Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons thread; includes APs like Critical Role  (Read 8091 times)

kingv

Re: Dungeons and Dragons thread; includes APs like Critical Role
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2019, 12:02:33 AM »
I bought one of the TVC edited books.

Enjoy the dank royalties.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2019, 06:38:24 AM »
Quote from: 4chan
Anonymous 09/13/19(Fri)17:38:35 No.68343949
>he expects the commoners to praise him for being a hero
Let's be honest here, most people would think of adventurers the same way most people think of modern soldiers, a necessary job reserved for dumbasses.

Really made me :thinking

(Chrono, I shouldn't be the one hawking TTRPG's for your thread. Start posting your DM'ing adventures to inspire me to actually get my Genesys shit done.)

kingv

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Not sure if you guys ever read the book series NPCs by Drew Hayes but it’s kind of a fun take on tabletop games. Basically it’s from the perspective of characters that are (or at least start as) NPCs.

They see the adventurers as sort of mercurial and strange. Also remark about a phenomenon where adventurers will sometimes have a string of incredibly good or incredibly bad luck.

thisismyusername

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
Humbles apparently doing an RPG adventure bundle. I dunno any of the ones they have listed. So...  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2019, 01:54:13 AM »
Quote from: 4chan
Anonymous 09/13/19(Fri)17:38:35 No.68343949
>he expects the commoners to praise him for being a hero
Let's be honest here, most people would think of adventurers the same way most people think of modern soldiers, a necessary job reserved for dumbasses.

Really made me :thinking

(Chrono, I shouldn't be the one hawking TTRPG's for your thread. Start posting your DM'ing adventures to inspire me to actually get my Genesys shit done.)
I've been on break for the past month! I'll start posting more, shortly.

Humbles apparently doing an RPG adventure bundle. I dunno any of the ones they have listed. So...  :doge
https://bundleofholding.com is the humblebundle of TTRPGs. They have legitimately great stuff up about 1/2 the time. My decorative PDF collection has swollen.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »
had a local game come up, but was too busy to go :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2019, 03:11:30 AM »
had a local game come up, but was too busy to go :(

Well, at least you didn't nope-out due to lesser reasons, such as laziness or anxiety! I've had both of those.

thisismyusername

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
I ran Cormacaroni and his daughter through what may be our penultimate session yesterday. They had fled a horrible city under the rule of a tyrant queen, tasked by the estranged City Guard Field Marshall with finding an item and keeping it away from the queen. They'd been under a ticking clock, pushing their way through a dungeon before the queen's enforcers might catch up with them, harried to the point of Cormacaroni's sorceror having no-remaining-spell-slots for three sessions in a row, due to being unable to take a Long Rest.

Their mission was successful, and as of the beginning of the most recent session, I put them in a small hamlet which seems to have an unusual wealth level for its location and apparent lack of economic advantage. But we spent the whole session just describing a meal and NPC interactions in a superb bed-and-breakfast style inn. Not a single dice was rolled. It was pretty great.

thisismyusername

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »
How did you run the timer? Making turns in a battle? Just winging it?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 01:00:41 AM »
How did you run the timer? Making turns in a battle? Just winging it?

They never knew exactly how much time was on the clock, only that a competing force was heading toward the same goal.

tl;dr: When they took actions that would increase or decrease their lead, I would give them a range of hours that it was likely to affect the other team.

Longer version: The near midnight in game-time, mission-giver told them that the competing team would leave at first light. Gave them a cart and horses and supplies and said, "If you leave now, you'll have up to a 6 hour head start. The more you push yourselves, the greater your lead will increase." They forewent a night's sleep that first night, kept their 6 hour lead. Tried it a 2nd night, and ended up Exhausted. One of them had already been level-1 Exhausted before setting out, so she became 2nd-level Exhausted, and the other just 1st-level. But they'd gained another 6 hours or so.

Knowing they'd be screwed if they had to face challenges Exhausted and out of spells/abilities, they decided to rest once at an inn. After that, they kept pushing. They made it to the goal first, cleared the entire dungeon in three sessions, but due to IRL time running combat vs. in-game time, they only took a couple hours in-game to clear it.

