Author Topic: Thoughts on the future of video game visuals  (Read 2680 times)

Bebpo

Thoughts on the future of video game visuals
« on: November 14, 2020, 03:18:58 AM »
Ok, I've tried enough stuff on PS5 and latest PC games that I feel like I have a good non-tech analysis feel for the "next-gen" leap.

tl;dr, the non-cross-gen stuff i.e. Demon Souls & Astrobot feel like a generational leap beyond anything else on console or PC and the sooner the industry can move beyond cross-gen, realize consoles aren't ready for anything more than baby ray-tracing and only in 30fps modes, the more and more amazingly impressive stuff we're gonna see and that's when PC will get to shine again too.

Yeah, PC specs are way beyond these consoles with a 3080+, but just like how even at 4k/60fps AC Vahalla on PS5/XSX essentially just looks like AC Origins on a modern PC at 4k/60fps; despite having a $2,000 or $3,000 rig super PC...all existing PC games are still built to work in some form on the PS4/Xbox One. Everything is still cross-gen and held back by that.

That's why stuff like Demon Souls & Astrobot look crazy, and as a baseline for built for ground up PS5/XSX games it's just gonna get more and more insanity in visuals. Then those PC rigs are gonna be able to run these ones looking even better and higher framerates.

And Ray tracing. Demon Souls doesn't use it, I have a feeling if it did the game would perform a lot worse and be considerably less impressive. I have no idea if Astrobot uses it. I'd say no? It's a shiny/reflective game but doesn't strike me as reflective in an RTX way. I think next-gen games that don't use RTX have the raw power to look insanely impressive, but once they go for RTX it's gonna be a mess. RTX should basically be the PC editions of all these PS5/XSX gen games where the consoles don't have RTX. I'm not even sure if 30fps modes are enough for RTX on PS5/XSX. Spider-Man has RTX at 30fps, but that's because it's cross-gen and looks mostly like a PS4 game. Watchdogs has 30fps RTX on consoles but that reaaaally looks like a last-gen game otherwise. So far I don't think there's a single next-gen type looking game that also has RTX and runs 30fps on PS5 or XSX. I can see tech wizards at Santa Monica and Naughty Dog pull of 30fps impressive visuals & light RTX in a few years, but I think RTX is PS6/XSY and this console gen should really be pushing just crazy visuals at 4k and 30fps/60fps with quick resume/haptics/etc...

Anyhow, just random thoughts. Playing cross-gen games on PC/PS5 after Demon Souls/Astrobot feels like going from Blu-ray back to DVD already. True next-gen games will spoil the fuck out of you. They just look that good. Can't wait for the next batch. Ratchet still looks kinda cross-gen, and Halo Infinite is super cross-gen, but Horizon II looks legit and I'm sure God of War II will melt eyes.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Thoughts on the future of video game visuals
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 06:31:07 AM »
It's still too early for full blown Ray Tracing I think. Right now the Xbox Series X can't match the RTX 2060 in fidelity and performance.
I think there are better ways to spend the GPU budget as Demon's Souls shows.

I'm mostly curious what games look like from developers other than Ubisoft. Capcom for example has Resident Evil Village coming up, which is only a next-gen game and looked very impressive in trailers.
I'd also like to see the next-generation of fighting games and action games like the sequel to EA's Jedi game to get a sense of where this will land.
The launch games we've seen so far are mostly 'open world' games and they are more about scale than impressive visuals.

The big question will be if AMD can come up with something that is as good as DLSS. DLSS was the game changer for ray tracing on PC nearly doubling performance on my 2070 Super.
On the 3000 series cards it even opens the door to 8k resolutions.

The Xbox Series X at least, is held back by something looking at the paper specs and the PS5 is already punching above its weight considering the teraflop gap.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
I think they should add another A.

