Author Topic: Nobunaga's Ambition : Sphere of Influence and other Koei strategy games  (Read 945 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
So as I mentioned in the Musou thread, I had a longtime curiosity for that title (since the 3 Moves Ahead podcast covered it I guess) and finally gave in a few weeks ago.

Nobunaga's Ambition on NES in 1983 was one of Koei's first acclaimed title and Koei had so many sequels and other games in that mould (famously Romance of the Three Kingdoms but also some covering the American Revolution or the Age of Exploration) that they ended up creating the "historical simulation series" label for it. Sphere of Influence is not the latest Nobunaga game (one was released in 2017) but I only have a PS3 so sue me.

Anyway I had a blast with it (including two sleepless nights :fbm) so here's my thoughts.

To state the obvious, the game is set in the late Sengoku era, when Nobunaga Oda get the ball rolling on his effort to unify a country stuck in constant low intensity conflicts between warlords and their clans all while gunpowder and Christian faith starts seeping in. As you would expect, while it's being "historical", the period and main characters gets a major rose tinted glamour update. I mean you'll learn quite a bit on the popular perception on some of the major figures of those times (you get treated to dialogue cutscenes of the key and / or symbolic & meaningful moments of what's going on all over Japan) but it's more often than not drama soap rather than Kagemusha.

You have a variety of different start points to choose and can pick any clan to play, with historical quests on or off. It plays in pausable "real time", with infrastructure and economic decisions being made at the start of each month and war and unit orders available at any time. Most of the game revolves around improving your cities/castles, managing your retainers (most tasks requires you allocate someone to oversee it) and of course levying troops and move them around all in order to become powerful enough to be nominated as Shogun and enact a War Ban.

If this sounds slightly reminiscent of a Paradox game, you would be right. There's shades of Crusader Kings here though the systems are not as complex and more mechanistic. I'm curious how much of this was already in place in the older games... One thing NA does that won't find in Paradox games is the option to direct battles in a tactical mode but honestly I stopped fiddling with that past my first game as it was clear I did a less competent job than the AI. My impression is that it's more about your strategic planning, positioning and choosing the best generals to lead troops than this though there's a cool mechanic of "decisive battle" triggering when a great many number of units for each faction are in the same region, prompting a tactical battle with all of them tossed in. I found the enemy IA to be fairly decent in its own right, a neighboring clan will absolutely punish you by going for your cities if you levied all troops and sent them far away and it knows when to attack or just let a sizeable cover force at a crossroad nearby to try to dissuade you and deny movement (it works the other way around too, which makes for better strategic thinking on your part). The AI is also good at managing your far away provinces (you'll have to create some because bases too distant from your capital you can't control as fully).

It does feature some of the usual flaws of strategy games : the late game is not immune to steamrolling. I was so drenched in money and supplies at that point that I could cheese the diplomacy a bit, though I must say that in my one successful game so far I was cautious to never go head to head with powerful clans even by the end, instead mopping up the small ones I kept as vassals. Despite the fact you can automate a lot of of the city management (and you absolutely should, unless you're doing something very specific in one city) there's still some busywork here. Moving retainers from one castle to the next can get tedious. There's some UI jank too, like the fact that everytime you buy or sell something to the merchant, the game sends you back to the general menu and you have to re-enter the trade interface to conduct a second operation.

I started another scenario selecting a stronger AI (there's a separate setting for aggresavity) and reducing the distance at which you can retain direct control on castles, so I'll see if the late game gets more heated that way.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:03:35 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Himu

Thank you for your thoughts <3
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Watched a quick video of the latest Nobunaga's Ambition, Taishi, and my main takeaway is a much more detailed trade system (SoI is pretty barebones) with trade centers you have to sent merchants to + actual war declarations and peace negotiations. In Sphere of Influence there's no formal handling of this, you're at war if you start marching into the grounds of another lord (unless you're in a truce, alliance or coalition with him) and you're left to feel -if you don't have the political capital to buy a truce from a third party- whether your enemies have had enough (at which point they'll back down if you back down with everyone sending troops home) which has some quirky charm to it.
ὕβρις

Himu

How's the non-war simulation? Marriage, keeping a farm together, politics?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
How's the non-war simulation? Marriage, keeping a farm together, politics?

