Author Topic: Astrology ain't real, but sometimes it makes you wonder.  (Read 1768 times)

Rman

Astrology ain't real, but sometimes it makes you wonder.
« on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
I guess I have some ppl in my life who are into this crap a lot. But when they describe my sign it's so on point. I know this thing ain't real, but man, what's behind it?

Also, this is not the future oriented stuff about that. That's obvious BS. Taking 'bout the traits of the signs themselves.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: Astrology ain't real, but sometimes it makes you wonder.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 07:57:43 AM »
So that's what the R in Rman stands for

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 08:05:18 AM »
Oh no you are close to a rabbit hole

Zodiac signs are self fulfilling prophecies

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »
Astrology ain't real, but sometimes it makes you wonder.

Does it, though?
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
i'm a big russell grant fan :trumps
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
I think traits of people born in certain months could have some truths to it.
What

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
if you are born in november that means your parents bow to the absolute cliche of fucking on valentine's day, they take holidays very seriously, they are more traditionalists and conservatives and will raise you as such

if you are born in march that means your parents are so horny they will even fuck on the hottest most uncomfortable days of the year and they are slightly unhinged but adventurous and will raise you as such

if you are born in late july then your parents are pagan spiritualists who smoked weed and fucked in a graveyard on halloween night and you will be raised to wear pentagrams proudly in school as your parents fight back against the administration unfairly singling you out for discipline which you probably deserved
Uncle

Rman

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 10:56:19 AM »

lol. i'm not reading crap about it or anything. just had a friend ask me my sign. this persons knows me well and it was on the number.  kinda nuts.  i still think it is BS tho.

it's a huge thing now online.  super popular. i did not know this lol.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:00:57 AM by Rman »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
Margs

thetylerrob

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
What is "real"

jorma

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
if you are born in november that means your parents bow to the absolute cliche of fucking on valentine's day, they take holidays very seriously, they are more traditionalists and conservatives and will raise you as such

if you are born in march that means your parents are so horny they will even fuck on the hottest most uncomfortable days of the year and they are slightly unhinged but adventurous and will raise you as such

if you are born in late july then your parents are pagan spiritualists who smoked weed and fucked in a graveyard on halloween night and you will be raised to wear pentagrams proudly in school as your parents fight back against the administration unfairly singling you out for discipline which you probably deserved

What if you were born on the first of september?  :doge

thetylerrob

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
What if you were born exactly 9 months after Ted Bundy was executed?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »

your parents engaged in an advent calendar of fucking, once every day in december leading up to christmas, your dad's idea of a "christmas gift" being an absolutely assured pregnancy by december 25, which is what your mother said she wanted more than anything else

you respect some traditional values you were raised with but with a dose of rebellion/skepticism due to your need to escape from your helicopter mom, and are still a bit naive from all the ways she tried to shield you from the world

your dad just wants to be left alone to watch sports and you inherited some of that attitude from him too
Uncle

jorma

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »

your parents engaged in an advent calendar of fucking, once every day in december leading up to christmas, your dad's idea of a "christmas gift" being an absolutely assured pregnancy by december 25, which is what your mother said she wanted more than anything else

you respect some traditional values you were raised with but with a dose of rebellion/skepticism due to your need to escape from your helicopter mom, and are still a bit naive from all the ways she tried to shield you from the world

your dad just wants to be left alone to watch sports and you inherited some of that attitude from him too

billandtedwoah.jpg

like i know astrology aint real, but sometimes it really makes you wonder  :mindblown

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 12:49:45 PM »

If you're born on June 11 it means your parents hate America.
dog

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

thetylerrob

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
I gave you one pity like. But it's only because I'm an Aquarius INFJ 5w4.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »
What if you ate born late or born early

Huh

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
You really have to wonder about the validity of something where a major tenet - Pluto being a planet - being completely wrong didn't change a single fucking thing.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
I’m a Gemini  :cody