AAAAA games, coming soon

nudemacusers

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »
also after the dust clears on this console transition period, i'd expect the number of 'aaa' games to support performance mode to dip substantially, especially first party releaes. the marketing of performance modes strikes me as an early adopter incentive (ie gamer types who actually follow console releases) to spur sales in an absence of strong next-gen software.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »

AAAAA games, coming soon

WAIT I was fucking joking, but they're actually doing it. :lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)#AAAA

Starting in 2020 leading up to the launch of the PS5 and the Xbox Series X, two studios started using the term AAAA (Quadruple-A) to describe upcoming games in development. Microsoft's studio The Initiative is working on its unannounced debut title for Xbox that's self-described as being a AAAA game,[24] while Ubisoft announced Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Skull & Bones would both be AAAA games.

:dead

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »
The whole "AAA" thing needs to stop- call them "$$$" games instead.  :P

tl;dr, the non-cross-gen stuff i.e. Demon Souls & Astrobot feel like a generational leap beyond anything else on console or PC

These games don't seem that way to me at all.  Especially Astrobot- it looks like a PS4 title, albeit in actual 4K and at a better framerate.  The kind of thing I'd expect a modern launch title to look and run like.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:35:00 PM by bork »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 01:00:54 PM »
Everything next-gen is sort of in a holding pattern until Unreal Engine 5 is done and that won't be until 2022 at the earliest at which point we're looking at a mid gen refresh.
I think that the PS5/Xbox Series X will be overtaken by PS5 Pro / Xbox Series Z by 2023 or so and these are really just stop gap machines to actually the deliver the 4k native resolution the One X and PS4 Pro couldn't in most cases.
Especially if Xbox trails again Microsoft will want to deliver their new first party games from the likes of Bethesda and ID Software with some extra oomph.
By then AMD should also have an answer to DLSS or another way to do Ray Tracing without tanking performance and all hardware related shortages of RAM, wafer capacity etc. should be resolved.

If that's not the case then we've ended up in a place where developers and consumers have decided that games look 'good enough' and there's no need to invest in better graphics for a while.
This happened before with the focus on Move and Kinect and of course the Xbox One and it's failed TV strategy.

Some game franchises like COD and Assassins Creed have already moved to such incremental upgrades and no one has really complained about the lack of a significant visual improvement.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 02:57:14 PM »

AAAAA games, coming soon

WAIT I was fucking joking, but they're actually doing it. :lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)#AAAA

Starting in 2020 leading up to the launch of the PS5 and the Xbox Series X, two studios started using the term AAAA (Quadruple-A) to describe upcoming games in development. Microsoft's studio The Initiative is working on its unannounced debut title for Xbox that's self-described as being a AAAA game,[24] while Ubisoft announced Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Skull & Bones would both be AAAA games.

:dead

lollll

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
Some game franchises like COD and Assassins Creed have already moved to such incremental upgrades and no one has really complained about the lack of a significant visual improvement.

I'm expecting the next AC to be PS5/XSX/PC only and 30fps on consoles and look like a pretty massive upgrade. AC Valhalla is kinda similar to AC Black Flag which was also 60fps on PS4 before Unity at <30fps.

Imagine if they rebooted again and did small couple cities AC again like AC1/2? They could definitely pull off a looker.

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
Why don't they just like, smash all the assets they've ever made for AC together and make one super-AC? :idont

A full open world.

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »

tl;dr, the non-cross-gen stuff i.e. Demon Souls & Astrobot feel like a generational leap beyond anything else on console or PC

These games don't seem that way to me at all.  Especially Astrobot- it looks like a PS4 title, albeit in actual 4K and at a better framerate.  The kind of thing I'd expect a modern launch title to look and run like.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm under the impression you skipped getting a PS5 so you're just going by videos. I feel like you really have to play these games to see the difference. Astrobot looks insanely impressive to me, every blade of grass rendered, tons of characters and animations, fantastic textures and lighting and effects, all at 60fps.

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
A full open world.

Noooooo

The last three AC games are fine and fun, but big ass open world with a billion little dots that have 30 seconds of shallow fun is not the direction I want the franchise to go. The single big city ones were kinda a mistake too. They were interesting but just lacked overall variety since the whole game was just one city.

I think the best balance are the Ezio games that had like 3 cities and each city was different with some countryside between to ride around in. Actually that might just be AC1 & AC2 because Brotherhood was just Rome and Revelations was just 1 city iirc.

