Author Topic: Gears  (Read 9020 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Gears
« on: September 01, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
I know the popularity for these games is dwindling but I’m a huge fan of the series.

Anyone as hyped for Gears 5 as I am? Also down to play co-op with someone.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Gears
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
I might sub to game pass for a month just to play the campaign
fat

EightBitNate

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 04:54:11 PM »
Yeah there’s no reason not to give it a try if you have game pass. This is like the first true high quality AAA to launch on the service (save for FH4)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
Interest in Microsoft first party games is below 0 for me at this point.

This week it hit me that the last Microsoft Studios games I was excited about (outside of the Forza Horizons) was Quantum Break 3 years ago.  :doge
Rare Replay was cool but over 75% of that had nothing to do with Microsoft.

Played HALO 5 on GamePass, it was serviceable.
Played Gears 4 on GamePass it was eh.

Gears 5 is hopefully a 'meh'.

Kinda weird though because the Xbox One X is easily one of my favorite consoles of all time.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
Gears 4 felt sort of low budget... like video game production values increased over time but they just decided to stay stuck in 2006. It feels sort of anachronistic in that way.

I hope 5 is an all around improvement.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
I thought Gears 4 was pretty bad. Or rather simply meh. New characters sucked, gameplay felt tired, story was whatever, and a lot of the game was fighting robots with shitty guns.

I haven’t seen much of Gears 5 that has done anything for me. Making Kait the main character seems lame and more of a topical choice then any creative choice. And just like with 343, nothing the Coalition has said inspires confidence in their ability to really energize this series.

But I’ve played all of them. So I’ll play this one.

EightBitNate

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »
I only ever really disliked Gears 1, it's funny when the remake/remaster came out a bit ago all my complaints from 2006 were suddenly in every review of the game "not aging well" :lol

But I did enjoy the rest but as popcorn games, just nice disposable entertainment the same way Uncharted is (another series where I hate the first game but prefer overall). Gears 4 was fine but forgettable, the new cast sucked outside of the chick so at least they made the right call making her the protag this time. That said I can't say any of this game's marketing inspire's any confidence. What little I saw was "been there, done that" which is how I feel about Halo/Gears and most Sony IP's at this point. But I have gamepass so I'll probably end up playing it cause I'm broke :lol

Isn't it supposed to be up early if you have gamepass? I know it's official release date is the 15th but how early we talking?

Yup new one is up September 4th or 5th with Gamepass ultimate I think

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 11:32:44 PM »
Only reason I'm interested is because it's one of the first MS exclusives on Steam.

Otherwise they should just port Gears 1 off GfWL and onto Steam and be done with it.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »
I played the first 2 and couldn't get over the clunky controls and uggo art style.
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »
I’ll give a go because it’s on game pass, have they changed it up in any way cuz 4 was dull as shit and dated as fuck.
(ice)

kingv

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
Kind of felt the same about 4. I’m sure I’ll play through the campaign just to waste a few hours, but the gameplay here really needs to be overhauled.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
Gears 5 is going to be a big dicked return. Most previews have been incredibly positive. Playing the multiplayer tech test on Xbone X, it looked and played phenomenonally. Best looking game visully this gen. Also, campaign is semi open world (think Metro Exodus). I've been a Gears bitch since 06, have very fond memories of Gears 1&3 multiplayer. Love all the campaigns except 4.

I've always felt The Bore collectively does not like multiplayer games, especially any shooters. This isnt shit talk or criticism, just what Ive noticed. Im not saying this applies to everyone here either. Gears of War has always been a franchise where you get most value by playing everything (campaign, horde, multiplayer). Gears of War 1 was a hit because of multiplayer and co-op, even though multiplayer wasnt the main focus.

Guess my point is, Im hyped as fuck, because Geaars 5 being a banger, and CoD Modern Warfare most likely being a banger, Ill be in multiplayer nirvana which hasnt been the case for many years. Unlike most Boreans too I guess, I loved the 360/PS3 gen a fuckton. A lot of that has to do with multiplayer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:15:07 PM by mormapope »
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
I prefer a co-operative experience over a competitive experience, yes
fat

EightBitNate

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
I’ll give a go because it’s on game pass, have they changed it up in any way cuz 4 was dull as shit and dated as fuck.

Looks like there’s RPG elements and less linear levels, which is a nice change imo. The first hour of gameplay leaked and it looked 10x more interesting than anything in 4.

I do find it funny that the entire industry and audience collectively went "third person cover shooters are played out" thus leaving Gears between a rock and a hard place. At least with Halo there's a lot more flexibility in what you can do, and I'm not sure what Gears can do if it needs to have the same cover based shooting, and assume it's sacrilegious to even make a Gears game without cover.

