Author Topic: Am I the asshole in this situation  (Read 2989 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Am I the asshole in this situation
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:25:46 PM »
So I had a pretty liberal, laid-back English teacher in high school who a bunch of students followed on social media after graduation. I graduated several years ago now but she posted a picture of her toddlers in Halloween costumes the other day and I liked the pic.

I have this other app that tells me when someone’s blocked me on Instagram, and a few hours after liking the pic, I get this notification that this teacher blocked me. I laugh about it and bring it up to some old high school friends who follow her, and they confirm that the page is still up (so I’m 100% sure shes blocked me at this point). I thought maybe it was because I’m a dude, but I had 2 male white friends confirm to me that she didn’t block them after liking the pic.

She and I had semi-regular correspondence over the years via email (we talked about Serial and progress made on the Adnan Syed case as more info came out), so I hit her up at 1am via email and write like 2 paragraphs about how im devastated that she would do that to me (the whole email is clearly in jest, but I also wanted to call her out for what I perceived as a slight against me). I ask if she was creeped out that a brown man liked a picture of her children on social media, because I kinda figured that’s what it was? Like I don’t know why she’d feel the need to do that unless deep-down she thought I was some sort of creep even though I had seen 10 or so other likes from students I graduated with.

She replies the following morning denying that she’s blocked me and insists she doesn’t even know how to block someone on Instagram. I’m pretty sure she’s lying but I give her the benefit of the doubt and I just don’t respond, acknowledging that the first email was a stupid thing to send and that she was 100% entitled to block whomever she pleases. I genuinely don’t care that much, despite having written the email. My feelings were a little bruised because a teacher I thought was cool probably thought I was a creep or something, but I quickly got over it and didn’t feel like it warranted another response.

Two more days go by and she follows up *again*, this time saying that she reread my email and that it’s contents was entirely inappropriate, and that I’m a misogynist for sending that to her. For the life of me, I cannot identify misogynistic about my email. She’s always been the type to be outwardly liberal, and I think suggesting her behavior might have been racist upset her.

What y’all think

EightBitNate

Re: Am I the asshole in this situation
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
Is this story real or nah?

It’s real. I thought about posting screenshots but decided against it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
is she hot ???

EightBitNate

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 04:33:19 PM »
is she hot ???

Absolutely. Spitting image of Jessica Chastain.

Beezy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
Eh... you didn't handle this situation well.

EightBitNate

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
Is this story real or nah?

It’s real. I thought about posting screenshots but decided against it.

I believe you was honestly just wondering cuz you post random troll stuff sometimes...

That's some strange behavior bro lol

If she was someone I know I’d see again some time in the future, I’d have been entirely against it. But I knew that I could call her out and not worry about the awkwardness of seeing her face again so I said “what the hell?”

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »
Sure. That last bit about the fact that she might have been a little "*gasp*" about "how dare they would accuse me of racism". I suppose I could see that getting a person bent out of shape if it's a big part of their image to not be perceived as being racist. Though I don't really know them or the relationship between the both of you. Cause on one hand it sounds like you guys are sort of close, but hey for all I know maybe not close enough to where your email didn't land the way you might have expected.

That's all I can really say. Might just be an unfortunate misunderstanding that spiraled out of hand.

edit:

Or this might be it

It's probably more that she assumes your behavior stems from misogyny than the actual contents of the email being misogynist... because what you did was pretty fucking weird and if she's attractive she's gonna assume your weird behavior is probably related to that.

EightBitNate

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 04:40:37 PM »
It's probably more that she assumes your behavior stems from misogyny than the actual contents of the email being misogynist... because what you did was pretty fucking weird and if she's attractive she's gonna assume your weird behavior is probably related to that.

I just find it odd how I accuse her of racist behavior, she insists it’s all a misunderstanding, and then I don’t clear her of this accusation, so she follows up days later to call me a misogynist.

Sure. That last bit about the fact that she might have been a little "*gasp*" about "how dare they would accuse me of racism". I suppose I could see that getting a person bent out of shape if it's a big part of their image to not be perceived as being racist. Though I don't really know them or the relationship between the both of you. Cause on one hand it sounds like you guys are sort of close, but hey for all I know maybe not close enough to where your email didn't land the way you might have expected.

That's all I can really say. Might just be an unfortunate misunderstanding that spiraled out of hand.

Right. I’m kinda at this point and I just don’t think I’ll respond any further.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 04:44:08 PM »
she probably is a racist and belongs to the skreetz

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 04:46:19 PM »
is she hot ???

Absolutely. Spitting image of Jessica Chastain.

he was asking about the baby.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »
I guess you can revive this thread when you and her have a talk at your 10 year anniversary high school class reunion  :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
I know when I have confronted people who blocked, banned, or ignored me, it has only improved the situation in the past.  Not sure what happened this time but I'd try confronting her again to get to the bottom of this.   

