Author Topic: Genetic tests  (Read 3983 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Genetic tests
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
I've never really been into these things because I always associate it with Deus Vult types but... my aunt got my grandfather to do the Ancestry.com DNA thing while trying to find all of his kids (we're talking like 9+ kids through 4+ women. Like Genghis Khan shit.) and showed us his results.

So he's mostly Czech. We already knew that. Whatever

Anyway who else has experience with this stuff?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:51:10 AM by shosta »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Genetic tests
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:00:14 AM »
 :putin :ussrcry

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 12:12:17 AM »
have a seat on the ol' check casting couch  :success

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 12:14:42 AM »
23andme has changed my results several times. At this point, the site claims that 89.9% of my ancestry is Eastern European. Two of the most likely regions are Podkarpackie Voivodeship, Poland, and Lviv Oblast, Ukraine.  Czechs out since all four of my grandparents are ethnic Poles from what is now western Ukraine.

shosta

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »
Yeah, I absolutely will never believe these tests for anything more specific than general ethnic categories. To me it's an interesting suggestion at best. Would be interested to take 23 and me in the future, not for ethnic reasons actually but to see if I have down syndrome or something.
每天生气

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:17:04 AM »

I received an update recently, which was weird. Now included Ethiopa and North Africa. If that doesn’t secure my n-word pass, I don’t know what will.

Genetic tests are interesting, even if they’re basically useless. Also, the stuff they’re able to do with your DNA is kinda sus.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 12:17:57 AM »
 :mynicca

EightBitNate

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:18:15 AM »

samir

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 12:23:52 AM »
JUST LOL at stupid Americans always be like "I'm Italian", "I'm Czech", "I'm Irish".  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 12:23:52 AM »
If that is the paternal grandparent's, then no guarantees of an exact halving since meiotic recombination isn't passing along a precise 50-50 split for grandparents.
He'll have given you a Y-Haplogroup that you can trace back millennia.

Edit: Wait, I mis-parsed. Your dad is white?

shosta

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
JUST LOL at stupid Americans always be like "I'm Italian", "I'm Czech", "I'm Irish".  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
I agree with this actually  :american
Wait, I mis-parsed. Your dad is white?
no, he is mostly czech
每天生气

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 12:30:00 AM »
lol I used to love dem czech twinks when that sort of thing was my bag. That must be why I’m so fond of you.
serge

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 12:30:56 AM »
Anyway, 23andme tends to be the top dog. It's best for whites though since they've got the largest repository of data to work with.
If you aren't white you won't get as meaningful results. Like you'll have to comb through other websites with your raw data to get the insight you wanted.

shosta

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 12:33:50 AM »
Edit: maybe I'm wrong
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:39:47 AM by shosta »
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 12:38:22 AM »
Yeah, so I would spend time browsing 3rd party sites with raw data tools to get something meaningful.
When your family doesn't have any sort of written records of older generations, and some grandparents died young as was the case in quite a few places. You get curious about where you're from on a timeline that isn't long at all.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 12:43:48 AM »
lol I used to love dem czech twinks when that sort of thing was my bag. That must be why I’m so fond of you.
https://twitter.com/_barlos99/status/1221180531716419584

shosta

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »
Wait a second. Onlyregret is right. These are my gramps' results. Not my aunt's. Lol. Thank god
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 12:46:14 AM »
Anyone try these?

Nice try, CIA/FBI/DEA/etc.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:12 AM »
Well that makes more sense, if you find out the y-haplogroup he has, yours will be the same since it follows patrilineal descent unchanging.
It doesn't tell you much aside from tracking population migrations over a timescale of 10s of thousands of years which is neat in its own.

thisismyusername

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 12:49:13 AM »
I thought 23 and me dropped the whole health screening? Which was like the only reason to use them. :doge

shosta

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 12:50:11 AM »
Did they really? :(
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 12:51:18 AM »
My dad got a DNA test. I haven't yet, but he's mostly from Nigeria. Over 50%. Surprisingly 40% white. Mostly German. And somewhere in there is 1% Filipino. What the fuck.

