Author Topic: Metal Gear, everything about it, was amazing and beautiful  (Read 4093 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY

Watching this, and remembering how awesome this intensely weird, detailed, and quirky game was back in 2001.

Metal Gear is dead as fuck, and it was amazing.

:usacry :japancry   :'(

*Everything but Twin Snakes
OH!

Himu

Re: Metal Gear, everything about it, was amazing and beautiful
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:41:21 PM »
MGS died with 4.

These are the good Metal Gears.

*  indicates an all time classic
** indicates top tier in the series

- Metal Gear
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake **
- Metal Gear Solid  **
- Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions *
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel *
- Metal Gear Solid 2 *
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance **
- Metal Gear Solid 3 *
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence **
- Metal Gear Acid
- Metal Gear Acid 2
- Metal Gear Solid V

Good run tbh. Nearly every game in the series is worth playing. MGS4 and Metal Gear 2 NES remain to be trash.

One of my all time favorite franchises. Shame what happened to it once Fukushima left.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
Kojima tried to warn us about the Russians, man. :hans1  You think Death Stranding is ever actually happening? Maybe there'll be some news at E3.
Hi

Chooky

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 11:24:41 PM »
i absolutely loved the series but holy shit did mgs4 just completely kill any interest i had. i used to play 1-3 endlessly but haven't touched them for more than an hour since 2008, and i never put much more than that into 5. my enthusiasm was just gone. funny how that worked.

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:09:47 AM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:14:08 AM »
How does mgs die with 4 when the sequel winds up on your list anyway?
fat

Himu

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »

V is good in its own way, but it's still not up to the standards of the series.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 12:22:20 AM »
The impression I get is V could have been the Breath of the Wild of the series if Konami had given it enough time in the oven...

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »
Metal Gear Solid V is garbage.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 01:00:37 AM »
MGSV is one of the best open world games ever made :trumps

What's with the Twin Snakes call? I thought it was meant to be really good.
◕‿◕

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 01:08:40 AM »
MGS1 OG Playstation version has really good voice acting, along with the OG soundtrack being very atmospheric. The majority of stylistic changes in cool young dude Snakes are for the worst.

With MGS V, I found Peace Walker to be incredibly dope. So building a base of soldiers up for 100+ hours was incredible. I wanna replay MGS V very soon.
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 01:09:25 AM »

naff

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 01:16:46 AM »
MGS1 OG Playstation version has really good voice acting, along with the OG soundtrack being very atmospheric. The majority of stylistic changes in cool young dude Snakes are for the worst.

With MGS V, I found Peace Walker to be incredibly dope. So building a base of soldiers up for 100+ hours was incredible. I wanna replay MGS V very soon.

cool. did seem weird changing that stuff, but i've played mgs so many times i figured the change could be refreshing/novel. i remember watching the cgr review for it that lauded it, and wanting to play it real bad but never getting it then moving onto the ps triple, playing MGS4 and being like fuck kojima.

mgsv is an incredible sandbox. there are so many missed opportunities where they could've improved, but imo has the best core gameplay in the series, with some incredible moments and what could've been shining through at points (Mission 33: Subsistence C2W :lawd :tocry)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:20:57 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 01:36:34 AM »
MGS1 OG Playstation version has really good voice acting

It blew my mind.

Went from FF7 to MGS in a year. Even RE or RE2 didn't have voice acting like that. It was a major gaming milestone for me. That era had milestone after milestone. God like. Can never be replicated.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:56:49 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 05:41:37 AM »
I admit MGSV has the best core gameplay of the series.

Too bad it’s surrounded by shit.

A tedious open world that at the end of the day just serves as filler to getting to the actual “levels”.

A MGS devoid of set pieces or actual interesting senerioes. So much that in the end missions just repeat. Not that any of them had any memorable moments.

A continuation of PW’s awful grinding and boring base systems.

Somehow a further downgrade of boss battles from PW. From just terrible to not existing.

A story with no pacing, character, point, or momentum to it. The only MGS thing about is that it continues the post MGS 3 tradition of shitting on and retconing MGS3.

One of the worst and most vapid “please jerk off to me” characters ever.

