Author Topic: Have you moved more toward the Xbox ecosystem of late?  (Read 2647 times)

Rman

Have you moved more toward the Xbox ecosystem of late?
« on: January 05, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »
I grew up as mostly a Nintendo fan. The PS1 came in the mix and I instantly became of fan of the PlayStation brand as well.  PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, and so on.

However, like many, I got a 360 as my first MS console.  RROD sucked big time, but the console was doing so many interesting things. It also got me into the classic PC studios via their 360 output--Bioshock, Oblivion, Mass Effect, and so on. 

Then the XB1 came out and it was a stinker initially.  The casual/Kinect focus and the used game debacle, which they quickly abandoned after outcry put MS in a big hole.

Then Phil Spencer took over and started righting the ship:

-S redesign
-GamePass
-Elite Controller
-B/C up to the original Xbox with huge enhancements (4k and stable framerates)
-XB1X

With Gamepass, Games with Gold, my digital library from the 360 that has B/C and with the promising Series X and new studios, they are really looking strong for the next generation.

I still think Sony will win since Sony owns Europe, but as a consumer, MS is doing great things.  I've been shifting my third parties console purchases since I know I'll have them available for Series X (same with PS5 I heard, but I trust MS's digital store more)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Have you moved more toward the Xbox ecosystem of late?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »
lol no

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
Consoles... :nope

PC... :ohyeah

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »
I grew up in the hood, was raised by the hood. Yall motherfuckers cant just up and move into the hood. Go away
fat

Svejk

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
RROD was the nail in the coffin for me. One and only vidyahgame thing that ever shat out on me. At this point, I see no reason to jump on it over PC.

El Babua

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »
No, but I like MS supporting PC as part of their platform now

Himu

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
no.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
I moved over for 360, so, no

I do enjoy game pass tho

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
I was heavier on 360 so I guess I already moved last gen. However this is the first gen since the PS1 that I don't have any PS console and don't feel the need for one, though that's more related to more PC ports.

However Game Pass will keep me with Xbox so that's something worth noting.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
No or kind of...

I think Microsoft has a terrible first party output which is important to me. I don't care about Game Pass as I buy most games I'm interested first run. So Microsoft really isn't doing anything for me.

But the Xbox One X has been good hardware so I have bought more recent third party games on it.

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
Does PC Game Pass count? Because that's great.

Otherwise MS's merging Xbox console division with PC so their entire catalog is available on PC has been fantastic since it's saved me one less console to have to buy/make room for each generation since I can just play all their games on PC and stick with PC/Sony/Nintendo.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 03:40:15 PM »
Nope, that short lived time in the late 2000s when the PS3 fumbled out of the gate, the Wii was too busy chasing casual gamers, and the 360 was moneyhatting Japanese games was probably the only time I really cared about anything MS. Apart from a few niche/cult OG Xbox releases.

I highly doubt that the stars will be in alignment for something like that ever again, so I'll stick with Nintendo and Sony with the occasional non-power-intensive PC exclusive for the time being.
^_^

Rman

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »
Any of you PC guys excited about the new Flight Simulator? Looks amazing.  I loved the originals back in the 90s.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 05:14:06 PM »
If I buy a next gen console it will be an xbox due to gamepass.

Always have been an xbox man, OG xbox was my most played 128 bit console. 360 my most played that gen until MS decided to stop funding games. This gen was a clusterfuck and I was stuck with Sony.

More excited about a possible switch pro though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
Nintendo games would take up most of my time before with PC a close second and Xbox 360 closing the ranks.
The first Xbox One... I played some games like Forza Horizon 2 and Quantum Break but it quickly lost to PC again.

Last year I needed a cheap 4K Blu Ray player and the Xbox One X seemed like a nice fit supporting Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ etc. . But for the past 6 - 8 months I've also found myself playing more and more on the Xbox One X and less on the Switch and PC. Especially the Switch had a big drop off. Played Fire Emblem at the start of this year, some Mario Maker 2(but got bored rather quickly) and closed up with Zelda Link's Awakening. I have Astral Chain wrapped for the coming months but no rush.

Xbox One X on the other hand got a lot of play time this year. First with Resident Evil 2 Remake, followed by some Assassins Creed Odyssey, Tekken 7 and other backlog games. Currently diving into Ace Combat 7 and Sekiro. I switch between platform mostly because of the software. Pokemon looked like ass and Luigi's Mansion 2 is not my thing so Nintendo hasn't really delivered for me in the latter half of this year. I'm also not quite certain that they will with Metroid Prime 4 delayed until infinity. A lot will depend on the release of BOTW2 and hopefully some fun and surprising games. But I can't think of anything that would really excite me at this point, except for maybe F-Zero. People always think that Nintendo has dozens of secret projects cooking but when no more than 2 or 3 games are announced you know they're going to shit the bed over at least the next 12 months.

🤴

thisismyusername

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »
Any of you PC guys excited about the new Flight Simulator? Looks amazing.  I loved the originals back in the 90s.

I've got Flight Sim X Steam edition and haven't even played more than an hour of it. :lol

The new one sounds interesting in the "power of the cloud" being able to fly over your house way, but I'd wait on a sale for that novelty personally.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 08:20:00 PM »
never been much for those games but i'll check it out cause i imagine it'll look great on an ultrawide and it'll be on game pass

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »
All Xbox exclusives also come out on PC Game Pass, so nah.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »
As long as pc gamepass is a thing the answer is no, and I haven't even bothered to fuck with pc gamepass, so that should tell you something
yar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
The OG Xblob was a Dreamcast 1.5 so I was all about that.

