Author Topic: MOAR Free games coming to Epic Store WEEKLY till the end of 2020  (Read 2269 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Re: MOAR Free games coming to Epic Store WEEKLY till the end of 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
$250m of revenue from not fortnite, 12% of that goes to Epic so around $30m revenue from actual real games. when they had to pay for exlusivity deals on borderlands 3, red dead, metro, outer worlds, control, the division, anno, world war Z and a shitload of other smaller games, had weekly free giveaways that they had to pay for and had a universal $10 discount multiple occasions which would've also had to have been compensated, i reckon it's cost timmy a fair chunk of fortnite change just to make a store much shitter than steam and inversely profitable.

can't imagine those publishers being happy with the sales either given that $250m is a combined 4 million sales at $60. borderlands 2 did that on its own in a week.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
Their exclusivity deals were at least partially advances on sales though (and quite possibly, that's all they were.)

So that revenue goes to Epic.

And while the numbers seem small.. I mean unless they are lying, it says 60% higher than expected.

can you explain this a bit? i know control's publisher got $10m cash advance for exclusivity and they definitely weren't giving up a cent of the 88% they get from sales.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »
the $10 coupon must've hurt too on mid tier $20-30 games. epic making between -$5 to -$8 a sale on those. probably a good thing nobody is buying shit.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
Can't find any more recent data, but Steam revenue for 2017 was $4.3 billion [a record year at the time].
dog

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:58:58 PM »
$250m of revenue from not fortnite, 12% of that goes to Epic so around $30m revenue from actual real games. when they had to pay for exlusivity deals on borderlands 3, red dead, metro, outer worlds, control, the division, anno, world war Z and a shitload of other smaller games, had weekly free giveaways that they had to pay for and had a universal $10 discount multiple occasions which would've also had to have been compensated, i reckon it's cost timmy a fair chunk of fortnite change just to make a store much shitter than steam and inversely profitable.

can't imagine those publishers being happy with the sales either given that $250m is a combined 4 million sales at $60. borderlands 2 did that on its own in a week.

yeah $250m sounds pretty fucking awful given the calibre of games they paid for. i imagine BL3 alone would have done that on steam over the same period.

tbh i forget half these games on epic even exist. i only by chance looked up Dangerous Driving over xmas and was reminded it already came out like 9 months ago on EGS. if it was on steam or GOG, i would have been reminded of its existence like 5 or 6 times in big sales (and wishlists). i hope the smaller EGS devs got a hyoooge payout cause that kind of shit can't be good for them otherwise.

at the end of the day, steam/GOG/(and the occasional browse of HotUKDeals) are where my eyeballs are at. i'm not really plugged into gamer news so i'm sure i'm not the only that that has these games just pass 'em by when they're on EGS.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »
BL3 PC sold more in its first 5 days than Bl2 did.  That comes from a publicly traded company so is unlikely to be a lie.

I think you guys overestimate how much these games usually sell at launch.   They sell many of their millions of copies at like $10-25 a pop or in collections not at full price.

I would bet their post-launch numbers suffer though;  people browse Steam all the time and catch games post release.

But they still have their Steam release coming up too.

This quote is stupid, because that doesnt show how much BL2 sold and how much BL3 sold.

Im pretty sure BL3 on PC sold like shit.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:02:19 AM »
Maybe BL3 sold more than BL2 did in its first week.. so what

Digital wasnt as big then as it is now, and the remainder of sales for BL2 were after that week, Im pretty sure.

We still havent seen any legit figures as to how much it sold on pc
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
Hopefully they put out tetris effect for free. I'd like to play that in VR. Haven't redeemed any other games but that one would be day one.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
Maybe BL3 sold more than BL2 did in its first week.. so what

Digital wasnt as big then as it is now, and the remainder of sales for BL2 were after that week, Im pretty sure.

We still havent seen any legit figures as to how much it sold on pc

lol the fuck are you talking about?

We are talking about PC sales;  BL2 released way after PC was almost 100% digital.

And they didn't say it "sold more digitally in it's first week" they said it sold more...

Source me figures where it says it has sold more than BL2 on pc
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
No, that PR stated it sold more in 5 days than BL2 did in that same space, without mentioning a specfic split for PC<>consoles

Take-Two has announced Borderlands 3 sold 50% more copies in its first five days than Borderlands 2, which makes it the fastest selling 2K title to date.

To keep the Borderlands 3 hype train going, 2K threw out a bunch of figures including "fastest-selling game in 2K history" and "highest-selling title for PC." And some of these statements might even be true, including the fact that 50% more people bought Borderlands 3 in the first 5 days than they did Borderlands 2.

However, one number might have been a bit of a fib. 2K said that there were 5 million units of Borderlands 3 sold-in, which is not the same as 5 million units sold (that would be "sold-through," to use retail parlance). This means there are still copies of Borderlands 3 sitting on shelves out there waiting for homes.

This also failed to capture Wall St. interest as the actual sales figures were about what analysts expected. Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of 2K Games, saw its stock drop roughly 5% after the announcement.

TweakTown notes that 2K pulled a similar fast one on announcements regarding Mafia III back in 2016, saying that the game sold more than the 4.5 million copies that actually did in the first week.

And while Borderlands 3 may be the new fastest-selling Borderlands game, it still hasn’t hit the 10 million units that Borderlands 2 has sold over its entire lifespan. Furthermore, 2K didn’t provide any figures to showcase pre-sale numbers, which might be indicative of Epic Games Store controversy causing some players to wait for the Steam release in 6 months.

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:17 AM »
In a five day window.

Which doesn't really say anything does it. Who gives a shit about a five day window?

Why did their stocks drop if it sold sooo much?

What

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 06:36:10 AM »
riotous puts more faith in home baked statements with no further clarification from whichever source most benefits from putting a positive spin on them than any actual numbers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:44:01 AM by headwalk »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
BL3 PC sold more in its first 5 days than Bl2 did.  That comes from a publicly traded company so is unlikely to be a lie.

I think you guys overestimate how much these games usually sell at launch.   They sell many of their millions of copies at like $10-25 a pop or in collections not at full price.

I would bet their post-launch numbers suffer though;  people browse Steam all the time and catch games post release.

But they still have their Steam release coming up too.

BL3 selling well doesn't mean the EGS strategy is successful, nor does it mean it wouldn't have done even better if it launched on steam. The better BL3 sold, the worse all the other shit they money hatted did. 5 mil at launch, are we saying 1-1.5m for PC? And then, what, another 1 mil from sep-dec? That would mean that everything else sold fuck all since dec 2018 (since the $250m is since EGS launch). anyway...

The timed store exclusive strat is simply the wrong one imo. what's the point in trying to piss people off? Imagine if they took all the tens of millions they spent on exclusives, and did something positive instead. Look at how MS (another derided for this garbage) is repairing their image with gamepass. Now imagine if epic did free games weekly + a subsidised gamepass, or something else cool.

of course, i dont actually think epic get this. they dont want to create a platform like steam. they want to create some kind of corporate hellhole of a store under the guise of "muh 12% cut". they wont even allow user reviews.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tuckers Law

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
Would Tim Sweeney and his EGS people do such a thing, just go out there and lie about stuff?
 :doge

Fifstar

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 07:07:58 AM »

The timed store exclusive strat is simply the wrong one imo. what's the point in trying to piss people off? Imagine if they took all the tens of millions they spent on exclusives, and did something positive instead. Look at how MS (another derided for this garbage) is repairing their image with gamepass. Now imagine if epic did free games weekly + a subsidised gamepass, or something else cool.

Yeah, a subsidised gamepass probably would have been a much better idea. Instead of pissing of people with timed exclusives and attracting 90% freeloaders with their free games, they could have gotten real engagement and a could have dominated with a new business modell (pc gamepass wasn't really around when they started).

Dunno, seems like an obvious idea, maybe Sweeney was dead on taking on Steam head-first?

Also, while I don't care about the store/platform features (I just play my games) I don't understand why it's taking them so long to implement more features. They must have tons of resources and lot of requested features seem kinda basic? In general it's weird how litte user centricity they have, leaving the free games aside.
Gulp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
The free games arent even user centric, like hey we want to give our users some good stuff!

Nah it's just like trying to get people into his store and his ecosystem, not even as a freebie.

Nothing wrong with that obviously, but I wouldnt call it user centric either
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
ALL GERMANS GET IN HERE!!!

FARMING SIMULATOR 19 NEXT WEEK!!!

BisMarckie

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
:rejoice :rejoice

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »

LETS DO THIS

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »

LETS DO THIS

IRANIAN

NUCLEAR
SILOS
dog

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 02:38:25 AM »
thought id give my bros a heads-up that kingdom come is free starting tomorrow :success

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »
I am up to 45 games on their store w/o having ever downloaded or bought anything.  :doge

For a second I was mad I missed Farming Sim, but I must have grabbed.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 12:42:19 PM »
thought id give my bros a heads-up that kingdom come is free starting tomorrow :success

Man I tried this on GamePass and uninstalled like 30 seconds in.. lol

30 seconds lol

why even install it
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
Cmon bro at least try to make it through the intro.

The open world is awesome
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 03:58:20 AM »
lol
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »
better than some of their offerings but its also the only AC game I started and didn't finish heh

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
wow thanks epic
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 05:50:03 PM »
I thought Syndicate was considered one of the “good” ACs?
WDW

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
Pretty cool, I can add it to my collection of "ass creed games I now own but never bought" :idont

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
Just Cause 4 next week, will have to check out the tornadoplay and gasstationplay

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
I built this PC in I think 2014 :yeshrug

Maybe you should just play the 2012 game Syndicate instead. :smug
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2020, 07:27:48 AM »
Finished WWz in two days, was fun but if it wasnt free I would have raged lul

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2020, 12:10:58 AM »
Wonder how their refund policy is, I bought Siege and it's region locked so I can't play it in Japan. Fuck uPlay, will not be buying any more ubi PC titles ever

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
I bought JC3 for $4.50 on sale, will buy JC4 when it's under $5 as well.

Well, $0 is technically under $5. :trumps
©@©™