Author Topic: So, let's talk about battletoads  (Read 1724 times)

mojovonio

So, let's talk about battletoads
« on: August 23, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
I... This might be one of the biggest swings I've ever had on a game.

Starting off, it was decent. Combat was ok. Dialogue was decent. Figured it can't be too long of a game may as well beat it.

3 hours later, the game becomes a hodgepodge of shitty version of genres... And I'm done.

Literally, half way through the game one level is a shoot em up. One is a platformer. Than back to the shooter, then back to the platformer, then the shooter again, then the platformer, then the shooter, then a shit version of keep talking and nobody explodes.

And that's when I put the controller down and gave up.

What in the ever living fuck were they thinking?

All of these sequences go on waaaaaay too long too.

This is one of the worst games I've played this Gen. Easily.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: So, let's talk about battletoads
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
If it started as a platformer I might have played longer then 10 min

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Literally, half way through the game one level is a shoot em up. One is a platformer. Than back to the shooter, then back to the platformer, then the shooter again, then the platformer, then the shooter, then a shit version of keep talking and nobody explodes.

sounds like the original battletoads
pcp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
Nintendo used to have the Seal of Quality.

Xbox Studios is basically the Seal of Mediocrity

From what I've seen they've also dumbed it down so a 3 y/o can play.
Microsoft really has no clue what made any of the classic games good or interesting and why bringing back Battletoads like this was a horrible idea in the first place.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »
I hate that stupid Battlefields and "is it a platformer? Is it not a platformer?" shit it started.

Like Earthworm Jim 2 has the same shit. The Flying King. SMH.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
I feel like this game was basically memed into existence. Did anyone actually sincerely remember Battletoads fondly?
Hi

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
i think for a lot of people it's this neat mythical impossible game from their childhood. a ton of people seem to love the game, despite how obnoxiously punishing it is.
pcp

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
I feel like this game was basically memed into existence. Did anyone actually sincerely remember Battletoads fondly?

uh kinda, like I remember enjoying the graphics and the moves feeling satisfying and the weird levels (not that I ever got past like level 5 or so) and stuff.
QED

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »
I remember the pause screen music and playing up to the Turbo Tunnel.
Ejecting the cartrdige (as that shit ran worse at 50hz) and popping in Double Dragon II instead.

Now the Megadrive game (Battletoads in Battlemaniacs) was much better and so was Battletoads vs. Double Dragon.
🤴

nudemacusers

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »
was battletoads ever particularly good? seemed kinda zzz to me even back in the day, just another variation of 'lizards with muscles' that was poppin in the 90s.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
Battletoads and Double Dragon was pretty fun. I always played as a Double Dragon though
WDW

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 02:54:43 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »

Back in the day, it was a technical showpiece, with cool character animation, and varied level designs. But the punishing gameplay requiring intense memorization and very little room for error doesn't really hold up.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
I don't think it's particularly a good game but I think the animation is great and the humor is... ok zoomer humor

Not sure what's to talk about. Thanks GamePass
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
The original Battletoads was fine for the time. I played it a lot and have memories of it. Yeah it was trial & error af

There were some expectations for this new one because of the concept that MS/Sony/Nintendo oversee their 1st/2nd party titles to some degree to make sure they don't release just total shit. Still happens sometimes though, like this game. Though I couldn't even make it past the first level before bailing so can't judge the whole thing, but man the beat-em-up part is total trash.

I don't think it's particularly a good game but I think the animation is great and the humor is... ok zoomer humor

Not sure what's to talk about. Thanks GamePass

The animation is ok, just feels disconnected from the actual combat so it's weird. Like the big guy's charge move that turns him into Anakaris from Darkstalkers. Cool animation, but doesn't seem to actually connect as an attack. It's like the animators and gameplay designers were not talking to each other.

The humor is terrible, made more terrible that you can't.skip.anything.

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
Also I hadn't been paying any attention to this game before release and when I saw the copyright come up and it said RARE, LTD., I just assumed this new one was made by Rare which set some minor expectations of a non-shit-game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
GamePass is just the Netflix of videogames and Microsoft first party games are the Adam Sandler movies of which 1 in 10 is actually surprisingly good.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »
Yeah, Gamepass actually has the same issue as Netflix and back when I was a kid and everyone was trading burned cds of every PS1 release. There's so many games to play it's not hard to get in a rhythm of just trying every game for like 15-20 mins and then moving on unless they're amazing.

Like I tried Darksiders Genesis and did the first stage and it was ok, but nothing amazing and so pretty much got my $0 game pass fill and moved on.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »
Battletoads is an early prototype for that does everything yet good at nothing formula. Game starts out as like, a beat em up I think? And flips between platforming and chase sequences and what not? It doesn't even utilize variety in any meaningful way. Contra - its contemporary - has variety while sticking within its own genre. Contra goes from horizontal shooter to vertical. It's still shooting, just within different planes. Battletoads is nothing like that. The beat em up sections aren't as good as River City Ransom, but the platforming stuff doesn't touch Mega Man or Mario.

Ninja Turtles nes games are better than Battletoads.

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
Battletoads is an early prototype for that does everything yet good at nothing formula. Game starts out as like, a beat em up I think? And flips between platforming and chase sequences and what not? It doesn't even utilize variety in any meaningful way. Contra - its contemporary - has variety while sticking within its own genre. Contra goes from horizontal shooter to vertical. It's still shooting, just within different planes. Battletoads is nothing like that. The beat em up sections aren't as good as River City Ransom, but the platforming stuff doesn't touch Mega Man or Mario.

Ninja Turtles nes games are better than Battletoads.

🤴

Himu

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
Still better than battletoads
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 12:40:27 AM »
Battletoads was a graphical showcase and super impressive looking for the time, and the visual and mechanical variety of the levels were pretty neat as well.  I also think the games notorious difficulty kind of actually helped along with the graphics in keeping it in peoples minds all this time.  Which is unfortunate, as the game itself is frustratingly shit compared to the superior but less remembered Battletoads/Double Dragon.

Boredfrom

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »

uh kinda, like I remember enjoying the graphics and the moves feeling satisfying and the weird levels (not that I ever got past like level 5 or so) and stuff.

Same. The game was fun but I was never close to finishing it.