Author Topic: Gears  (Read 9006 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: Gears
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
I got into that sweet 1% for Escape on the weekly hive,1:15 for a time. Using my strays on the next difficulty up, and if COG tags spawn, I could easily crack the top 100 or get to number 1 in the world.

Installed it on game pass, will give the campaign a shot. I noped out after Gears 3 which I remember not liking much anymore by that point but 1/2 were great.

Had a quick go on the campaign and it has a sort of Tony Hawk HD ‘it sort of feels the same but off’ thing about it.

:'(

I did the same but got bored after the tutorial and the first chapter was up  :larry

what a snoozefest

So you play 15 minutes of Gears 5, but then post a 24 minute video of some annoying, gnarled toothed British fuck nitpicking a digital foundry video.

All this Lil boy dick energy when I'm going for world records and shit. :lol

Edit:admittedly, I skimmed the video. Digital foundry aregnarled toothed fucks themselves, so I dunno. Maybe time to take another break from here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:30:35 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
youtu. be/lkxdlS-c6eg

be wary of this fuckers mic quality but he's right tho
Didn't watch the entire thing, but "And I'm not bashing Gears 5. Gears 5 is great. I give it a 7 out of 10, go by that shit tomorrow nicca, I don't give a fuck."

...was fucking perfect. Like from a Dunkey video. :lol

Having watched a little more, all I have to say is: this is what "optimization" is.  :idont
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:45:33 PM by Rufus »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
That video is great. The dude should torch more Digital Foundry videos.

"nicca, thats one fucking frame. Get outta here with that bullshit"
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
I still don't understand Escape, the game doesn't do a good job with that.

I'm glad there's a "Bootcamp" for generic controls but there needs to be a "Bootcamp" for their new flagship mode.
fat

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
mormapope: I don’t have the time or energy to tell these dopes off with you but I am right next to you in spirit 
:respect
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:47:08 PM by EightBitNate »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
Ya man it's the whole world against you. lmao
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:32 AM »
Idk I played through the tutorial and the game looks and plays great. Don't care for the drama. These games have always been silly story-wise. Just shoot some bad-guys and have fun idk

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »
Cool, you played 5 days after Early Access and all the issues are only now beginning to smooth out
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2019, 02:38:29 AM »
Uhhh should I catch up and play Gears 4 first

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2019, 03:00:20 AM »
No, the game literally starts with a "previously on gears" video, and has a recap of gears 1-3 (but not judgment. Because judgment is trash)
fat

EightBitNate

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »
Ya man it's the whole world against you. lmao

Gears fans are the worlds most oppressed group.

Nuitangg

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
PC stuttering is gone with the latest Nvidia drivers but everyone looks like they're drinking milk and talking.  Kait also looks like she is in blackface.  :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »
I mean Kait has always been the ambiguously brown girl character that western developers love.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2019, 05:45:18 PM »
debating PC or XBX.  :hmm

Nuitangg

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2019, 07:58:21 PM »
Ya'll want some of that roadmap

🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 01:28:38 AM »
Not really getting the praise about this game. The story and characters are still awful. Except now the characters are just lame and millennial as fuck. I don't give a shit about any of this game's supposed pathos. Randomly dropping some big revelation tied to an event the characters briefly talked about last game is stupid.

And the gameplay is...kind of shitty. All the new enemies suck and all seem to run counter to to this being a cover shooter. The warden, the swarm, the infected robots and so on are constantly charging you making cover pointless. I feel like I've hardly had cover shooting in this cover based shooter. Also that Swarm enemy dosen't have any real feed back  when shooting it. The Gears games had master the feeling of you shooting enemies. Here I feel like I'm just hitting air sometimes. Also new Jack is annoying.

It looks great though.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:47:39 AM by Rahxephon91 »

EightBitNate

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2019, 01:19:20 AM »
If anyone is down for Horde, gamer tag is AdhiMan. Can trust these randos not to leave.

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
My friend said to not play the PC version until it's patched because of something. Is it a big deal for SP? I haven't started it yet but people really praising the campaign lately.

EightBitNate

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2019, 09:07:35 PM »
My friend said to not play the PC version until it's patched because of something. Is it a big deal for SP? I haven't started it yet but people really praising the campaign lately.

There was an update and an Nvidia patch that was supposed to help. I haven’t played it since installing those 2 but there some hiccups, though nothing drastic.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »
Yeah give Jack the exploding barrel that we have to protect and have his AI think it's good to rush into enemies.

