Author Topic: Why do android internet browsers suck?  (Read 1190 times)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Why do android internet browsers suck?
« on: August 29, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
I thought I had the solution for the longest time. Firefox was awesome until an update from two days ago. Ruined everything that made it very good. I will explain.

1. In the past: One could organize tabs and move them around. Got a dozen or so tabs? Oraganzize them to your liking. Just like on the desktop. How obviously great.

Now: Gone

2. In the past: Hey it sure would be great if I could let youtube audio play in the background without killing the cellphone battery when I'm not even interested in the video aspect of said video. Oh if I go to desktop mode and play the video it still continues and buffers when I put my cell phone into the lock screen/off? Awesome. Makes too much sense.

Now: Video only buffers like a minute ahead and will pause even unless you have that specific tab open. Yes, even if I am in firefox mobile the video pauses if I have it in the background, but still in firefox. WHY!? JESUS CHRIST WHY!!!!????

3. Add-ons sure are great. Sweet, firefox on mobile lets you have add-ons. Something that Chrome doesn't do cause  durrrr moneyyyyyy.

Now: WTF is this? Where is the support for add-ons? Yeah my uBlock is still working, but I can't search for any add ons other than these pre-selected 6? What in god's name is this bullshit? And honestly, I tried multiple other browsers including Opera and they don't have add-on support on the cell phone version. Why? Why are desktop browsers amazing and just killing it like a bunch of Chads, but the android versions are utterly pathetic worthless Virgins?!

4. In the past: On the bore when you click "more" for the other emojis, it would work as it should. Opens up another tab. You click on the emojis you want. They appear in the previous tab that you were writing in. Yep. That makes sense. Essentially just like on the desktop.

Now: Broken. Firefox blocks the new tab twice before giving in a third time. However clicking on the emojis does nothing. It will not place them in the previous tab where I was writing. As though the tabs are completely unable to communicate. I tried this on Opera and it worked. So another Firefox issue. Sad.

-----
The worst part is that Firefox on mobile was absolutely amazing up till this new update. I don't know who this new update is supposed to serve. Why this update is somehow better. It's crap. And nw I'm looking for a browser that will do 3 and 2 specifically.

But honestly, point 1. WHY DO ANDROID BROWSERS REFUSE TO LET YOU ORGANIZE THE ORDER OF YOUR TABS!!!!!!??????????? JUST WTF!?

Himu

Re: Why do android internet browsers suck?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
firefox is fine
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
:badass
(ice)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
firefox is fine

It was amazing 2 days ago. Now it may as well be like every other lackluster browser on Android. Hopefully they reestablish these features that have been stripped away. I don't understand why Firefox of all browsers would take several steps back.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
Try the samsung browser I hear it has add ons

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »
read the title as internet bowser  :bowsette

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
Try the samsung browser I hear it has add ons

Will do. I'll report later during the week if it clears up at least a few of my issues from the OP.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
Or try Kiwi Browser- based on Chrome, but has addons.
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
I have no problem with default Chrome. :idont Sounds like a YP, not a MP.

Himu

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
Mine was fine.

And then it updated and...what the fuck.

Why would you put the address bar and tabs at the bottom of the browser?

Um.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
Okay, there's an option to put it on top. It's fine again.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
This update sucks. I swear performance is worse.
IYKYK

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
I think it's actually slightly brisker, but I'd trade that in for the old version.

Himu

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 08:23:39 PM »
I mean performance as more than speed. On this page alone replies have clipped, on reddit it's hiding entire comments and when I read them it throws a tantrum.
IYKYK

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
Hmm... I haven't had those kinds of issues. Really just the stuff I mentioned originally. But I guess such bugs and glitches will get squashed with time.

It's annoying though, yeah.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
Using Firefox right now on my phone- nice and fast for me.  No issues.  Ublock Is the only extension I have installed.
ど助平

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
Using Firefox right now on my phone- nice and fast for me.  No issues.  Ublock Is the only extension I have installed.

Yeah it's the only extension that I had installed that still works. Thank god too. The other two I had are currently not compatible. One of them being the Chrome UX for Google (Basically makes it so when you are using the google search engine it isn't semi gimped. Minor gripe. You'll mostly notice it when doing image searches and find you are lacking a few UI features when using google imiges on Firefox mobile without said add-on).

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
I use samsung browser, and what really pisses me off is that it seems to lack URL memory.

Like on desktop, I type "th" and it knows I want thebore.com

On Samsung browser, half the time it doesnt. Like I have to type "thebor" before its like "oh, you want to go to the website you visit every fucking day?"
:O

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
Just came back to report that after some time, Firefox on android is where it's at again.

Wish I could move tabs around (like swapping the 8th tab into 3rd position and so on), but some of the issues I had at the start of the big update are no longer a problem.

Haven't really checked if they expanded the extension support again. I was using uBlock and that was one of the few extensions they allowed right from the get go of the overhaul update. It's also pretty much the only extension I care about for mobile browsing. So there's that.

Firefox android - OK U.S.A.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 11:43:56 AM »
I agree Echorin, couple quality of life features I miss and hope they have a chance to add in updates but the ad block is a killer feature. Even for YouTube, I just watch it on the Firefox browser because it is so annoying waiting for ads.

nudemacusers

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 01:20:05 PM »
cuz android sux there i solved ur dilemma.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
I agree Echorin, couple quality of life features I miss and hope they have a chance to add in updates but the ad block is a killer feature. Even for YouTube, I just watch it on the Firefox browser because it is so annoying waiting for ads.

It's a weird thing, but I tend to still use Chrome for most sites, and then if a shitty, ad-ridden one comes up, will load it in Firefox.  And I use Youtube in Firefox too to stop the ads.  I should check out Kiwi again and see how it's doing.

Hopefully Google allows for extensions at some point.  They have it on Chrome OS so don't see why it's not on Android.  On that, I use Chrome for nearly everything on my Chromebook because it's the full desktop browser with extensions- Firefox is the mobile version.
ど助平