Author Topic: Your GOTY selection  (Read 2733 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Your GOTY selection
« on: December 14, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
Now that all the vidya are released, what are your GOTY's?

For me.

1) Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)
Deus Ex + GTA and the most demanding game spec wise since Crysis. You can be cool af doing cool af things in a cool af city.
The story, the soundtrack, the visuals... The Heist. After all the pre-launch negativity from journo's I was so surprised at how good it was.
:neo

2) DOOM Eternal (PC)
First 1/3 of the game is kinda meh, so you drop it. But you shouldn't because when this gets going once you've finally unlocked all the cool stuff it doesn't stop.
Creative level design, amazing combat and again great visuals as everything on this list.
:rejoice

3) Half-Life Alyx (PC)
Like Cyberpunk this ups the ante in many ways. If you play this you will start checking your room for Combine and Headcrabs.
Overall slightly below DOOM Eternal for me. At some point it gets a bit repetitive with the gameplay mechanics and limited inventory.
A new Half-Life in VR
:delicious

4) Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PC)
The campaign is a fun although a bit undercooked rollercoaster ride but it's hard to beat that 80's setting.
Like last years COD a very fun multiplayer package too but a bit more arcadey and the new battle royale but not battle royale modes don't do much for me.
Still even if the world ends COD delivers. The runner up to this was Resident Evil 3.
:salute

Honorable mention) My backlog
This year I spend a lot of time playing games in my backlog Some really great ones like Astral Chain, Ace Combat 7, Resident Evil 7 and Assassins Creed: Odyssey but also games that have aged very quickly or just aren't that compelling anymore like Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
 :yeshrug

Overall a strange gaming year for me. Invested in VR in March and upgraded my rig in November. PC gaming is back in a big way.
In terms of new releases not much going on after Resident Evil 3 came out until this season hit with COD, Cyberpunk etc. and I continued my DOOM playthrough.
Still have a ton of games in my backlog including Red Dead Redemption 2, Maffia 3, Xenoblade Chronicles Deifnitive Edition, Death Stranding PC and more.

But for now it's Cyberpunk time  :mynicca
🤴

Tasty

Re: Your GOTY selection
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
My vote is utterly meaningless since I play 2-3 new games a year at most.

My pick is also utterly predictable. (You guessed it already.)

But you dump 790 hours into a game over 9 months, it tends to stick in your mind. :trumps

spoiler (click to show/hide)
At around the 500 hour mark my playtime morphed from a source of pride to a source of shame, lmao. :fbm

It's only going to keep going up, I haven't even slowed down since ~September...
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Don't worry Tasty, technically AC isn't even a game, so

I guess Cyberpunk but for games that I actually played this year, hands down Disco Elysium
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
I enjoyed several games this year, and while i haven't played CP2077 yet, i don't think it'd change my mind.

My GOTY was, by far, Half Life Alyx.

An expansion (or even a sequel) adding more weapons and other fun gimmicks/situations, should be a mandate for Valve (which is why it won't happen :fbm).

I truly hope HL3 will be VR only.

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »
If re-releases count, I doubt anything came out this year better than Super Mario Galaxy... but could be possible, I guess. :nintendo

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
If re-releases count, I doubt anything came out this year better than Super Mario Galaxy... but could be possible, I guess. :nintendo

I've been enjoying Pikmin 3 more than Galaxy, by a lot actually.
 :doge

Playing Odyssey for 50+ hours probably burnt me out on Mario.
[close]
OH!

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »
I'm not into Pikmin but I heard the new content for Deluxe is really good. :leon

paprikastaude

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
Streets of Rage 4, really good, can't believe this happened. Crash Bandicoot 4, very good, can't believe this happened.

Nioh 2, great sequel, surprisingly way better than 1. I still have some gripes, mostly the inconsistend atmosphere.

Also good, Yakuza 7, but so far not as good as others.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:56:55 PM »
Havent gotten around to 13 sentinels yet, and I sold my vr headset last year due to lack of space until I move, so no Alyx for me either yet. Cyberpunk while having played around 20 hours of it, is still a bit early to see if i just like it so much due to it being recently released. But man, I am loving it despite all the bugs and shit. Right now:

1. Fall Guys
2. Cyberpunk
3. TLOU2
4. Wasteland 3
5. Yakuza like a dragon

(i also replayed disco elysium, so that is secretly #1)

Coax

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »
Given it saw its PC release this year (and was one of the few games I've played :shh)  it'll go to Death Stranding for me. Had a most surprising heart and cohesiveness.

Interesting seeing the lack of FF7 Remake mentions after all the praise it received in its topic here.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:39:27 PM »
1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
3. Paradise Killer
4. Wasteland 3
5. DOOM Eternal
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 11:42:42 PM »
Given it saw its PC release this year (and was one of the few games I've played :shh)  it'll go to Death Stranding for me. Had a most surprising heart and cohesiveness.

Interesting seeing the lack of FF7 Remake mentions after all the praise it received in its topic here.

fuck, i hought that was last year, feels like forever ago. very good game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
The world was a different place way back in March.
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:36:02 AM »
1 Yakuza Like a Dragon
2 Tony Hawk 1+2
3 FF7 Remake
4 Animal Crossing
5 Death Stranding (I beat it this year)

:pimp
(ice)

paprikastaude

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 12:50:29 AM »
Bought Tony Hawk recently, but haven't gotten around to it :thinking

Waiting on deep sales for Amnesia 2, Hades and Bloodstained 2, because I'm not buying indie/digital games day1. But those are the ones I guess I'll keep an eye on from this year.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:24 AM »
Lots of good kideos this year.