Gears is *the* cover shooter though. Maybe too many games tried to emulate it but Gears is imo peak TPS gameplay and still holds up today.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
Yeah I've never been too into competitive shooters. I love Battlefield and spent many hours on Halo 2  back in the day. But really just the objective game modes. Never team slayer or whatever. And I like both basicly for the feeling of war games that they have. Big open maps and lots people moving about doing stuff, working as a team, and so on. Small maps and player counts have never been my thing.

So Gear's multi is never anything I've really been into.

I don't know, I think maybe upping the survival horror and survival aspects could reinvent the series. The cover system has always had a gritty feeling of tension. Take it or die and split second and quickly take that risk to shoot at enemies out of cover. Bigger open environments requiring you to explore and scavage weapons, health, and ammo could prove intersting. Having the environment be more destructive and more then training for the mutliplayer as well.I don't know, I think there are things you could do with this series. But my problem with this and Halo is I don't think there's a real interests in really rethinking these games. I've seen Halo fans. They dislike changes.

kingv

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
I never liked competitive gears.

It always feels like you are manipulating the game mechanics and the “right” way to play competitive gears is to play as the antithesis of what the single player game is designed to do.

It’s like “don’t go into cover, instead of roll around and shotgun people”

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 11:01:29 AM »
Bought a 1 month code on Amazon ($15), should be enough to bang out Gears (and maybe try out a couple other games while I'm at it)

Link for anyone interested in giving me kickbacks

https://amzn.to/2ZLDrSv
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »

It always feels like you are manipulating the game mechanics and the “right” way to play competitive gears is to play as the antithesis of what the single player game is designed to do.

I like the wallbouncing which is literally just glitching the game to make it fun. Why not play a well designed online shooter?

mormapope

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »

I like the wallbouncing which is literally just glitching the game to make it fun. Why not play a well designed online shooter?

Its totally a gitch that's remained in a franchise for 13 years. Gears multiplayer is horribly designed and wallbouncing is what keeps the community going ::)

Might as well rename this thread "I've heard of Gears, can I shit on it pls?"

Making 80 iq reset bois look like mensa masters itt. There's a arcade multiplayer mode/variant in Gears 5 where gnashers aren't even starting weapons.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:43:41 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 07:14:39 PM »
The problem with Gears is that it got stuck in the Microsoft Studios 'hey we can actually develop this' routine for too long.

So you had Gears 1 which was great and Gears 2 which build on that. After which there should've been a hiatus and then a big Gears 3 for next-gen launch.
Kinda how HALO went (Halo 1 > Halo 2 (Xbox) > Halo 3 (360)).

But instead, Microsoft opted for Gears 3 and Gears Judgment on the 360. Which burned the series out.
Then they started next-gen with a lukewarm sequel in the form of Gears 4.

So now that Gears 5 is coming out they already shot their 'next gen' load on this franchise.
The only thing they can do at this point is bring in new players who haven't played all the previous games and thus will experience something 'new'.
And they clearly are doing this by changing up the protagonist, setting etc. but is Microsoft Studios going to produce something that exceeds an 8/10 and a 6 hour campaign?
Doubtful
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »
Mormamope, you make me sad with how easily you fall for obvious bait. :'(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 08:06:20 AM »
I do find it funny that the entire industry and audience collectively went "third person cover shooters are played out" thus leaving Gears between a rock and a hard place.

The more cinematic games with cover shooting, like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, kept on going strong, though. 

Interest in Gears seemed to die out after Epic stopped making the games.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:18:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »
ど助平

EightBitNate

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
86 Metacritic

Nice
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:07:38 PM by EightBitNate »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
wait speech to text? oh boy. now i gotta see how that works
fat

EightBitNate

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
Gonna pick a DeeBee and do text to speech to trash talk

Rahxephon91

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
Looks pretty amazing on One X.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:39 AM »
Would love to say how cool the campaign is but the servers are dogshit, apparently coalition didnt expect people to play their game.
fat

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 05:19:51 AM »
going to pick this up on PC should be fun :)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
Would love to say how cool the campaign is but the servers are dogshit, apparently coalition didnt expect people to play their game.
Imagine if Microsoft Studios was just a subsidized tax evasion scheme  8)
🤴

kingv

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »
How can the servers be this bad before the game is even officially out?

Nuitangg

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
Server issues last night combined with the stuttering on pc.  :maf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Welp, this game turned out exactly as I expected.

