Poll

When is MLB going to hell and end this season?

Early August
4 (50%)
Late August
2 (25%)
Early September
0 (0%)
Late September
0 (0%)
lol, they're going to cancel regular season games mid way and immediately start playoffs
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: MLB Baseball Thread: 2020 sucked. 2021 might be better?  (Read 33283 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
MLB Baseball Thread: 2020 sucked. 2021 might be better?
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/Think_BlueLA/status/1229575850237915136

Also: if you're a T Mobile subscriber, think they're still running the full year of MLB.TV promo.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:37:58 PM by Tripon »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: MLB Baseball 2020: Everyone is mad at the Astros
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:05:51 PM »
I'm guessing my Braves will once again be good enough to win the division and lose in the first round. Oh well.
yar

BisMarckie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »
First winning season since 2012 for the White Sox, let's go  8)

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
NL east is gonna be brutal this year, Mets, Braves, Nats will be the top 3 teams and any of them could take the division, Phillies will hang around all year and the Marlins will suck as usual.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
NL east is gonna be brutal this year, Mets, Braves, Nats will be the top 3 teams and any of them could take the division, Phillies will hang around all year and the Marlins will suck as usual.

:girlaff

Seriously though, I honestly don't see it, they have the Cano albatross contract, No real 3B and their outfield outside of Conforto is suspect at best. And Edwin Diaz looks like he is broken.

I have the Mets around 75 wins.

bluemax

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:19 PM »
Mariner's got this.

One of two teams PECOTA gives a 0% chance to win it all!

The basic hopes for the Mariners this year are:

Marco Gonzales stays good
One of JP Crawford/Mallex Smith/Dan Vogelbach finally improves into a 3ish win player
At least one of Shed Long/Kyle Lewis shows the ability to be a 2+ win player in the near future
Evan White shows he can hit at the major league level
Someone out of the Justus Sheffield/Justin Dunn/Erik Swanson trio sticks in the rotation
Logan Gilbert graduates
Jared Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, George Kirby and Cal Raleigh all stay on track
Noelvi Marte continues to show promise

In other words, get used to checking Arkansas and Everett box scores
NO

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:43:52 PM »

:girlaff

Seriously though, I honestly don't see it, they have the Cano albatross contract, No real 3B and their outfield outside of Conforto is suspect at best. And Edwin Diaz looks like he is broken.

I have the Mets around 75 wins.

Streamer and PECOTA have the Mets as the fifth best team in baseball.  Diaz will be fine, he still had swing and miss stuff he was just very unlucky and the Mets defense certainly didn’t do him any favors.  Defense should be about the same but I expect Diaz is more likely to look like his usual self than what we saw last year.  As for third base that’s McNeil’s position this year.  Cano is an albatross sure, but he started to put it together in the 2nd half last year.

Biggest issue last year was the bullpen, Mets relievers blew 27 saves and they still managed 86 wins.  This year they added Betances and if Familia and Diaz pitch even close to their career average the bullpen should be a strength as well.

Cespedes is the major wild card imo, if he comes back hungry and looking to earn a new contract next season he could make the lineup extremely formidable.

All that said they are still the Mets and knowing how cheap the Wilpons are they’ll probably get their hands on a Boeing 737 max to fly the team around on and it’ll crash on the way back from spring training :doge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 12:19:46 AM »
my nats :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 12:32:35 AM »
The Mets will struggle to a .500ish record. They won't truly suck or excel, in classic Mets fashion. They'll just sort of be there, like that vaguely disappointing middle child that always seems like they're about to get their life together and inevitably fucks it up. In another 3-4 years, they'll have 1-2 seasons where they're pretty good, making everyone think they're a relevant franchise again, before once again reverting to form.

That's it. That's the Mets way.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »
I will say that while the Nats have obviously been way more relevant and a bigger genuine threat recently, beating the Mets still gives me greater pleasure, because old habits die hard and their fans are truly delusional. Watching Mets fans go through the Sisyphean task of a 162 game season every year where they gradually come to realize that once again their team is still the same old Mets is one of the few remaining joys I have in sports or life.
yar

Himu

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
FUCK any team not named the Astros or the Mets

Fuck ALL of them.