Pretty big deal to me given I have no idea of my place of origin being a black American. Can't wait to get my own.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »
Are both his parents black? Where'd whitey come from?
每天生气

thisismyusername

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52:15 AM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52:56 AM »
Genetics of general health screening is a massive crapshoot for the most part, too many factors to control for and the literature they cite lacking.
Aside from specific, strictly hereditary conditions. The rare recessive traits.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 12:56:43 AM »
Are both his parents black? Where'd whitey come from?

Do you know American history?  :comeon I have no idea where the white comes from. Could be from rape from the slavery days.  I'd have to research it more once I get my results. Could be consensual but if I recall most former slaves hooked up with either natives or the Irish if it was outside the race. So I have no idea where the German comes from. I'm more familiar with English slave owners being populous in America and not too sure about German American history.

Both parents are black. My dad is black black too. Very dark and tall. My mom comes from a more light skinned family. Grandma's grandpa was white, I know that much.

I'll have to get my own test.

I'm leaning Ancestry because they seem to have the best network.

The real what the fuck is the Filipino. What the fuck. My entire family is black. I have no idea where this shit came from.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 12:57:24 AM »
My dad got a DNA test. I haven't yet, but he's mostly from Nigeria. Over 50%. Surprisingly 40% white. Mostly German. And somewhere in there is 1% Filipino. What the fuck.

Pretty big deal to me given I have no idea of my place of origin being a black American. Can't wait to get my own.

Tiny fractions can be chalked up to potential algorithm noise and not something to put too much stock into.

shosta

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 12:58:42 AM »
What are you, a doctor?
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 12:59:13 AM »
People tend to not be as "pure" as they think they are since populations migrated and mixed all the time, like the spread of the lighter skin mutation.
Unless it was a population isolated, but the euros did a good job tracking them down and raping them.

Himu

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »
What is the best DNA site for pinpointing places of origin? Which service is better at this?
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:25 AM »
23andme I think is liked as a favourite, of course, outcomes vary. White people fare best across all tests because the accuracy of results is contingent on having a good database.

Himu

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:57 AM »
23andme I think is liked as a favourite, of course, outcomes vary. White people fare best across all tests because the accuracy of results is contingent on having a good database.
'
Yeah that's why I ask. Hmm. :thinking
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »
Kill whitey!
Margs

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:20 AM »
its 100% a discomfort with being generically american. because theyre products of displacement caused by capital and state coercion. but the old world’s more colorful, more primordially ‘cultural’. they can splash some determinacy onto themselves by showing which lego blocks theyre made out of. and genealogy sites like these capitalize on that discomfort. solid grift, wish id gotten in on it.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »
If you are really unsure what to pick, google around a bit. Make an decision only when you're really sure.
DNA ancestry is split into different tasks, there is the actual testing of a sample which is lab based and without much room for doubt. And the ancestry computation which takes the raw data of many people to form a system to then compare a person against and estimate ancestry based on comparison to the database.

23andme does both testing and computing ancestry and from having read up a bit online generally liked for accuracy.

Himu

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:53 AM »
What if turns out that I'm half German?

Will I be able to show it to Germans, make some argument about not knowing my history due to slavery and since we don't have an idea of a point of origin get some weird status of having sorta Germanic birth and immigrate?

Was geht, niccas.  :mynicca
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 01:08:29 AM »
Kill whitey!

No, that could be half of me! :stop

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:sabu
[close]
IYKYK

EightBitNate

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 01:10:28 AM »

Wakanda forever, brother.

Himu

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:20 AM »

Wakanda forever, brother.

IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 01:14:54 AM »
Himu going whole-hog into this is funny. Hon, don't take these things super seriously. OnlyRegret is giving solid reasoning for that.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 01:16:40 AM »
Himu going whole-hog into this is funny. Hon, don't take these things super seriously. OnlyRegret is giving solid reasoning for that.

I'm black this is the only course of action. No one knows where we come from. Just that we're black. What country in Africa? What is my history?

You are expressing white privilege.  :ufup

But don't worry, as I now can partake. :rejoice
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 01:23:14 AM »

Health is the more snake oil aspect, at least, for the time being.
On a side note, it's funny seeing the whites posting on the 23andmeforums, bringing up their extensive family trees to critique their results. Why even bother paying for the test when you know the answer  :lol

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 01:24:04 AM »
What are you, a doctor?