El Babua

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2019, 06:07:00 AM »
Played a bit of the first level on PC.

Game looks amazing (I'm glad we're getting one of those first party technical showcases on PC) and it feels enough like Gears. Which is a double edged sword considering that it's a 7th gen cover based shooter, a genre I'm not into that much anymore

Control got me feeling too restricted in this tbh

Nuitangg

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
I had more fun playing Crackdown 3. 

kingv

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
I played the first level or two.

It’s fine, I guess. It’s very gears. Just almost feels like a a game from 2005 with better graphics

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
Same problem for me. nothing breaks in this game  :-\

I want to get back to it and try again though and see some of the more open world gameplay that's supposed to be in there.
🤴

EightBitNate

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Same problem for me. nothing breaks in this game  :-\

I want to get back to it and try again though and see some of the more open world gameplay that's supposed to be in there.

Remedy has always been good about reactivity. It’s one of the first things I notice in a game.

kingv

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2019, 08:55:20 PM »
That on dudes video really highlighted how static the world is. Though the graphical quality is high and the  frame rate is pretty smooth.

I did notice upon playing the game that like 80% of that is dudes footage is from the first leve.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »
I'm really enjoying this, but its been a long time since I've payed a AAA hollywood new release game so yeah. The cinematics are cheesy and fun and it looks and plays well. I'm a massive TPS stan tho

Rahxephon91

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »
Yeah I also don’t understand why this game received the praise it did.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »

Have you made an attempt at understanding? Genuine question. There aren't many third person shooters out there anymore.

Whenever platformers or Souls clones come out, I don't understand the appeal either, but I've accepted those games aren't for me.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
I mean what am I supposed to try and understand? I've played every single other Gears game except I guess mobile spin offs. I play and love 3rd person shooters and agree it sucks that we don't have enough of them.

But that fact doesn't mean I have to like Gears 5.

I did'nt like Gears 4 because the gameplay felt tired and the new story/characters felt so manufactured. That really did'nt change for Gears 5 for me.

Gears to me is best when your going through gritty warzones and have to take solace in cover and have tension from trying to pop those shots off while putting your neck out there. The gameplay feels great because it feels like your shooting weighty guns at meaty meatbags while playing as a weighty and meaty line backer.

Gears 4 thought it was a good idea to spend a good portion of the game fighting robots that left no feedback with guns that felt like nothing.

Gears 5 at least doesn't have that. Instead it has some of the most annoying enemies that instead seem to forget this is a cover based game. Like every enemy the Coliiation has introduced into the series just sucks. Every encounter I'm just wishing for just a simply fight just the Locust section.

The Warden sucks. Maybe it works in co-op where it just doesn't aggro to the player character, but by myself it's just always after me and it's just annoying constantly walking backwards and awkwardly jumping around  just to shoot this dudes head.

The Snatcher sucked in 4 and it sucks here. I feel like most of the encounter I'm just awkwardly knocked down waiting for the stupid ai to react and so many times it's one hit kill move just came out of nowhere.

The Flock is just a tedious enemy. Shoot until something happens. Shoot this weightless enemy with no feedback.

The Pouncer is like thier only new enemy that understands how Gears cover gameplay should work.

That final boss encounter was awful. Oh boy heres a bunch of tongues that you spend most of the time just waiting till they grab the stupid AI to shoot. Or just go off to the side where it seems they can't reach.

Other then that the story was pretty whatever. Kait is boring. Made the protag because women protags are topical and gain cool points and the rest of the new characters suck. JD's arch is just weird anyway. Something bad happen and he's gone for a good portion and comes back and is just like "I CHANGED". ok?

The choice the game asked you was so contrived. The main villain just appears for no reason and makes the most forced and telegraphed "MAKE YOUR CHOICE PLAYER MOMENT" ever.

The open environment section was just "eh games are doing this now so I guess we will".

The game looked pretty, ran well, and technically the shooting was solid. But nowhere did I think this was some GOTY material game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »

Have you made an attempt at understanding? Genuine question. There aren't many third person shooters out there anymore.

Whenever platformers or Souls clones come out, I don't understand the appeal either, but I've accepted those games aren't for me.
C O N T R O L  :aah

Resident Evil 2  :lawd

We had a great year for third person shooters.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »
Yeah, but there is something to the lack of AAA TPS.