It starts with an unskippable bootcamp in the year of our lord 2019.  :doge

"This is how you look, this is how you walk, this is how you shoot" you shoot a bunch of robots but luckily unlike Gears 4 half the game isn't shooting dumb robots.

The first mission looks great but nothing interesting ever happens. You clear a few rooms, fight a few bad guys, stuff collapses, clear the next rooms, end.
There's a tear jerking moment where Del tries to sacrifice his life to save a fucking robot. The audio mixing is weird. Music is muted and sound effects are super loud.

The title screen pops up and it sends you to go do some socializing in this very restricted area. Guess the COGS always throw a bunch of boxes in front of all their doors.
Baird gives you the latest in robot helper tech and some douche with sunglasses wants to spar with you. The chick makes a 'measuring dicks' joke.

The chick is constantly suffering from headaches while the first two missions are going on. How original  :awesome
What's next made me laugh out loud. Marcus Fenix meets with the First Minister and has this tense scene about fertility and pregnancies of his dead wife and the minister. LMAO  :lol
This series has jumped the shark as much as the Star Wars prequels.

By mission 3, (the 3 conversations and picking up the bot actually counts as a 'mission') I'm already bored. The urban environment looks nice but even at 'Experienced' (the second to last highest difficulty) none of the fights ever get interesting.
Some lady truck driver takes the spotlight in this level, when it has the fucking Cole Train. Who's not really acting like the daring motherfucker he was. Gears 5 at this point feels like a map pack for Gears 4.

This series evolved in all the wrong ways. The sitcom 'drama' does nothing and a world filled with dumb robots just isn't interesting.
They ruin the fights too. In the original Gears, when some 'impossible' challenge popped up they would give you the Hammer of Dawn. You would have to try and aim and get it to lock on.
Only after a couple of hits would the bosses go down. In this game, you get a 'reinforcement' of robots and with the D-Pad you select if you want robot type A or B.
In most fights the enemy doesn't have a chance because you have a team of 4 with admittedly good AI, in most cases a bunch of soldiers or robots helping.

A safe sequel and with these assets and production values a colossal waste of development resources.  :yeshrug
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
You can skip the bootcamp.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »
Big name/budget franchise sequel plays it's safe and I find that surprising somehow
:teehee
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Big name/budget franchise sequel plays it's safe and I find that surprising somehow
:teehee
Many games play it safe but even with the COD's they try to do something/anything to make it more interesting than watching paint dry.
I can't point at anything so far in Gears 5 that impressed or surprised me other than how it looks.

It's a functional video game but it has nothing going for it. The characters aren't particularly interesting, the level design is very basic, the guns are recycled old hat.
In the original Gears you felt like you were part of this big event (emergence day) and the stakes were high. It also felt very gruesome. It was pretty much set-up as a survival horror game in parts.

Fighting for prefab robo-land with bulky dudes and girls just pales in comparison.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
Its been two days and I havent got to ply beyond the first chapter due to server issues
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2019, 05:10:45 PM »
I'm seeing people complain on Twitter that this game is open world  ???

Guess I should give it another go to see if anything changes after the first few missions.
Also glitches being reported which prevent progress because Gears doesn't handle open world very well.
🤴

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »
Just did 50 waves of horde and I got no experience or skill cards or anything :rage

If I was The Coalition I’d be damn ashamed launching a game in a state like this.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
It seems that with each update they break something new.

I get HALO MCC vibes from this  :lol
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »

Welp, guess this is why it doesn't feel like classic gears.
Seeing the difference like this is crazy.
🤴

mormapope

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 02:57:26 AM »
Just wanna pop in this thread and say fuck all of you for shitposting this thread to oblivion. Great game, best Gears in the franchise. (It's not really all of you, but Nintex has taken a big enough shit to make the thread unsalvageable)   :'(

Anyways, back to playing.  8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:24:03 AM by mormapope »
OH!

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 04:50:00 AM »
That Gears 5 vs 2 basically just shows that they took out screen shake and the blood effects. If they just add back in the screen shake that should probably deal with the weight issues. I thought the Xbox One controllers also had the feedback triggers or something. If they didn't do something with that already they could use that to great effect as well.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
Just wanna pop in this thread and say fuck all of you for shitposting this thread to oblivion. Great game, best Gears in the franchise. (It's not really all of you, but Nintex has taken a big enough shit to make the thread unsalvageable)   :'(

Lol, idiot. The game has had terrible server issues since Day -1, there's no shitposting about that.
fat

mormapope

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »

Lol, idiot. The game has had terrible server issues since Day -1, there's no shitposting about that.

