fix that? You can point at the number, but it’s not like no one hasn’t tried to help. Flint has been donated MILLIONS. Why hasn’t America in general tried to fix the issue with Flint? Why is this the billionaires problem? Why is this not a collective issue as a society? Why are people pointing to billionaires to fix something the local government should fix? Why are people comparing bureaucratic corruption to people donating to an accidental tragedy? People pitch in all the time when a natural disaster happens. People have shit tons to help Flint.

I mean, shit.

https://www.blackpressusa.com/trumps-epa-awards-flint-100-million-for-water-crisis/

Comparing a small town in Midwest USA to a Cathedral that belongs to all Christianity (especially Catholicism which is a billion strong) is preposterous.
IYKYK

agrajag

you're getting fixated on the word billionaires like an autisty. It's a general critique on how society in general rushes and comes together to repair a relic offWestern European civilization, but the humanitarian crisis in Flint continues for years and years. But keep raging at memes breh

:rage

agrajag

Meanwhile Notre Dame got $2 billion in two days

:paul

Himu

I just don’t see why it’s shocking.

Flint been in the news since Obama was president...THREE YEARS AGO.

Notre dame is an 800 year old world relic that is literally impossible for people to imagine not being a part of France.

Let’s pretend oh, 700 years from now (if humanity isn’t extinct lol but let’s play pretend) that the Statue of Liberty - a symbol of New York City - is on fire and gets severely damaged. Would you be shocked that a bunch of American trillionaires throw money at something closer to home - considered a world marvel - than they have in a foreign nation with a water issue?

One problem is that a lot of these numbers you’re bringing doesn’t account for WHO is sending the money. Most of the rich people sending the money are (you guessed it) FRENCH.

Even before the smoke had cleared, luxury goods magnate Francois-Henri Pinault announced his family would donate 100 million euros ($112 million)Not to remain on the sidelines, his rival Bernard Arnault — the chief executive of LVMH and the richest man in Europe — pledged twice that amount on Tuesday morning. The Bettencourt Meyers family, which controls L’Oreal, quickly matched that pledge. And Patrick Pouyanne, chief of executive of French oil giant Total, offered another $112 million.

Source: WaPo

Rich Frenchies donating to the restoration of a national treasure?! I WONDER WHY.

This is why modern social justice is dog shit. The social media outrage is dog shit. Why Twitter is (mostly) dog shit.

Just spout a number like 600 million as if all the worlds billionaires got together for this thing when, if you look closely, most are French.

More outrage.

More tears from 20 year autistics.

IYKYK

agrajag

Notre Dame will get rebuilt and be better than ever, adorned with gold and stained glass, while children in Flint continue to get poisoned. But keep screeching at memes, that seems to be your tick du jour

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
you're getting fixated on the word billionaires like an one who incoherently screechesy. It's a general critique on how society in general rushes and comes together to repair a relic offWestern European civilization, but the humanitarian crisis in Flint continues for years and years. But keep raging at memes breh

People donating are doing it to get a return in publicity (and possibly tax breaks), the Notredame burning down had more international visibility.
Humanitarian crisis (read: poor people dying) all over the world are, essentially, background noise to most people living in developed countries.
Not exactly anything out of the ordinary, although i wouldn't exactly pat these billionaires on the back, for essentially paying for some publicity.

Himu

Agra, I just opened my facebook and was greeted by this swill.

Constant memes and outrage that don't even use basic facts for endless likes and zingers even when it's shown that many Christians give to charity.

It's so fucking constant. Using memes to look smart. Using memes to make political statements. I'm so fucking tired. I no longer care. Fuck social justice.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Notre Dame will get rebuilt and be better than ever, adorned with gold and stained glass, while children in Flint continue to get poisoned. But keep screeching at memes, that seems to be your tick du jour
每天生气

agrajag

Memes are just part of discourse now Cindi, it'd be easier on yourself to just roll with it. There are some dumb memes, there are some good memes, just like everything else in life. But there is something about internet memes that connect to people's psyche on a visceral level. Some people post long boring diatribes on Facebook that are just as dumb as the doge meme you posted.

agrajag

People donating are doing it to get a return in publicity (and possibly tax breaks), the Notredame burning down had more international visibility.
Humanitarian crisis (read: poor people dying) all over the world are, essentially, background noise to most people living in developed countries.
Not exactly anything out of the ordinary, although i wouldn't exactly pat these billionaires on the back, for essentially paying for some publicity.

Yes, I think all of the above is true, which I think both Cindi and the creator of the meme are getting at, just in different ways and something is clearly getting lost in translation here. I don't think billionaires should be patted on the back, especially the ones in France who are trying to get a tax rebate on most of their donations.

