Author Topic: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | Next Gen is Here!  (Read 3375 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | Next Gen is Here!
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
Game is launching tomorrow on Gamepass, who else here is excited?

Im pretty hyped for it but I wonder how it will run. Preload is up.. 150 gb 😅

a 10/10 from IGN

Masterpiece they say
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:06:31 PM by MMaRsu »
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | Next Gen is Here!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
150gb :neogaf
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:10:01 PM »
Will play it on Xbox when it’s out on there ;)
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »
150gb :neogaf

Just uninstall Modern Warfare and BAM

400GB free
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »
:hyper

almost changed region to start DL but eh. hopefully I like it as much as I want to .

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »
In what region can you already play it and how easy is it to switch?
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
Australia probably
(ice)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 01:53:07 PM »
NZ, just system settings if on gamepass apparently.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
 :o
What

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
Went to pre-load, saw 150gb

looked at my SSD free space

walked away  :goty2

That is...a lot. Will clear some stuff out at some point this week I guess.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »
Well I'm currently downloading it!

For some reason (probably that the MS store is shit at downloading anything) the game has it's own executable which boots like as soon as you start downloading the game. Then it says play. I was like whoah. But then it asked me to dl 90GB in the game lmao. So ok Im doing that now
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:02:55 PM by MMaRsu »
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 11:15:14 PM »
added my 3rd ssd recently (1 tb this time, $65 usd on sale 8) ) so i can install new things without deleting half finished old things  :lawd  :brain
◕‿◕

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 11:56:46 PM »
Being that I only have an RX 580, can somebody try squawking 7500?

Well I'm currently downloading it!

For some reason (probably that the MS store is shit at downloading anything) the game has it's own executable which boots like as soon as you start downloading the game. Then it says play. I was like whoah. But then it asked me to dl 90GB in the game lmao. So ok Im doing that now

Apparently, after the 90 gigs, there's another 50 as an update. So it should still be close to 150GB.

I don't think they have preload technology yet.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 12:03:14 AM »
So can we crash into the Pentagon or not? :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 03:25:14 AM »
LMAO Im getting fed up im just trying to take off from Lukla airport in a plane and I have a decent takeoff then after 2 minutes in the air it says I stressed the aircraft too much and I crashed?

BUT I DIDNT I WAS FLYING STEADY WTF

3 times already???? A BUG?
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 04:30:05 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 04:33:03 AM »
Ugh fps between 40-50 average on a 2600x, 1060GTX 3gb and 32GB ram..

I really need that 3000 series soon! I hope a 3600 GTX will solve my issues

Game looks gorgeous though even on medium
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »
lol I woke up during night and figured I would start DL and still @ 72% RIP

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
150 GB  :mindblown
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Even though The Netherlands is very flat which likely gave me an fps boost I got like 40fps on Ultra in Amsterdam!

Thats was really cool to see from the sky

I love this game
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
Even though The Netherlands is very flat which likely gave me an fps boost I got like 40fps on Ultra in Amsterdam!

Thats was really cool to see from the sky

I love this game
Did you find Wilders' secret hide-out or any Zwarte Pieten?  ;)
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
i tried for lunch without knowing the buttons and ended up in a lake just off the runway.  :lol

2nd attempt went better, was able to make it around a bit. performance on ultra seemed fine but there were no clouds or real cities around. will play around with over the next few days. :hyper

thetylerrob

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
I want to play this after work, is it going to be possible with a 10keyless keyboard? Are there simple gamepad controls or something?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 04:00:23 PM »
it was fine enough on pad for assisted flight, I imagine fine with control + KBM for most part. controls fully assignable, there looked like a ton of 'RB+A', 'LT+X+dpad left', etc. for more in-depth stuff that I didn't mess with.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
this is awesome, I think I may need to nudge a touch down from ultra and/or cap at 30fps, dipped into the high 20's in full clouds buzzing downtown Houston.  :lol

at higher altitudes 50-60 FPS (capped at 60).

thisismyusername

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »
Got it installed. Gonna try to get some in tonight with KB+M.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:51 PM »
So can we crash into the Pentagon or not? :doge

QUESTION: ANSWERED

https://twitter.com/Obstacle_2/status/1295796953154904064

:juicy

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute

Apparently, according to that thread: You just bounce off and go back into the air with a score deduction. :juicy

I'm sure a mod will fix that though. :salute

but MS never fixed Wingdings
✈︎🗏︎🗏︎☠︎✡︎
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2020, 11:49:59 PM »
Yeahhhh, I did not have a good first experience with this.

Insanely long load times.
Controls make zero sense on the kb (why are you using numpad to steer and not AWSD, why is ENTER rudder left and 0 rudder right)
Yoke controls seem weirdly laggy in the tutorials

Game crashed :(

Also is there no way to adjust the thrust without manually grabbing the throttle and moving it up & down? If I play on a controller can I just make the thrust L2/R2 triggers?