Fell away after 360, though not for the reliability issues it had. (My launch PSX and PS2 were both pieces of garbage in that regard too.)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
The OG Xblob was a Dreamcast 1.5 so I was all about that.

More like Dreamcast+PC, which was great for somebody who liked the quirkiness of the Dreamcast and didn't have an especially powerful PC at the time.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 11:00:34 PM »
 ::)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
we use the xbox for just dance, game pass stuff not on pc, and console exclusives like rdr2. it's kinda nice to have a way to play in 4k hdr as an option too, but otherwise it's mostly pc now with switch for nintendo games.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »
They had already gotten me with the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »
I had a 360 cause PS3 was insanely pricey for a very longtime, and have an xbone cause I won it from Taco Bell. :yeshrug
I think the next machine they put out will be a contender with all the devs they've gobbled up as of late and Sony deciding that they need to limit what content is on their machines besides what the ESRB et al say is ok. :doge
Hi

thisismyusername

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 12:31:15 AM »
I think the next machine they put out will be a contender with all the devs they've gobbled up

Donte must Cry: DmC devs. :donot
Obsidian which is always rushed. :donot
Killing their Japanese support (Itagaki is now dead, they should've bank rolled him once he left Tecmo TBH and put him on a Ninja Gaiden). :donot
Not buying CliffyB (which in hindsight is probably a good thing) and forcing him to work on Gears forever. :donot
343i flailing (PC port is pretty terrible: How the FUCK did no-crouch-while-moving-on-keyboards get past their PRIVATE/CLOSED BETA TESTS!?) with Halo. :donot

Obsidian is a maybe, if you're into rushed jank. But the rest of their internal studios bar Turn 10 and Playground have been pretty lackluster and for years.

The one benefit is not having to buy a console for that stuff and just modding the hell out of it (especially Obsidians stuff) once it releases on PC.

kingv

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 09:48:43 AM »
I’m 💯 stadia now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »
I got three months of Xbox PC Pass, so I guess.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
If by "Xbox" you mean "PC," sure.  Kinda.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
Every month for the past few years I check the New Releases threads for reasons to buy an Xbox.

I don't have an Xbox.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »
Do you have anything thats not a Nintendo system?

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
Do you have anything thats not a Nintendo system?

A dusty PS3 and two whole games :jeb

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 03:10:25 PM »
Every month for the past few years I check the New Releases threads for reasons to buy an Xbox.

I don't have an Xbox.

Gamepass on Xbox is the reason. So many dope ass games. And sure, 99% of them are probably multiplat— but they’re not included free on other platz

Get it and play viva piñata games lol you’d love that game

Bebpo

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »

Yeah, I used to love these games as a kid. Will give the new one a shot and maybe grab a cheap flight stick.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
it's only $5 more a month for xbox vs pc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »

I don't have an Xbox.

Gamepass on Xbox is the reason. So many dope ass games. And sure, 99% of them are probably multiplat— but they’re not included free on other platz

Get it and play viva piñata games lol you’d love that game

this is why I just bought an S last week  :stahp
püp

Rman

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
it's only $5 more a month for xbox vs pc
Do you get Xbox GamePass if you pay for PC Gamepass?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »
I pay for ultimate, it’s both and live for $15

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »
no they keep them separate but for the cost of both they give you gold as well.

pc only gamepass - $5/month
console gamepass - $10/month
ultimate (PC+console+gold) - $15/month
xbox all access (an xbox s console + ultimate) - $20/month

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
pc game pass will definitely end up being $10 a month once its out of "beta" so i hope they can step it up when they do that

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 11:31:58 PM »
I was heavy on Playstation until the 360 shook things up. That generation, either planning or luck, but MS had everything in place that defined that generation of console, and Sony spent the whole time playing catchup.

The Xbone was seriously onto something neat with the Kinect 2.0 and the plan for post-install, disc-less play -- who the fuck knows what their actual plan was for used game handling. It could have been workable, but they abandoned it in the face of PR pressure. It seemed like they lacked the strength to follow through on their convictions.

My PS4 is alright. I don't care about Trophies in the same way I got hung up on Achievements, and the Party stuff feels no better or worse than 360's did. It's an upgrade from 360 graphically, but that's about it. I love having a standard headset port on the controller, and a (theoretically) easy-to-swap internal HDD.

But I'm still waffling on getting an Xbone -- probably wait for Series X though.

kingv

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
I think Xbone drm was a cool idea that was about 4-5 years too early. I think many of us wouldn’t bat an eye at it now.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »
No or kind of...

I think Microsoft has a terrible first party output which is important to me. I don't care about Game Pass as I buy most games I'm interested first run. So Microsoft really isn't doing anything for me.

But the Xbox One X has been good hardware so I have bought more recent third party games on it.

I don’t mind Microsoft’s first party output so those games being free day one or earlier is awesome for me.  I first tried gamepass with the 1$ for ultimate and convert up to 3 years of live promo and honestly I play more random games than I do first party stuff now.  I think the true benefit of gamepass is the ability to try out games that are outside of your comfort zone or favorite genre at no risk.  There are quite a few games I wouldn’t have given a second look at otherwise without gamepass that I ended up enjoying immensely.