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm under the impression you skipped getting a PS5 so you're just going by videos. I feel like you really have to play these games to see the difference. Astrobot looks insanely impressive to me, every blade of grass rendered, tons of characters and animations, fantastic textures and lighting and effects, all at 60fps.

That may be the case for bork, and it certainly is the case for me, but I also think you're getting a bit blinded by launch hype, dude. :P

I'm tempted to look up your posts about PS4/XO when they launched. :P

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
Sure, but a great looking game is a great looking game. Last game that impressed me visually was probably Control on PC with RTX & DLSS and Last of Us II. These look better than that imo.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »
from what i've seen demon souls looks alright, but it looks very present/last gen to me, whatever that even means. wouldn't say it looked any better than something like RE7 did on my four year old GPU.

RT and GI are the difference makers. in screenshots it doesn't really come across, but even something like quake II with full RT lighting feels somehow more convincing than some billion dollar ubisoft project. there's a natural quality to it that just kicks your brain another step out of uncanny valley. it's not that it looks incredible, it's that it's emulating how we're used to percieving light in reality, which is far more powerful.

but what's really great about RT tech is that it lowers the bar of entry to make a visually arresting game. developers can operate more like DoPs rather than engineers trying every trick in the book to fake things that RT can do for real.

consoles are coming in a year or two too soon. they'd have been better off waiting out until RT had matured to the level that we're just now seeing on high end GPUs (with DLSS to keep performance up) to represent a real generational leap. i suppose that'll come with the "pro" editions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:56:08 PM by headwalk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »

That may be the case for bork, and it certainly is the case for me, but I also think you're getting a bit blinded by launch hype, dude. :P

I'm tempted to look up your posts about PS4/XO when they launched. :P

It's the case for me too and I agree with the underlined.  Astrobot looks nice and colorful...and it also looks like something they'd have no trouble releasing on the PS4 in 1080P.

Can't say I'm seeing a game that is "a generational leap beyond anything else on console or PC." 
ど助平

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 02:59:30 AM »
I just hope performance modes remain a thing. I tried the cinematic modes on spidey and demon's, and they looked p nice but I barely notice when I'm actually playing. who cares abt some lights reflecting in a puddle more accurately

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:06:27 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 03:11:01 AM »
I'm fine with playing at 30, but it would have to be a more significant improvement than slightly better light reflections and a higher res to get me to choose it.
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 03:18:22 AM »
I bought an series S cause I don't have a 4K telly

Think it will be fine to play the next 3 years of games

Its a step down for past gen non optimized games visual wise (compared to my old one X) but the improved loading times are much more important to me.

So many times in the past I felt like playing something but the idea of all the waiting on stuff to load just killed my enthousiasm, just want to boot up and play.

A game like Forza is a good example, is love to jump in for a quick race sometimes but I never did on One X cause it was so slooooow. Now on S itw BAM and im racing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:37:20 AM by Cerveza mas fina »

naff

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
I agree with you generally bebs that Demon's and Astro bot look like a significant step up. Textures, lighting, detail and effects are all better than even Metro Exodus imo. I think Resi 7 is in the same ballpark, but lacks the effects and detail. The texture work and environmental detail in Demon's is another level.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
That said, i only have a 1070 and play at 3440 x 1440 but i have played through Metro (without RT ofc) and RE7. Idk if the 2000/3000 series is really making those games look that much better going by YT highres gameplay.
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 09:26:23 PM »
I studied 3d design in 2006/7, and I eventually dropped out, but it left me very interested in computer graphics still. Back then I remember having to let a render pc just working on a scene for a whole day, if you wanted a ray traced still scene, if there was enough reflected stuff in it and lightning. So yeah, I am extremely excited for ray tracing to be getting more and more supported in vidya, and I really do believe it is the future of graphics. But I also agree with you, that current consoles are only able to do very limited ray tracing, at least until there is a proper dlls like technique for them. But some games are showing in limited capacity that it can look really nice, like the spiderman ray tracing. But the limitations are also already very obvious (no reflections in reflections, moving stuff at half the frame rate in ray traced reflections and so on). In some games I think it would be better with 60fps, and demons souls is probably a very good example of that. I havent gotten my ps5 yet though, as an European I am in a tier 3 country for sony. But it looks pretty good still, even without ray tracing, even if I dont like many of the design changes. But it honestly does not have a huge wow  factor on me, it still looks fairly rooted in last gen. I will have to see myself soon though (if they deliver on my pre order... pls)