If I were going to do it again, I'd use Blades in the Dark Clocks for this, give them a four-segment Clock to have the competing team catch up, and a four- or six-segment Clock to chart progress toward the goal. Whichever one fills first, based on their actions and mistakes, would determine who makes it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s/posts/2674520

Their kickstarter just turned into a Amazon show.  Pretty cool.

Our friends at Amazon have partnered with us to broadcast Critical Role: The Legend of Vox Machina exclusively on Amazon Prime Video! And that’s not all… This partnership has allowed us to create TWO ENTIRE SEASONS and an additional TWO episodes per season. That’s a total of 24 episodes of animated Vox Machina goodness that we cannot wait to share with you.

thisismyusername

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2019, 04:25:16 PM »
I can't wait for the drama of them doing a one-shot Bezo's adventure. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2020, 11:55:46 PM »
So, We finally started our Genesys campaign after like a year of hemming and hawing about it.

And first roll into it: I get a failure and advantage. So my social check on trying to find the NPC's motivation has me basically staring at them like an idiot with a crush while this mohawked information broker is telling us the job. :doge :lol #JustLikeMyAmericanAnimes

DM/GM apparently has the idea of running his "episodes" (of which there's... 10-11?) in a week, or so of doing it via Discord text-postings. Given how long the practice session one-shot was with 3 players (a week), I'm a little dubious about that timeline but we'll see how it plays out. I'm just glad that after buying the Core Rulebook and Shadow of the Beanstalk/Android source-book we're actually using it, as a Netrunner player.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »
So, We finally started our Genesys campaign after like a year of hemming and hawing about it.

And first roll into it: I get a failure and advantage. So my social check on trying to find the NPC's motivation has me basically staring at them like an idiot with a crush while this mohawked information broker is telling us the job. :doge :lol #JustLikeMyAmericanAnimes

DM/GM apparently has the idea of running his "episodes" (of which there's... 10-11?) in a week, or so of doing it via Discord text-postings. Given how long the practice session one-shot was with 3 players (a week), I'm a little dubious about that timeline but we'll see how it plays out. I'm just glad that after buying the Core Rulebook and Shadow of the Beanstalk/Android source-book we're actually using it, as a Netrunner player.

It's always good to be gaming. Even sparse, unevenly distributed, play-by-post bs is better than not-gaming.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2020, 04:11:44 AM »
https://dnd.wizards.com/remote/freematerial

Free D&D materials for the shelter at home peeps.

Finally saw the D&D episode of Community. That was a heap of fun.

thisismyusername

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »
https://dnd.wizards.com/remote/freematerial

Free D&D materials for the shelter at home peeps.

"Please note that certain adventures are being made free on the DMs Guild for a limited time, so be sure to grab them now while you can!"

They did the same thing with that level 1 adventure last week.

Edit: Oh some of them are free to keep via the DriveThruRPG clone store. :doge Silver linings.

Finally saw the D&D episode of Community. That was a heap of fun.

...You're not in the same Discord I'm in, are you? Someone else literally said that a few days ago. :doge
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:09:34 AM by thisismyusername »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »
Community just returned to Netflix, so they’re likely going through it at a similar pace as I am.

I’m on TheBore discord but I find discord as a format disorienting so I don’t check in much.

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2020, 08:20:12 PM »
It's just IRC with Twitter, Website, and Image embeds. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2020, 04:10:11 AM »
"Please note that certain adventures are being made free on the DMs Guild for a limited time, so be sure to grab them now while you can!"

You purchase them now, they're always available to you.
They may not be free next week.

thisismyusername

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »

You purchase them now, they're always available to you.
They may not be free next week.

No, I'm talking the ones that aren't on their DriveThruRPG (which it is, because my account there worked)/Adventure League store. The one's that are a direct PDF like the (last week) DnD beyond freebie.

This one: "DDAL Dungeon Master's Guide: An updated guide to getting started as a Dungeon Master for the Adventurers League." Is a direct link to Wizards.com/WotC. Knowing how WotC changes their servers/shit (Magic: Arena account information leak.history) often, it's possible this isn't going to be available for free too long/keep. You'd have to download and back it up yourself.

"So why don't you do that already?"

