Author Topic: Suggest me games that are good this decade  (Read 2919 times)

Himu

Suggest me games that are good this decade
« on: May 19, 2019, 03:23:25 AM »
At the behest of Positive Touch, started La Mulana. So far it’s a very fun action platformer with very involved exploration. I’m really liking it. Going to play it after Bloodborne and then play Dark Souls 1 after.

So that’s four games in a row I like that I’ve never played before: Cuphead, Sekiro, Bloodborne, and La Mulana. Quite a streak for someone who was disappointed time and time again the past decade of games. Maybe I still am a gamer after all. I quit games for almost three years this decade. What else is good? I’m taking a list of suggestions of games to play that I would enjoy.

The list so far:

- God of War PS4
- La Mulana
- Sleeping Dogs
- Dark Souls trilogy
- Switch stuff like this game where you play as a bar tender or this other one where you’re an Uber driver
- Mario Odyssey
- BOTW
- Monster Hunter Switch
- Dragon’s Dogma Switch
- Nier Automata
- Octopath
- Xcom Enemy Within
- REmake 2
- RE7
- FTL
- SMT Apocalypse
- Nioh
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Ys7 and 8
- Bloodstained
- Monster Boy
- Darius Burst Chronicle
- Resonance of Fate
- Labyrinth of Refrain
- Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Shadowrun Trilogy
- Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
- Tyranny
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Dishonored 1 and 2
- Jazzpunk
- Doom 2016
- Hotline Miami
- Wolfenstein
- DMCV
- Celeste
- The Last Guardian
- Iconoclasts
- Stardew Valley
- Hollow Knight
- VA-11 Hall-A
- Cursed Castilla EX
- Battle Princess Madelyn
- Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2
-Alliance Alive
- Cosmic Star Heroine
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Frozen Synapse Prime
- Invisible Inc
- Fire Emblem series

I’d like some hardcore jrpg shit but not sure if it exists anymore besides Etrian Odyssey and Soulsborne (of which I consider a jrpg).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:09:20 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Svejk

Re: Suggest me games that are good this decade
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 03:52:00 AM »
Witcher 3 no doubt, if you you haven't played it yet.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 03:53:42 AM »
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:00:10 AM »
Witcher 3 no doubt, if you you haven't played it yet.

Borrowed it. Didn’t like the world and the checklist game stuff. Just not into that massive open world shit anymore. Cyberpunk sounds more my speed because it’s more on the rpg side of things. Liked the story though one day might watch it all on YouTube.

Got this day one in 2004 as a college freshman.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »
If you want a regular hardcore rpg, Kingdom Come: Deliverance might be a good choice.

Himu

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:05:05 AM »
If you want a regular hardcore rpg, Kingdom Come: Deliverance might be a good choice.

Just glanced through the review.

https://rpgamer.com/review/kingdom-come-deliverance-review/

Added to the list.

Always preferred j to w but rpgs that are actual hardcore rpgs is good. I have a preference towards dungeon crawlers btw. Divinity Orignal Sin is good.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
Ys 8, The Messenger, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Monster Boy, Dragon's Trap remake, Darius Burst Chronicle, and it's a bit older (last gen) but Hard Corps: Uprising.

Xenoblade X doesn't bog you down with constant cutscenes, and has some extremely complicated systems but it may be a bit too open ended for your tastes... but at least the world is super creative and visually striking.

Resonance of Fate is a super innovative RPG with an unorthodox battle system. It's got a bit of a Cowboy Bebop type 'bounty hunter' vibe, a bit directionless with overall plot, but it was a blast. Recently came out with an HD remake.

I'm not really into dungeon crawlers but I've heard lots of praise for Labyrinth of Refrain.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
-Divinity: Original Sin 2 [it's a lot better than the first game, which was still good, and there's not really any story connection so you don't need to play them in order]
-Shadowrun Trilogy [Hong Kong and Dragonfall are quite a bit better than Returns, though]
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 [both a good, but I really liked the pirate aesthetic of the 2]
Tyranny [less content-rich than PoE, but more focused the effects of the player's choices]
Torment: Tides of Numenera [not as good as Planescape: Torment, but still really good]
Dishonored 1 and 2 [top-tier stealth-action games]
Jazzpunk [feels like a modern successor to 90s Lucasarts adventure games, very weird and funny]
Doom 2016 [probably the best first-person shooter of the modern era]

And one more suggestion that's outside the norm:

-Eastshade [it's an open-world game where instead of fighting monsters you paint pictures for people, it's great and I love it; only downside is it's fairly short]
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
Hotline Miami
Shovel Knight
Wolfenstein
Doom

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
Bit older than this decade but did you check out Spelunky?

