Author Topic: State or private school for kids?  (Read 2166 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
State or private school for kids?
« on: May 18, 2019, 04:43:42 AM »
The time has come to decide.

Should I send the young one to a perfectly adequate state schoolso she can rub shoulders with the salt of the earth or do I want to partially undermine the Danish welfare state (with a vote of no confidence) by sending her to a private school.

Statw schools are free, private are funded by the state too buy require monthly contribution (lets say a paycheck a year).

Idk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:52:07 AM by Premium Lager »

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: State or private school for kids?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:18:55 AM »
I had the same dilemma with my kids here in Australia. Public education system here is quite good and we live in a good area, so the local school was decent enough, but the local Catholic school rated a little higher and wasn't that expensive, especially compared to the cost of child care. We went private and have not regretted it. Kids love the school and the facilities are just that little bit better.

I went to a public primary school and then moved to a private school in year 6. There is good and bad in both. The private school was single sex and I learned some pretty poor attitudes towards women, but there were good parts too.
Spud

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:06:40 AM »
Yeah this will still be cheaper then what we pay for childcare now, so we can afford it. It's more a matter of principle, although with two kids (fingers crossed) we could save a whole summer holiday worth of cash this way as well. Or pay the house off in 20 instead of 30 years.

Im sure private is better education wise, but is that the kind of kids I want to raise? Separated by class? :/

BisMarckie

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:05:10 AM »
Public school first and if your kid can’t handle it take him/her to a private school.

That’s how it works in Germany. However, private schools are a lot more expensive here.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
There is a risk of your kids developing classist attitudes, but I think that some strong parenting can manage that easily.
Spud

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
My parents sent me to private school. Do you really want to run the risk of your kid turning out like me?

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
Im sure private is better education wise, but is that the kind of kids I want to raise? Separated by class? :/
you get some kids like me sneaking in scholarships that adds some flavour, go private

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
I never had any issues with my state school in Denmark. Had nice teachers and experienced close to no bullying from age 6 to 16. But now, working at a private 'fri skole', it's hard not to see the benefits. The time there is for every kid and so on, all while the state schools are getting significantly worse at least in my area.

Keep forgetting where you live. But send your kid to my school, let thebore shape your children.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
Public, how is this even a question.

BisMarckie

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »
But send your kid to my school, let thebore shape your children.

Best advice I have ever heard on this site

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
I never had any issues with my state school in Denmark. Had nice teachers and experienced close to no bullying from age 6 to 16. But now, working at a private 'fri skole', it's hard not to see the benefits. The time there is for every kid and so on, all while the state schools are getting significantly worse at least in my area.

Keep forgetting where you live. But send your kid to my school, let thebore shape your children.

Thanks for the inside perspective  :-*

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
Are you in the US?

If yes: Private over State.
If no: State over Private.

You're welcome.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 04:52:48 PM »
I went to private school and I turned out fine-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had something in my throat.  :doge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:57:37 PM »
Speaking of, I thought private school turned people gay, or is that only the British system?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
I went to a public school which was officially catholic but after 2 years we didn't even say a prayer before class anymore.
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »
They should have prayed for you, might have helped.  :-\

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
My parents sent me to public school. Do you really want to run the risk of your kid turning out like me?
🍆🍆

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
Send your kids to Public school and spend the extra money on tutors or something so he can get more one on one instruction or money on sports, extracurriculars or something.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
i'd send my hypothetical turds to public unless they were keen on a private school, were some a u t i s t i c (wtf at that filter  :lol) child genius that needed special resources or were having issues in public.
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
Send your kids to Public school and spend the extra money on tutors or something so he can get more one on one instruction or money on sports, extracurriculars or something.

send them to esport tutors. that is what the rich kids do around here now.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »
If you can afford the best schools why not send your kids to them?
Hi

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
private school, but use publicly funded vouchers pls
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:39:19 PM by shosta »
每天生气

naff

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 09:32:13 PM »
I think the greater diversity in public schools is better for a kid's development but that's a US-specific thing

absolutely. why just a US thing though?
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »
delete this  >:(
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 09:42:40 PM »
I think the greater diversity in public schools is better for a kid's development but that's a US-specific thing

Private schools in the U.S. generally are either heavily religious (Catholic schools, parochial schools, etc), or elitist where the tuition is tens of thousands per semester and a family will generally pay more than even tuition at a private university. Not saying that schools and families don't try to gamify public schools into creating their own homogenous and segregated schools, but its just easier for a private school to do it.