But I cant lie, pc gaming is and always will be where my heart is. Even if I end up spending 70% of my gaming time on pc playing csgo or football manager, which really dont need anything much (although i do need that +400 fps in csgo!), I will keep getting new top of the line gpu's, usually skipping a gen each time (went from 1080ti to 3090 a few days ago). Will that be held back by consoles? No doubt, but again, even with that, if I can get much higher quality ray tracing, play in an ultrawide resolution, and generally have everything a notch or two up from the console counterparts, with a framerate of 120, then I am pretty damn happy. That will always for me, be well above what consoles can do, and while I can already see the limitations of consoles (which are pretty obvious with demons souls tbh, even if it looks good), I can always max out my pc games in one way or the other. But I will still really enjoy the visuals of a Naughty Dog game, and what they can do with all their clever tricks and crazy amount of animations and so on. But when TLOU3 comes out and is 30fps with ray tracing, I will still feel it's a bit of a pain to turn on the console to play that, and dream of a future where sony release all their shit on pc.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:31:37 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

naff

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
what even is a good technical showcase on pc these days?

i love the flexibility of pc gaming, but what bebs is saying about pc tech being limited by what is currently feasible on consoles is a fact unless the community goes nuts like with the elder scrolls series (even then....). pc will nearly always just be rendering assets targeted at consoles with software that hasn't been properly optimised for the platform with maybe one technical showcase every year or two that uses pc as a lead platform.
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:12 PM »
That is true to some extend for sure. However pc removes a lot of the limits that annoys me on consoles, also if they are grounded with console assets and design.

But purely for visuals? MS flight sim is probably the most recent one, and that doesn't even feature ray tracing. Not the most exciting game for the masses for sure though. But seeing it on an ultra wide at a high frame rate is seriously amazing. I was blown away seeing the clouds and fidelity of the ground

But there isn't many games purely made for PC anymore, or at least not a lot of high budget ones. I imagine cybercunny in a few weeks (and then whenever the next gen versions comes out) will also be a great showcase at what a pc can do, even with assets that are also meant for consoles. Maxing out stuff that is limited on consoles (even if also there is some degree), high framerates, ultra and super ultra wide, that makes any game be worth it for me. I am fully aware that this isnt the case for the majority of people though. But motherfucker, even playing RDR2 again, but on super or ultrawide... It honestly feels amazing. Youtube doesnt show it off well, due to the compression and not supporting the format, but you get a decent idea anyway

naff

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »
yeah, i like gaming at my desk with an ultrawide 144hz screen, but it's not more immersive than sitting on my comfy ass couch with proper surround and a 65" bbt in my face
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »
I never really got the immersion thing tbh. I am never really immersed in a game, at least I wasn't until VR. Putting on a headset like that and playing a VR game is still an amazing experience to me, even with the somewhat bad playstation VR headset. It almost doesnt matter how bad the quality is, you just still feel there.

But I do feel like ultra wide at high framerate, with everything maxed out is a way more amazing experience, even after getting a c9 which truly does look amazing with hdr on. Comfy couch and surround sound? I can do that on pc too.

Looking at these demons souls screenshots in the other thread, and it... looks fine, but man, the ugly lighting, flat textures, shadows not being cast properly and so on, also do stand out in spots. But again, I will have to actually play that myself soon, when hopefully the pre order gets delivered. Being a tier 3 country.  :maf However I do have a feeling I won't be REALLY impressed with graphics on these consoles until a gran turismo or naughty dog game. The stuff they have ready so far is an obvious step up from PS4, but nothing mind blowing. The real revolution seems to be the controller, which I am also very excited for though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:31:38 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2020, 03:32:00 AM »
Everything next-gen is sort of in a holding pattern until Unreal Engine 5 is done and that won't be until 2022 at the earliest at which point we're looking at a mid gen refresh.
I think that the PS5/Xbox Series X will be overtaken by PS5 Pro / Xbox Series Z by 2023 or so and these are really just stop gap machines to actually the deliver the 4k native resolution the One X and PS4 Pro couldn't in most cases.
Especially if Xbox trails again Microsoft will want to deliver their new first party games from the likes of Bethesda and ID Software with some extra oomph.
By then AMD should also have an answer to DLSS or another way to do Ray Tracing without tanking performance and all hardware related shortages of RAM, wafer capacity etc. should be resolved.

