Author Topic: Playstation 5er specs etc thread  (Read 2523 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Playstation 5er specs etc thread
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »
CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz with SMT (variable frequency)
GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
MEM BANDWITH: 448GB/s
HDD: Custom 825GB SSD

Seems a bit meh compared to Series X, slower cpu, less tflops, is there mention of ray tracing? Smaller SSD.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Playstation 5er specs etc thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »
 :snore :boring
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
Prob best thing is I can go visit gaf and ree and hopefully see some salt.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

bluemax

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
"The PS5 is like if you took PC class hardware and really optimized it for gaming." - Jon Blow on his stream right now

He went into more detail saying that because its not limited by 1970s operating systems principles like a desktop PC you get more out of the hardware.
NO

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
"The PS5 is like if you took PC class hardware and really optimized it for gaming." - Jon Blow on his stream right now

He went into more detail saying that because its not limited by 1970s operating systems principles like a desktop PC you get more out of the hardware.

woah if true
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »

No love for Xbox from him?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »
This number:
2.23GHz

seems like it was a nice rounded 2GHz until Sony told AMD to start overclocking until their factory burned down.
🤴

Occam

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but this seems kind of weak?

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 04:19:31 PM »
genuinely a good marketing strategy to go cheaper than your rival on all the main components only to bump up something minor like the SSD speed, then front load your conference about how SSD speed is going to be the barometer of everything and micropenis's flops don't matter anymore.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
I see Sony is checking the panic we fucked up boxes of loser consoles:

-Let's overclock/add a processor last minute a.k.a. The Saturn
-Let's pretend we have some hidden sauce  (ssd) a.k.a. the Xbox One (cloud computing)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »
The highest quality pixels we have ever seen.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
Honestly the lack of strong BC hurts, i was almost tempted to get a OneX just to play OG xbox and upscaled 360 titles these past few years, and when you consider how larger is the games-pool PS5 could dip into, it sucks they're considering as a bit of an after thought.
That said, PS1 and PS2 emulation is way ahead of OG xbox emulation, so at the end of the day, not that big of a deal.  ::)

As long as they support PS4's titles strongly, they should be fine on that front.

Also they focus a lot on 3d audio, which is cool and all, but personally i play 90% of the times with a regular soundbar+SW, so i'm gonna get shit out of it.
I assume most people play with headphones, though? I dunno it'll be good for them.

Occam

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 05:57:55 PM »
PS5 not having full PS4 BC is incredibly weak.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
PS5 not having full PS4 BC is incredibly weak.
It is, but i assume they'll cover all the games the mass market cares about from Rocket League to Bloodborne or whatever.

bluemax

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »

No love for Xbox from him?

He was specifically asked about PS5, he did talk very briefly about XBox after that but said he had less information about it so he couldn't comment on it very much.

Jon Blow produces the world's most technically advanced games;  that's quite the high praise.  He's also super trustworthy with his opinions which are not colored by him being a bitch ass cunt.

I mean yes, he is a controversial dick bag, but he is also a very experienced low level systems engineer. The point he was really making is that game consoles don't have to deal with Windows or Linux.

I've seen a lot of posts from people in compression land talking about how big of a deal the Kraken chip is: https://twitter.com/rygorous/status/1240341184867758085 https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1240433809625137152

I think people are really misunderstanding the BC situation, but that's the general impression I've gotten about the whole thing, Sony really should've done a separate consumer focused reveal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:57:59 PM by bluemax »
NO

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Wasn't Xbox BC rolled out over time as well?  It more seems the problem is how woefully behind Sony is on this that now they have to play catch up.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
Wasn't Xbox BC rolled out over time as well?  It more seems the problem is how woefully behind Sony is on this that now they have to play catch up.
Series X is said to be FULLY BC with XboxOne.
PS5 isn't going to be FULLY BC with PS4.

What rolled out over time, was Xbone's BC with 360 and OG Xbox, something PS5 isn't even trying apparently (BC with PS3/2/1).

This is the main difference that's causing concern, i think.

bluemax

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:41:49 PM by bluemax »
NO

bluemax

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:15 PM »
People are taking it as "only 100 games", but the point is they took the 100 most popular games and made sure they all work very well. That doesn't mean other games won't work, just that Sony didn't specifically take the time to test them.

Which is what they did with the PS2 software compatibility on the PS3, except this is a hardware solution and not a software one. A lot of emulators also take this approach!
NO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:25 AM »
People are taking it as "only 100 games", but the point is they took the 100 most popular games and made sure they all work very well.

No, they are taking the top 100 games, and hope to get MOST OF them playable by launch. 
They expect them to be playable by launch. An unnecessary passive, and ambiguous on top. We don't actually know what work they need to do that isn't already done, just that they're trickling out support. Could be QA, could be manual tweaking, could also just be paperwork for all we know.

Just speculating, but maybe the legacy install routines need to be adapted to their tiered storage system?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46:00 AM »
People are taking it as "only 100 games", but the point is they took the 100 most popular games and made sure they all work very well.

No, they are taking the top 100 games, and hope to get MOST OF them playable by launch.   They did not take them and make sure they work well already, they claim they aren't expecting them all to work well by launch (of those 100.)  Both Cerny and the blog use the word "playable" to;  meaning other games.. won't be playable.

I think that's where you're misunderstanding. They had a look at the top 100 games and almost all of them are fine.

That's a sample set. There's no reason to assume that only a tiny fraction of the rest aren't FUBAR.

wsippel

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 06:05:13 AM »

I mean yes, he is a controversial dick bag, but he is also a very experienced low level systems engineer. The point he was really making is that game consoles don't have to deal with Windows or Linux.