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
Uncle

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
my mum is deep into astrology, like people would come over and pay to have their starcharts read when i was a kid and she couldn't hold down a normal job. she doesn't even believe in it, but likes the stories (english/theatre major) and essentially it just gives you a subtle framework to consider around your life. it abstracts psychology and uses suggestive writing to trigger certain feelings and give you a feeling of purpose and intent outside of yourself like jebus. it's all "fake", but with that in mind it's kinda fun and harmless.
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
also, my mum was real big on marianne williamson. they're very similar vibes  :doge

told her she should get on twitter to worship her orb queen

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1324580738705039360

:brain
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 01:19:57 AM »

lol. i'm not reading crap about it or anything. just had a friend ask me my sign. this persons knows me well and it was on the number.  kinda nuts.  i still think it is BS tho.

it's a huge thing now online.  super popular. i did not know this lol.

I used to read my horoscope daily in the paper ( lol print) for the lolz, i guess it has some entertainment value :)

My sign is also accurate (leo) but that is just coincidence.

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »

Imma Virgo :uguu

I'm sorry bb, I'm a leo. We're a cold match. I think Aries and Sagittarius are my best matches lol  :-*

daemon

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 07:49:20 PM »
I love something that we have in spanish called "horóscopo cabrón".

Here's my rough translation of Aries (me)

"You're the pioneer type and you think most of the others are idiots. You are impatient, have a bad temper and you scoff at advice. You have the gift of pissing off whoever crosses your path.

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!"

I could do the rest too, since mine is completely true

Or... link the possibly original version I found in english:

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »

I'm sorry bb, I'm a leo. We're a cold match. I think Aries and Sagittarius are my best matches lol  :-*

I look forward to blowing your mind on what a Virgo can be. ;) :heart

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 01:55:44 AM »
astrology isn't real?

woa, when did astrology change meaning? wtf

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
actually it is real

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »
You really have to wonder about the validity of something where a major tenet - Pluto being a planet - being completely wrong didn't change a single fucking thing.

Why would astrology care how science categorizes Pluto?

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 05:18:27 PM »

Why was Pluto chosen but not Eris? :thinking

#ErisRulesPlutoDrools

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 01:50:51 PM »

If the internal logic of your belief system is that there are 9 specific 'special' things that exist, and wherever they are positioned in relation to each other is meaningful, something turning out to be not 'special' should mean everything else has to be realigned, based on the systems own internal logic.

If the internal logic doesn't actually give a shit - or, hey, imagine we find that 'Planet X' people think might be in the solar system and we up the number of 'special' things to 10 - and it turns out all of those rules about whats special are completely arbitrary, you're not even making a pretense at an underlying science any more.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »
It’s only “not special” by a completely different school of thought, your post is dumb and I will not expound further

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
apply logic to ancient mystical arts/practices brehs  :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »
It’s only “not special” by a completely different school of thought, your post is dumb and I will not expound further

I mean, of course it has to still be 'special' for Astrology to still work, because it not being known about at all, then reshuffling everything to accomodate it as a planet, and then having to retcon all of that work back out again to re-accommodate its not-planet status, all in the span of less than a hundred years, might make the whole thing seem like total bullshit

apply logic to ancient mystical arts/practices brehs  :lol

all stories have to have internally consistent logic, whether that's for the basis of fiction, mythology, superstition or religion

Tasty

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
I'm not sure astrology ever took a hard stance in "these are the ONLY nine things in the sky, ever, forever, totally."

Which leaves some wiggle room. Clearly astrologists know there are billions of planets (or at least, more than 9.) Choosing an arbitrary amount of them and applying that to the X most luminous non-star objects in the sky makes about as much sense as any other modern religion, tbh.

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »
Aside from all that, older astrological practices and knowledge are probably held in higher regard by the faithful than whatever "the science du jour" is.

This becomes more clear if you've ever met an herbalist or a holistic medicine practitioner.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
Contemporary astrology is a 'soft reboot' of greco-roman divination that originated in the Victorian eras combination of treating everything as being probably scientific until it was proved otherwise, along with their fascination with spiritualism and an adherence to classical thinking, that also led to things like mesmerism and phrenology.

