Author Topic: Crusader Kings III - A game of thrones  (Read 1093 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Crusader Kings III - A game of thrones
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

:preach
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Crusader Kings III - A game of thrones
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »
I went through the tutorial yesterday morning and played a bit and then deleted it. I've never been able to get into the fun of these kind of 4x strategy games. Probably because I never played Civ as a kid.

Then I got an itch to give it another try today so I'm re-installing it now and will try again.

My problem was I wasn't sure what to do once I could do anything. Wasn't even sure what my goals were besides having an heir and expanding outwards which basically seemed like just picking a spouse and going to war with neighbors. But I get there's a billion other things to do, I just don't understand when/why you do them.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 06:23:22 PM »
Crusader Kings has a lot of arcane stuff going on and is much less beginner friendly than something like Civ. You have to be into the historical roleplaying to enjoy it (think of it as a cross between Civ and the Sims) and look for ways to make your own fun, it's definitely not the sort of game everyone will enjoy.

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
Spent 2 hours as Iceland away from everyone else just trying to figure out how to run a stable country. Couldn't figure out how to send sheriffs to a place so had a lot of lawlessness.

After my first character died, my heir struggled and by my third character I was bored so I tried to murder/imprison everyone on my council, all the mayors of my kingdom and everyone in my family. Didn't go so well and the other cities declared independence. Then I spent all my moneys building armies and took them all back by force and killed them all.

Then was still kinda bored so bailed at this point.

It's neat, but definitely not the kind of game for me.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »
They're sandbox games, mostly you have to set your own goals. The achievements do guide you a bit as to the mission trees. EU4 is usually the "easiest" to get into but I've heard they made CKIII very friendly to newcomers by having an actual tutorial.
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
I've taken over about half of Ireland [going off from the tutorial start], but my oldest son got killed in battle. :tocry
dog

pilonv1

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
You should marry his wife then, if he had one.
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
©@©™

Switters

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »
If you want to party for your life right out of the gate then Northern Mongolia is where they make concentrated meth.
troll

Switters

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »
I've taken over about half of Ireland [going off from the tutorial start], but my oldest son got killed in battle. :tocry

Dumbass Brian Dies in every battle unless you forbid him to be a knight. He kinda sucks.
troll

pilonv1

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »
Sounds like Enrique in EU4, god tier shit ruler
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »
I died of cancer at the age of 66, but I managed to hold on long enough for my grandson [my dead son Brian's child] was old enough to take over. Lost my territory on the northern tip of Ireland, but sent my armies and retook it. Then I established myself as the High King of Ireland and put a few unhappy earls in their place. Also took a piece of land in Scotland and another piece in Wales. So, I'm probably the second strongest British leader behind the current king of England, who I'm allied with because I got my son married to one of his daughters.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 12:06:12 AM »
How do marriage alliances work? I get how to marry people, but I don't understand how to expand territory through diplomatic means like marriage. When I played it was basically just go to war with anyone to take territory because I didn't understand how diplomacy worked from the tutorial.

pilonv1

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »
If it's like EU4 you marry some other kings daughter and hope he dies then you can make a claim on their land.
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »
Yeah, I've got several land claims through marriage [or other family links], though none of them have panned out yet.
dog