Author Topic: Do people actually put air in their tires on a regular basis?  (Read 1218 times)

Bebpo

Do people actually put air in their tires on a regular basis?
« on: October 25, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but outside of extreme circumstances (i.e. tire is visibly low almost flat looking), do people who are not car enthusiasts top up their tires with air on a regular basis?

I've been driving cars for 20 years and I don't think I've ever put air in my tires. I mean I'd get my oil changed every 6-7 months and they'd always check the tire pressure so maybe they were topping them up if a bit low, so maybe that was why. I also never had a working tire pressure sensor in a car before to alert me there was any problem.

Until my new car. Was driving it today and tire pressure light went off so my first thought was shit I got a flat from some debris on the road somewhere. I mean I just bought the car at the end of February, how can it already have maintenance issues? Wtf! Then I pulled over and looked it up and I could actually see the PSI on all 4 of my tires and they were identical at 37 PSI. I figured it's not like you'd get a leak in 4 tires at once, so I looked it up and apparently tires lose about 1 PSI a month and then when it gets colder about 1 PSI per 10F drop and on average you're supposed to top off your tires about every six months.

My tires are 42 PSI cold recommended, and was driving hot for about an hour when I checked them and they were 37 PSI. It's also dropped 20F from in the 90s for the last 3-4 months to 60-70s in the last couple of days here, so that probably affected it a bit.

Waiting for the tires to cool down now to get a cold reading. But it seems like cold -> hot is usually about 3 PSI? So maybe they're down to about 34 PSI, I'll see.

Anyhow I guess I'll go put air in the tires this week and get them back to 42 PSI. It's just weird because 20+ years of driving and I never realized this was a regular maintenance thing. I always thought it was something you did when you had tire problems.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Do people actually put air in their tires on a regular basis?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
When the dashboard says it's time, it's time.

Welcome to 1998.

Btw, is usually the spare
:O

Clockwork5

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
I don’t think I’ve ever made it through a winter without having to top off my tires. Before I had a car with sensors, I used to check the pressure once a month. Having properly inflated tires is actually fairly important for things like fuel efficiency and critically important for things like traction in the rain. Fun fact, the tread on a tire acts as a water pump as the downforce of the weight of the car pushes the water through the tread. If your tires are low the pump mechanism stops working.

Also, if your tires are visibly low they are critically low and are significantly affecting the fuel efficiency and safety of your car as well as the life of the tire.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 10:38:23 PM »
yes, but I also used to worry about the tires being low just off visuals  :doge so I got used to checking just from paranoia  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
Also apparently you can get your own tire inflator and not have to go to the gas station?

Thinking about grabbing this and then can check and top off every few months from home:
https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Power-Inflation-Deflation-Avid/dp/B07RM5D9C3/

I don’t think I’ve ever made it through a winter without having to top off my tires. Before I had a car with sensors, I used to check the pressure once a month. Having properly inflated tires is actually fairly important for things like fuel efficiency and critically important for things like traction in the rain. Fun fact, the tread on a tire acts as a water pump as the downforce of the weight of the car pushes the water through the tread. If your tires are low the pump mechanism stops working.

Also, if your tires are visibly low they are critically low and are significantly affecting the fuel efficiency and safety of your car as well as the life of the tire.

Yeah, I live in So Cal where it never rains and is always dry and hot desert. Probably why.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »
Yup; when it gets cooler, your tires are going to lose some air and you should get some back again if you drive for a long enough period of time.  I got tired of going to Quick Trip and battling others to get to the free air pump and got one of those smaller tire inflation things off Amazon a couple of years ago.  It runs off the car battery and while it takes a bit longer than the gas station, it's worth it to not have to drive somewhere for air, especially when it's cold and/or shitty out.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
just drive to a tire shop, have them check and air up your tires for free  :snob
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:27:31 PM by filler »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 11:25:28 PM »
BTW air is free in California. If it has a coin thing, go inside and demand the free air or youll call the cops
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 12:26:07 AM »
Yup; when it gets cooler, your tires are going to lose some air and you should get some back again if you drive for a long enough period of time.  I got tired of going to Quick Trip and battling others to get to the free air pump and got one of those smaller tire inflation things off Amazon a couple of years ago.  It runs off the car battery and while it takes a bit longer than the gas station, it's worth it to not have to drive somewhere for air, especially when it's cold and/or shitty out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/

Yeah, ended up going with this one after reading a bunch of car forums. Pretty cheap considering that it's something I'll be using for years.
And yeah, runs off the cigarette lighter plug.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:20:32 AM »
37 on a model 3 is pretty low, I think the recommendation is actually 45 beps, but that could be "eco" not "comfort" at 42.