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
you should bump that bitch out of your myspace top 8 as payback.

jorma

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
y you block me, u racist?

no u a sexist!

yeah, sounds like social media alright  :lol

samir

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Why are you creeping on your high school teacher?  :kobeyuck

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
ESH
QED

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »
write like 2 paragraphs about how im devastated that she would do that to me
You should've written a poem
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 06:22:02 PM »
So I had a pretty liberal, laid-back English teacher in high school who a bunch of students followed on social media after graduation. I graduated several years ago now but she posted a picture of her toddlers in Halloween costumes the other day and I liked the pic.

I have this other app that tells me when someone’s blocked me on Instagram, and a few hours after liking the pic, I get this notification that this teacher blocked me. I laugh about it and bring it up to some old high school friends who follow her, and they confirm that the page is still up (so I’m 100% sure shes blocked me at this point). I thought maybe it was because I’m a dude, but I had 2 male white friends confirm to me that she didn’t block them after liking the pic.

She and I had semi-regular correspondence over the years via email (we talked about Serial and progress made on the Adnan Syed case as more info came out), so I hit her up at 1am via email and write like 2 paragraphs about how im devastated that she would do that to me (the whole email is clearly in jest, but I also wanted to call her out for what I perceived as a slight against me). I ask if she was creeped out that a brown man liked a picture of her children on social media, because I kinda figured that’s what it was? Like I don’t know why she’d feel the need to do that unless deep-down she thought I was some sort of creep even though I had seen 10 or so other likes from students I graduated with.

She replies the following morning denying that she’s blocked me and insists she doesn’t even know how to block someone on Instagram. I’m pretty sure she’s lying but I give her the benefit of the doubt and I just don’t respond, acknowledging that the first email was a stupid thing to send and that she was 100% entitled to block whomever she pleases. I genuinely don’t care that much, despite having written the email. My feelings were a little bruised because a teacher I thought was cool probably thought I was a creep or something, but I quickly got over it and didn’t feel like it warranted another response.

Two more days go by and she follows up *again*, this time saying that she reread my email and that it’s contents was entirely inappropriate, and that I’m a misogynist for sending that to her. For the life of me, I cannot identify misogynistic about my email. She’s always been the type to be outwardly liberal, and I think suggesting her behavior might have been racist upset her.

What y’all think

:goty2

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
Why are you creeping on your high school teacher?  :kobeyuck

He wasn't.  He was creeping on her toddler. 

thetylerrob

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
I ask if she was creeped out that a brown man liked a picture of her children on social media, because I kinda figured that’s what it was?

Why did you think that's what it was? Has she done or said racist shit before?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »
You're not an asshole, you're a fucking weirdo.

EightBitNate

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
I ask if she was creeped out that a brown man liked a picture of her children on social media, because I kinda figured that’s what it was?

Why did you think that's what it was? Has she done or said racist shit before?

No but she comes across as a fragile white liberal and I think the accusation of racism might’ve been spot on which resulted in her defensive and as a male minority I’ve always felt some over-sensitivity with white people and their families.

And

And...

BORN TO DIE

WORLD IS A FUCK

Kill Em All 1989

I am trash man

410,757,864,530 DEAD COPS

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 07:30:19 PM »

:dead

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 08:01:56 PM »
sorry man yeah I probably would've gone the uwu route

"hey Mrs. K I think you might've accidentally blocked me, dunno if you hit the wrong button or what??  you were always one of my better teachers and its been fun seeing how y'all have been doing.  if I've done something to offend you let me know since that absolutely was not my intention"
Uncle

EightBitNate

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »
sorry man yeah I probably would've gone the uwu route

"hey Mrs. K I think you might've accidentally blocked me, dunno if you hit the wrong button or what??  you were always one of my better teachers and its been fun seeing how y'all have been doing.  if I've done something to offend you let me know since that absolutely was not my intention"

Lol I’m so bad at decision making. This is so much more eloquent than what I sent haha

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
Fuck it, post what you sent. I wanna analyze this shit.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
"Whoa, I think we got off on the wrong foot here!  Since you emailed me back twice about this I must've bothered you with what I said, I really didn't mean to.  Maybe I didn't come across right, when I said I was devastated I mostly meant it as a joke.  Though it did catch me off guard to be blocked, since we've emailed back and forth a few times in the past.  That was all I meant by it, that I was confused as to why it happened.  I'm sorry if I caused any offense since none was intended.  Hang in there Mrs. K.  I've heard teaching is pretty tough during this whole covid situation."
Uncle

EightBitNate

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:50 PM »
"Whoa, I think we got off on the wrong foot here!  Since you emailed me back twice about this I must've bothered you with what I said, I really didn't mean to.  Maybe I didn't come across right, when I said I was devastated I mostly meant it as a joke.  Though it did catch me off guard to be blocked, since we've emailed back and forth a few times in the past.  That was all I meant by it, that I was confused as to why it happened.  I'm sorry if I caused any offense since none was intended.  Hang in there Mrs. K.  I've heard teaching is pretty tough during this whole covid situation."

