Author Topic: Auschwitz was liberated 75 years ago  (Read 1116 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Auschwitz was liberated 75 years ago
« on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
You live only as long as the last person that remembers you.

Let's keep my grandma's memory alive:

https://www.1944.pl/archiwum-historii-mowionej/wieslawa-borysiewicz,2197.html

Thank you for being the best grandma one could hope for and a true inspiration, depsite what you went through you were never hateful or resentful.

I'm sad to see that anti german sentiments are being stirred up now in Poland, by people that never experienced what you did, exploiting history.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Auschwitz was liberated 75 years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:36:11 AM »
i dont know how to react to this thread.

hope this shit never happens again.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 04:45:45 AM »
Your grandma is a legend  :heart
If the Nazi's try this bullshit again we knock them the fuck out  :dice :salute :steiner
🤴

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »
Meeting holocaust survivors and visiting the remnants of a concentration camp made me a more tolerant person. I hope others will continue to share the stories now that people who experienced it first-hand are dying off.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
I was in Krakow this past November and while we didn't make it out to Auschwitz, we stayed in the old Jewish quarter and took our daughter to the Schindler Factory museum. Did the walk across the bridge and it was pretty humbling to go through those areas and think about what happened.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:52:51 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

BisMarckie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
I was in Krakow this past November and while we didn't make it out to Auschwitz, we stayed in the old Jewish quarter and took our daughter to the Schindler Factory museum. Did the walk across the bridge and it was pretty humbling to go through those areas and think about what happened.
Krakow is a beautiful place to visit, it has amazing restaurants, architecture and affordable hotel rates.

I was in Auschwitz-Birkenau and Auschwitz I last year for the first time. It is a haunting place, I spent 8 or 9 hours there without a guide and just went through the various exhibitions.
It is a mass tourist destination and people behave that way taking selfies and kinda treat it like a morbid theme park.
The museum does a good job overall, but completely refuses to acknowledge the role Poles played in the holocaust by handing over Jewish people to the Nazis. Poland has ways to go in that regard. (although the POLIN museum in Warsaw does a better job, you can clearly see it is not run by the Polish state who still refuses to accept that responsibility)

What irked the most me was that people tagged some of the barracks with their names, like how disrespectful can you be?

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:17:46 PM »
Krakow is a beautiful place to visit, it has amazing restaurants, architecture and affordable hotel rates.

We really enjoyed our time there along with Budapest and the High Tatras Mountains in Slovakia earlier in the trip. Had a really cool AirBNB apartment in the Jewish quarter in Krakow.

It is a mass tourist destination and people behave that way taking selfies and kinda treat it like a morbid theme park.

We encountered similar behavior at the Schindler museum. I also saw this one guy who took super up close pictures of every single Nazi thing and it started to make me pretty mad. Like what the fuck dude.
野球

BisMarckie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
The documentary film 'Shoah' by Claude Lanzmann is available in its entirety with English subtitles on youtube. It's 35 years old at this point, but it's still a great film. No archive material, just nine hours of contemperorary witnesses talking.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
I've seen Shoah a few times over the years. Really hits you hard.

I had a holocaust survivor come and speak in one of my undergraduate classes back in 2002 or 2003. He just happened to live nearby in Tacoma, WA and came and spoke to students regularly. I don't remember which camp he was at, but he talked about being liberated by the allies and how many people died following that from gorging themselves on super caloric food too quickly.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:46:48 PM »
I've never been to Auschwitz actually. Don't think I could bear it. Just the thought of it all makes me tear up.

My great grandma made my mom alwayd keep a stack of clothes ready and packed as a kid, just in case world war 3 started. Then my mom passed some of this angst to me. This is kind of cross generational trauma territory. On one hand I'm glad it will end with me, but it's also worrying that there will be no one left carrying the torch.

My grandma was moved deeper into Germany with her mom before the camp got liberated. Her dad died of hard labour and malnutrition in a German camp in France if I recall correctly.

Up until her death she was visiting German schools every year talking about het experience.