There are private schools that do try to be secular and themed on culture, I have a co-worker that sends her children to an Armenian centric school that tries to instill pride in being Armenian, etc. and the tuition is only $700 per semester. Still, she has 2 kids going to the school, so it's still $2800 per year, and that's not including all the other expense that any kid has just going to school would have, like school supplies, etc.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:12:20 PM by Tripon »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »
I went to private school (Australia). By graduation I still hadn't drank alcohol or smoked a bong

:fbm

Make sure your kids get the skills they need

naff

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »

Private schools in the U.S. generally are either heavily religious (Catholic schools, parochial schools, etc), or elitist where the tuition is tens of thousands per semester where a family will generally pay more than even tuition at a private university. Not saying that schools and families don't try to gamify public schools into creating their own homogenous and segregated schools, but its just easier for a private school to do it. There are private schools that do try to be secular and themed on culture, I have a co-worker that sends her children to an Armenian centric school that tries to instill pride in being Armenian, etc. and the tuition is only $700 per semester. Still, she has 2 kids going to the school, so it's still $2800 per year, and that's not including all the other expense that any kid has just going to school would have, like school supplies, etc.

I thought these issues were universal in private school systems. It's certainly the case here, and yeah, zoning rules and fee structures used by certain public schools are created for similar effect.
◕‿◕

Tripon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »

Private schools in the U.S. generally are either heavily religious (Catholic schools, parochial schools, etc), or elitist where the tuition is tens of thousands per semester where a family will generally pay more than even tuition at a private university. Not saying that schools and families don't try to gamify public schools into creating their own homogenous and segregated schools, but its just easier for a private school to do it. There are private schools that do try to be secular and themed on culture, I have a co-worker that sends her children to an Armenian centric school that tries to instill pride in being Armenian, etc. and the tuition is only $700 per semester. Still, she has 2 kids going to the school, so it's still $2800 per year, and that's not including all the other expense that any kid has just going to school would have, like school supplies, etc.

I thought these issues were universal in private school systems. It's certainly the case here, and yeah, zoning rules and fee structures used by certain public schools are created for similar effect.

My perspective is definately U.S. centric, so I didn't want to assume how it is in other countries. 

naff

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
pretty sure economic barriers work the same everywhere :trumps
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2019, 11:26:21 PM »
I went to private school (Australia). By graduation I still hadn't drank alcohol or smoked a bong

:fbm

Make sure your kids get the skills they need
What sort of school did you go to? Definitely not the case in the Catholic school system. We got well trained in those essential skills, often directly with teachers.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »
Expensive boarding school

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 12:16:07 AM »
Ahhh, that would explain it. Commiserations.
Spud

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »

Private schools in the U.S. generally are either heavily religious (Catholic schools, parochial schools, etc), or elitist where the tuition is tens of thousands per semester and a family will generally pay more than even tuition at a private university. Not saying that schools and families don't try to gamify public schools into creating their own homogenous and segregated schools, but its just easier for a private school to do it.

There are private schools that do try to be secular and themed on culture, I have a co-worker that sends her children to an Armenian centric school that tries to instill pride in being Armenian, etc. and the tuition is only $700 per semester. Still, she has 2 kids going to the school, so it's still $2800 per year, and that's not including all the other expense that any kid has just going to school would have, like school supplies, etc.

Private schools here in Denmark can be religious, but were considering a private school with a greater focus on arts anf letting kids express themselves.

shosta

每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 01:56:45 AM »
Facebook was a better idea

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 02:06:25 AM »
My parents sent me to private school. Do you really want to run the risk of your kid turning out like me?
I've never been to anything but a state school. :thinking

BisMarckie

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
I've never been to anything but a state school. :thinking

That explains so much about your disdain for the state.

Where is the Sigmund Freud emote?