Author Topic: This gen is too long again  (Read 5496 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
This gen is too long again
« on: February 23, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Bring back 5 year gens plz

Discuss

Svejk

Re: This gen is too long again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Funny... To me, it feels like it's flown by and it's here almost too soon... I don't know if it's my age now, or if the whole mid-gen PS4 Pro shit felt to stagger it... OR, it could also be my ever growing backlog which makes it feel like this gen had been too short...
Obviously my feelings are all over the place.  :lol
But the brass tax here; how much is the cost of upgrading to next gen?  I currently can't compete with folks and their super rigs upgrading a $1K card every 5 years... I got kids to feed.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »
You rarely play games, what does it matter to you.
fat

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Er-PS5 is releasing this year...?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 03:09:17 PM »
New gen brings freshness and its more fun to play with shiny new toys and graphics

Sure i have a huge backlog but i just want to play new games tbf

Hope xbox series x doesn't shit the bed price wise

BisMarckie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
Funny... To me, it feels like it's flown by and it's here almost too soon... I don't know if it's my age now, or if the whole mid-gen PS4 Pro shit felt to stagger it... OR, it could also be my ever growing backlog which makes it feel like this gen had been too short...
Obviously my feelings are all over the place.  :lol
But the brass tax here; how much is the cost of upgrading to next gen?  I currently can't compete with folks and their super rigs upgrading a $1K card every 5 years... I got kids to feed.

Feels like PS4 came out yesterday. Hard to believe it has been over 6 years now. :existential

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
Lol, spend more on pcs, you'll be in "next gen" sooner plebes
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
Sure i have a huge backlog but i just want to play new games tbf

:confused
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
I think he means he wants to buy new games for new platforms that he'll add to his backlog.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
Mid gen refreshes like the Xbox One X and Switch kept it going longer for me.

🤴

Rman

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
Xbox One X extended it for me. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 04:59:53 PM »
The only console game I've played this month was on an original Xbox in SD. :snob

Occam

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »
Switch is still fairly new and PS5 will launch 9 months from now.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
I like not buying new consoles regularly.

Really hoping the complete backwards comparability rumors for PS5 are true though. Would clear up significant entertainment stand space, plus my PS2 doesn't even work anymore.

what sources are saying this?

maybe for psx. would highly doubt ps2, and there's no way it supports ps3 games.
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
There is just something nice about a bew console and launch games

Pennywise

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
There is just something nice about a bew console and launch games

Launch games usually suck tho. I refuse to buy new consoles till they got a decent library,  plus launch hardware is always busted
With all the delays I'm gonna wait on some titles like Cyberpunk until there is the better version.
Helps quite a bit with a possible weak launch lineup.

Think both are gonna have a decent lineup though.
Alot of time passed since some studios had their title out, so there should be more than enough ready for PS5/X1X.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
I've played more Switch games this gen than PS4/Xbone, despite it being a generation or more behind.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
:yeshrug
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
I stayed on last gen until proper exclusives like Bloodborne came out and actual interesting titles like Nier 2 started to get announced, so it hasn't been that long for me. Though tfw even that is soon 5 years ago :goty2 The last time I was excited for a launch was like the Wii. But tbh, I might chime in for next gen right in the beginning this time either way, because you get both next gen and the mid-gen upgrade. There's more than enough current gen games to play and replay, might as well do that in pro mode. Especially since PS4 hardware annoys me anyway. I'd pay extra for a Playstation with full bc, but I don't see that happening. Sony right now doesn't seem like they'd do anything pro-consumer like that beyond PS4 bc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:02:21 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »
Lager just wants them to come out so he can argue bullet points on spreadsheets and youtube videos. Boring
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:13 AM »
Eh, can't really agree. This gen has been pretty good to me and there's still plenty of games coming out. Things like Doom Eternal, FFVII Remake, and RE3 Remake look great graphically to me. I don't even feel things like the One X have at all been tapped out. And PS4 is still getting things like Last of US and Ghosts. I don't know, things are pretty solid for console gaming for me. I feel like things are in a good balance. Things will never be like the PS2 days in terms of sheer number of releases, variety, and scale of games. But I feel theres a good number of all types of games this gen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:36:42 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Chooky