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 02:44:19 PM »
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen

Bitterblack Isle is one of the greatest dungeons in gaming history. 

Himu

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
Ys 8, The Messenger, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Monster Boy, Dragon's Trap remake, Darius Burst Chronicle, and it's a bit older (last gen) but Hard Corps: Uprising.

Xenoblade X doesn't bog you down with constant cutscenes, and has some extremely complicated systems but it may be a bit too open ended for your tastes... but at least the world is super creative and visually striking.

Resonance of Fate is a super innovative RPG with an unorthodox battle system. It's got a bit of a Cowboy Bebop type 'bounty hunter' vibe, a bit directionless with overall plot, but it was a blast. Recently came out with an HD remake.

I'm not really into dungeon crawlers but I've heard lots of praise for Labyrinth of Refrain.

Haven’t played an Ys in years. It’s on the list. Played Hard Corps and been waiting for a re-release for ages. Played Dragon trap remake. Monster Boy on the list. Bloodstained barely interests me but I’ll check it out.

I enjoy open worlds, tiesto. Remember I’m the GTA Stan.

I’ll check out the others. I didn’t get to play RoF last gen.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »
Bit older than this decade but did you check out Spelunky?

Yeah. I love it. One of my last gen faves.

If the avatar and name don't give it away then DMC5. #ShillLife

There's plenty of others I can think of that I might post later. But I know you like 2D platformers so I recommend Celeste which is a gem of a game.

Celeste is on the list as is DMCV.

Already on the list.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »

Looking forward to playing this if I ever beat DS1

Chooky

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
some other recent less recommended shit that i miiiiight see you liking if you're in the right mood:

Last Guardian: yeah it's basically ico 2 but with even worse controls and camera, but it's still a great adventure and if you have any animal affinity at all this game will absolutely kill you. one of my favorites from this gen.

Iconoclasts: plays kinda like a gba platformer. lots of fun straightforward platforming, puzzles, and boss battles, with a surprisingly entertaining story too. it has its rough spots, most noticeably the awkward dialog, but it's a really endearing game.

Himu

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
I am a big fan of team ico. Never played Last Guardian.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
If you can look past the horrendous framerate and the ps2 caliber, clunky gameplay, it's a beautiful experience. 

Himu

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
If you can look past the horrendous framerate and the ps2 caliber, clunky gameplay, it's a beautiful experience.

So you mean good gameplay? :delicious :snob
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
I will second Hotline Miami. 2's not as good, though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »
Hotline Miami is a must.  HM2 is not as good but still worth checking out.  More recently, Katana Zero is awesome and is a like a 2D side-scrolling HM in some ways.

The bartender game is VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action.  It's available on pretty much every platform now.    People also recommend 2064: Read Only Memories.  I haven't played it yet so not sure how good it is.  VA-11 Hall-A is way more my style and just amazing...am going through it now.

Sleeping Dogs is one I still need to play myself.  My favorite open-world GTA-style game is Saint's Row The Third.  SR4 is good but re-uses a lot of assets (including the same map), but plays very differently. 

Want to play a 2D shooter that's hard as shit?  Try Cuphead.  For Ghouls N' Ghosts style action, check out Cursed Castilla EX and Battle Princess Madelyn.

Aragami is a cool Tenchu-like stealth action game.  (PLAY IT, SVEJK :punch)

I really like Dragon Quest Builders.  It's a really fun little action-RPG, albeit kind of repetitive since you finish up one world and then start over again in the next.