It can easily discount other planets as not having 'influence' because the 'source material' did not in fact know that there was anything to the universe outside of the solar system, and is also why the 'temperaments' of the planets conveniently match the classical deities for which they are named after. What you can't ignore is a new planetary body suddenly being discovered, when your internal logic is that due to proximity all planetary bodies have influence on the earth. The answer being that Pluto is a "subtle" influence, so "subtle" that it definitely counts because it has to, but also so "subtle" that it didn't automatically debunk the previous centuries beliefs by mere virtue of existing.

Like, if we discovered another sentient race from their own solar system, astrology would have to compensate for how their celestial bodies influence their lives and then decide if humans outside of the solar system escape the influence of the earthly astrological bodies or not and be subject to another systems rules.

Internal logics; you can stretch them, but not break them.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
I have only skimmed this topic, so forgive me if this is just more noise, but:

Does the argument you're trying to make account for the fact that people clearly believe all sorts of claptrap? I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

Let's make a list of why all the other signs SUCK.

Tasty

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »

Let's make a list of why all the other signs SUCK.

Done.

Aquarius: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the back of a speeding bus. Fill that void in your pathetic life by playing Whack-A-Mole seventeen hours a day.

Pisces: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus. You are the true Lord of the Dance (no matter what those idiots at work say.)

Aries: The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty-pound watermelon in your colon. Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep.

Taurus: You will never find true happiness. What you gonna do, cry about it? The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.

Gemini: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive flatulence. Your love life will run into trouble when your fiance hurls a javelin through your chest.

Cancer: The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the rest of the week face down in the mud. Try not to shove a roll of duct tape up your nose while taking your driver's test.

Leo: Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it to your boss's face, oh no. Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding, then wash it down with a gallon of Strawberry Quik.

Libra: A big promotion is just around the corner... for someone much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine -- remember that when your appendix bursts next week.

Scorpio: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming from an open window. Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.

Sagittarius: All your friends are laughing behind your back. KILL THEM. Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got hanging in your den.

Capricorn: The stars say that you're an exciting and wonderful person... but you know they're lying. If I were you, I'd lock my doors and windows and never, never, never, never, never leave my house again.

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »
Contemporary astrology is a 'soft reboot' of greco-roman divination that originated in the Victorian eras combination of treating everything as being probably scientific until it was proved otherwise, along with their fascination with spiritualism and an adherence to classical thinking, that also led to things like mesmerism and phrenology.

It can easily discount other planets as not having 'influence' because the 'source material' did not in fact know that there was anything to the universe outside of the solar system, and is also why the 'temperaments' of the planets conveniently match the classical deities for which they are named after. What you can't ignore is a new planetary body suddenly being discovered, when your internal logic is that due to proximity all planetary bodies have influence on the earth. The answer being that Pluto is a "subtle" influence, so "subtle" that it definitely counts because it has to, but also so "subtle" that it didn't automatically debunk the previous centuries beliefs by mere virtue of existing.

Like, if we discovered another sentient race from their own solar system, astrology would have to compensate for how their celestial bodies influence their lives and then decide if humans outside of the solar system escape the influence of the earthly astrological bodies or not and be subject to another systems rules.

Internal logics; you can stretch them, but not break them.

You may find it inconceivable, or at the very least a bit unlikely that the relative position of the planets and the stars could have a special deep significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only you. But let me give you my assurance that these forecasts and predictions are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence so you would have to be some kind of moron not to realize that every single one of them is absolutely true.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
you got me imagining a world where the results of astrology are actually scientific somehow and exist independently of whether people have discovered astrology or not

I'm picturing some researcher saying "well this is weird, we know there are 9 planets but I'm picking up on 11 astrological categories, I wonder what the cause is for this discrepancy"

and then later two more planets are discovered, proving the theory true
Uncle