A MGS game without actual personality.

It would be the worst MGS and it is, but 4 and PW already soured the series for me.

paprikastaude

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »

tbh it's the only sincerely great game I can think of that carries the modern open world monicker. Plus I don't care for the hamfisted storytelling of feces obsessed Kojima, so I'll also take the gameplay focus of 5 over other MGS games.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:25 AM »
Peace Walker, terrible camera aside was alright. I'll never get Rah's hate boner for it. It's a tolerable co-op Metal Gear which is what Kojima was going for since Monster Hunter at the time was fuck-huge in Japan and he wanted to make a portable Metal Gear.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »

What's with the Twin Snakes call? I thought it was meant to be really good.

twin snakes is amazing. baby dick doesnt know what hes talking about.

it still fetches a pretty penny on ebay too
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »

V is good in its own way, but it's still not up to the standards of the series.

i mean, technically MGS -did- die with V because, well, that's that. no more kojima. so saying it died with 4 isn't even accurate.
fat

Himu

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
Anyways Demi. Why do I consider mgs dead after mgs4 but still include v? Because v has the gameplay and little else. Like with 4 Kojima still has no one to put his stupid story ideas to censure. Mgsv is basically half a good metal gear game. The gameplay is good and sometimes even great but then it has shit like the quiet scene bathing around a bunch of dudes. Basically mgs at that point was kojima without  a filter which started with 4. Is v still worth playing? Sure. But it still suffers from many issues introduced in 4. And the quality of mg2 on to mgs3 is pretty much gone.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
MGS 4 is by far the worst Metal Gear. It's irredeemable trash. The story is idiotic and like the worst fanfiction imaginable.
Gameplay wise it's also trash because it doesn't know whether it wants to be a stealth game or a third person shooter. I mean in the rare instances where you actually play the game.
The bosses suck. None of these fights is fun. And these long exposition dumps from Drebin after each fight that are all the fucking same. :neogaf
Did I mention that the story is trash as well?
That scene with Meryl and dude who shits his pants because Kojima saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith :lol
The wedding :sabu
The hospital scene. :dead

MGS V story pacing has some problems, but I appreciate a toned down version compared to the pile of ahit that was MGS 4.

p.s. Twin Snakes is alright. If you're new to the series you should play the original, but as a bonus episode it's pretty good.

BisMarckie

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
MGS V with mods, no loadouts and no calling in stuff via airdrop. :lawd

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
Now that I got an MSX I need to give the originals a shake. Alsl still have to play Peace Walker, Portable Ops, and Ghost Babel. Favorite is still the first MGS though! But I've found stuff to love in each of the main 5 Solid titles... even 4 (my pick for weakest entry) had a cool first 2 chapters.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »
Peace Walker, terrible camera aside was alright. I'll never get Rah's hate boner for it. It's a tolerable co-op Metal Gear which is what Kojima was going for since Monster Hunter at the time was fuck-huge in Japan and he wanted to make a portable Metal Gear.
I don't really know whats not to get. Why would anyone want a co-op Metal Gear game? And since I don't live in Japan, a co-op PSP game is kind of shit.

The game is shit if you want a normal Metal Gear game.

Terrible level design. Sure it's on the PSP, but Jesus christ can every basic stealth mission basically be completed with you going into a corner and just FPS tranquing people. That's it! That's all I did and there was little reason to not do that....

..Because in the end I wanted the grind to go the path of least resistance. Grinding in a Metal Gear game? What the fuck is that shit. But you have to repat the same boring missions over and over again to futton soldiers so that you can unlock stuff to make the boss battles "tolerable"...

..If they can even be made "tolerable". Jesus are these some of the worst boss battles in Metal Gear Solid. Lacking any character and personality or interesting mechanics. Which is fucking awful in a series known for boss battles like that. They are just boring vehicle battles that all take forever. They aren't hard. Their challenge doesn't come from any skillful play. No they just are not balanced at all and so every boss battle becomes shoot them with missiles, wait for supply drop, repat....