Will leave musou recommendations out since we have that thread and I can't remember what you have and haven't played that's recent.  I remember you got SW4-II.
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 04:26:37 AM »
Invisible Inc.
Unity of Command
ὕβρις

Svejk

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
People also recommend 2064: Read Only Memories.  I haven't played it yet so not sure how good it is. 
It's... not so great.  Definitely no Snatch.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
Also you'll probably appreciate the Suikoden-esque elements in Alliance Alive and Cosmic Star Heroine. Both are pretty entertaining titles.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 06:11:10 PM »
With your current fling with Soulsborne, I'm really curious what your thoughts would be after playing Dragon's Dogma.  I'd say it's arguably better...  Especially if you compared them at entry level. DS has the dark, elusive lore no doubt... But in DD, gameplay is king in that game.  No pussy lock-on mechanic, because the combat is just that fucking good.  Character customization is no match either.  No other game (that I know of) allows for clothes AND armor choice layers.   It's mind boggling that it's taken this long for a sequel.  Don't get me wrong, I've been enjoying DSIII on a very high level and is bloody fantastic, but DD.....    :lawd :whew :preach :ohyeah

You'll have to forgive me..  The hype from that game pushes me into the clouds again, I feel the blood in my veins.  Time is running free, I feel like letting go.. Just like a Dangan.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
Celeste
Titanfall 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:34 PM »
I will second Hotline Miami. 2's not as good, though.

I have it on steam. To the list.

Hollow Knight is great.

To the list.

Katana Zero

Never heard. Checked trailer. Looks amazing.

The bartender game is VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action.  It's available on pretty much every platform now.    People also recommend 2064: Read Only Memories.  I haven't played it yet so not sure how good it is.  VA-11 Hall-A is way more my style and just amazing...am going through it now.

Cyberpunk Bartender Action to the list.

Sleeping Dogs is one I still need to play myself.  My favorite open-world GTA-style game is Saint's Row The Third.  SR4 is good but re-uses a lot of assets (including the same map), but plays very differently. 

I shilled Saints Row games on here for years. 2 is my favorite open world game. 3 was a good sequel. 4 made me choke on my own vomit.

Want to play a 2D shooter that's hard as shit?  Try Cuphead.  For Ghouls N' Ghosts style action, check out Cursed Castilla EX and Battle Princess Madelyn.

Listed Cuphead as one of the games to make me see the light in the OP. Added Cursed Castilla and Battle Princess to DA LIST.

Aragami is a cool Tenchu-like stealth action game.  (PLAY IT, SVEJK :punch)

Aragami looks okay. I'll research more.

I really like Dragon Quest Builders.  It's a really fun little action-RPG, albeit kind of repetitive since you finish up one world and then start over again in the next.

I forgot to buy DQB. I played the demo and it basically takes you from town to town in the original DQ. It was the first Minecraft like game I've ever liked. Helps that I'm a DQ fangirl. To the list.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »

Have Mark of the Ninja. It was okay. It fully embraced my criticism of modern stealth, which is mostly about doing cool things to kill people in a sneaky manner which the genre has been obsessed with since Batman AA, instead of tried and true stealth fundamentals of not being seen. It was ok but not my cup of tea.

Wolfenstein added to the list.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 08:45:25 PM »
Invisible Inc.
Unity of Command

I see Invicisble Inc is by the MOTN people. I looked up a trailer and it has lots of killing. It says Tactical Espionage in the title like MGS, but I can play MGS without killing or having an alert. Does Invisible Inc allow for more diversity in play styles compared to Mark of the Ninja? Speaking of stealth, need to add Hitman 1 and 2 to the list.
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
With your current fling with Soulsborne, I'm really curious what your thoughts would be after playing Dragon's Dogma.  I'd say it's arguably better...

i need to revisit this with mods. removing the fucking annoying encumbrance limit, gimme infinite stamina, improve textures and shading.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
That's it for suggestions. Here's the complete list. All I need now are more jrpgs. I know who to go to for that. Thanks all! This should take me 2-3 years. That's cool. I'll play catch up. It's the end of the gen and the beginning of generations tend to suck shit so I have plenty of time to catch up while also balancing out the Switch.

- God of War PS4
- La Mulana
- Sleeping Dogs
- Dark Souls trilogy
- Switch stuff like this game where you play as a bar tender or this other one where you’re an Uber driver
- Mario Odyssey
- BOTW
- Monster Hunter Switch
- Dragon’s Dogma Switch
- Nier Automata
- Octopath
- Xcom remake
- REmake 2
- RE7
- FTL
- SMT Apocalypse
- Nioh
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Ys7 and 8
- Bloodstained
- Monster Boy
- Darius Burst Chronicle
- Resonance of Fate
- Labyrinth of Refrain
- Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Shadowrun Trilogy
- Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
- Tyranny
- Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Dishonored 1 and 2
- Jazzpunk
- Doom 2016
- Hotline Miami
- Wolfenstein
- DMCV
- Celeste
- The Last Guardian
- Iconoclasts
- Stardew Valley
- Hollow Knight
- VA-11 Hall-A
- Cursed Castilla EX
- Battle Princess Madelyn
- Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2
-Alliance Alive
- Cosmic Star Heroine
- Ori and the Blind Forest
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
Invisible Inc.
Unity of Command

I see Invicisble Inc is by the MOTN people. I looked up a trailer and it has lots of killing. It says Tactical Espionage in the title like MGS, but I can play MGS without killing or having an alert. Does Invisible Inc allow for more diversity in play styles compared to Mark of the Ninja? Speaking of stealth, need to add Hitman 1 and 2 to the list.

