Author Topic: Am I an idiot for buying a 4K TV now for vidya  (Read 2426 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Am I an idiot for buying a 4K TV now for vidya
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:36:10 AM »
Need help boys, moved to Japan and all the TV's here are jacked in terms of pricing EXCEPT for LGs OLED line, which is the same as the States. Ain't no Costco here with 70 inch panels for $400.

SHOULD I SAVE UP FOR A B8 OR B9, or are 4K standards still fucked in regards to feature set (HDR, Dolby Vision, HFR)? Will I likely be locked out from the eventual next gen console features if I turn out to be a fucking idiot and buy a PS5?

Bebpo

Re: Am I an idiot for buying a 4K TV now for vidya
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 02:52:39 AM »
I saw a thread the other day on era that said 2020 tvs are changing HDMI standards that will include stuff next-gen consoles will support, so not to get a TV until next year. No idea on the details. Was basically the CES models for 2020.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:23:06 AM »
Go big or go home.

100" 8k 240Hz.

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 03:24:19 AM »
You might as well wait for technical specifications for the next-gen consoles. HDMI 2.1 is needed for dynamic HDR and 4K resolution at high frame rates.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:34 AM »
wait to see what is going on with the consoles and HDMI 2.1 before buying a new one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
I'd just get a decent smaller PC monitor for gaming (I assume the prices are still cheaper than TVs over there?) instead and wait to see what the next-gen consoles do with all their 4K-8K-HDR-freesync-gsync-whatever features.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
Yes you are an idiot for buying a 4K TV for vidya because the best games require 480i anyway
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
I've got an LG OLED (C8). It's freaking amazing. You have not seen perfect black levels or contrast until you've seen an OLED.
The Technicolor mode and HDR are :o

LG's also ship with Dolby Vision and the other HDR standards unlike Samsung which usually picks one.
As far as 4k > 8k goes, we've just arrived at the point that 4k content is readily available. Unless you get a screen that's larger than 55 inch I don't think you'll gain much from 8k.

If you can find one cheap, get an LG OLED now.

Also if you are in Japan I imagine you like animu. OLED 4K is like perfect for animu with a kick-ass upscaler.
Games too btw, fucking amazing how good something as BOTW looks which doesn't even run at 4k.
At 4k on Xbox One X everything looks stunning. Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Ace Combat 7  :drool
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 01:56:33 PM »
You guys don't seem to be getting that TV prices over there are insane- anything new that comes out is going to be absolutely ridiculously priced.  Buying a 20" 720P/1080i TV over there in 2006 cost me like double the price it would have been in 'Murica.  :japancry

I saw a thread the other day on era

:jeanluc
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:04:29 PM by pork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
Maybe the current stuff will drop to acceptable price levels when the newer sets start rolling out.  Dunno- I dropped the HDTV thing and went the monitor route when I was over there and had to get something else. Prices were so much better.  Good stuff, too.  Wish they sold some of those monitors here.  But obviously that only works if you're OK with something smaller.

Regardless I agree that it's best to wait and see how things turn out.
ど助平

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
I pretty much switched to a gaming monitor.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »
HDMI 2.1 is needed for dynamic HDR and 4K resolution at high frame rates.

:lol

i can guarantee this is not going to be something you'll be thinking about with next gen consoles
◕‿◕

archnemesis

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:00:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if an indie developer made a game with simple graphics to allow high res/frame rate. Your average AAA game won't reach 4K/120Hz anytime soon.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
Buy a decent one now and play on it. When the new shit comes out, buy that too. Move the one you bought now into the bedroom.
©ZH

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 12:15:28 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-a-new-tv-1840909995

spoiler (click to show/hide)
posted for the title; didn’t read
[close]
serge

Sho Nuff

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
That last article says "...or buy an old one on sale," which I guess I'm gonna do. The B8 supports Dolby Vision, so fuck it.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 05:14:26 PM »
hitting 1080p with consoles and growing 1080 content was a struggle enough already
I don't see 4k content rolling out that fast either, and definitely don't see the new consoles being good for 4k tvs, unless 2D indie games are your jam I guess

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 05:22:53 PM »
need those low poly count/sprite based indie games to be crystal clear 4k renders eh?

we'll be lucky to see a few titles that can hit 4k/60hz next gen. stable, native 4k/30 was a huge achievement with all sorts of wizardry to achieve it with RDR2 on the x1x. 120hz is a waste of time for a tv unless you have a pc you use for it.
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
I saw a thread the other day on era that said 2020 tvs are changing HDMI standards that will include stuff next-gen consoles will support, so not to get a TV until next year. No idea on the details. Was basically the CES models for 2020.

arent they just talking about hdmi 2.1? lg's oleds the last few years have had that i think? certainly supports gsync now, which is the big one for gaming imo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
I'm probably going to need to get a new monitor for vidya now (baby on the way- renovations are coming, rooms are going be re-arranged, and I'm not going to have the space for a big TV anymore), but will wait for the next-gen stuff to drop first to see if they make higher refresh rates a standard thing.  Don't really care about HDR after my TV experience with it, although I found it only kinda fell flat with the PS4 specifically and other stuff looked great.

