Author Topic: Let's play the Zelda series!  (Read 14670 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Let's play the Zelda series!
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
Yeah I thought “maybe when you chill with the Gorons in OoT?” myself but dunno

Tuckers Law

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2019, 02:30:33 PM »

Mark Brown is saying it calls back to the Gerudo theme from Ocarina, but I’m not really hearing it and think Mark Brown is being a liar here.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »
I'd like to write about my Link's Awakening (Switch) experience. This thread might be a good spot?

First timer playing any iteration of this game. First time playing any pre-3D Zelda (this game is 3D, yes. But you know what I mean. The OG was a 2D game) I'm about to make my way through the second dungeon. Funny that there is some slowdown in the game now and then (usually when going outside from some indoors area). I know this remaster is based on a Game Boy game, but it's funny how much it actually feels like it despite the huge facelift the game got. Getting acclimated to this style of a Zelda game has been easy so far. I don't see this as a downgrade from the modern 1 to 1 scale Zelda's. A different style, that's all.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2019, 11:05:44 PM »
Like I love Link's Awakening and was going to pick up a copy this weekend, but that Nintendo tax :kobeyuck

It's a great game. But it's a great 10 hour game. I'll end up buying it, because of course I will. But still I'm not happy about it.

Right now about to go into Jabu Jabu in OoT. I know OoT is a lot of player's first zelda, but really I don't find it as compelling as the other entries in the series. And there's a lot of back and forth with very little variety. And the art style is pretty bad. Majora's mask aged a lot better, yes there was a lot of back tracking around similar places but the mechanic of it all really worked.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2019, 11:29:32 PM »
I'd like to write about my Link's Awakening (Switch) experience. This thread might be a good spot?

First timer playing any iteration of this game. First time playing any pre-3D Zelda (this game is 3D, yes. But you know what I mean. The OG was a 2D game)

:o

You gotta go try A Link To The Past when you finish this!
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2019, 01:21:05 AM »
Right now about to go into Jabu Jabu in OoT. I know OoT is a lot of player's first zelda, but really I don't find it as compelling as the other entries in the series. And there's a lot of back and forth with very little variety. And the art style is pretty bad. Majora's mask aged a lot better, yes there was a lot of back tracking around similar places but the mechanic of it all really worked.

Disagree entirely on OoT and MM. In my opinion, OoT's only flaw is that it has backtracking and IMO the Zelda LTTP formula works better in 3d than 2d. The dungeons and puzzles are pretty predictable in LTTP once you know what to do. Whereas the dungeons and exploration are far more rewarding in OoT. Dungeons like Shadow Temple, Forest Temple, and Fire Temple really aren't possible in 2D. In 2D Zelda it's obvious where you need to shoot an arrow. In 3D Zelda - particularly OoT - you need to scout around to solve puzzles and actually interact with the world to find solutions. The exploration and puzzle solving is more involved and interesting to me. You know how in 3D platforming it's more of a case of "how do I get there?" rather well timed jumps? It's more exploratory than being reflex based. I think OoT solidifies that more than any 3D Zelda. The exploration is just far superior to any Zelda before it until BOTW for me. Also, OoT doesn't reach its full potential until adult Link so :yeshrug Child Link doesn't even have Epona. Child Link is the worst section of the game.

As for MM, it's less interesting on replays. And then you have to do things like stand around 5 minutes in real life waiting for a clock to strike a certain minute. It's far more tedious, even in the 3ds remake. The only thing I'll give it over OoT is story (possibly) and art direction.

I think OoT is the best Zelda. With BOTW being a close second. Might beat OoT in the end though.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
I think OoT is the best Zelda. With BOTW being a close second. Might beat OoT in the end though.
You need to hurry up (but take your time  :) ) and finish BOTW, because I'm curious what you'll think of the the finale area, boss, ending, etc...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
Started OOT 3DS remake and im in jabu jabu right now..man this game is gorgeous

Its  hard to remember but playing through the n64 original at the time and this game is still just as fucking good.

Also crossed over 120 hours in BOTW? Still havent gone too the castle though  :lol wanna discover more!
What

Himu

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
I’m in the castle now.l getting 1337 loots
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I recently started up BOTW to finally get around to playing the DLC, and I gotta say: goddamn, I just did not really appreciate how much care and design went into Hyrule Castle.  When I first played it, I’d already been playing for 160 hours and was ready to finish the game, so I didn’t really soak in and explore all the bits of that area.  This time though: :whew, especially listening to the full music suite that’s playing as you explore  :lawd.

