Author Topic: If you could forget one game and replay it  (Read 1932 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
If you could forget one game and replay it
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »
Which one would it be?

If if can go back in time and replay Ocarina of Time for the first time, it would probably be my choice.

Must I really go into detail how and why? I consider it one of the best games I have ever played, and even replaying it now on the 3DS for the first time it's just as good now as it was then ( and honestly even better with all the new graphics is why I posted this specific video ) . The formula really hasn't grown stale on me yet, and Oot just has such a great atmosphere especially in the towns and dungeons.

If I'm honest I'm trying to find out some games that I can play for the first time, that I haven't played yet so I thought this thread would be a cool idea :).
What

kingv

Re: If you could forget one game and replay it
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
I remember my first encounter with Mario 64 at a demo kiosk in a toys r us.

That shit was almost magical to me. There was really nothing with that much fluidity and charm in 3D st the time.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
If we’re talking playing it for the first time in today’s modern gaming landscape, probably Earthbound.  It’s the “Odyssey of videogames” for me, storywise, with graphics that are still charming in their simplicity, and gameplay that remains mostly mechanically sound (inventory space limits :-\).

If we’re talking about being able to return back to the time of and experiencing a game for the first time again in that day’s landscape, there’s just so many but I think I’d settle on Doom.  It was just so much more graphically ahead of the console stuff I was playing at the time, and a hell of a lot more my style of pc game compared to the slow-paced likes of Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry that had been in my pc gaming rotation.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
Mmarsu you should play the Master Quest version of OoT, it would give you a similar effect
WDW

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »
Resident Evil 4 is the first game that comes to mind.

Other games like Super Mario Galaxy, Half Life 2, Metroid Prime etc. are great but the emotions felt when playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time  :whew
With that said it would also have to take place in 2005 and not 2019.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
if you have not played master quest DO IT NOW
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
I might play Master Quest I guess, I had it for gamecube but it never really grabbed me back then.. :/

What

Himu

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
It's on 3ds version if you're playing that. I got a used copy with a completed save so I could play MQ. You can also just pirate it.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Well shit is it on the 3ds one? I have the cart.. was it an option at the start? Must have missed it
What

Himu

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »
No you have to beat it.

Stupid decision.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
Metroid Prime
dog

Occam

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »
Maybe Symphony of the Night. Or Binding of Isaac.

Svejk

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »
Either MGS1, Tenchu:SA or Saints Row 3rd.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »
silent hill 2 any day

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »
Skyrim

Hell yeah, brother

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But real talk, Morrowind. :whew
[close]
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »
Resident Evil 4. Maybe I would be thrown off by "why can't I move and shoot" at first, but after getting acclimated to the combat and doing the village level, I would have been sold by the time Leon goes "where's everyone going? Bingo?". I find the village and the castle to be much better overall than the island part of the game, but even then the game is still damn fun.

BisMarckie

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »
Probably MGS 2, I was a Solid Snake fanboy and wasn’t able to appreciate the game for what it is back then.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
Xenogears probably. Or another story-heavy title.
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
For some reason I think of this more as a plot or overall experience type thing rather than specific to gameplay. So many things become influenced by gameplay aspects that it's difficult to separate from it. Symphony of the Night is a decent example of where you're kind stepping backwards on the gameplay, but it's still so well constructed and the rest of it makes up for it where you don't care that it's been done "better" and the Metroid Prime games are like that too. 2 and 3 are just easy to think of as objectively superior based on simple stuff like how the scan visor operates or in the case of 3 the combat taking a whole 'nother level. But the original still has the superior story and mystery and progression and so on.

For my pick like always I was going to say Chrono Trigger, but actually I think when I played it was better than coming to it now. So I'm thinking of something like Super Mario RPG instead. Something that sorta creates these expectations in your mind of how it will play out, but then is actually quite different.

I don't mean this in a spoiler type way as I've never thought Chrono Trigger's plot relied on its answers to the mysteries being unexpected or revelations. The part I've always felt the lovefests overlook in why it's been such a game that's stood is that the plot does not resolve any of its threads, it's an openly selfish ending (or fifteen) for a game. I think that's why I was so drawn to another game I considered, God of War 2, in that the spectacle was the experience and the resolution was similarly purely selfish rather than attempting to resolve time travel paradoxes. But then I'm a sucker for when these kinds of plots throw so many balls in the air like CT and GoW2 but then are smart enough to play the central conceit straight and ignore the balls. Mario RPG, especially now, certainly isn't original in its main construction of teaming up with Bowser to fight a bigger villain, but all the stuff along the way is what's enjoyable about it and helps it be a unique experience. Really, most of its "sequels" are like that too, even something like Super Paper Mario works for me. Although I'd imagine Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga would be my second choice from that line before even the Paper Mario mainline.

There are lots of online games I wish I could play now with the players they once had. But time travel is havoc on pings too.

benjipwns

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 07:35:06 PM »
Also Batman: Arkham Asylum because it made me feel so much like Batman that I fake called in sick after playing it all night. :doge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 07:48:49 PM »
ICO. I want to experience that level of visceral hatred again.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »
re: 4 wii, super metroid or the metal gear games. entering shadow moses fresh again  :preach
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
If we’re talking playing it for the first time in today’s modern gaming landscape, probably Earthbound.  It’s the “Odyssey of videogames” for me, storywise, with graphics that are still charming in their simplicity, and gameplay that remains mostly mechanically sound (inventory space limits :-\).

If we’re talking about being able to return back to the time of and experiencing a game for the first time again in that day’s landscape, there’s just so many but I think I’d settle on Doom.  It was just so much more graphically ahead of the console stuff I was playing at the time, and a hell of a lot more my style of pc game compared to the slow-paced likes of Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry that had been in my pc gaming rotation.

Tie fighter was awesome as shit for its day too.

Really felt like I was flying Star Wars ships.

X-wing was close but I remember it having some bull shit missions that were almost like puzzles where you had to do things in a certain order to have a shot.

kingv

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
Either MGS1, Tenchu:SA or Saints Row 3rd.

I loved MGS1. Also didn’t own a PSX, so I beat it for the first time on a PC... playing with a keyboard only.

Also for those that said half life 2. Tuck. That game sucked in 2004 and continues to suck into 2019.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »
Also for those that said half life 2. Tuck. That game sucked in 2004 and continues to suck into 2019.

shut up shut up shutupshupshutupshutupSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
People shitting on Half-Life 2 and ICO? Maybe I signed up for the wrong forum  :stop

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 10:35:56 PM »
When I was younger I was mad on the internet once that Yurop got a translated and extended New Game+ for ICO. True story.

nudemacusers

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
Quest for glory

Resident evil 4

Demon’s’ ‘soul’s’
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
Resident Evil 4 for sure

I look forward to RE4make more than the birth of my first child

bluemax

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »
Nier Automata
NO

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 02:04:13 AM »
ur mom
Margs

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 02:08:44 AM »
Breath of the Wild.
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 02:28:16 AM »
FFVII
Secret of Mana
Silent Hill 2
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
MGS 2

Yeah that's right, that's more than one game. Bite me.

kingv

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 08:02:03 AM »
Nier Automata

That’s a good choice. I didn’t know a lot about that game going in and it was a wild ride.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Virtue's Last Reward.
You can do whaaat with videogame narratives??  :neo :crazy

I'd want to repeat those surprises.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:18:59 PM by Spieler1 »