If that's not the case then we've ended up in a place where developers and consumers have decided that games look 'good enough' and there's no need to invest in better graphics for a while.
This happened before with the focus on Move and Kinect and of course the Xbox One and it's failed TV strategy.

Like you say, we need to wait for other (less intensive but arguably better looking) implementations of global light wizardry like in UE5 and we need to wait for the AMD/MS resolution bullshit skills to level up.

Right now, I do not see a big leap from any game. Dark Souls looks great but doesn't look like anything that couldn't be ported to PS4 and Astrobot...it has a lot charm but I'm not sure what's technically impressive. Maybe I need to watch the full demo.

"REAL" ray tracing is kind of seeming unnecessary. An engine like UE5 seems to get pretty amazing lighting by essentially spreading the light bounces over multiple frames. Reflections will be had to spread across multiple frames but RT reflections hardly add to the experience.

I'm not sure if RAM prices will drop anytime soon though.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »
Forza Horizon 4 at 4K 60 fps is the most impressive game I've seen in quite some time. Honestly, that combo is pretty much perfect regarding visual fidelity.

OH!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
One thing that will really speak to the visuals we get on both consoles and PC is how long this generation lasts in terms of game generations. Look at 360's generation, most teams got two, sometimes three or four, generations of work out in its lifespan. The One comparatively got one, maybe two, generations from most teams, with a lot of cross-generation starts and finishes. The most prolific series, Call of Duty, started and ended with cross-gen games, so IW's "second" generation game was Modern Warfare which still looks like quite a leap over Ghosts their cross-gen debut. Again, they're starting off this gen with a cross-gen game, the next one is likely also a cross-gen game, so we have to wait for the "third" Call of Duty to see what it can do alone on this gen. Somebody like Bethesda did Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim on 360. They put out Fallout 4 on One. (76 is a multiple studio game so I'm considering it closer to New Vegas.)

Even exclusive series were only putting out one game or so this generation compared to the 360/PS3 generation when we got four Gears of War and three Killzones/Resistances each plus two Portals and two Left 4 Dead's.

Some teams are in a position to put out two generations, while others are set to do just one generation or one and a cross-gen. Bethesda now is probably obviously on two generations with VI and Starfield, I imagine part of that purchase was telling them to scrap the One edition of whatever is nearest to release if they are also scrapping the PS4 version.

Funny enough, another of those purchases and a team that's often looked to in their visuals did sorta the opposite of everyone else. After putting out just RAGE during 360/PS3, they put out two Dooms and provided the engine for the Wolfensteins this last generation. All of them praised for their visuals.

It was those "third" generation games on 360/PS3 that started shipping with "high resolution textures" for the PC version. Skyrim/Borderlands 2/Siege/GTA V/etc. We really never got to that point in this last generation where the PC was so obviously superior "everybody" could handle them since PCs had lapped the consoles again. We were just about reaching that point and some of the Ultra settings and stuff like RTX/DLSS were eating up the extra resources but we weren't quite to the point where the developers were telling you to download the equivalent of 100GB of high resolution textures exclusively on their PC versions.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 08:04:12 PM »

AAAAA games, coming soon

The guy who ran Crystal during the gritty Tomb Raider reboot, Darrell something, started The Initiative with stated intent of making “AAAA games.”

:itgoestoeleven.gif

Edit: beaten

kingv

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 07:39:41 PM »
Imo, the consoles will never let themselves get lapped by PCs again.

After the success of the 1x/pro, They will always just come out with a half step upgrade

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »

naff

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 10:00:53 PM »
very funny to me they didn't get it running on their hot new beefy console, or even officially announce it will be coming to it.
◕‿◕