My hope is that they use the Hyrule Castle section as a design touchstone for whatever new “dungeons” they build in the sequel.  Hopefully several of them.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
fuck man jabu jabu is still a shitty dungeon just as it was back in the day :(
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
skyward sword has the best dungeons  :-[

Tuckers Law

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »

It could always be worse: you could be playing Skykeep Dungeon from Skyward Sword.

Svejk

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
The water temple still chaps my ass to this day.

skyward sword has the best dungeons  :-[
If only BOTW had SS caliber dungeons and music...   :dsp 
Fingers crossed for BOTW2.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:47:58 PM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
If only BOTW had SS caliber dungeons and music...   :dsp 
Fingers crossed for BOTW2.

Am assuming it's going to have added dungeons and a playable Zelda (or maybe co-op?).  What else could be added to the BoTW formula? :thinking
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »
As much as people want it, I doubt they'll add co-op, or a playable Zelda for that matter.  Otherwise, consistent, good music, deeper story and dungeon designs, and it would be a bit of alright.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Can you imagine multiple dungeons each like a mini hyrule castle in BOTW2? :mouf
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
For BOTW2 I hope they expand the map with new area's below the surface as they had in the trailer or a dark world of sorts.
🤴

Chooky

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
all i care about in botw2 is seeing what new powers they'll add

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »
I have never played Skyword Sword  :lol
What

Svejk

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »
It could easily be considered one of the best, IF they didn't force waggle controls on you.  Alas, alot of the gameplay elements use the wiimote in various ways.  Some work, but most anything involving the sword, basically sucked.  Otherwise, the game is beautiful in every other way; Absolutely massive in scale, huge, creative dungeons/puzzles (some borderline too big for their own good), interesting story, and some beautiful music.. a few of the tracks being fully orchestrated even.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »
It could easily be considered one of the best, IF they didn't force waggle controls on you. 

:doge
A hub instead of a proper overworld, the game literally telling you the solutions to puzzles, the way too long tutorial...Yeah there were some nice moments but it was a deeply flawed game

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »
the controls were fine, people complain too much  ::)

biggest problem was not enough to do in the sky, too empty. you can fly around where ever you like... to nothing. also game world not being connected sucked. not being able to travel between provinces on foot  :yuck

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
Genuinely agreeing with a filler post :fbm

Once I got the hang of the controls they were fine (which did take awhile), kinda fun even.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
I enjoyed the controls in Skyward Sword except for the bird controls.  Woof
püp

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »
It could easily be considered one of the best, IF they didn't force waggle controls on you. 

:doge
A hub instead of a proper overworld, the game literally telling you the solutions to puzzles, the way too long tutorial...Yeah there were some nice moments but it was a deeply flawed game

Also Fi

How did I forget about Fi

Svejk

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »
Using the nunchuk horrendous analog stick too...  Maybe my wiimote was fucked up, because the sword play felt really off last I played.  Everything else would track fine, but the supposed 1:1 with the sword never felt right.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »
Played through Skyward Sword just once and I enjoyed it.

But the sheer amount of padding (something literally called pad tones) and expecting a HD release for Wii U never made me replay it.
It was a fun game but the Wii wasn't able to do the graphics style they were going for convincingly and it lacked the power to have a seamless overworld.
SS was the game that made Nintendo realize that the way they were doing Zelda wasn't going to work for another decade and they needed to seriously upgrade their tech and rethink a lot of the core concepts.

Development was also messy when at some point after Wii Sports Resort was launched Aonuma felt he had to do something with the Wii Motion Plus to answer to the expectations of the players.
They removed and re-added those functions a bunch of times before landing on the final play style. When it was shown by Miyamoto at E3 the game had all sorts of trouble with the controls that it flat-out broke on him.
In the end though the controls were the least of the problems the game had.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2019, 10:47:03 PM »
lanayru time travel stuff  :lawd

Svejk

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2019, 11:16:54 PM »
The desert puzzle/level was kinda bonkers in how large it was.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:31 AM »
Link's Awakening Switch talk:

5 dungeons down. Gotta appreciate how the game doesn't hold your hand. So far I've had two instances where I was stuck and both of them were rather clumsy. When Richard moved back after I retrieved all of his feathers I tried to talk to him again and was like "hmm... he didn't give me anything. Maybe I should head back to his castle?" After bumping around for a bit I came back to his house and nothing had changed. Looked up a video to see I had to move a statue that was next to him before he moved back to reveal the stairs that lead to the yard  >:( . Then in the 3rd dungeon there is a bit where you notice a chest with a key that is on a slightly higher plain. In the room the owl even says "test the sword on the wall. Some sound hollow and you can explode them." I knew that already, but I didn't see any cracks or anything so I was all "maybe in a different room?" I got nowhere so looked  up a video and saw the huge ass arrow the tiles are making pointing to the wall.  >:( . Yeah fair enough. You can't see the wall defect so I didn't think to use the literal tiles as a clue. Appreciate the little shortcuts that become available to you as you gain abilities. The hookshot was neat to finally get. I almost lost my shit again in the 5th dungeon as I was looking for the nightmare key and forgot that I had to dive into the water to enter the room. I kept going to rooms with stairs, cause you see stairs in on the map with that last chest. But the room with water doesn't have any specific marker and I first passed it long ago, before I even got the hookshot in the dungeon so it slipped my mind until I almost gave up.

Most of the map is uncovered and when looking in my inventory I don't think you need more than 5 keys (for the 5 dungeons) so maybe I'm slowly coming to the end of the game. $60 is steep for this remake I admit. Luckily when you put aside that aspect and only take the game as it is, it's been a fulfilling experience so far.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
Ocarina of time is such a mixed bag when it comes to dungeons. Some rather good ones (the Deku tree is a master class on teaching game mechanics) to the dreaded Water Temple (which is where I am now)
que

Svejk

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
Water temple sucks... Should be smoove sailing after it though.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Lol finding the passage to Animal Village is such 90s BS  :lol

Had to look it up after 2 hours of walking around. Maybe my bad cause I was watching telly too.

Himu

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »
Water temple is fine on 3ds :yeshrug
IYKYK

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »

Had to look it up after 2 hours of walking around. Maybe my bad cause I was watching telly too.

Hmm... was it
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"pick up/chop a shrub to unveil the stairs"?
[close]
Cause I don't recall having any difficulty making my way to the animal village.

Edit: Looking at my last post I thought I had 5 keys already, but the  last dungeon did not require a key so there is still a slot for one more key in my menu.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:14:46 AM by EchoRin »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
They simplified the shit out of it on that version.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »

It's the same but you don't have to go to the menu to equip iron boots iirc.

IDK I played master quest 3ds.

and if it's easier it begs the question why Puppy still doesn't like it.
IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2019, 12:05:22 AM »
biggest problem with the water temple was the part where you had to find a secret room under a rising platform, but i believe later versions added a short cutscene to show you the room. other than that the only annoying thing about it that i remember is menu swapping and raising/lowering the water levels. the hate is for it is over the top. it has the fucking mirror fight ffs!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2019, 01:10:31 AM »

Hmm... was it
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"pick up/chop a shrub to unveil the stairs"?
[close]
Cause I don't recall having any difficulty making my way to the animal village.

Edit: Looking at my last post I thought I had 5 keys already, but the  last dungeon did not require a key so there is still a slot for one more key in my menu.

Yeah, i walked around the map for two hours before giving up and looking it up. So random imho

Also why are people complaining its a full price game? Its a remake of a 26 year old game. Maybe they could have offered it cheaper but you know people will still eat it up. Plus I will sell it when Im done :)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2019, 03:44:41 AM »
I never minded the Ocarina Water Temple, I didn’t even realize it was so widely disliked until a year or two later by which time I was regularly reading the Vault/IGN message boards (lol).  I understand how that dungeon could frustrate someone though, much the same as the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass (another maligned dungeon which I strangely enjoyed).

Tuckers Law

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2019, 04:31:07 AM »
 Trials of the Master Sword tho. :whoo

Nintendo needs to get on making a standalone expansion pack of these, ala MGS: VR Missions.

Svejk

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
Trials of the Master Sword tho. :whoo

Nintendo needs to get on making a standalone expansion pack of these, ala MGS: VR Missions.
I need to finish those still.  Wanted to max out my hearts before trying to complete those.  They did breathe some fresh air into the post game.  If only time would allow...  :-\

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »

It's the same but you don't have to go to the menu to equip iron boots iirc.

