Author Topic: (For Cindy, mostly): Another "forum titan" is gone; SomethingAwful's Lowtax sold  (Read 1208 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Quote from: The site
Lowtax has signed the paperwork - it is done. Something Awful LLC assets now belong to me. I know this has taken a long time, but it's been a long time coming before that. I hope you will all find me to be a responsible and conscientious steward, the likes of which this site has never seen. I will certainly have more to say but I have a ton of shit to do immediately. Congratulations everyone - this is a good day for Something Awful.

I have taken down the store. When it comes back up, the money will go to the site, as it was always intended to. This should take 1-3 business days and I will post another announcement when it is up.

----

When will we get the Shower Rape allegations like 'Lore? :doge

Propagandhim

Wonder how many hotdogs he sold that site for

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
It's kind of fitting that the one guy, from the early internet sites, that sold out at the exact right time was the guy who ran the 'Jump the Shark' website.

Himu

You obviously don't read SA. SA is hardly gone. One of Lowtax's exes made a thread with a picture of two of his previous exes holding up a sign saying congrats Jeffrey! Then three of the first four posts were his ex girlfriends/wives dunking on Lowtax. The entire forum is congratulating the new owner while getting their laughs in Lowtax being owned. Then there's the fact posters, unlike at gaf, kept posting and PUSHED LOWTAX OUT forcing new ownership. People didn't buy new titles or anything for months because "I refuse to support a domestic abuser."

Unlike at Gaf, which didn't force its owner out, SA showed gumption proving once and for all the SA is the best forum on the internet.
IYKYK

Himu

Tell me if you can view this thread and join the laughs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943546

IYKYK

Himu

You obviously don't read SA. SA is hardly gone. One of Lowtax's exes made a thread with a picture of two of his previous exes holding up a sign saying congrats Jeffrey! Then three of the first four posts were his ex girlfriends/wives dunking on Lowtax. The entire forum is congratulating the new owner while getting their laughs in Lowtax being owned. Then there's the fact posters, unlike at gaf, kept posting and PUSHED LOWTAX OUT forcing new ownership. People didn't buy new titles or anything for months because "I refuse to support a domestic abuser."

Unlike at Gaf, which didn't force its owner out, SA showed gumption proving once and for all the SA is the best forum on the internet.

Gumption is making sure the disgraced owner gets paid handsomely on the way out?

How was he paid handsomely?
IYKYK

Himu

Oh I thought you were talking about donations to Lowtax. Yeah, it was sold. And? People pushed Lowtax to sell it after his domestic abuse incident came up. People spammed the entire forum begging Lowtax to sell because they refuse to support an abuser.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron

It only took years.
There's a good chance you can buy Neogaf for a few pennies in 2026.
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Ty Ty will be desperate to give that shit away soon enough, probably well before it doesn't pay for itself to run :maduro
(ice)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
There's a good chance you can buy Neogaf for a few pennies in 2026.

Finally. My chance to make Stormfront 2 for pennies on a dollar.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
SA is a lot better than they used to be. If you're a legit curmudgeon/asshole/racist you will get bullied out fairly quickly now. Some great deals in their marketplace and most of the few gaming discords I still participate in are goon based.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

ToxicAdam

The thing I loved about SA was you could be into some really weirdo niche thing (a video game or a tv show) and you were going to find 10-20 other people that were also into it or willing to give it a try. But now reddit (kind of) fills in that gap.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
The thing I loved about SA was you could be into some really weirdo niche thing (a video game or a tv show) and you were going to find 10-20 other people that were also into it or willing to give it a try. But now reddit (kind of) fills in that gap.

This sounds like most general forums?
:confused
ど助平

Himu

Nah. On Reset or here for example I made a doll thread for dolls and people spammed it about how it's gay or how they don't like dolls. On SA you would be banned for making dog shit posts, detracting from the discussion, and just being a general turd burglar. At SA, if I make a doll thread in the appropriate forum, it will draw other doll fans to that thread.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

Yea, forums morphed into that but I'm speaking in the past tense, early internet (1999-2005). SA was the place you'd go for that kind of thing.

So, if i were into a Eurojank RPG and a TLC reality show, Something Awful would likely have a thread on both things. Or if I started the thread, there would be 10+ people that would instantly want to converse about it.

Himu

SA is still like that if you're not big on reddit
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
i'm fairly active on the goon cycling slack and have all my fav games and niches bookmarked on the site, so i'm very happy it'll be sticking around. :)