This is closer to what I said in my follow-up email. Told her the email was mostly a joke.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »
oh, you said "I just don't respond" so I didn't think you actually sent a second email

was trying to draft you a nice apology that might lead to the make up sex  :-[
Uncle

EightBitNate

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »
oh, you said "I just don't respond" so I didn't think you actually sent a second email

was trying to draft you a nice apology that might lead to the make up sex  :-[

Lol I responded a little later. But I’m pretty satisfied with the response I gave her.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
preeetty funny she followed up her first response a day later with an accusation of misogyny

sounds like you're both pretty spaz tbh
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »
made for each other tbh  :heart

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2020, 09:38:49 PM »

First, so she blocked you: ^^^^^
Second, the accusation of racism was a little over the line, even if you intended it as a joke.

Third:

But being fair: Everyone is a weirdo in their own way.

Just accept that she doesn't like you as much as you think she did. Every teacher is like that.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2020, 09:40:44 PM »
i am interested to know how the email you wrote at 1am because you were devastated was also "clearly in jest" :dead

did you put lol jk at the end?
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 09:45:09 PM »
how often do you stroke your hog to her pics?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 09:55:34 PM »
there is nothing worse than a former student following you on instagram or something, especially if they were one of the weird ones (thebore posters goes into this category). of course i could just make it private, but you also want to get all the likes possible.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »
You used the "racist" card against a lib, that probably bruised them hard. She could only respond back with the "misogynist" one.  :thinking

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »
Ew

EightBitNate

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »
Ok we had a very mature conversation. She explained to me that she genuinely did not recognize my profile or picture (makes sense, I don’t include my actual name in my profile) but understood how I might be hurt and explained it was never her intention.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
the lesson here is never be nice to your students and definitely don't add them on social media after they graduate.
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 11:49:15 PM »
Nate showed me a picture and she didn't even look that much like Jessica Chastain.

:fbm

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 11:55:12 PM »
Get upset over high schooo teacher blocking you on instagram in 2020

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2020, 12:09:12 AM »
Ok we had a very mature conversation. She explained to me that she genuinely did not recognize my profile or picture (makes sense, I don’t include my actual name in my profile) but understood how I might be hurt and explained it was never her intention.

:picard
Margs

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »
I'd be upset too. A supposed liberal posting a picture of her kids in halloween outfits on instagram then blocking people who like it because the only explaination must be that they are pedophiles is some real sheltered white woman shit.

By blocking him she basically called him a creep. Which is ironic because as a teacher statistically she's more likely to fuck a child than Nate ever is.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »
Nate showed me a picture and she didn't even look that much like Jessica Chastain.

:fbm

More like Jessica Shitstain. :rodney

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »
She was still pretty cute she just didn't look like Jessica Chastain. He said "spitting image".

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
Sharing pics of her? Yeah she was right to block him

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2020, 12:34:18 AM »
It was a face pic ya creep, I wanted to see her alleged Jessica Chastain-liness

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2020, 12:40:46 AM »
how nate dizzle should have handled that dumb biiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch:

:rejoice

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
Share feet pics or gtfo
Margs

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2020, 05:47:41 AM »
One of my teachers in hs had the biggest titties for her frame but I don't know her first name  :stahp

nudemacusers

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2020, 06:30:34 AM »
this is how Creepy Stalker started
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 06:34:44 AM »
to expand: how you can write this story and not realize what a creepy inappropriate weirdo you come across as makes me question your fundamental decision making process and ability to comprehend elementary social cues, the kind of core development that should have been refined at age of 10 seems to be missing.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2020, 06:54:15 AM »
to expand: how you can write this story and not realize what a creepy inappropriate weirdo you come across as makes me question your fundamental decision making process and ability to comprehend elementary social cues, the kind of core development that should have been refined at age of 10 seems to be missing.
This is a video game board, sir.

nudemacusers

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »
This is a video game board, sir.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

EightBitNate

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2020, 01:07:22 AM »
She was still pretty cute she just didn't look like Jessica Chastain. He said "spitting image".

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2020, 03:53:53 AM »
So let me get this straight; You have an app that tells you when someone on instagram blocks you (1st yikes) and after finding out that your higschool teacher (2nd yikes) blocked you for liking a pic of her kids (3rd yikes) you asked your friends to lurk her page to confirm the photo is still up (4th yikes) then at 1 AM (5th yikes) you send her an email accusing her of racism (6th yikes).

You get 2 more yikes for genuinely asking if this is weird behaviour. So all in all 8/10 yikes. A solid B creep.

If you make an augmented reality game thread offering 60$ or a copy of FF15 for participants, you can get the full 10 yikes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2020, 02:47:34 AM »

This is a pretty important detail that you’ve left out. You left a like on a picture of a person’s kids, and didn’t have anything clearly identifying you by name. As a parent, my initial reaction would be wondering who is “liking“ pictures of my kids.

It also sounds like your initial mail describing how devastated you’re feel was intended as sarcastic. Sarcasm does not work in text most of the time, and especially doesn’t work when approaching a sensitive situation. If you want to really solve the problem, be real in your interactions with other people.

kingv

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2020, 11:43:08 AM »
Ask her if you can cash app her $20 to unblock you.