After this off season I want the Astros to RAPE EVERY SEASON ONE OF YOUR TEAMS.

I want Glenda and Gundam to SHIT THEIR PANTS.

This is the first and only time you will EVER see me say a rape "joke" and I MEAN EVERY DAMN WORD.

The fucks at r/baseball need to eat crow. ALL of your fanbases need to be humbled and KISS MY ORANGE AND BLUE ASS.

Except Mets fans :uguu
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:20:27 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
I just noticed that the thread is called Major League Baseball Baseball 2020.  :shaking

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
At the denial stage huh

BisMarckie

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
At the denial stage huh

I think it’s clearly anger :ufup

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
lol Asstros
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
At the denial stage huh

Denial? I am so excited for baseball and for NYY and LAD and the STLM to be fucked and humiliated that I am watching every single bit of baseball news.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
At the denial stage huh

Denial? I am so excited for baseball and for NYY and LAD and the STLM to be fucked and humiliated that I am watching every single bit of baseball news.

Would you say that you are buzzing with excitement? :rodney

Himu

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »
At the denial stage huh

Would you say that you are buzzing with excitement? :rodney

Yes, from my chainsaw aiming at your corpse! :stop
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »

Fuck ALL of them.

I want Glen and Gundam to SHIT THEIR PANTS.

This is the first and only time you will EVER see me say a rape "joke" and I MEAN EVERY DAMN WORD.

The fucks at r/baseball need to eat crow. ALL of your fanbases need to be humbled and KISS MY ORANGE AND BLUE ASS.

Come on, fam, your team blatantly cheated their way into a championship and they're gonna get away with it with a slap on the wrist. :heh
dog

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
The Mets will struggle to a .500ish record. They won't truly suck or excel, in classic Mets fashion. They'll just sort of be there, like that vaguely disappointing middle child that always seems like they're about to get their life together and inevitably fucks it up. In another 3-4 years, they'll have 1-2 seasons where they're pretty good, making everyone think they're a relevant franchise again, before once again reverting to form.

That's it. That's the Mets way.

Nah that’s not the Mets way at all.  If they’re gonna end up around .500 it’ll be with a 12-15 game winning streak followed by a month where they only win 4 games like June or July.  Perhaps they can challenge their recent record for fastest team to go from 10 games over .500 to 10 games under .500 :lol

Himu

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »

Fuck ALL of them.

I want Glen and Gundam to SHIT THEIR PANTS.

Come on, fam, your team blatantly cheated their way into a championship and they're gonna get away with it with a slap on the wrist. :heh

Losing the coach that built the team up from a 100 loss team is not a slap on the wrist.

I never said anything about defending the Astros in that post.

My post is all about SHITTING on the people that have gone on a goddamn witch hunt towards the team. Going to baseball sites and talking baseball with ANYONE not an Astros or Red Sox fan is MISERABLE. Go to r/baseball and it is a goddamn circlejerk and ANYONE with an Astros is downvoted into the negatives. Non-Astros fans have treated the team, its fans (who are fans and HAVEN'T cheated), like complete dirt drilling down conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory. Got Yankees bitching about how the Astros ruined their careers. Now pitchers on other teams threaten to BEAN Astros players and deliberately throw 100 mph balls at the players. No. Fuck YOU.

I repeat: I want your teams RAPED.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
Go to r/baseball and ctrl-f Astros.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/

Read the comments.

Go to twitter or facebook on any MLB related page.

Yes, the Astros have done something bad. But the circlejerk and constant conspiracy theories for MONTHS and MONTHS on social media has lit a fire in me, and by extension, the team. FUCK YOU.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »
ok
dog

Himu

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
ok

ok

keep blindly hating the astros if you want, bringing up conspiracy theory after theory.

