Author Topic: Analogue Pocket - Plays GB/GBC/GBA plus GG, Lynx and NeoGeo Pocket games!  (Read 3454 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
https://www.wallpaper.com/lifestyle/analogue-pocket-vintage-handheld-game-boy

Vintage video games have been levelled up through a contemporary reinterpretation of the Nintendo Game Boy. Analogue Pocket, by US tech company Analogue, is a faithful reimagining of the legendary games console. The handheld device can be used to play the entire library of 2,780-plus games produced for the 1989 Game Boy and its subsequent successors, the Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance.

A high definition display (ten times that of the original Game Boy, so we’re told) makes colours pop, shine and glow like never before. Additionally, stereo speakers, a USB-C rechargeable lithium ion battery and fully mappable buttons give today’s user better sound, longer battery life and the means to experience titles in their own way.

On the topic of titles: Analogue Pocket isn’t just restricted to Nintendo favourites. Analogue has made a host of cartridge adapters available to vintage-era enthusiasts, bringing releases from additional systems including the Sega Game Gear, SNK Neo Geo Pocket Colour and Atari Lynx into the fold.

The device isn’t just a lo-fi stroll down memory lane, however: it’s also something of a creative tool. For musicians, an onboard digital audio workstation called Nanoloop comes pre-loaded with a quirky synthesiser and sequencer. Fittingly, budding developers can also utilise the portable hardware to develop their own concepts.

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
i was hoping they'd make something like this eventually. looks awesome! of course its gonna be like $400 so that will temper my excitement :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
i was hoping they'd make something like this eventually. looks awesome! of course its gonna be like $400 so that will temper my excitement :lol

The Mega Sg and Super Nt are just $190, so it shouldn't be that much.
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
https://www.fastcompany.com/90417529/this-new-gaming-device-is-like-a-game-boy-for-design-snobs

this article says $199, out next year, has a dock with HDMI out and bluetooth for controllers

The Pocket system also takes some of the best ideas of Nintendo’s latest console, the Switch, and translates them back to 1989. The device has rechargeable batteries, and docks via HDMI so you can play the device on your television with Bluetooth controllers. Its 3.5-inch LCD screen boasts a 1600 x 1440 resolution, which sounds ridiculously sharp despite its diminutive size. “This display outclasses any display in a dedicated portable gaming device by a long shot,” says Taber. “It’s stunning.”
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:21:17 AM by nachobro »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
:leon

Will probably get this.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
Official site is up with some more info now. Signed up for preorder info

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
Deffo want one, purely to fuck around with the synth part, but being able to play my old pokemon games would be pretty dope too.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
I mean that's cool, but you can just retrofit a GBA or something with a Raspberry Pi to do the same thing without the need to hunt for physical carts or adapters. :expert

nachobro

• Live Más
why do you think this thing has an sd slot? :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Analogue Pocket - Plays GB/GBC/GBA plus GG, Lynx and NeoGeo Pocket games!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
I mean that's cool, but you can just retrofit a GBA or something with a Raspberry Pi to do the same thing without the need to hunt for physical carts or adapters. :expert

:era
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »

By that logic, I can just throw some ROMs on my phone and fuck around with them with a controller or controller case.  That's not the point.

You can get the Retroflag GPI case and put a Pi-Zero into it, but emulation isn't that great for GBA AFAIK.  Plus it's a lot bulkier and won't be as high quality as the Pocket will.

A portable Pi-Zero is more of a novelty thing to mess with emulation in general.  The Pocket is going to run games pretty much on par with the original hardware.  If people can get it hacked for homebrew/emulators, then it's going to be even better.
:itagaki
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:50:43 AM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
A modern way to play Game Gear games is super exciting for me... some great hidden gems in that library! Also a way to get TV Out for GBA without needing to get a GC and GBA Player is nice too.
^_^

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »

By that logic, I can just throw some ROMs on my phone and fuck around with them with a controller or controller case.  That's not the point.

