Author Topic: XCOM: Chimera Squad  (Read 1987 times)

Eschaton

XCOM: Chimera Squad
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:38:41 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: XCOM: Chimera Squad
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
looks hot man but its xcom

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
DATS X-COM 3 BABY.

$10 too? In if the reviews are good (since the launch discount holds post-launch)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »
same. not huge on having aliens in squad, although I guess it allows more options?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
It looks really solid. Small scale/stakes x-com. That's cool to me. My biggest worry is it's probably short? Again though, 10 bucks.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

thisismyusername

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
There's no pre-load.

It's 18gigs, I know but still... :maf

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 01:57:20 AM »
Being a console Xcom fan  :goty
Margs

thisismyusername

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 06:48:07 AM »
Playing X-com on console... :goty2

thisismyusername

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »
In any case mod support is day one apparently (workshop already has an upload :doge ) so folks will probably work on a "Long War" style mod for this.

That aside, I'm enjoying it. Breaching is surprisingly a fun mechanic, since with the multiple options, you have banes and boons to choose. "First one through the breach gets marked, but at this location (other point) the first one through gains +15% aim, thereby able to hit a target from outside their range easier."

I do wish the game stated what Unrest will do when hit by max. I don't recall them talking about it in the tutorial other than "just try to prevent unrest lol" which is something I'm surprised that 2K/Firaxis, a AAA company, isn't able to fix before launch.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 09:46:09 AM »
Xcom plays perfectly fine with a controller  ::)
Margs

thisismyusername

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »
Playing X-com on console... :goty2

Playing X-com on controller... :goty2

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »
I played Xcom, Xcom2, and Divinity OS2 on PC, and I preferred all of them with a controller over kb/mouse.

thisismyusername

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
Playing X-com on PC with controller. :goty2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you don't know by now, I'm fucking with you guys. I don't care how you play it, but lack of mods really hurts console X-com.
[close]

I'm not sure how to handle having only 6 members of the 8 so far and only having 1 slot for research. I'm used to X-com 1/2 where I can just stack a shit ton of scientists and have advanced weapons early game. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »
this game is dope. very fun.
reckt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »
Playing X-com on PC with controller. :goty2

If you don't know by now, I'm fucking with you guys. I don't care how you play it, but lack of mods really hurts console X-com.
[close]

I'm not sure how to handle having only 6 members of the 8 so far and only having 1 slot for research. I'm used to X-com 1/2 where I can just stack a shit ton of scientists and have advanced weapons early game. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge

time to learn tactics!

thisismyusername

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:23 PM »
Fuck that, I'm researching the guns as fast as possible. I haven't even researched defense which will probably bite me in the ass soon. :lol :doge

The snake is so tsundere. :uguu

The Muton and "Godmother" units just decimate nearly everything with the starting shotgun so far, so it's going to be interesting to see how many folks they put the fuck to sleep with tranq rounds equipped with the better shotguns.

thisismyusername

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 12:37:21 AM »
The first "boss" of the former X-COM faction. :whew

Having to shutdown the teleporter while dealing with like 6 enemies and the boss that keeps popping up, hitting one of your teammates and then popping back down to where they can't fire on him. :lol :doge

First of the three factions done.
[close]

So since that battle is won, the games map is now going to have 2 for Anarchy increase, 1 for situations increase (to 2) and keep the same mission ignored +2 anger for the district. Thankfully, I have level 1 security (the middle one that lowers 2 anger or whatever it's called on Fridays) and using the "lower anger in a district" and "freeze anger in district" abilities means I just now need to research getting the security teams on the map to level 2/3 to get a MASSIVE information boost (since I monopolized the map with that) and lower anger while continuing to research "Master Work" guns by getting Elerium and money for the Master Work guns ASAP.