Ok
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »
purposely beaning all the astros players might make baseball interesting for once

Himu

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1229408329107222528

My next hat

Fuck ALL of them. This season you will DROWN in your salty tears mixed with your own piss. And you'll cry even harder as the Astros advanced to another World Series you absolute FUCKS.

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
 :nugenix
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »
the mindset behind trump diehards is becoming more clear by the second

Himu

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »

On reddit people are comparing Astros fans to nazi enablers. Imagine enduring this for MONTHS.

I want them DEAD.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
obnoxious hyperbole is kind of reddit's thing. can't take them seriously over there, most of the "serious" reddit sports posters are legit like 14 -16 years old.

i noticed that once i saw posts like "got this sick XYZTeam cake for my birthday" and it's a picture of a child showing it off at a family party. :lol

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »
purposely beaning all the astros players might make baseball interesting for once

Manfred already told reporters that his office was working on a memorandum to teams regarding pitchers intentionally hitting batters and increased punishment for doing so.  Pitchers who retaliate will be punished more severely than the cheating players themselves, great look MLB :heh

On reddit people are comparing Astros fans to nazi enablers. Imagine enduring this for MONTHS.

I want them DEAD.

Take the L and stop paying attention to that shit.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
obnoxious hyperbole is kind of reddit's thing. can't take them seriously over there, most of the "serious" reddit sports posters are legit like 14 -16 years old.

I knew you'd say this. You don't follow baseball if you think this is JUST reddit.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
that is true. i don't pay attention to baseball at all. i couldn't even make it through the baseball episode of DS9 without falling asleep :doge

Himu

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »
How is this possible :stahp

That episode is god tier :fbm
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »

Manfred already told reporters that his office was working on a memorandum to teams regarding pitchers intentionally hitting batters and increased punishment for doing so.  Pitchers who retaliate will be punished more severely than the cheating players themselves, great look MLB :heh

I want them DEAD.

Nope.

Full heel now.

Kiss my ass.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »
How is this possible :stahp

That episode is god tier :fbm
lol was just joking. vulcans playing baseball was pretty hilarious. baseball itself is just something i've never been able to get into, no matter how hard my family tried to push it on to me over the years

Himu

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 01:57:31 PM »
I'm sorry about that :fbm

You'll never know the joy of a hot summer day and girls in tight shorts wearing tight team shirts

I'm sorry
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
hey ive gotten to go to a lot of cool and i guess historic stadiums over the years and ate many nachos but also spent a lot of time on my gameboy there after inning 5 or so. :lol my family really tried hard

Himu

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »
hey ive gotten to go to a lot of cool and i guess historic stadiums over the years and ate many nachos but also spent a lot of time on my gameboy there after inning 5 or so. :lol my family really tried hard

I feel you. Growing up I hated football. It's so popular in Texas and I just didn't get it. I like it more now that I'm older but growing up I fucking HATED how much football was a religion here.
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »

I want them DEAD.

Nope.

Full heel now.

Kiss my ass.

You: Imagine enduring that for months.

Me: Stop paying attention to the shit talking you are enduring

You: No

:idont :mindblown

Himu

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 02:03:48 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about? Go on any Astros news, whether it's Chandler Rome's twitter, or some facebook page, and it's overran by comments shitting on the Astros and Astros fans calling us cheat lovers as if we can just suddenly drop our team.

What, you want me to stop reading Astros news too?

No. Fuck YOU.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
yeah comments section will raise your blood pressure no matter what side of an issue you are on

Himu

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Also it's funny how I'm supposed to turn a blind eye. Oh, it's wrong for the Astros to cheat (absolutely) but perfectly fine to railroad and treat a fanbase like dirt for simply being fans. As said on r/astros,"Yes we cheated. Yes we deserve punishment. None of that changes the fact we're being railroaded by mlb and its fandom. Two wrongs dont make it right."