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
Things will never be like the PS2 days in terms of sheer number of releases, variety, and scale of games.

see i feel like this gen has already gone so far beyond what ps2 had to offer in terms of variety. like anything you can think of is probably out there, if not on consoles then on pc, vr, phones, the amount of variety is so insane that you can't even really keep up reading about it all let alone play it. every week has multiple cool new releases and you gotta have pretty narrow tastes to not be overwhelmed with affordable great games.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 01:23:16 AM »
I've played more Switch games this gen than PS4/Xbone, despite it being a generation or more behind.

Me too and switch will prob stay my number 1 machine

Idea of Switch Pro  :-*

That said I need Cyberpunk, guess I could play it on PC though

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 01:25:06 AM »
Lager just wants them to come out so he can argue bullet points on spreadsheets and youtube videos. Boring

Joke older than this gen

Boring

paprikastaude

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 04:31:45 AM »
Things will never be like the PS2 days in terms of sheer number of releases, variety, and scale of games.

see i feel like this gen has already gone so far beyond what ps2 had to offer in terms of variety. like anything you can think of is probably out there, if not on consoles then on pc, vr, phones, the amount of variety is so insane that you can't even really keep up reading about it all let alone play it. every week has multiple cool new releases and you gotta have pretty narrow tastes to not be overwhelmed with affordable great games.
´

I wasn't hopeful when this gen started out as a continuation of the PS360 monotony, but since 2015 the variety has really gone back to the pre-HD era, thanks to Japan and mid-budget returning in full force. The only thing that I'm still missing is (non-indie) arcade racers these days. On the other hand, we now have genres that barely existed on PS2, like Visual Novels outside of Japan.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 06:29:37 AM »
By the end of the previous generation it felt like the limitations of the consoles were holding game designers back. No such feeling at this point in time and I think this new generation is going to be off to a slow start.
Spud

Occam

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
Agreed, PS4 was the first time I felt a system was good enough for almost any kind of game, and with excellent usability (fast GUI, suspend mode, fast loading (I have an SSD), local backups of saves). The only thing I'd like to see improved is PSVR, which of course it will be on PS5.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
Bragging about being a Nintendie :jeanluc

Times have changed- never thought I'd be more into a Nintendo console than a Sony one, but here we are. 
:idont

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:bow Vita 2.0 :bow2
[close]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:19:57 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:05 AM »
This is the last generation I'll probably even play. I'd still be on a 360 if an online friend hadn't gifted me his PS4 when the Pro came out. I can't see myself dropping $300-500 on a console ever again. :goty2

I dropped Xbox this gen and may do the same next gen with Playstation- Sony lost me with their policy changes and shift to western games as their focus.  Not big on most of their first-party titles anymore.  What would get me to buy a console for sure is if the rumored PS1-4 backwards compatibility is true and/or some big must-have third party exclusive title. 

But with some many more games that used to be console-only titles hitting PC, I don't know if that's going to happen.  Would be fine with just sticking with PC and Switch going forward, but as always will wait and see what happens. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:19:20 AM by bork »
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:25 AM »
I'll probably end up getting a PS5 a year or two after launch when there's a decent library of games. I say this now, but if it's affordable-ish ($400) and I have the money at launch I could also see myself just buying one as a 4k disc player since I don't have one of those and I'm a resolution slut. Wanna see my hobbits in 4k when I do my annual LotR watch.
yar

Occam

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 09:52:30 AM »
Yes.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »
I dont know how anyone could want to pay $500 for more of the same. The fact that for all of the """technological advancement""" the big generational bookender is just another naughty dog cover shooter (TLOU) says more than enough.