Beezy

Agra, I just opened my facebook
...stop using facebook?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
That doge meme is especially stupid because the pejorative it used at the bottom is about as un-PC as it gets
WDW

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Let’s pretend oh, 700 years from now (if humanity isn’t extinct lol but let’s play pretend) that the Statue of Liberty - a symbol of New York City - is on fire and gets severely damaged. Would you be shocked that a bunch of American trillionaires throw money at something closer to home - considered a world marvel - than they have in a foreign nation with a water issue?

To be fair, you should give it back to us. You guys don't deserve it anymore.

Himu

Lmao

I’ve been talking about and criticizing the plight of the citizens of Flint for YEARS.

One week goes by and people aren’t doing enough because an 800 year human marvel gets shit wrecked.

This is why no one likes your social justice anymore. It’s not about justice. It’s not even about social justice. It’s about superiority. This is why so many of the talking points are made through memes that talk down to others. This is why there’s the with us or against us attitude just because you’re not outraged that a world relic that people around the world no matter the country or religion appreciate got more attention than a town in the midwest internationally. Like, no shit? It doesn’t matter if you’ve donated money or water. You have to *think* like them.

I no longer care. Please take your social justice else where. I don’t need it on my social media and I don’t need it on this site.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
ok

:doge

:reeeee tard

agrajag

:badass

Feel free to put me back on ignore then, because I am not going to tailor what I post specifically for Cindi.

Himu

Agra, I just opened my facebook
...stop using facebook?

I didn’t even have to use Facebook to see the twitter meme Agra posted.

If it has something to do with policy or actually lifting people up, post it. I’ll care. If it’s more social media memes, outrage, comparing apples and oranges, more division, and dog shit? Give me a hard, capital p Pass on that.

I’m gonna post a quick example.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=428764294532625&id=100021971735306&set=a.103608180381573&source=48

Any quick research reveals that the mother didn’t even strap the baby seat it. That woman put that shit wedged between the front seats. But according to this meme which doesn’t even use a credible source I’m supposed to be outraged. Nah. See this shit on FB AND Twitter from a bunch of people who are sowing division based on lies and deceit while pointing fingers at Russians - despite the fact that reports show that both right and left have been compromised by Russian trolls on social media. Nah. I’m tired. Tired, tired, tired. Unless it’s policy, I no longer give a shit. Unless I see these people at a local school board meeting I no longer give a shit. Unless I see them at the local town hall, I no longer give a shit.

I. Do. Not. Care.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The Russian troll farms ran out of money ages ago. You're all just self-trolling yourselves now.  :idont
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Beezy

Cindi, you're always annoyed or mad about something. Ignore the bullshit. You don't have to react to everything. I haven't seen anything that you're complaining about outside of this thread.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Cindi, you're always annoyed or mad about something. Ignore the bullshit. You don't have to react to everything. I haven't seen anything that you're complaining about outside of this thread.
HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT TO HER?!!  :era
que

Himu

:confused

The only reason we are talking about this is because agrajag posted a twitter meme. I have talked about it because on topic.
IYKYK

agrajag

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Some members of the Paris Catholic Church suggests that any donation money in excess could be used for the Hotel-Dieu hospital which stands in the same place as the Cathedral (it's one of the oldest hospital and part of the public health care infrastructure).
ὕβρις

Raist

I mean a hospital is nice and all, but what about Flint tho.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
I mean those memes are apt though: The Catholic church really doesn't need the donation money. They can dismantle the Vatican City if they're that hard-up for cash to rebuild.

Meanwhile, actual US cities have poor/failing water due to lead pipes and billionaire celebs that live in LA won't actually give money to rebuild these places.

jorma

I mean those memes are apt though: The Catholic church really doesn't need the donation money. They can dismantle the Vatican City if they're that hard-up for cash to rebuild.

Meanwhile, actual US cities have poor/failing water due to lead pipes and billionaire celebs that live in LA won't actually give money to rebuild these places.

What does any of that have to do with wealthy Frenchmen donating to rebuild notre dame?

team filler

• filler
  • filler

agrajag

team filler

• filler
  • filler

agrajag

Himu

It’s funny stro thinks it’s memes in general I hate when I’ve mostly been talking about political memes or viral pics from Facebook or twitter where the person writes some dumbass shit. Stro truly is a dumbass.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
It’s funny stro thinks it’s memes in general I hate when I’ve mostly been talking about political memes or viral pics from Facebook or twitter where the person writes some dumbass shit. Stro truly is a dumbass biiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
ftfy bb  :-[

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: The Notre Dame is on fire | This looks pretty bad man.jpg
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
Varg Vikernes is living in France. Just putting that out there.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1120028903534411776

it was too obvious.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

Manifesto posted online several days before fire
___

Raist

All churches in France belong to the state though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Memes you say?

🤴

agrajag

I already posted that one, distinguished mentally-challenged fellow

BisMarckie

Look what I just found, this is amazing. :lol

agrajag

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners