Author Topic: Moments that are burned into your brain  (Read 3683 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Moments that are burned into your brain
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
i know the trilogy isn't super popular here, but for me it's one of the standouts in the entire meduim. EA needs to pull their head out of their ass and make them available again.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/mass-effect-trilogy ?

bluemax

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2020, 11:07:42 PM »

Possibly the greatest mission in one of the greatest games ever. Better than anything Chris Roberts ever shit out.
NO

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2020, 11:09:20 PM »
i know the trilogy isn't super popular here, but for me it's one of the standouts in the entire meduim. EA needs to pull their head out of their ass and make them available again.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/mass-effect-trilogy ?

that bullshit version that doesn't have gamepad support and charges full price for all separate dlc? fuck that
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2020, 09:29:21 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Meeting this guy

biiiiiitch

I'm not a huge fan of the series but I'd love a remake of the first Mass Effect with updated combat, an improved inventory system, and actual fleshed-out sidequests instead. The first game definitely had the most interesting atmosphere and story, the other 2 went way too heavy on the action and shooting while almost completely gutting anything RPG.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
Anything in the game stand out to you at the moment as an issue?  I know the job system grind can turn some off...
Not sure... A combination of things I think.. The music seems horribly repetitive and uninspiring, and the art style.. albeit good, it's a bit too 'cute' to take as serious as the story seems to be. 

Downloading it again in my phone... Now that I think about it, I should maybe consider getting the PS1 version instead due to save states..  :thinking

Oh no. Please don't do the mobile port. The touch controls are horrible.

Just download PPSSPP to your phone, get the PSP port and patch it with the slowdown fix.
Ah, I remember the slow down now. Had the same issue with TO:LUCT.  I need to find that patch then. Good call. Thanks!

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58:01 AM »

The sheer destruction. Finally started churning my young mind on the devastating power of nuclear weapons.

(not my video but miriam really can eat shit and die, for the record)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
Anything in the game stand out to you at the moment as an issue?  I know the job system grind can turn some off...
Not sure... A combination of things I think.. The music seems horribly repetitive and uninspiring, and the art style.. albeit good, it's a bit too 'cute' to take as serious as the story seems to be. 

Downloading it again in my phone... Now that I think about it, I should maybe consider getting the PS1 version instead due to save states..  :thinking

Oh no. Please don't do the mobile port. The touch controls are horrible.

Just download PPSSPP to your phone, get the PSP port and patch it with the slowdown fix.
Ah, I remember the slow down now. Had the same issue with TO:LUCT.  I need to find that patch then. Good call. Thanks!

I don't recall Tactics Ogre having slowdown in the PSP port.

The slowdown is fixed in the mobile port (which is why it's hilarious that the PSN copy for the PSP port was never patched/"fixed.") but the controls make it clear the game was never intended for touch controls. It's similar to "This War of Mine" or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night where it's playable but it's clear it wasn't meant to be controlled with touch.

The sheer destruction. Finally started churning my young mind on the devastating power of nuclear weapons.

(not my video but miriam really can eat shit and die, for the record)

Best part of SMAC/SMAX is that you can nuke multiple times and it basically craters them into the ocean (and the world reacts in regards to algae blooms, water level rising, etc). Civilization (even up to 5, dunno about 6) never reacts to the ONE nuke you get per-game.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
Oh I like that post (not enough to give it an actual like though  :smug) as first impressions of receiving a console or playing a new console brings up some memories too.

First time I played the N64 was Mario Kart 64. In retrospect maybe not that great of an entry, but it seemed like such a drastic change from Super Mario Kart. I always remember trying to enter the cave on the beach level. I never pulled it off as a kid. I assume you needed a mushroom to get enough speed off the ramp into the cave opening, but I never pulled it off.

fake edit:

The fuck. You just needed to jump? Well ok then. At 0:30

----

PS2 - SSX. Holy shit. Best thing since Tony Hawk. Blew crap like Cool Boarders out of the water. Excellent showcase for the system. I mean Tekken Tag was my go to when going over to my friend's house and NHL 2001 was our main thing, but SSX was a next gen moment.
----

Xbox 360 - Whoa look at all these enemies on the battlefield in Kameo. Smoke grenades in CoD2. God I love those smoke grenades. And CoD2 was stellar.
----