...Of course if you have grinded maybe you'll have the best RPG so that the boss battle takes 15 mins instead of 30 or an hour. Which meant that you just grinded PW's copy and paste missions. I remember when MGS felt like a finely crafted single player game with things like pacing, interesting set pieces, and personality. All gone with PW. Replaced with grindy and boring base management.

So the actual gameplay sucks. I mean it sure did on PSP where trying to aim and do more then one thing was a battle unto itself. On PS3 it just becomes more apparent how brain dead boring and simple the gameplay is because now you can aim without trouble. But was the story good? No, it's just more pointless retcon shit that shits on MGS3.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
Im a piece of human filth for not finishing the fourth Metal Gear and basically stopping at the boss you encounter in the tower ( like in the beginning of the game ).

Then again I only finished MGS1 and MGS3 and V. I still think MGS3 is the best but MGS1 will allways stick with me. When I finished that I felt like I had gone through a unique experience unlike anything I had experienced before it.
What

Chooky

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
the worst thing about mgs 4 and 5 is that everyone talks about those fucking games instead of revengance

Rahxephon91

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »
Pretty sad that Revengence is the only good Metal Gear game that has felt like Metal Gear since 3.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
the worst thing about mgs 4 and 5 is that everyone talks about those fucking games instead of revengance

I have actually finished that one too, great fucking game
What

BisMarckie

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
MGS2 was trash.

:rage
I hated it when it came out but appreciated it more and more every time I came back to it. It‘s probably tied for my favorite game of the series now. It just is so well done. The tanker blows up and then you think  they just pretty much redid the first game. And then the fuckery begins. :aah

Chooky

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »
i hated the main campaign. i still played the game a lot because the gameplay was so amazing, but man fuck the story, fuck the backtracking, and fuck bomb defusing. substance edition, tho, wooo man. played the living fuck out of that. the amount of extra content they added was just absurd, with like 500 VR missions, plus those weird alt reality stories, plus ofc skateboarding. was always kinda bitter that they moved to online modes as extras for mgs3 and 4.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »
MGS2 was trash.

:rage
I hated it when it came out but appreciated it more and more every time I came back to it. It‘s probably tied for my favorite game of the series now. It just is so well done. The tanker blows up and then you think  they just pretty much redid the first game. And then the fuckery begins. :aah
SuBvErTeD ExPeCtAtIoNs!
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like MGS2 too.
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »
MGS1 might have made a tear come out of my face.  Changed my whole perspective shit.

BisMarckie

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 08:47:40 PM »
Svejk 20 years ago. So love can bloom on the battlefield! :ohhh

Himu

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
MGS2 was trash.

Story was hilarious but the gameplay is incredible.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 10:17:28 PM »

Himu

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
the wolf cave frightened me as a kid
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 12:17:14 AM »
I agree with demi, Twin Snakes is pretty good, just don't fret about the story crap or anything, that's what the original version is for. Instead you get the cool scenarios from the game but with a bunch of the improved gameplay stuff from MGS2, only without that games nonsense story and scenarios. (Although I do admit that the first person shooting can screw up some of the scenario design.)

Someone should edit in the PS1's cutscenes/voices/etc. overtop while the game itself remains Twin Snakes. Actually sorta baffled if this hasn't been tried.

IIRC, they actually originally redid all the cutscenes and stuff pretty much exactly as the original just with the new models and so on. Kojima was the one who was like "ya know, change em" so the director could make them his own and it'd be unique rather than a straight up copy.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 12:29:01 AM »
The reason Twin Snakes is bad is because it has ps2 era features like first person that the game isn't designed for which makes it far more easy than it should be because the boss fights are literally the same and weren't upgraded or changed in any significant way (for example Ocelot fight).
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 12:32:25 AM »
I mean, the boss fights weren't exactly that difficult in the first place tho. Running in circles wasn't topped as the greatest tactic used by the greatest soldier ever until that ladder in Ground Zeroes. :lol

naff

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 12:35:49 AM »
. nvm
◕‿◕

bluemax

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 12:41:49 AM »
Amazingly misogynistic b-movie plots and beautifully wonky controls/camera angles.
NO

Himu

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 01:02:28 AM »
I mean, the boss fights weren't exactly that difficult in the first place tho. Running in circles wasn't topped as the greatest tactic used by the greatest soldier ever until that ladder in Ground Zeroes. :lol