Svejk

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
Was just curious... peeked at ebayz to see what a PS4 with a PT demo is going for..  Folks trying to get $500 for one!  Sheeyit, I may try and put mine up then. lol

What made me think of it, I bought the OG PS3 (one with PS2 BC) around launch for $600... it was expensive as shit, yeah.. (had a friend loan me the money. lol)  But took good care of it, and after 2011, I sold it on ebay for close to the same price.    :money 

If I didn't have such an enormous PS4 backlog, I'd put my PS4 up as well, if that's the going price right now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Was just curious... peeked at ebayz to see what a PS4 with a PT demo is going for..  Folks trying to get $500 for one!  Sheeyit, I may try and put mine up then. lol

What made me think of it, I bought the OG PS3 (one with PS2 BC) around launch for $600... it was expensive as shit, yeah.. (had a friend loan me the money. lol)  But took good care of it, and after 2011, I sold it on ebay for close to the same price.    :money 

If I didn't have such an enormous PS4 backlog, I'd put my PS4 up as well, if that's the going price right now.

Don't you have to also give them your account for that to work?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »
Looking at completed auctions, it also looks like they go for $250-$300-ish.  There's one that went for $575, but that's probably also because it came with a 5TB HDD.  So maybe you could get more if you're including the 2TB drive you have.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:11 AM »

Don't you have to also give them your account for that to work?

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that the account has to be there for the download to work. BUT AFAIK, you can change the password (remotely) and so long as they don't attempt to login to it, you get access since the DRM is "unlocked" for it.

BUT, no: So long as they have PT on their account, all they need to do is figure out a way to have the ownership "key" change to their account thereby changing the download to be seen as "their" download.

But given there's ways to download PT from homemade servers and have it register as yours (provided you have it on your PSN account download list anyway), you probably don't need to pay for that, especially if those methods still work.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
This is the last generation I'll probably even play. I'd still be on a 360 if an online friend hadn't gifted me his PS4 when the Pro came out. I can't see myself dropping $300-500 on a console ever again. :goty2

I dropped Xbox this gen and may do the same next gen with Playstation- Sony lost me with their policy changes and shift to western games as their focus.  Not big on most of their first-party titles anymore.  What would get me to buy a console for sure is if the rumored PS1-4 backwards compatibility is true and/or some big must-have third party exclusive title. 

But with some many more games that used to be console-only titles hitting PC, I don't know if that's going to happen.  Would be fine with just sticking with PC and Switch going forward, but as always will wait and see what happens.

My PC is also too old and busted to play anything that has come out in recent years unless there was really good optimization. I built it in prep for MGSV so really anything to come out after that would need specs turned down/off to run clean, so really any AAA tier game from 2016 on, my PC can't really handle.

I can't imagine dropping money to improve it or build a new rig either.

:goty

:engel

Get a Switch

[close]
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »
I'm not anti Switch but I have never really cared for handhelds and I don't want bullshit Nintendo gimmick controllers in my life anymore
I bet your old PC is still more powerful than a Switch and has 10x the size library anyway.  :mike

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »
I like not buying new consoles regularly.

Really hoping the complete backwards comparability rumors for PS5 are true though. Would clear up significant entertainment stand space, plus my PS2 doesn't even work anymore.

what sources are saying this?

maybe for psx. would highly doubt ps2, and there's no way it supports ps3 games.

This is what I was seeing. Who knows how correct this is.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-5-backwards-compatibility-all-generations/

hiphopgamer as the source doesn't sound promising. full bc with past gens is an unfeasible dream. would stake my life on it ps2/ps3 will not be supported. sony might have an emulator for ps2 games and release them on individual basis like nintendo does with virtual console titles. each one would require a lot of work and comprehensive testing to make sure they actually work properly. generic emulation for ps2 is too difficult, inconsistent, buggy and requires too much tweaking for a consumer device.
◕‿◕

Occam

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2020, 05:04:21 PM »
Doesn't Sony already have a PS2 emulator (it could be run even on hacked PS3 Slims that lacked the EE chip)? The only problem was that PS3 wasn't quite powerful enough, though many games ran perfectly fine.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 05:14:44 PM »
Consoles are trash. Sony and MS exclusives have been zzzzz the past two generations.
serge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
MS exclusives were all cancelled and Sony exclusives were all sad dad simulators. :doge
Hi