I mean all I could think of is:

The Two Uncharted games.
Control
Quantum Break
Resident Evil 2

Which I liked a lot, but yeah it's genre that's overlooked now. There's open world games if you count and something like Ghost Recon, but the sequel decided to add rpg shit. I want a good "headshots count" game.

Nuitangg

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
I stopped playing into Chapter 3.  What a boring fucking game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
Anyone still playing Gears ?

Twitch

Gears 5
271 viewers

:crowdlaff :girlaff

🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2019, 03:58:57 AM »
I finished it on monday. Felt better to play than 4. The Coalition tonally just doesn't seem to get Gears. I like how it makes Dominic's emotional scenes in 2 and 3 look better in retrospect.

If Gears 4 was a 6/10 this'd maybe be like a 7/10. I wonder if the open world was something they had in mind from the start or if they just made random maps and then had to figure out a way to fit them together.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »
Got up to act II chapter 5. This is game is pretty boring, huh. Its not a bad game, just short of any innovation whatsoever. Its the same 2006 gameplay reheated. I second what someone said above that the "flock" enemy is lame AF. Just a not-scary bullet sponge that zips around. No satisfaction from killing it. At least blowing heads off baddies is still good.

The multi was zzz, gave it a go and knicked out some objectives but its pretty repetitive and I was getting schooled by better players. Horde mode is where its at tough, had a round of that and it was very enjoyable. Will probably keep this installed for awhile for Horde purposes

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
So I've been putting a bit of time into this, all of the multi tickers, XP gauges and shit are good at making you come back.

Been playing various modes -
Campaign: the graphics are great but goddamn is the game broken. I'm playing on 'experienced' and I've had so many cheap as fuck deaths from bullshit hit-bot bosses and gibs from some rocket splash damage. This is the most infuriating gears campaign I've played and Ive beaten 1&2 on Insane. I cant imagine how controller-gnawingly bad this game would be on Insane.

Escape: now this is cool. Great idea and has kinda a survival bent due to ammo being so scarce. Into it.

Horde: yeah its good

Versus: pretty bad, but maybe its because I suck? Who knows

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »
I finally beat Gears - on Insane.

The "open world" bits have potential but clearly sequel-bait when it's fleshed out more. Otherwise they were pretty useless.

I also got hit with a game-breaking bug that is apparently pretty well documented at this point

Unfortunately there is no "fix" and your only option is to load up the chapter where all your progression is reset (or at least looks reset?) and you have to replay an entire section you already did which got you into this mess in the first place (tldr: don't do the cosmonaut facility first, don't even touch that bitch until required to by story). Not sure how this isn't even fixed lmao

The inclusion of Jack's abilities are a good addition and are extremely helpful when you get the upgrades going.

It all comes to a head in the final act

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yup, you are given a choice to kill the token black character, or the bitch ass white boy who has a change of heart randomly (spoiler: i killed the white boy)

Neither choice really makes sense and it feels like this was added last minute. Once you make the choice, the other dies and... everyone just kind of ignores it and you're immediately thrust into more shit and fight the final boss (with another random death thrown in for good measure) and you get your cliffhanger cutscene and wait for Gears 6 I guess
[close]

All in all, I feel bad for those who paid full price for this and god bless gamepass
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2020, 01:16:26 AM »
Got up to act II chapter 5. This is game is pretty boring, huh. Its not a bad game, just short of any innovation whatsoever. Its the same 2006 gameplay reheated. I second what someone said above that the "flock" enemy is lame AF. Just a not-scary bullet sponge that zips around. No satisfaction from killing it. At least blowing heads off baddies is still good.

The multi was zzz, gave it a go and knicked out some objectives but its pretty repetitive and I was getting schooled by better players. Horde mode is where its at tough, had a round of that and it was very enjoyable. Will probably keep this installed for awhile for Horde purposes

I just got to the ice planet after the intro levels, does the game get any better? It was fun for a few chapters, but started to fall asleep at the end before the timeskip. The graphics are awesome and shooting feels good, but the level design just seems boring af. Just same old waves -> waves -> talky bit -> waves -> waves -> talky bit and a little walking. I just don't feel compelled to keep playing at this point unless it changes things up once the open world stuff is introduced.

For a second I thought I was just bored/over TPS cover shooters, but I'm still enjoying Binary Domain a lot while this is putting me to sleep.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2020, 12:55:23 AM »
I got up the desert level (act 3?) and nah the game doesn't change or get better, it's the same shit over and over. I gave up due to being continuously fragged by cheesy bazooka enemies with splash damage. The game is infuriating with its cheap deaths.