Author Topic: Persona 4 Golden $20 on Steam! Available Now!  (Read 11622 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Persona 4 Golden $20 on Steam! Available Now!
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
The Persona series really likes to state the obvious  and repeats it over and over again. Persona 4 is especially guilty of this.
The killer is throwing people into the TV.

That's right, but how is the killer throwing them into the TV?

I dunno senpai, but I'm sure they're it has something to do with the Midnight Channel

The Midnight Channell.... we have to stop them before the fog comes

That's right! When the fog comes people die

That fog... does it have something to do with the midnight channel?

x100. Pretty maddening.

Just finished it for the first time today. Good game, but kinda peaks at Magatsu Inaba. I also wish I didn't know the big twists ahead of time. I'm gonna play p5 now

:dead

But yeah. I think they do that expecting people to not follow the case closely (Kanji's) when the rest of us are like "uh-huh, ok, we know that. Just do your theories or whatever and let me go into the dungeon already."

I'm up to Mid-July, so I'm halfway through the game IIRC.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2020, 01:28:37 PM »
I think this endless repetition of basic information is their way of ensuring that both a younger audience and people who don't have much time to play can pick it back up and know what to do.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

thisismyusername

« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
The first time going through I got the bad ending because I didn't know who the perp was. :doge

How the fuck? It's readily apparent given they show up in the most convenient timing. It's as bad as the infamous
Remy don't look, Persona 5 spoiler
"Pancakes."
[close]

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2020, 12:02:33 AM »
The first time going through I got the bad ending because I didn't know who the perp was. :doge

How the fuck? It's readily apparent given they show up in the most convenient timing. It's as bad as the infamous
Remy don't look, Persona 5 spoiler
"Pancakes."
[close]

This was a risky click, because while I got pretty close to the end the first time I played it, I didn't finish plain ole P5. I did get past that reveal though, and on a replay it is pretty funny how bizarre that scene is.

I'm reflecting on P4G, and can't help but feel I missed something when I played it. One of the things I liked about p3 I mentioned already in this thread that the whole thing is thematically and aesthetically super tight. The themes of the game are woven into mechanics, the classes you attend in school, and the overarching plot of the game.

I was reminded of this in P4 when
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The P3 occult teacher guy gives you a lecture about Izanami and Izanagi.
[close]
Which i thought was one of the only interesting lectures in the whole game. As the rest are stupid bullshit from a woman dressed as a pharoah and a guy with a fucking handpuppet. I guess most of them are themed around common misconceptions, or gotchas but it feels more like the game is trying to trick you instead of some cool addition to the theme. At least in P5 the lectures are themed around whoever is the current "target" of the PT, or the concepts that show up elsewhere like cognition, which while some are still boring feels better to me than the disjointed lessons in P4.

I get that the game is about finding the truth, but the social links don't really touch around that either beyond stuff like characters should be honest with themselves and not try to be someone they're not. Which is bottom of the barrel grade school story telling stuff. The only ones of these that really worked for me, was Kanji rejecting toxic masculinity and accept that non traditional males are just fine, actually and Naoto vs Gender Conforming Ideals, who is kind of the female version of Kanji's story even if her link is mostly just filler.

The focus on the mystery means that most of the "true" meaning of the story has to obfuscated so the player works it out themselves, which is again, a bummer.
The first villain reveal is still pretty good because you see that character throughout the game, and it's a bit of an oh shit that makes sense moment. But even then, although his new social link in golden makes it a little clear about what kinda guy he is and explains he's world view better, it still has to keep up the facade that he's a normal person for most of it.

The second one is alright, but it happens SO LATE in the game that it barely leaves anytime to talk about the implications of this person's actions other than skimming it. Isn't it kinda interesting you, adachi and nametame were probably all carrying the "main character" power? The game think it's worth like 1 dialogue box of text lol.
[close]
IDK, in general I think the game would have been better without the mystery aspect.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:17:11 AM by remy »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »
The last bit of the game really drags after you beat

Adachi/the hidden boss
[close]

Part of that is probably because I fucked up and didn't max Marie's s link so I think I missed out on an extra dungeon. WELP.
yar

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
The last bit of the game really drags after you beat

Adachi/the hidden boss
[close]

Part of that is probably because I fucked up and didn't max Marie's s link so I think I missed out on an extra dungeon. WELP.

Ah, interesting. So In Golden things continue even after
you defeat the real big bad boss. Gas station dude? It's been forever since I played vanilla 4.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
No, was referring to

Adachi and the big dumb eye thing you fight at the end of December, Izanami is still the soooper secret boss but also I mean there's Margaret and now Marie
[close]

It just seems to drag on forever, I think part of that is I'm just ready to be done with the game.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »
Margaret was always in the game. Even in the PS2 original. Same as Elizabeth.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
Why sell it for $20 years later when you can sell it for $60 on launch day

:trumps
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »
But seriously they better be getting Switch ports ready post haste, no reason not to just dump everything on the Switch, those people buy fucking anything
yar

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:06 AM »
no switch port would be crazy, they'd be leaving a shit load of :money on the table
(ice)

thisismyusername

« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
Sega will "aggressively" focus on PC ports after Steam strength during lockdown
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-08-19-sega-to-aggressively2

(Image removed from quote.)
Sega will start "aggressively" porting games from its back catalogue to Steam, due to the strength of digital PC sales during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Sales of the PC port were "significantly higher than expected"
"Under such direction, we would like to take multi-platform rollout in account and prepare the PC version and others from the start."

That said:

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
Fatlus stuff on PC day one. :rejoice
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2020, 12:03:14 AM »
Is there a way to treat audio in this game like you can with Persona 5? Like voice lines advance without having to press a key? So I can sit back and watch the game during character dialogue? I thought auto-text might do that but nope. Kind of annoying to have keep pressing a button once a character is done talking.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Unless it's bugged, auto-text should be able to work on voice lines. It worked on Vita for sure.

Huh maybe it is. Kind of annoying.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
So SMT IV for PC when?
What