Borys

Game
« on: December 17, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
`
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:31:39 PM by Borys »

Tuckers Law

Re: NEW Official PS4 Controller!!! (lmao) [attachment]
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
Uhhhh, dualshock 4’s already have terrible battery life, does that attachment run off it’s own separate battery or?

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
I guess it’s cool to have that functionality if you want it, particularly without spending $150+.  I hardly ever use the back buttons on the steam controller, but that might just be more a preference/“get used to it” thing.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:41:51 PM »
huh
©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
They listened  :rejoice DS5 has to have paddles and this just insures compatibility

Why don't paddles like on the Xbox elite or scuf controllers become standard? More input options is never a bad thing and a new gen seems like the best time to implement them... Not having to do methods like the claw seems more important than hd rumble

Svejk

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
I can see that having more function in VR maybe, otherwise... eh

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
Is that beneficial for FPS or something? I seriously don't understand the point.
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Never or rarely having to take your thumbs off the sticks is pretty awesome. Once you get used to it, you never really want to go back to using regular controllers. I love my Xbox elite controller. This is a decent solution for PS4, I'll pick one up.
sup

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
You can have capacitive buttons, but they have to be visible on the device at most times. It's possible to get away with breaking this rule if there's only one "button"/touch target, since precision at that point isn't an issue.

But multiple capacitive buttons, out of view? Wtf are they smoking?

Tuckers Law

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
I doubt even MS could patent paddles, that’d be like patenting face buttons on a controller.

Though now that I say that, didn’t Nintendo have some bullshit patent for the dpad at one point?

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
I doubt even MS could patent paddles, that’d be like patenting face buttons on a controller.

Though now that I say that, didn’t Nintendo have some bullshit patent for the dpad at one point?
Must've definitely been bullshit because Nintendo STILL can't make a decent d-pad to save their lives.   :nintendo

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »
Is that beneficial for FPS or something? I seriously don't understand the point.

Map O and X to them and you can jump and crouch in most FPS with thumbs still on sticks.  That’s the basic gist.

Thanks, aside from random things like Titanfall 2 and Battlefront II's single player campaign, I don't really play FPS games so I wouldn't know.
野球

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4687200

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
They basically took the worst part of the Steam controller and just made it an add-on. :lol

Maybe MS has some patent on paddles and the only way around it is to put a superficial screen, huh.

The idea of the back paddles on the Steam controller was nice, but they were too hard/stiff to actually use long-term. MS basically copied it and "made it better."

This is seriously from the Steam controller guys:

The battery plate (the logo above the controller) is a battery housing and back-paddle thing. MS just copied it since it's one of the better things that folks liked about the Steam controller.

kingv

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
They listened  :rejoice DS5 has to have paddles and this just insures compatibility

Why don't paddles like on the Xbox elite or scuf controllers become standard? More input options is never a bad thing and a new gen seems like the best time to implement them... Not having to do methods like the claw seems more important than hd rumble

I like your enthusiasm, but I feel like it’s way more likely that the PS5 is just compatible with this add on :-/

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
Lol is this the PS4's Circle Pad Pro

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 07:42:28 PM »

Coax

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »
Screen being on the back is weird, especially since it's shown being always lit. Wonder how much juice it consumes since the controller isn't known for its long battery life.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »
They aren't capacitive buttons, the screen itself is one round physical button you press in to change profiles. The actual left/right back buttons are physical and tactile/clicky from what I've read. I think the screen is kind of dumb, nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with just some simple led lights, but Sony gotta Sony.
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 09:44:42 AM »
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »
I bought one of these, they have them at Walmart for $25. Works about like you'd expect. It's a little tricky to snap on, but solid once you do. Programming it is easy, you just scroll through the buttons until you get what you want. There is no software to download, it's all done on the attachment itself, so you carry the profiles with you if you swap it between controllers. The screen shuts off after 3 seconds if you're not programming it. Probably minimal battery impact. It isn't as obtrusive as it looks in the pictures, the buttons are pretty low profile. Your middle fingers naturally rest on them, but I haven't accidentally pressed them yet. Dunno why they put the screen in the back instead of the front.
sup