I've seen a lot of posts from people in compression land talking about how big of a deal the Kraken chip is:

I'm not sure Kraken really does all that much. The laws of entropy and information density still hold true, Kraken doesn't change that. It does nothing for high entropy data like textures, audio or video. On the PC side, stream compression is mostly used for low entropy stuff like code repositories and databases, that's where the technology makes a ton of sense. I guess it could help for suspend to disk, maybe? But that's a rather limited use case.

I'm not really sure what to think of the audio stuff, either. From the presentation, it sounds basically like Wwise Spatial Audio. Sony decided to strip down one Radeon CU and make it an audio DSP, and I'm sure it's really efficient, but it's also a waste if your game doesn't need all that computational performance, and inflexible if it's not enough. On PC, TrueAudio Next does the same thing as far as I can tell, but it's regular OpenCL, so it's far more flexible.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:18:26 AM by wsippel »

Raist

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
You're working under the assumption that they're having to actively tweak stuff for those 100 titles. There's nothing indicating that.

They've done a lot of work with AMD to get the GPU to run in several "legacy" modes.
So unless that was all for fuck all and now they're scrambling to get a bare minimum of 100 games to maybe run for launch, the most logical explanation is that they're not using any definitive language to avoid having a bunch of crybabies throw a fit because their 5 obscure animu games aren't going to run properly.

You know, like whatever intern running the Xbox twitter does, meantime you can find quotes from Spencer in a couple weeks old interviews giving a much less nuanced answer to the BC question.

Raist

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »
I think you're just taking the careful phrasing a bit too much as "we're currently actively working on getting those 100 titles to work".
For all we know 85 of them worked straight away :yeshrug
You know, since they designed the HW with that purpose in mind.

Svejk

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:43 PM »
Bloodborne in 60fps  :aah  I'll buy it for that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
I see Sony is checking the panic we fucked up boxes of loser consoles:

-Let's overclock/add a processor last minute a.k.a. The Saturn
-Let's pretend we have some hidden sauce  (ssd) a.k.a. the Xbox One (cloud computing)
Unless Microsoft takes a bit hit on the price the PS5 will be cheaper and by the time that 1.5 TF difference matters they can release the PS5 Pro. Microsoft first party will only drop souped up Xbox One games for the first 2 years. I don't see anything changing
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 01:58:44 AM »
1.5tf? More like 3.

And it matters from day one lol.

99% of third party games will look/run better on series X.

Fifstar

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 07:19:51 AM »
With diminishing returns, one console being 20% faster than the other one matters even less than before. And while I don't care for Sony's first party at all, when it comes to assets and presentation they are ahead of the pack. Which matters more noadays than pure specs.

I also don't get why people that can't wait to spend 500$ (or 1000 if they buy both systems) on a new console care so much about systems being backward compatible. I mean i applaud Microsoft for their service und user centric approach, but who has the time to play new games AND all the old shit?
Gulp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
With diminishing returns, one console being 20% faster than the other one matters even less than before. And while I don't care for Sony's first party at all, when it comes to assets and presentation they are ahead of the pack. Which matters more noadays than pure specs.

I also don't get why people that can't wait to spend 500$ (or 1000 if they buy both systems) on a new console care so much about systems being backward compatible. I mean i applaud Microsoft for their service und user centric approach, but who has the time to play new games AND all the old shit?
In a time when many of the most popular games are virtually endless services? Fortnite, Rocket League, Division, Destiny.. all these type of games need to carry over seamlessly in my opinion.
And plenty of people take the time to go back and play old games (we're not even talking about ps1, but ps4, here) including mass market audiences (look at Last of Use Remastered or GTAV), if they're easy to access, but nobody wants 30 boxes under their tv.
And fuck having to re-buy all the ps4 games, too.

Last but not least: A lot of people also trade in consoles to get the new ones, but especially at launch, they don't want to find themselves with only Knack-level shit to play, when they had a massive Ps4 library.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
who has the time to play new games AND all the old shit?

*Is busy installing Saint's Row 2 on his new Xbox One X*

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
Aside from FFXV and Bloodborne, I doubt any of the other PS4 games I own would be in the "top 100". Maybe DQXI if they count Japanese sales too.
^_^

Pennywise

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
Aside from FFXV and Bloodborne, I doubt any of the other PS4 games I own would be in the "top 100". Maybe DQXI if they count Japanese sales too.
Most of the games will run anyway.
I doubt there will be alot of problems along the way. Think there were like two games that had problems when the PS4>PS4 Pro happened. SOMA was one of the bigger probs.

Fifstar

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »

In a time when many of the most popular games are virtually endless services? Fortnite, Rocket League, Division, Destiny.. all these type of games need to carry over seamlessly in my opinion.
And plenty of people take the time to go back and play old games (we're not even talking about ps1, but ps4, here) including mass market audiences (look at Last of Use Remastered or GTAV), if they're easy to access, but nobody wants 30 boxes under their tv.
And fuck having to re-buy all the ps4 games, too.

Last but not least: A lot of people also trade in consoles to get the new ones, but especially at launch, they don't want to find themselves with only Knack-level shit to play, when they had a massive Ps4 library.

I don't think you need to be concerned that Fortnite won't work on the next generation  ;)

It's not like I don't understand the convenience of backward compatibility. I just feel like gamers are often more concerned with what they theoretically could play than what they actually do play.
Gulp