Gonna skip the tutorials and just try flying around to check out the graphics I guess.

Bebpo

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 12:20:08 AM »
Next up tried doing a flight from LAX, was real-time I guess so was at night. Tried to figure out the take off controls on a controller and got in the air but everything was pitch black and I had no idea where the ground was and crashed. It kept telling me to pull my landing gear up with left stick and kept beeping but I kept pressing the left stick in and nothing happened.

So I tried doing the take off tutorial with a controller. Was nice, controls a billion times better than with a kb+m, took off and was flying around and then the tutorial bugged and broke and it stopped giving me any new things to do and so I said fuck it I'm gonna try to land without any tutorials and not knowing what half the shit does with a controller. Turned around and slowed down and landed on the Sedona runway and hit the brakers and flaps down and stopped and felt like I won and quit.

Going to try flying on the globe somewhere where it's not PITCH BLACK NIGHT currently (I'm assuming there is a way to turn off real-time time of day?).

Also framerate is pretty crap on my 2080ti. Was fine with vsync on because it would down-render the resolution but with vsync off and at full resolution it's baaaaad. I need to figure out what to turn off to get a decent framerate.

And the external camera HUD honestly is way more readable for someone who is not a hardcore flight enthusiast.

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 12:33:05 AM »
Yeah, this game is running at like 15fp in the real world map and looks kinda shitty too (weak IQ). I think this is not for me. Too much effort to get it going currently. Maybe in 6 months it'll be smoother.

Bebpo

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 12:40:28 AM »
Actually if the game ran at 60-120fps it'd look pretty nice. The framerate really hurts.
Also this game needs VR stat.

Landings seem surprisingly easy though with a controller. Did some of the landing challenges no problem. Take off seems fine too if I can figure out how the fuck to retract landing gear on controller.

Bebpo

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 01:22:28 AM »
Well I did the whole fly to my house and work thing and it was neat though trying to pause with the active pause caused my plane to then beep beep beep black screen malfunction you have overstressed your plane.

I like flying in Just Cause more than this  :lol

I played the old ones back in the day but never got to into them and was more into playing Tie Fighter and Wing Commander. This is neat, but not for me. Time to delete and get my 150gb back.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »
 :lol :trash :lol

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 03:06:32 AM »
:lol :trash :lol

Microsoft Flight Simulator  :nope

Pilotwings  :miyamoto
Margs

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 09:17:34 AM »
Bebpo what resolution were you playing to get 15fps on a 2080ti? I am only playing @1080p but ultra looks great and above 30 most times when I had riva up. I had no crashes aside from it freezing on initial DL once.

I did not like the cockpit view in the default plane as am more about the views and actually seeing surroundings instead of displays. There seem to be better visibility in a lot of the other ones, but I didn't get too into it. As far as night you don't see shit unless over a city or something but that's just kind of how it works IRL.  :lol

You can adjust anything (weather, time, cloud cover, etc) by mousing to the top of the screen and hitting the cloud icon I think? there is a toolbar that comes up, not sure how to get to it with controller alone.

I agree with you on the controls, straight up bad and unintuitive. I get they are catering to simmers that have had same layout for 20+ years or whatever, but an alternate/modern option is needed, along with better tutorials.

I had picked up a yoke and tried it out and when it was good it was NIGHT AND DAY from a controller, but the default bindings are total ass. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the trim once it got out of sync and I would just start drifting unless I fought for it, which wasn't fun. I tried changing in options with no luck...was tripping out. it was like setting up a midi controller in a DAW. I got fed up and went watch basketball.

Still, overall had some fun and was impressed in some places, if not totally blown away. Also, this is day one so giving slight benefit of doubt that some of the issues and gripes will be worked out.

Bebpo

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »
Was playing at 1440p, it's mostly the cities and anywhere with buildings that just destroy the framerate. Which also includes airports when taking off anywhere that's not a strip  :lol

I tried turning down a bunch of settings and didn't notice any framerate improvement so who knows what effects anything. Also I think gsync is broke as the fullscreen isn't exclusive fullscreen but borderless fullscreen so gsync doesn't work. When I turn v-sync on it's a lot smoother and when I use TAA for anti-alaising the image quality is pretty clean and nice, but yeah like terrible framerate in airports and low ground and then about 30fps everywhere.

I watched some videos of people playing and saw you can adjust that stuff like weather and time of day real-time which is neat. Also I like that you can tell the AI to take over at any time which helps if you're going to crash. I think the game needs a photo mode because active pause is not handled that great.