The laser sight and scope are pretty devastating otherwise. Get the Muton and "Godmother" units with the shotguns upclose or mid-range and it's GG for most enemies so far. :lol

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 02:44:14 AM »
I play xcom on my ipad.  8)

thisismyusername

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »
I play xcom on my ipad.  8)

Playing the horrible Chinese port of X-com on mobile... This one is sincere: :goty :goty2 :goty :goty2 :goty :goty2

kingv

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »
X-com? More like Chi-Com hurddurrr!

Glad peeps are liking this. I will probably cop it.

thisismyusername

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
Second of the three big-bads down. Finally nearly done with Masterwork of all the base weapons.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge Still haven't researched armor. :doge :doge Team I'm trying to level up to cap so I can drop them and level the last 2-3 for my main-team are a little behind, so I'm nearly dead in some missions as my medic/Torque is maxed so I have her training right now to get her stats buffed. :doge :doge :doge :doge

Games really good (IMO), but it sorely needed some balance in regards to training/research/Spec Ops speed-ups if you are past your 4-squad limit. You're capped to 8 (of the 11) members in your team in the game, and 4 of them are basically sitting "idle" otherwise unless you research a certain topic that'll let you FINALLY use all 4 instead of 3 for side-stuff.

X-com? More like Chi-Com hurddurrr!

Glad peeps are liking this. I will probably cop it.

My dude, the 2K China port of X-com is horrible. Disappearing walls, disappearing cursor/movement. I suffered the Velveta port of that and would not recommend that (or the mobile) port to anyone, ever.

kingv

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
This is pretty good but I'm getting a ton of crashes.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 10:52:24 PM »

part of the classic day 1 xcom experience

thisismyusername

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »

Better than it eating your fucking loadout.

Yes, I'm mad. Even if it wasn't Epic weapons (THANK FUCK).

Thankfully, it's a noted problem. But still: Really fucking annoying and the only way around it is to use credits (which I'm poor in right now so I had to cheat it) and buy an additional android/robot to get around. Problem is, this won't work with pistol users. So RIP there.

To enable the console:

You must first add the following as a command line parameter to XCOM :
-allowconsole (if you add "-autodebug" too you can start a game with almost all items )

Right-click the XCOM 2 shortcut (might need to make a copy of the Xcom.exe to do this), select Properties and add it at the end of the "Target"-field so that it looks something like this: \XCOM Chimera Squad\Binaries\Win64\xcom.exe" -allowconsole -autodebug

Press tilde/~ in game to get the console (obviously).

useful cheats :

giveMeTonsOfResources [amount of ALL the resources you want: The three on the bar. You can't get just credits it seems. :/ So I went with like 100-200 to not break it]

This will break the enjoyment ones
GiveFieldTeam x

PromoteAllMax

giveAllItems xxxx

unlockAllResearch
[close]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:36:53 AM by thisismyusername »

thisismyusername

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 07:15:06 PM »
Holy shit, these last story missions. :whew

Don't be fast-forwarding through the story, I guess. :lol :lol :lol :doge I still have/had some research to do and training to do. My anarchy meter never filled because I was pretty fast with missions. But these last few, don't go in with Tranq rounds. Go in with damage and intent to kill. You'll know what I mean when the final of the three investigations are done. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
Finished.

It was good fun for $10. But the imitative system needs a lot of work. It becomes more useful later in the game, but when you're able to 1-2 shot 2-4 enemies of like 6 in the breach mode, there's very little reason to care about it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »
if you guys are going xcom crazy phantom doctrine is on sale 80% off:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/

thisismyusername

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
if you guys are going xcom crazy phantom doctrine is on sale 80% off:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/

Shark gave me that for free before this sale. But my impressions are "it's alright, but it's really not worth the cash/time." Which is a shame, as Cold War X-com was right up my alley. But the fact it doesn't explain ANY of it's systems (and there's a manual patched into the game now but no tutorials/etc) really hurts it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Yeah I've only ever heard mixed impressions but at that discount I figured some might be willing to chance it.