As others have mentioned proper pressure is important for proper traction, efficiency, safety. Over inflating is also not good.

In cold climates you will need to do this more often ofc as explained .

I already put air in my model 3 yesterday after 1 month and 2k km.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 03:27:33 AM »
Also the car drives so much better with properly inflated tyres, the handling, everything.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 03:29:22 AM »
thread title gives me rman vibes  8)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 03:30:37 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/

Yeah, ended up going with this one after reading a bunch of car forums. Pretty cheap considering that it's something I'll be using for years.
And yeah, runs off the cigarette lighter plug.

I have a compressor somewhere but busting it out for this is more hassle then driving up to the station and using theirs.

Fifstar

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 05:05:34 AM »
I just check air pressure before longer rides, mainly when we go on vacation or when we visit my parents. Maybe 2-4 times a year.

For me the main reasons to check air pressure are security and high load (again mainly important when we go on vacation). With most cars you should change air pressure when the load changes greatly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:12:42 AM by Fifstar »
Gulp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 05:59:13 AM »
Before longer rides a little checkup is always a good idea, especially with ICE cars. Oil etc.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 06:52:36 AM »
I have one of these ~$100 compressor/jump starter things from costco:

https://www.costco.com/3-in-1-1000amp-cat-power-station-with-jump-starter-%2526-compressor.product.100672966.html

The jump starter is handy every few years maybe when you need it due to an aging battery.

And yeah, checking tire pressures is basically supposed to be a biyearly thing as the temperature changes. It's convenient to also rotate your tires at the same time.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
yeah. i dont really have a system for it, but probably once every month or two while at the gas station anyway

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
 :doge

that's always just been kind of a thing for me even with newer cars. Kind of instilled behavior to check it before long trips. With a newer vehicle usually less of an issue but it noticeably affects the ride.

Banking on gas station pumps is such a pain in the ass, they are always either broken or in use.

I have a small air compressor, topping off takes like 10 minutes...one of the best adult purchases I think I have ever made.  :lol

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
Yes.

I have a tire gauge in the glove compartment of both cars and I check the PSI every couple months. You'll often get pressure changes when there are swings in temperature.
野球

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
i check mine every couple of months
and i have a footpump
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
I haven't put in air since the pandemic. But yeah, air is free in CA, but I only do it when I get gas for the car. You can also buy a tire inflator that plugs into your 12 volt or USB if you want to avoid going in and asking.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
you can also try while the car is walking if you can't keep up  ;)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
I’ve always had a pressure gauge in the glove compartment. Dad said it is a requirement. Didn’t check as regularly as I should.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
yes

not really

Will check tires tomorrow.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »
This is a good reminder to check the tires!

We do a bit of long-distance driving, so its good to have your PSI ship-shape. I do notice that pumping the tires does improve the handling of the vehicle.

Bebpo

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 09:39:54 PM »
Put air in the tires today with the $30 pump. Was quick and easy and did a quick ride and seemed a little better though it might be placebo (34/35 PSI -> ~41/42 PSI). Just glad it was easy, will keep the tires topped every months.

Spent the rest of the gardening with Shears and taking down trees and that was a hell of a lot tougher.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
It's also important to check your torque after changing winter/summer tires after about 100km. And to make sure your lugs are properly torqued in the first place.
Fish<

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 11:02:40 PM »
I bought that same pump the other day when you linked it, gonna use it tomorrow

Bebpo

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »
I bought that same pump the other day when you linked it, gonna use it tomorrow

Worked great! It kind of does this funny rumbling on your ground like a jackhammer for the few mins it's pumping and moves around a little, but otherwise easy to get on/off, set to the PSI you want and works pretty quick (took maybe 60 seconds for 34->42.5). I read you lose about 1 PSI from taking the valve in and out so it's good to set it 1 above what you want. I tried .5 above and at 42.5 my tire pressure sensor was reading 41 when I gave it a drive. Will do 43 next time.

I picked that one after finding a car forum where a couple people recommended it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 12:21:17 AM »
I check the air in the tires for all my cars once a week and top up as necessary. A habit I learned from riding a motorcycle as my main transportation and it does wonders for making your tires last longer.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2020, 02:31:45 AM »
Put air in the tires today with the $30 pump. Was quick and easy and did a quick ride and seemed a little better though it might be placebo (34/35 PSI -> ~41/42 PSI). Just glad it was easy, will keep the tires topped every months.

Spent the rest of the gardening with Shears and taking down trees and that was a hell of a lot tougher.

Thats def not placebo but a real difference in how it handles.