But mostly the game just needs a ton of performance optimization. I gotta imagine playing this at a silky smooth framerate would be nice. Then again it's a flight sim with no real objectives so you're either into that or you're not after the initial wow factor wears off. Also it takes actual real time to fly anywhere so sometimes the city/place you want to fly over is like 15 mins real time away from the nearest airport and you're just sitting flying forward for a whiiiiile. Needs a speed up/FF option if there isn't one already.

thisismyusername

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »
I played the old ones back in the day but never got to into them and was more into playing Tie Fighter and Wing Commander. This is neat, but not for me. Time to delete and get my 150gb back.

I mean... it's a flight simulator... isn't not gonna be Just Cause arcade flying, Justin. :doge

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

actually caching some of the bigger cities seems like may be the way. Vegas here I come.

Also it takes actual real time to fly anywhere so sometimes the city/place you want to fly over is like 15 mins real time away from the nearest airport and you're just sitting flying forward for a whiiiiile. Needs a speed up/FF option if there isn't one already.

you can plop yourself wherever at the map I think.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:26:01 PM by Akala »

Bebpo

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll re-install this at some point when they're discovered all the tricks to improving performance and other oddities.

thisismyusername

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
It's funny how Justin Bebpo hates the real-time travel distances while enjoying FedEx'ing about in Death Stranding. I mean it's the same thing, just Flight Simulator puts it on a slightly longer pace, because that's what the fanbase wants to do: Fly in real-time. There's a lot of pilots, hobby and otherwise that use  Flight Sim (and others) to practice or "wind down" on their off-time.

Beb's hasn't even scratched the autistic level of Air Traffic Control mandates in the online modes. :doge :doge :doge

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »
Vegas strip looked pretty bad up close, random vegetation everywhere and the mapping was pretty far out of date (hello LINQ). I may have crashed into the trump hotel.  :trumps

at this point it's apparent that some of the trailers are  complete BS and cherry picked, but at a decent altitude the illusion really works. NOLA area looked great this way. I did an aquatic landing on Lake Pontchartrain and then cruised the coast.

I am not sure how long/much I will honestly play this, and it may be something that is just ongoing/to loop back to, but digging it. It's calming when it isn't infuriating.

thisismyusername

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:35 PM »
I think it's way early from what I'm hearing. MS put it out because they didn't want to delay it, but it sounds like a lot of the things like the streaming the whole planet/Bing maps! is really early.

Maybe in a year or three on a deep Steam sale, it'll be worth it like Flight Sim X.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
I mean it's a good time to release something like this. biggest open beta ever.  :awesome

thisismyusername

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »
I mean it's a good time to release something like this. biggest open beta ever.  :awesome

https://twitter.com/liamosaur/status/1296305264870662144
itm

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
Why are you posting a picture of riotous laying on his back?  :confused
Margs

thisismyusername

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2020, 06:58:54 PM »
Yeahhhh, I did not have a good first experience with this.

Insanely long load times.
Controls make zero sense on the kb (why are you using numpad to steer and not AWSD, why is ENTER rudder left and 0 rudder right)
Yoke controls seem weirdly laggy in the tutorials

Game crashed :(

Also is there no way to adjust the thrust without manually grabbing the throttle and moving it up & down? If I play on a controller can I just make the thrust L2/R2 triggers?

Gonna skip the tutorials and just try flying around to check out the graphics I guess.
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
 :lol

I haven't ended up playing this as much as I figured I might.

I think I have figured out I am not huge on the actual 'sim' aspect but do like responsive flight bits. I mean I am ok with simmy stuff in moderation, but you have to be in mood. Earlier I flew from Dubai>Abu Dhabi and it was pretty :snore once outside the city, but flying from Versailles > Paris and around there was awesome. Gliding around mountains in the south of France was nice as well.

thisismyusername

Rahxephon91

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 08:45:39 PM »
:lol

I haven't ended up playing this as much as I figured I might.

I think I have figured out I am not huge on the actual 'sim' aspect but do like responsive flight bits. I mean I am ok with simmy stuff in moderation, but you have to be in mood. Earlier I flew from Dubai>Abu Dhabi and it was pretty :snore once outside the city, but flying from Versailles > Paris and around there was awesome. Gliding around mountains in the south of France was nice as well.
Yeah I just wanted to fly over cities and cool places.

Bebpo

thisismyusername

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2020, 10:32:55 PM »
Because it's not his set-up. :goty2

but you're ignoring the sheer  :o ness.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 02:44:55 AM »
Bruhs I cant wait till I get a 3070 or 3080 and hit this game again
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
seems they will be giving free updates where they go in and detail off of the procedural maps bit by bit. I checked Tokyo and didn't see much of the 'trees in roads' that plagues a lot of other cities (Paris!).

Also thought this was kinda cool...