You can get the Retroflag GPI case and put a Pi-Zero into it, but emulation isn't that great for GBA AFAIK.  Plus it's a lot bulkier and won't be as high quality as the Pocket will.

A portable Pi-Zero is more of a novelty thing to mess with emulation in general.  The Pocket is going to run games pretty much on par with the original hardware.  If people can get it hacked for homebrew/emulators, then it's going to be even better.
:itagaki

Oh, I get the point. Mine is more that this is redundant and not necessarily needed. Same as the mini-consoles that companies sell: You've been able to emulate or download ROM's of these for years now, the "novelty" of physical carts (and having to use an adapter to have more than one [Gameboy] :yuck ) isn't enough to really justify these, IMO.

why do you think this thing has an sd slot? :lol

Ok? So then: Why have the physical cart novelty? Why not just get a Pi and have the same thing for cheaper?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »
Also a way to get TV Out for GBA without needing to get a GC and GBA Player is nice too.

There is also this, which might be cheaper if you just want to play GB/GBC/GBA on TV.  Uses real hardware:

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
Ok? So then: Why have the physical cart novelty? Why not just get a Pi and have the same thing for cheaper?
because it will work perfectly out the box, will have a good screen, and looks slick. what a weird question...might as well ask why buy any product at all?

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/913772857649278976

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
Normally I'm right thurrr with BUY A FUCKING PI ALREADY NO SERIOUSLY STOP REPOSTING THE SAME OLD JOKES ABOUT IT AND JUST FUCKING GET ONE ETC ETC, but this is a case where the Pi isn't going to be as good.
 :obama
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »
eat my pi hole

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »
I have a pi set up at home for snes, md and arcade game stuff despite having an md mini and snes mini also :-\

but this is the least "just get a pi" situation of all the  "just get a pi" devices- look at that fucking thing. the portable aspect makes it a lot more worth it because it's going to be harder to cook up something with a pi on this level (esp something that uses original carts...)

I don't get why the screen is so hi res though? seems like a weird flex for no reason

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
I don't get why the screen is so hi res though? seems like a weird flex for no reason

That's just how Analogue does things, they don't cut corners.
dog

Beezy

Pre-orders are up - https://www.analogue.co/store

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
FUCK, when I went to try and buy, the shipping wasn't working and now it's out of stock. Absolute bullshit, was really excited for this. Do you think they will offer more?
^_^

Beezy

No idea. The same happened to me, but I opened another tab and went to checkout again. It worked that time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
FUCK, when I went to try and buy, the shipping wasn't working and now it's out of stock. Absolute bullshit, was really excited for this. Do you think they will offer more?

Almost certainly. The trouble is COVID has not only killed people, it’s disrupted all manner of international business. When they’ll be able to get fabrication time is likely up in the air.

http://twitter.com/analogue/status/1290305407034916866

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
$199 is actually a decent price.
I thought it would've been much more expensive.

Might also get one if it comes back in stock seems like a really cool gadget.
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
wanted it for the synth stuff, but considering that's delayed I've decided to wait

Tuckers Law

This method of preordering actually turns me off of a product.  I’d already signed up my information to be notified when preorders are available and thus showed more than average interest, why not go the extra step and make it so the preorders are initially available to just those people, while having earmarked a certain number for the public “ad hoc” preorders and make those available a day later or so?

Now I’m of the mind that I can just wait until it’s not a struggle just to get an order processed, and by then I might not even care to order it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
If I could just order this, I probably would. Which is why I'm glad it turned out to be a clusterfuck so I don't have to worry about spending my money. :rejoice
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
oh wow you cant buy the portable device that can play games on it. havent seen one of those around for a while. i'm sure portable devices that can be used to play games on it will be hard to find
fat

Quaker

The wait is fine as long as it's as good as their other FPGA consoles. I've been really tempted by the microswitch joystick on the Neo Geo Pocket but I think it'd be close to $300 for a used one + flash drive + aftermarket backlit LCD so it's more practical to wait for this instead and hope there's a jailbreak by the time I can get one.

