Author Topic: Classic rock/funk/r&b/soul/blues thread - basically if it has a guitar it's cool  (Read 1019 times)

Himu

So like, I love guitar music. Of the aforementioned genres it's hard for me to pick a standout favorite. One day I might be listening to James Brown's band, the next I might be listening to BB King or Pink Floyd. Basically, if it has guitars I love it. Post about songs, bands, or albums.

I'll start us off with a goodie.

I feel like I belong in the 70's.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
are we doing a repeat of that time last year when we had a bunch of music threads going on simultaneously

dagga dagga dagga
每天生气

Himu

that james brown album you posted from is in my collection and worn out. funky drummer is god like but so is the song you posted
IYKYK

Himu

tbh this entire recording should be archived and sent to aliens/ future generations.

IYKYK

shosta

I know this isn't "classic" but I feel like Rick James really kept funk alive when everyone else was going super disco
每天生气

Himu

Rick James' funk is super, super stripped down though. Although I agree. Him, Brothers Johnson, and Prince.

I was more familiar with Rick James' work than Prince's growing up. No one I knew listened to Prince. I like Prince more now though.

IYKYK

shosta

I think James Brown's funk is super stripped down because he invented it. He started with nothing. He didn't even really build off of motown and rock, he started with a beat and some riffs and shouted into the mic. Later artists like George Clinton are awesome but I'll always love that primal energy of James Brown.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:59:11 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Himu

Nah. James Brown's funk was notable due to its horns.

Compare Papa's Got A Brand New Bag to uhhhh for example Super Freak.

Papa is basic heavy on the guitar but it still has a big reliance on a horn section. Super Freak restricts the funk to almost the bass exclusively. There was even a name for this, it's called naked funk. As in stripped down funk.

It's the complete absence of horns that defines naked funk.

Prince is also famous for this style.

See:

Note the reliance on bass and lead guitar on creating the funk. It lacks the horns that defined the previous age of funk.

And remember, James Brown later further defined his funk further in classics like Sex Machine. Notice the horns.

You could even say naked funk is disco influenced.

Neither is bad. But I definitely prefer the full funk experience of the Brown tradition where the guitar is more of a supplement to the funk rather than the lead. :)
IYKYK

Himu

It’s interesting that naked funk has a very enduring legacy. These days almost any time someone makes a “funk” song or what they think funk is, it’s almost always naked.

Take Red Bone.

No horns. Very simple chord structure, few changes in the instrumentation. It’s kind of static and doesn’t have much spontaneity to it. Which is more Super Freak than Sex Machine or even Sly Stone’s Thank You Falettinme Be mice self egin.

Again, not fighting. Just talking. I could talk about funk music all day tbh.

IYKYK

Himu

Today is sunny and beautiful after a week of rain and flooding. So while working I threw on some funk. Funk is my main spring, summer, fall music.

I don’t think there’s a better song that defines my preferences in funk.

- fat organ/keyboard sound
- that rhythm
- horns
- vocals
- the vocals, guitar, organ, drums, and horns all work together to create a spontaneous sound that leads to unpredictability. The last minute when they change it up is :rejoice You have no idea when the horns will show up and it creates so much texture. And sometimes they’ll even say fuck that guitar and just lead in vocals a change in percussion.
- the use of rhythm guitar as a means of establishing rhythm rather than the sole creation of the funk. It’s just a tool to create the funk. No other genre makes guitar the background character while also making it the main character.

Funk without spontaneous energy is soulless.

Today funk is my favorite genre. Tomorrow it might be rock. God bless :rejoice
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:54:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

What stresses me out when it comes to funk is when those white boys are like,”to play funk you just need a strat and play two  and four position” and keep referencing Nile Rodgers as a funk maestro when Chic was disco.

:lol

KILL ME
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:14:40 AM by HardcoreRetro »