So? In TS you can literally just sit there, go into the first person mode and shoot him dead in seconds. It's broken. In the original you have to watch out for bullets ricocheting Baker. Despite its simplicity it's far more involved. The addition of first person ruins entire bosses and set pieces the game wasn't even designed for like the more elaborate such as Psycho Mantis. It's just a broken remake. Combined with the weird cutscene direction and it just didn't stand the test of time compared to the original.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:08:15 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
Doesn't matter, still a top three Denis Dyack produced game. :success

Svejk

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »
The reason Twin Snakes is bad is because it has ps2 era features like first person that the game isn't designed for which makes it far more easy than it should be because the boss fights are literally the same and weren't upgraded or changed in any significant way (for example Ocelot fight).
Plus the majority of BGM was changed to piss poor, generic, drone ambience for whatever reason.

Chooky

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
right, in twin snakes you could lay on the floor during the psycho mantis fight and he couldn't hit you, and you could use the iframes from the pop out move to stun lock raven.

twin snakes overall wasn't a bad game or anything but outside the wacky cutscenes it kinda felt like a very nice fan mod. it didn't bring anything new to the table either.

Himu

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »
Play it for the story once. Then skip on later runs.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
Anyways, I don't think MGS1 is the best in the series in terms of gameplay. But it's still my favorite if only because of the setting, story, characters, and music. I wish it could get a proper remake with modern MGS inventions that are properly balanced towards it but without Kojima at the helm I'm skeptical towards any attempt to do so.

You know that meme how about things were awesome when you were 13? Yeah, well, things really were fucking awesome when I was 13. MGS1 fucking rocked my world. What a game.

Warhead Storage Facility the god.

Snow landscapes so good.

Dope ending theme.

I used to be a complete MGS stan. 4 was so bad. I haven't played a classic MGS game in over ten years.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:11:41 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Himu

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 05:23:25 PM »
One of My favorite tracks was this one...

Seeing the aftermath of Grey Fox..  sent digital chills down my spine wondering wtf happened in that hallway... 

Kojima in his pri-zime.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7vAeDYh8SvTgorwzhTc96wQSFv4ZvILc

Big Boss rank playthrough of MGS2 with heavy commentary. I remember enjoying this, but can't recall anything specific about it. :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »
Metal Gear Scanlon is still the GOAT.

Drew falling through that trap door had me wheezing. :rofl

Chooky

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »
MGS1's soundtrack always gets overlooked when people talk about great ps1 music and it's bullshit because it's one of the best. free TAPPY

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
Plus the majority of BGM was changed to piss poor, generic, drone ambience for whatever reason.

And the cut-scenes were turned into :trash

*SnakeRidingAMissile.webM*

Chooky

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »
please, the cutscenes were hilarious. best part of the remake.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
MGS2 is a top 5 all time for your boy. :rejoice

5 was awful. The core gameplay is so great, but the game has one  mission model of "find x and parachute it out". Legit 5/10 game.

Actually it's called Fulton Recovery System and it's literally the contrary to a parachute.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
Im a piece of human filth for not finishing the fourth Metal Gear and basically stopping at the boss you encounter in the tower ( like in the beginning of the game ).

If you mean the Central European bell tower, you were well past the half of actual gameplay in that game.

I have great memories of MGS1, 3 (which I think is the one who handles best the silly cocktail of James Bond / John Rambo / Shirow Mil Otaku) and finished 2 but in a sense I'm glad it's over and Kojima has been freed from a lifetime sentence of just retreading that stuff in more and more nonsensical ways. It wasn't worth it even if the controls, mechanics and gameplay actually continued to get better (even in 4, too bad there was barely any game to use them in). At least with a new franchise and a clean start he's shedding that mess of shitty lore MGS accumulated and hopefully won't bury as much his game design ideas.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »
anyone below him would see his naughty bits

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »
Remember that one room in MGS1 that was just completely full of cameras wall to wall like what the hell was that lmao

That's some Garry's Mod "let's fuck around with the engine" stuff that made it into the final game
Uncle