I'm fairly certain you can play through Invisible Inc. without killing anyone. In fact, most of the characters IIRC don't have any direct lethal options, though it may depend on who you roll at the start of the game just how inconvenient that choice can be for that playthrough. Most of the time you'll KO guards if you can't avoid them. Lethal options are noticeably more expensive to use.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:20:39 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »
SAINT'S ROW
:bolo
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Like I wrote, I have shilled Saints Row on this site since the original. 2 is my favorite sandbox game. 3 is good, 4 sucks. Why are you bringing up Saints Row? :confused
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
Like I wrote, I have shilled Saints Row on this site since the original. 2 is my favorite sandbox game. 3 is good, 4 sucks. Why are you bringing up Saints Row? :confused

I missed your post.  :P

OK then.  Put Katana Zero on that list.
:bolo
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
Invisible Inc.
Unity of Command

I forget if there's lethal options, but the tutorial has you STUN guards. And those stunned guards can get up and thereby raise alert levels. You can customize it to be as hard or as easy as you want. There's an "ironman" mode and the ability to customize the rule-sets for your own purposes.

You have the option to not engage guards, but there is a few that may not move, hence the ambush and knock them out ability. You then "sit" on those guards to stop them from waking up.

YMMV, but the game's actual gameplay loop (stealth with turn-based actions) reminds me of Metal Gear: AC!D in a good way.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
There's some characters who have lethal guns limited to 2 or 3 shots max (The Blade Runner expy and the Lebanese Hitman) and looking at the wiki I seem to remember (I haven't played the game in a couple year) you could get firearms offered with other options depending on the RNG. You need to buy ammo everytime you use some in missions and killing guards has a clean up cost added too, which you cannot brush aside because the campaign is very intense and short. There's a other couple options (like hacking a gun turret) to kill guards. The DLC added a character which apparently requires murder to level up but by and large the main tool is the taser or avoidance.

The game is built upon procedural generation so I wouldn't say you always can avoid doing certain things but it's much more organic and less artificial than a MGS at dissuading you of murdering people.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Added to the list.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
I've seen the Xcom remake in your list, I don't know if this was already noted but I'd advise about jumping straight into the augmented expension Enemy Within rather than the vanilla game Enemy Unknown. It's just a richer, better experience overall.

I haven't played the sequel myself but to my understanding the first one is probably a better entry point if you're unfamiliar.

I would also add Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex if you think that's your thing. It's a bit borderline for your taste but those were definitely highlights for me so...
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
I'd personally go with Frozen Synapse: Prime over the original. There's some UI improvements there. But I think the Red DLC back-ported those to the original.

I do think it's solid, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
Also started Fire Emblem 7 (GBA). My first Fire Emblem and I'm loving it a lot. Even the tutorial shows tremendous depth that I crave.

Putting it on my 3ds. Some of these games I can knock out two birds one stone by playing portable and playing on pc/console. Looking forward to Switch more than ever. My dream system.

Currently playing three games at once. Near the end of Bloodborne, playing La Mulana and Fire Emblem on the side since they don't require much commitment. And fighting games at the arcade too.

I guess I can call myself a gamer again now. :)

Thank you From for reigniting my love for single player games.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:16:51 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:10 PM »
I'd personally go with Frozen Synapse: Prime over the original. There's some UI improvements there. But I think the Red DLC back-ported those to the original.

I do think it's solid, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Not a big fan of Prime aesthetics. Red is a decent expansion for sure. Like Xcom, I'm not sure the sequel is a superior entry point for a new player. All that said, Frozen Cortex is probably the funniest single player experience even if you will brake the game after a few seasons in the Robo Football League. Multiplayer might be dead for it however, when I would bet you still can find game for Synapse...
ὕβρις