Nah. 2020 you're getting FUCKED.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
yeah comments section will raise your blood pressure no matter what side of an issue you are on

r/astros is currently being brigaded and almost every thread is downvoted to 0.

You cannot escape it even in your own sub. Fuck it then, if you can't escape then fuck ALL of them.

IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 02:08:45 PM »
yeah maybe you just gotta go the patriots route. win 5 more titles and...well people still won't shut up but then you'll have 6 titles

Himu

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
yeah maybe you just gotta go the patriots route. win 5 more titles and...well people still won't shut up but then you'll have 6 titles

Believe me. I'm already there and have newfound kinship with Boston fans.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
:rejoice being a raiders fan online

Himu

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

If there's one silver lining in all of this it's that although I am an Astros fan at least i was never, ever, a fan of Twilight.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »
baseball players all kinda seem like wusses. they cant even have two dudes push each other without the whole bench clearing and nothing happening. hockey is super lame but at least they'll throw fists for a few minutes.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »

I want them DEAD.

Imagine reading reddit for anything other than, like, video game hints or whatever

Go outside and enjoy real life, your team ran an excessive, player led cheating scam for years. Take the L, move on. Then take another for reading and caring about what people say on reddit and twitter. Then go to therapy.
yar

Himu

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »

I want them DEAD.

Imagine reading reddit for anything other than, like, video game hints or whatever

Go outside and enjoy real life, your team ran an excessive, player led cheating scam for years. Take the L, move on. Then take another for reading and caring about what people say on reddit and twitter. Then go to therapy.

I have moved on.

On to vengeance.

Have the others that harass the Astros and Astros fans moved on? What about this thread title? They certainly haven't moved on.

Get fucked.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2020, 03:04:33 PM »
People still referencing perhaps the biggest scandal in the history of baseball that was uncovered in the off-season before the upcoming season is "harassing the Astros"?  lol

No, not at all. I've detailed what harassment entails in this thread. Sorry you choose to ignore it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »
Also it's funny how I'm supposed to turn a blind eye. Oh, it's wrong for the Astros to cheat (absolutely) but perfectly fine to railroad and treat a fanbase like dirt for simply being fans. As said on r/astros,"Yes we cheated. Yes we deserve punishment. None of that changes the fact we're being railroaded by mlb and its fandom. Two wrongs dont make it right."

Nah. 2020 you're getting FUCKED.

This must be so hard for you. If only you had an easier situation, like being a fan of the team who lost to the Astros in the World Series, or owning the jersey of the ace pitcher who got shelled and mentally broken when the Astros knew what pitches were coming.

Fuck your ace pitcher and stop pretending the Astros cheated every game.  I hope he's even more mentally broken when the Astros fuck tear him up even more in 2020.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
MLB should have vacated the 2017 WS win and suspended the players implicated for 50 games which would have put a stop to the ongoing speculations.

Manfred could not have handled it any worse.
Justin Turner's comments were straight fire.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »
It's so sad that off-season baseball discussion has become almost unreadable (as opposed to merely nonexistent).
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
If only you'd gotten to spend the last couple months of 2017 completely numb and unable to feel joy in any capacity, Cindi. That would have been much easier than having to read some shitty posts in comments sections.

If this really is about losing the WS 2017 you would also raise a stink about losing in 2018 to the Red Sox who is also under investigation for cheating.

But fucking crickets.

Nah, you say jack SHIT about the Sox because YOU'RE FUCKING BUTT HURT and you can't ever take it back.

Two years in a row. Your team are LOSERS.

You talk about being fair but keep talking smack. We both know your team has the bigger market and it would impact MLB far more if it found out Dodgers were implicated of cheating.

Oh wait, they were. It was a league wide thing and yet you still only focus on the Stros. You lost to the Sox in 2018 - also cheaters, under the same staff person who brought the bullshit to the stros - and yet you still shit completely on the Stros and Stros fans with zero impartiality while claiming to be fair.

Fuck the Dodgers.

Your team are LOSERS.

IYKYK