The thing about this game it's that overall it's very transparent with the info you have and purely mechanistic. For instance you know which of your retainers are getting less loyal and you'll get messages when they're conspiring with another clan. You always know exactly how much diplomatic points you currently have with another clan. There's no roll of the die there : if you have enough points to spend in asking for relief forces (or forming an alliance, etc...) the other clan will always oblige. Though other clans have stances too (Friendly, Neutral, Hostile, Refused which means you cannot interact with them) which will modify how much diplomatic capital you can get each month provided you appointed an envoy and those are harder to read, they can shift on a whim.

You can mollify potential traitors with gifts, marriages or castle lord position. Weddings can also be used to seal longer lasting alliances. That's basically it, you won't get the rug pulled under you, it's mostly spreadsheet management. Maybe you get some scripted events there, there is some famous shenanigans involving Nobunaga and his sister.

Buying gifts turns into busywork the more retainers you get, especially if you pick up staff from vanquished clans. I was so fantastically rich in my late successful game that it didn't really matter though by the end I was short of gifts (the merchant only has them some of the time) but it didn't matter because I was on the verge of winning.

Speaking of loyalty, you can also entice enemy officers to try to get them up to the point of bribing them out of a fight or joining you, which is pretty cool. Castle sieges are not always easy and in fact you need a minimum number of troops to blockade (depending on the building HP), getting enemy troops to stand down can help a lot.

Upon succession (people die, historical figures at the date they passed away in reality by default) you may get a splinter clan forming. Some of it is scripted (like the Oda clan) but it happened to me and I'm not certain if it's on rails or some RNG ran in the background.

Long story short, it could be more exciting and random but the design philosophy goes against black boxing that stuff. Every character has stats that affect their efficiency at different tasks (leading armies, building projects, conducting diplomacy etc...), improve and will develop skills but you won't get that much personality in dealing with the heads of other clans IMHO outside of the scripted events and dialogue.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
As I mentioned, Sphere of Influence doesn't do War Declarations or Peace Treaties and this create interesting dynamics because you can't really move troops at your leisure or very far without having alliances with clans in between you and your target. Having a castle isolated in a province with a bunch of non friendly clans will often mean having to take detours everytime you want to march troops. I think the combination of map / movement really works great here, it often pays to think a little about how you move your armies, like taking in consideration the quality of the roads. It's not super complex or anything but it's involving, especially since you can flank enemy troops engaged in combat from the strategic map by coming from a back road.

Anyway I botched my current playthrough with the second scenario, playing as the Mori. The Mori are relevant historically so you have plenty of quests (and the early game is a bit deterministic if you follow them) but after a good start I kind of went overboard with accepting vassals and arranging a bunch of weddings and I boxed myself in a defensive cushion that currently leaves me too far and small to go toe to toe with the Hojo, Takeda and Iwagawa that cleaned house in Central Japan. I should have known because my successful game was all about allying to the Odas who were just to my South to use them as a defensive glacis and denying them any expansion while I gobbled small clans and easily defensible positions in the mountains.

Vassals and allies are not so much of a perk, it's more a non agression pact (and free passage through their domains) than a guarantee of military help. In fact asking for a relief force (that you direct to a specific target) is a separate function altogether and it only requires using some diplomatic credits you accrued with a clan. You can get much more control over a coalition but it only unlocks when one clan becomes really big and when in a coalition you're basically in a state of constant war with the other side for the next three years.

The biggest issue, besides some of the busywork, is that you can really game the diplomacy. I'll try without the harder AI to see if you're forced into more conservative play.

Otherwise there's some intricacies and mechanics I'm a bit confused about. You can buy titles from the Imperial Court (with diplomacy + bribes) and I don't know what they do really. I supposed it was for some sort of prestige hidden stat but the game is very over board with the rest of the info. Perhaps you need it to unlock some main branch quest (I had one to become "Left" and "Right Minister" to the Imperial Court that will basically give you the needed requirements to become Shogun and win). I'm sure the in game manual has the info, it's fairly well done, and I was just too dumb to check.

Most tedious part by far is dispatching retainers to and from castles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:35:49 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
I looked it up : The Imperial Court titles are diplomacy buffs.
You can also gift your old ones to retainers to boost loyalty.
ὕβρις