No, but I pretended to be one as kid.

Himu

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:34 AM »

Health is the more snake oil aspect, at least, for the time being.
On a side note, it's funny seeing the whites posting on the 23andmeforums, bringing up their extensive family trees to critique their results. Why even bother paying for the test when you know the answer  :lol

The privilege of this

SMH
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 01:28:26 AM »
crackers and crackerettes, what a people they are

Himu

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 01:30:28 AM »
OnlyRegret play doctor on me.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 01:41:42 AM »
I'd just larp as the family doctor when I was 5 or something.

My results, roughly:
82% North Indian+Pakistani
3% Southern Indian
2.5% Central Asian
1.5% Northwest Asian

Plus a bunch of broadly (large group) for other percentages. Better that what the first report was, but still pretty vague since the first one is a group that like 500 million people or so slot into.  :lol
Given I know basically nothing for one grandparent, this lets me at least imagine things

Himu

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2020, 01:46:36 AM »
Can you show me a screencap of the genetic break down?
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 01:56:13 AM »
its 100% a discomfort with being generically american. because theyre products of displacement caused by capital and state coercion. but the old world’s more colorful, more primordially ‘cultural’. they can splash some determinacy onto themselves by showing which lego blocks theyre made out of.
I always enjoy these conversations with people really into it because they want to know about mine and we were literally just European mutts at the point before we became American. The strongest of a single group is Swedish because the great-grandparents of my mother came directly from Sweden. (Which makes me like what you know.) Everyone else had been in America for some generations and half of them had morphed into Elevated Americans by that point.

Someone in the family got obsessed at one point and gave us all the stuff and we trace back to like England, a bunch of German states, more Scandinavian states, etc. but literally the lines of half the family or more were already here by the Civil War. And they were combined families when they came over which is why some of them came over. And gobs of them had been displaced by wars so where they came from may not even mean anything.

Speaking of libraries, the State of Michigan revitalized its library by adding a huge geneology section by combining historical records from across the state, every time I've gone there (it's a repository library), it's been relatively packed (for a state library where you can't check out half or more of the materials) with tons of generally older women, but sometimes younger women, there trying to trace this all out.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2020, 02:11:10 AM »
Benji at the library

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2020, 02:22:36 AM »
So just out of curiosity, how do they relate genetic material, to nations? Especially modern ones?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:52 AM »
Can you show me a screencap of the genetic break down?

Bit hesitant since, can't recall for sure, but I think I've posted it a few times online already like on a forum or maybe Reddit and don't want to leave too many footprints.

So just out of curiosity, how do they relate genetic material, to nations? Especially modern ones?

Tends to be not so much by nation.
I don't know the technicals but I believe it involves
get loads of chipped people with known ancestry -> computationally associate certain allele types on chromosomal positions with certain populations -> get thrown a persons raw data and run some sort of proprietary algorithm using their raw data with the data model

Himu

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:12 AM »
Ok. Can you give me a general summary instead?
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2020, 02:58:30 AM »
Willfully hand over your genetic information to get targeted by FOXDIE brehs :pacspit
Margs

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2020, 03:07:19 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
I'm black this is the only course of action. No one knows where we come from. Just that we're black. What country in Africa? What is my history?

I'll circle around to this in a minute:

You are expressing white privilege.  :ufup

:neogaf

Honey, I have no fucking clue what my ancestry is and I couldn't fucking care. Would it be nice to know? Maybe.

My point is: These things aren't exact science, they can make mistakes. I wouldn't take these as 100% truth. You're going overboard like usual on something and it's funny because really: You shouldn't take these things super seriously. No T, No Shade.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
I dont want to waste money finding out im 100% polish

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
Giving out your DNA for when they inevitebly try to clone us?

No thanks
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »
I did this last year always thinking I was Polish and Italian (grandparents were from Naples and Abruzzi) but also have some Lithuanian, Greek, Anatolian, and a very tiny (like 1%) bit of Ashkenazi Jewish and Arab.

Flannel Boy - The majority of my Polish ancestors are apparently from Podkarpackie Voivodeship as well. We may be distant relatives :o
^_^

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »
Giving out your DNA for when they inevitebly try to clone us?

No thanks

Don't think you need to worry about that.