I mean, you can. But it's really annoying how Wizard's goes out of their way to make getting digital D20 products a gigantic PITA. Their players guide and dungeon masters guide isn't on DriveThru (or the Adventures League IIRC) but only available in like Roll20, VirtualTableTops like Fantasy Grounds or DnD Beyond.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2020, 07:14:57 AM »
Tell me a-fucking-bout it.

I try to support digital sales wherever I can AND where it is not actively more a pain-in-the-ass than pirating. I don't want to pirate, I want to support creators and help the industry thrive. I want to prove that it can be easier to sell stuff than pirate it, and I throw money at that model pretty consistently.

HOWEVER, fucking Hasbro / WotC consistently make stuff difficult. The DnD app that has books on it for download? They are available for purchase at the same price as the hardcover books, so they get to sell you the digital edition separately from the physical edition, so you're dropping $100 instead of $50 for each book. On top of that, the books are REGION-LOCKED by physical location, so it wouldn't even let me buy them because I'm standing in Japan. I downloaded some of the samples while in the USA, and then couldn't restore those when I came back to Japan and tried to put them on a different device with the same account.

Yeah, pretty much fuck WotC for making it difficult to purchase stuff honestly.

thisismyusername

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
Honestly, I don't get why DnD is so popular. Well, I mean, I do... (Forgotten Realms being pushed mostly/Planescape, etc.) It's just I don't get why the SYSTEM and Wizards is pushed so hard in the TTRPG when there's systems like GURPS (which is just as crunchy as much as you want to be a nerd about that sort of shit), Genesys (which is newer and less crunchy, but "EW PROPRIETARY/WEIRD DICE!") or others that are focused on other systems (Cyberpunk) out there to do work.

But I have seen on /tg/ and other places "can D20 work for <insert non-fantasy genre here that totally doesn't fit the dungeon-crawling murder-hobo'ing of DnD>?" and it's like "why not use another system?" "Because DnD/D20 is popular" "...But you'd be able to get the books/etc. a lot easier digitally, be able to push them to your players easier, have an easier to use system for non-fantasy genres (or time-warping/planeswalking), etc. etc. reasons" and people are like "but DnD is popular!"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
Yeah, D&D is popular mainly due to its cultural relevance from being the first and original TTRPG, plenty of nostalgic Gen X and Gen Y grognards lapping it up still, and thanks lately to Stranger Things and its ilk.

My first RPG was D&D Basic in a box set, but I had no-one to play with. Later AD&D 2nd Ed. was the first one I got to play -- wait, no: black book Traveller was my first, then AD&D.

I'd be lying if I said playing D&D doesn't scratch some of the same itch as listening to music from high school, etc.

thisismyusername

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
Right, but d20 (DnD) is so... rigid in it's systems that folks are trying to retrofit sci-fi adventures into it's strict system. Like, a starship captain is gonna have high CON or STR and CHA to do shit which is pretty strict when they need to know how to lead, how to repair a ship/"drive" it, and the like.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
Oh, strapping a different genre onto D&D just so the DM doesn't have to learn new rules to run a different flavored game is such lazy bullshit. D&D only does one thing right: be itself.

TSR made a James Bond game back in the day, based on d20 ruleset -- it didn't work.

And GURPS doesn't do D&D well at all! It's a simulation-driven game, and player-characters are always in peril of being one-shotted. There's very little room to get cocky. Meanwhile in D&D, you've got characters who will just walk off a 200 ft tower's top, because the fall won't kill them.

Anyway, yeah: don't play with lazy GMs who won't grow past the most basic system out there.

thisismyusername

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »
Just so you know (sadly they're timing these now) the free campaigns on DriveThruRPG/DM's Guild are still being given away. I dunno if you got them Chrono, but I've been checking weekly to grab these.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 05:33:42 AM »
Just so you know (sadly they're timing these now) the free campaigns on DriveThruRPG/DM's Guild are still being given away. I dunno if you got them Chrono, but I've been checking weekly to grab these.

Weird how they're trying to drive day-to-day traffic with these.

I noticed TOR Books also doing this with their free SF book downloads. They had the first four books available for free across consecutive days. The trouble is, if someone misses the first book or two, they're not going to start with the third and fourth book. Why not keep them all free, but make them free in sequence, keeping all of them free until the promotion ends? ???