Wow, people that either paid 2 dollars or 15 are crying themselves to sleep. The agony of spending almost no money and not being able to play the game  :'(

If you spent 80 dollars for the Ultimate edition, you would be a huge fucking idiot. Do server issues at launch suck? Of course. Should you write off a game entirely because of that? That's your purgative.

I tried to play it yesterday but ran into some issues, and this server news makes me want to hold off on it and maybe play Celeste's free expansion today instead.

It's getting a lil less funky, but your plan sounds good. By the time you come back to it, server issues should be ironed out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:00:43 AM by mormapope »
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
That or they could have siphoned some of that marketing money for Dave Bautista to more servers
fat

Nuitangg

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
Imagine if Halo has these issues next year.  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
In a corporation like Microsoft it probably takes 10 change requests and a sign off from 6 departments to increase their server capacity by 5%.

There's probably some policy in place that limits server capacity at launch because every one of their releases in the Xbox One era had this server capacity problem at launch.

Imagine if Halo has these issues next year.  :lol
I'd be more surprised if it doesn't.

Halo is a next-gen launch game on new hardware with a new online service and a tight deadline that rebooted development about a month ago.

It's going to be one hell of a mess.  :lol
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »
now now leave poor Nintex be breh
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
Played one match and nope, Gears MP is still terrible. Good thing the campaign wor- wait
fat

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Had a quick go on the campaign and it has a sort of Tony Hawk HD ‘it sort of feels the same but off’ thing about it.
(ice)

mormapope

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
Had a quick go on the campaign and it has a sort of Tony Hawk HD ‘it sort of feels the same but off’ thing about it.

Comparing a third person shooter to a extreme sports game is like comparing how your mom fucks me versus how your dad does. Your mom's pussy is still so tight! But your dad's mouth game is wild.

Not really comparable imo.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »

Comparing a third person shooter to a extreme sports game is like comparing how your mom fucks me versus how your dad does. Your mom's pussy is still so tight! But your dad's mouth game is wild.

Not really comparable imo.
I think he means that like Tony Hawk HD didn't feel like a genuine Tony Hawk game, Gears 5 doesn't feel like genuine Gears of War.

You can say a lot about Cliffy B but the man knew how to make exciting video games.
With Gears 4 they fucked it up, with Gears 5 they 'fixed' that (more or less) but that doesn't make it anymore Gears than Gears 4.

I'm just put off by the dumb fisher price robots. Gears always had a doomsday apocalypse 'these fuckers will murder you and end the planet' aesthetic.
That sorta flies out of the window when there's talking police robots to assist you and discussions about the fertility of Marcus Fenix' dead wife.

In the Gears trilogy humanity was hanging by a thread. In this game, we have a bulky dude with a labcoat who can single handily make prefab robot cities for people to live in.
🤴

mormapope

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
Before Gears 5: Gears loyalists didn't exist.

One hour after Gears 5 releases: "man, I fucking miss when games had soul. Gears of War was this blue and gray, really gritty game that was fucking epic. Fuck SJWs, bring back Cliffy"

Where the fuck were these Gears of War 2 superfans? Under Cliffy's balls?
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »
Installed it on game pass, will give the campaign a shot. I noped out after Gears 3 which I remember not liking much anymore by that point but 1/2 were great.

:'(

Rahxephon91

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »
I mean I'm no Gear's "loyalists" and also thought the previous games were pretty stupid. I don't have any strong feelings about the 5 yet, other then the characters are still stupid and annoying to listen to.

But I mean I've been saying the same shit about Gears as I have about Halo. These series went on past the point and feel pretty tired now. Gears 4 was just really lame to me. Fighting robots for half of the game was pretty boring. They had shitty ass weapons and the game was missing the weight and grittiness of the previous games. The Gear's characters were stupid machismo, but that fit with the look and feel of the game. The new character's felt very market tested and sounded like hack writers trying to be witty because Avengers was popular.

They still sound overly witty and obnoxious. Except now Kait is the main character and she sucks too, probably because yeah some SJW agenda shit. I don't care about any of the shit these people talk about in the game. The series attempt at pathos is really lame.

Still 5 plays good and looks good. Which is all you can really ask for.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:22:19 PM by Rahxephon91 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Installed it on game pass, will give the campaign a shot. I noped out after Gears 3 which I remember not liking much anymore by that point but 1/2 were great.

:'(

I did the same but got bored after the tutorial and the first chapter was up  :larry

what a snoozefest
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 01:11:30 PM »

be wary of this fuckers mic quality but he's right tho
What