Tasty

That's what they get not letting me preorder. :maf

G The Resurrected

Don’t expect it to ship this year at all.

Sho Nuff

In the meantime you can get a crazy POWKIDDY or AMBERNIC machine from China, they release like...one a week

Rman

In the meantime you can get a crazy POWKIDDY or AMBERNIC machine from China, they release like...one a week
as sleek as these analogue products?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
as sleek as these analogue products?

Looks pretty good to me.

ど助平

Tasty

You're a well-known retro-contrarian tho

Tuckers Law

The pocket has to actually release for its sleek design to matter.

Rman

china be crazy. i saw you can get bootleg MVS carts for nothing of ali express. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
You're a well-known retro-contrarian tho

:confused
ど助平

Quaker

china be crazy. i saw you can get bootleg MVS carts for nothing of ali express.
China don't care.

They figured out a way to covert old Blackberry LCDs into pixel perfect swap-in replacements for most of the old handhelds(Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan, Gameboy DMG/Color/Pocket/Advance/Advance SP) for less than $50.

They bulk reprinted the original Earthbound strategy guide in decent quality for ~$30(although the Scratch and Sniff cards in the back are odorless).

You can get a counterfeit Dreamcast "flash cart" for less than $40.

Most everything is made there anyways, sometimes it's nice to cut out the last couple of middlemen.  :money

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Yeah most of those screens are sold by sites such as retromodding and funnyplaying

lmao fuck all that imma just order from AliExpres
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I've never heard of these reproduction Earthbound guides. Seems like an odd thing to counterfeit
fat

Quaker

Nintendo put up free PDFs of all the instruction manuals for the SNES games on the SNES Classic before that came out. Earthbound didn't have an instruction manual since every copy came packed in with the strategy guide so they put that up instead.

I'm guessing the AliExpress guys used that as their source. Their store is all counterfeit SNES games so it makes sense.

Sho Nuff

If the Analogue delay is buggin you, in the meantime I can wholly recommend this hotness:

Tasty

If the Analogue delay is buggin you, in the meantime I can wholly recommend this hotness:

Just saw this on Aliexpress earlier today :lol

I want to try a GB Boy clone too, supposedly they're surprisingly accurate for clones.

Sho Nuff

This kicks shit. The screen is awesome. 640x480 resolution on a 4:3 TFT, integer scaling looks AMAZING.

Tuckers Law

Damn that does look nice.  And I just got the email today that my retroid pocket 2 has been shipped.

So much for Analogue’s nonsense.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
I've never heard of these reproduction Earthbound guides. Seems like an odd thing to counterfeit

They are counterfitting anything thats worth a little bit of money these days

What

Beezy

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
My Analogue Pocket is waiting for me at my parents house. Hopefully I still have some GBA/GBC games lying around there.

I can't believe how much this thing is reselling for btw. I wish resellers would stick to sneakers and hypebeast clothing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »
Got an RG280V the other day.  It's so tiny!  The screen is awesome and it feels pretty good.  Enjoying using it to play 8 and 16-bit stuff all over the house.

ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2021, 01:28:04 PM »
I don't think handheld libraries before the DS were ever great, but this still looks pretty sick and makes me want to play some of my few favs on it.

Not that it matters, seems like this will be sold out for years like all current hardware.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
I need this
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »
I managed to secure one during the restock so I'll be getting it with the dock and Game Gear adapter next winter. Looking forward to the Turbo and Neo Geo Pocket Color adapter, I never owned an NGPC. Also hoping that a Wonderswan adapter comes out too eventually!
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2021, 11:48:35 AM »
Looks like lots of people are buying up games, causing a spike. Apparently some flashcarts don't work on this device either
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2021, 12:16:19 PM »
Gameboy games before GBA could run out of battery like NES cartridges, right? That makes me hesitate buying up old titles.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »
Yes anything that has a battery can be drained, but they are also easily replaced with basic soldering
fat

Tasty

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
Looking forward to getting in on Batch 3... in 2023. :-\