Pennywise

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »
Doesn't Sony already have a PS2 emulator (it could be run even on hacked PS3 Slims that lacked the EE chip)? The only problem was that PS3 wasn't quite powerful enough, though many games ran perfectly fine.
They got one.
But for the PS4 they forced devs to include trophies as far as I remember.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
Also I don't even remember truly enjoying playing a game since MGR probably

Do you just look for so-called "AAA" shit?  Might be the problem.
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 11:01:18 PM »
It takes 3-5 years for most big games (and some Indie games even) to get made. A longer console life cycle gives studios more chances to make good games.
NO

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »
Console gens are irrelevant to me at this point. I'm PC only, with a hyuuuuge backlog and play stuff from all different eras. That said, full BC PS5, and widening BC of XB360/OG stuff would be sweet and I'd probably pick one of them up. Also as a 4k blu ray player.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Himu

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
I'm contantly catching up and playing new games so...nope. it aint.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
Also I don't get the rush to buy new consoles. It took me at least 2-3 years after release before getting a PS4 and 2 years for Switch.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2020, 12:41:28 AM »
People just love quality launch title games like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Kessen, Genji: Days of the Blade etc etc
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
People just love quality launch title games like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Kessen, Genji: Days of the Blade etc etc

:bow :bow2
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2020, 08:07:17 AM »
See?  It doesn't really matter how much next-gen will be...   it could NEVER be as shitty as PS3 launch:  Ultra expensive console with literally only a dozen games, most which blew serious ass.  If PS5 were to launch at $600 too, at least it would guarantee to have a much better and larger launch line up.   I got mine (PS3) a few months after launch and started only with Genji 2 and some Diablo type crap game I can't even remember the name of.  :lol  But in the end....  PS3 fucking duked it out and still was one of the best systems.  (And I made my money back on it  :D )   

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 08:09:02 AM »
Untold Legends?

Svejk

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2020, 08:14:38 AM »
Untold Legends?
That's it.  :lol  A friend of mine and I played a stupid amount of hours with Diablo 1 (PS1), Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance 2 (PS2)...  We were so pumped to get Untold Legends...  man it sucked hard.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
Not sure if it was the same game but, I liked the PSP version of Untold Legends.

thisismyusername

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
I can't imagine dropping money to improve it or build a new rig either.

Literally all you need to do is get a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM (due to RAM being stuck on "generations" in a sense). Provided your PSU is still good and you haven't like... overclocked or whatever, you should be fine after that. The GPU would be the only bottleneck, but if you waited a year or so the 2080 would be in the $250 range and you'd be able to upgrade with a paycheck.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »
See?  It doesn't really matter how much next-gen will be...   it could NEVER be as shitty as PS3 launch

Oh, ye of little faith!

:existential
[close]

Untold Legends?
That's it.  :lol  A friend of mine and I played a stupid amount of hours with Diablo 1 (PS1), Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance 2 (PS2)...  We were so pumped to get Untold Legends...  man it sucked hard.

What made this worse is that the two Untold Legends PSP games were all right for the time- the PS3 game was 100 times shittier. 

I wasn't too big on the PS4 launch either, come to think of it- only got it at release because I traded in a ton of Xbox 360 shit that paid for everything. 
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
PS4's first 2 years were like a desert for me, I jumped in during a Black Friday sale in 2014 but the first games I was really interested in were Type 0, MGS5, and Witcher 3.

I couldn't even name anything from the PS4 launch library, I think there was a Killzone or something. 2013 and 14 were probably my least favorite years in gaming since the crash.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
I jumped in PS4 a few months after launch with Ground Zeros, Shadow of Mordor and PT demo...  I was on cloud 9.  Seeing games in actual 1080p, finally using wireless headphones and witnessing the badass nemesis system, I felt the generational leap.  My expectations for "next gen leap feeling" is pretty low this time though.. feels like it's plateaued some.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:50:36 PM by Svejk »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »
PS3 launch...boxguy. :bow
Hi

paprikastaude

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »

I thought King Kong was liked :trumps

ITS RIIIIIIDGE RACER
[close]