Likely gonna be going back to the old, trusty ASUS 27" 1920x1080 monitor I used to use, before the TV, for now. 
ど助平

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
If you’re just buying a 4K tv now I’d assume that having the absolute best graphics isn’t a huge priority for you and I’m sure your next gen games will still look awesome on your 4K tv.  I still have a 1080p TV and I have an Xbox one X. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Occam

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
HDMI 2.1 is required for 4k60 (and up).
If I hadn't already bought a 4k TV (with HDR) a few years ago, I definitely wouldn't buy one without HDMI 2.1 now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
If you’re just buying a 4K tv now I’d assume that having the absolute best graphics isn’t a huge priority for you and I’m sure your next gen games will still look awesome on your 4K tv.  I still have a 1080p TV and I have an Xbox one X. 🤷🏻‍♂️

From my experience, 4K has been a much bigger deal with video content and PC games.  Most 4K PS4 games don't look as good, but could just be my TV for whatever reason.  Or maybe it's the whole checkerboard-rendering thing?  Dunno.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »
forza horizon 4 and rdr2 were the only really good looking 4k games that i've played. nothing much else has been too impressive.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:48 PM »
forza horizon 4 and rdr2 were the only really good looking 4k games that i've played. nothing much else has been too impressive.
It's basically these two. Horizon in HDR is pretty fucking crazy looking. It's a shame though that there's not much else. Even with horizon though sometimes I put it on the 60 fps mode instead.

I'm playing doom 2016 on one x and it looks pretty clean, but nothing like the other two.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »
Hmmm the more I look into it, the less likely I am to buy anything without HDMI 2.1.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 06:37:48 AM »
Didn't they show the new LG oleds with Gsync, at CES 2020? I'd wait for those, although the current ones with adaptive sync/HDMI 2.1 may be good enough, if you don't have an nvidia card.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 12:07:38 AM »
Been looking at 27" and 32" monitors recently and found out that that there is actually one 4K 32" HDTV available- the Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA.   Rtings scored it higher than all the other monitors I was looking at for gaming peformance, so giving it a shot since my setup has changed and this size is the largest one I can fit.  Going to use it mainly for console gaming for now.

The one negative is that this costs more than some of the larger models do. :dizzy

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q50-q50r-qled

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:14:38 AM by bork »
ど助平

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 01:02:20 AM »
Maybe
QED

Sho Nuff

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »
End of the story, at work we had an extra old 50 inch LG 1080p and they didn't have room for it, so they were like fuck it just take it, we'll never ask for it back.

Now we're in a great depression so I'm glad I didn't blow $1500 on some dumb shit so I can make rent 12 months down the road when I'm unemployed

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 01:40:28 AM »
Ouch, your job doing that badly? IIRC, you're in the games industry... so sales should be somewhat brisk(?) with the quarantine?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Now we're in a great depression so I'm glad I didn't blow $1500 on some dumb shit so I can make rent 12 months down the road when I'm unemployed

Meanwhile bork literally posting saying "man I should go buy an expensive one of a kind TV to play videogames on" haha what a moron
fat

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
My roomate's tv stop receiving signal a few weeks ago because some filament burned out, and watching the news was literally the only thing I used to use it for, so now I got no need for a tv. Next stop, enlightenment.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »

Meanwhile bork literally posting saying "man I should go buy an expensive one of a kind TV to play videogames on" haha what a moron

Bork didn't pay a dime for this TV.  It's an early birthday present.  :)  It's also like $460.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do have to pay like $500 for the wife's last OBGYN visit, though. 
:stahp

Dat yearly bonus and OT pay saving the day
:rejoice
[close]
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
Ouch, your job doing that badly? IIRC, you're in the games industry... so sales should be somewhat brisk(?) with the quarantine?

We're okay for now but I'm a lifelong pessimist. Also I assume sales will be decent across the board until everyone runs out of money and stops paying for games six months down the road  :goty2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 08:23:30 PM »

We're okay for now but I'm a lifelong pessimist. Also I assume sales will be decent across the board until everyone runs out of money and stops paying for games six months down the road  :goty2
Games are cheap entertainment compared to many other things.
I recall games did pretty well during the previous recession, you just need the right product.

Which meant that the Wii did really good and the $599 PS3 less so.
I think Nintendo is going to make a killing with the Switch as they can easily cut the price and have the Lite available now.

There should be enough early adapters for the PS5 / Xbox Series X Xbox X X but that's going to be a harder sell.
Cross gen games being a thing will likely mean that unless MS, Sony and key developers forcefully pull the plug the Xbox One / PS4 will continue to live on for the next 2 - 3 years.
🤴