IDK I played master quest 3ds.

and if it's easier it begs the question why Puppy still doesn't like it.
I just think the level is uninteresting and boring and I have never, ever been a fan of the "This dungeon has a main room. You're going to be backtracking to it like 20 times." design. Hypocritcially the Ancient Cistern is probably one of my favorite dungeons in the whole series.  Probably because the whole symbolism and aesthetic to it. But there are a few of those in Ocarina.
que

Svejk

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
I use the Deku Tree music from OoT for my alarm in the morning.  So soothing, mello and mystical all at the same time. Them alpha waves.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
Animal Village  :tocry

Marin  :tocry

:uguu

:stahp

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:09:26 AM by Nintex »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
Beat the forest temple and now onto.. ? I dunno 😂
What

Himu

« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
Most likely fire but you can sequence break in OoT :)
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
Ah yes, the Goron genocide.  :lol
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
Pink ghost  :tocry

Mr. Rabbit  :tocry
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:16 PM »
Finishing up OOT at this point. I had a hard time with Bongo Bongo (I kept on running out of arrows)  and so I went out and did the big goron stuff. I forgot how OP you sorta get from doing that.

I really don't get how you could say that the water temple is "OK" now. Less annoying? Sure. But it's still terribly designed. 3 different places to raise and lower the water, you can only raise it sequentially. So if you forgot something on level three and the water level is at level one you have to go, traverse the way to the level two area, play the zelda song, watch the song cut scene, watch the water raising cut scene, traverse to the area to raise the water level again, play the song again (cutscene), watch the water rise again.

Without a walk through you're going to miss stuff so you'll get stuck and then be like "Hrmm...probably missed something on the first level." Go back lower the level then be like "Oh man I forgot that thing on the 3rd level." Now go and raise the level twice.

In no way is the water temple "fixed" it's just more tolerable now.
que

Himu

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2019, 01:49:19 AM »
At the very least, when you beat OoT 3ds start a game of Master Quest and do Deku Tree dungeon to get a sample of how more refreshing the game is before officially moving on to MM.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
Isn't Master Quest just basically mirrored?

Chooky

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
nope. it has a mirrored map on the 3ds version, but all dungeons are redone. they have the same maps, but the puzzles and the path thru each dungeon is completely different.

Svejk

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »
Wonder if it varied from the Master Quest on the GC version, because that was the one I played last with my kids.  I played it, and although it seemed familiar, it was mirrored and not that familiar all at the same time. 

Edit: It appears it did have these changes as well, (unless they did even more on 3DS)...
The most notable feature of Master Quest is that every dungeon in the game has been modified to increase the difficulty of the game. Each one features a different layout, changing the progression through the levels. Enemies are spread differently throughout the dungeons, and tougher enemies are encountered much earlier on than in Ocarina of Time. In addition, some Gold Skulltula locations in dungeons have been moved, and certain items that are optional in the original version are now mandatory to complete the game.
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time_Master_Quest

Himu

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »
Uh, yeah.

Like I said.

Do Deku tree.

If you have any experience with OoT at all you should (actually, scratch that, let’s say will) say,”holy fuck I don’t remember it being this hard?”

Glorious. :delicious

In MQ enemies can one hit kill almost half the game. Beating Deku Tree is quite a triumph.

And to be fair to Puppy, I played MQ on 3ds (I specifically scouted out a used copy locally at GameStop that had been completed so I could play MQ rather than go through the original game again and succeeded). And lemme tell ya. Water Temple in MQ is way, wayyy different in MQ than original OoT. That colored my impression of OoT 3d.

If you’re asking these questions it tells me you didn’t go through Deku Tree.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:51:23 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
Gonna co-sign that.  Ocarina Master Quest is ridiculously rewarding and well worth playing.  I wish Nintendo would do another preorder bonus as fire as the Master Quest disc was.  Not doing a Master Quest for WWHD was such a missed opportunity. :notlikethis

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
i don't remember the original master quest being that much more difficult save for a few tricky gotcha moments both in enemy encounters and puzzle design but it seems like the 3ds version made it so enemies deal twice the amount of damage.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
So I finished OoT AND i did the deku tree in the Master Quest. You are right. It is way better designed. I died only 3 times in the whole quest of OoT. Once was because the camera. Another because I just threw myself at Ganon and the camera got caught and I couldn't see to dodge. And one of them was a genuine death. So really I'd only count 1 or at best 2 deserved deaths. I died once in the Deku temple Master Quest itself. I was like "Whoa.....that's actually sorta nice" maybe after I'm done with all of them I'll return and do the whole master quest.

Now onto the Switch version of Link's awakening.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
Finished the Face shrine. The end of Link's Awakening is in sight  :tocry

Rooster flapping behind me :heart
🤴