In release order (I think):
Doom Eternal; Animal Crossing, RE3R, FF7R, Trials of Mana, Catherine Full Body (Switch), Last of Us Part Deux, Ghost of Kojima (didn’t beat yet, but I like it), Demon’s Souls, Miles, Transphobepunk 1488. Probably forgot some other shit.

Insane backlog too:
ALL OF KINGDOM HEARTS  :insane, Ace Combat 7, Yakuza 4-6&FOTNS, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Tomb Raider Underworld, FF7 OG replay, Dark Souls 3. Probably more shit.

Yet none can fill the hole in my heart  :goty
[close]

Edit:
I can’t believe I forgot Deadly Premonition on PS3, Zach.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:15:41 AM by BIONIC »
Margs

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »
This is kinda cheating but I'll say Persona 5: Royal. The extra semester is so god damn good. I wish they would add the ability to just jump to late December. I think forcing returning players to redo the entire game is a bit too much of an ask.

Demon's Souls and Ghost of Tsushima are 2 and 3 for me.

I'm saving Cyberpunk for next year.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 06:10:32 AM »
1. Cyberpunk 2077
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
I haven't put enough time into Cyberpunk to put it on the list yet. Don't have a VR headset for Half-Life: Alyx either.

My game of the year is an easy pick since they released an HD remaster of it on Switch. (it's actually one of my all time favourites. Sharing the top 3 with Super Mario Bros 3 and Banjo-Kazooie)

#1 No More Heroes

#2 Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

Technically an awful game, but Swery65 still manages to charm me with his love for Americana.

#3 Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Paradise Killer will probably make the list once I get around to it, since it's pretty much an indie Suda51 game with DanganRonpa's artstyle. The devs even said it was inspired by Flower, Sun and Rain.

https://twitter.com/KaizenGameWorks/status/1298285664094629889

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
I've been playing a whole ton of retro games for most of the year, at the beginning of the year I played some 2019 spillover - DQB2, Cold Steel 3, and Astral Chain. The only 2020 games I really played are FF7r and CS4 (which I'm still in the midst of). So, probably CS4 by default, even though it doesn't feel nearly as "fresh" as CS3 (which was my favorite 2019 game). I also really liked FF7r, had some issues with it but it was probably the best FF since XIII-2 for me.

Doom Eternal, 13 Sentinels, Cyberpunk, Yak 7, Seiken 3 remake... are all backlogged for me.

Favorite game I played through this year was probably Legend of Dragoon.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »
FF7 Remake is my GOTY
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
FF7 Remake is my GOTY

I looked up the ending cutscene after Sephiroth was announced for Smash.

Like what. :o

BIONIC

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 10:15:33 AM »
FF7 Remake is my GOTY

I looked up the ending cutscene after Sephiroth was announced for Smash.

Like what. :o

Nomura  :beetlejuice
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »
They should have named it Rebuild of Final Fantasy 7, right? :lol
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
The world was a different place way back in March.

hahaha a game where there aren't any human connections and everyone has to stay inside because of an invisible threat while depending on understaffed delivery services.

oh Kojima you have such a wild fantasy

:mjcry
[close]
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
I've got a feeling that I'm massively underrating ff7remake and it should be my number one easy and I'm mostly going with koozer as no1 off recency bias, but it also feels like it came out years ago at this point :titus
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
I've got a feeling that I'm massively underrating ff7remake and it should be my number one easy and I'm mostly going with koozer as no1 off recency bias, but it also feels like it came out years ago at this point :titus

JRPGs :rejoice
©@©™

Coffee Dog

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
This year was, mostly, pretty whack for me. Got a ton of RPGs out of the way (big ones being Yakuza 7, P5R, PQ2, DQ11) but as far as brand new games are concerned all the biggest haven't really been my bag or were just comfortably quality without blowing my mind (like Tony Hawk or Miles). Yakuza 7 was probably my favorite. Streets of Rage 4 was awesome as well.

The best gaming experience I had this year was beating Shenmue 1+2 for the first time. Those will stick with me for a long while.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
DO NOT play Shenmue 3 then if you wanna keep that feeling :whew
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

Always love Square games for their batshit animu stories and amazing music, even without having played most of them :lawd

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »
List Wars? List Wars.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Versus Maxi Boost ON
Star Wars Squadrons
Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon
野球

BIONIC

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
Lots of good kideos this year.

In release order (I think):
Doom Eternal; Animal Crossing, RE3R, FF7R, Trials of Mana, Catherine Full Body (Switch), Last of Us Part Deux, Ghost of Kojima (didn’t beat yet, but I like it), Demon’s Souls, Miles, Transphobepunk 1488. Probably forgot some other shit.

Insane backlog too:
ALL OF KINGDOM HEARTS  :insane, Ace Combat 7, Yakuza 4-6&FOTNS, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors, Tomb Raider Underworld, FF7 OG replay, Dark Souls 3. Probably more shit.

Yet none can fill the hole in my heart  :goty
[close]

Edit:
I can’t believe I forgot Deadly Premonition on PS3, Zach.

I completely forgot the entire Witcher series as well (including Thronebreaker). Though I technically started the first last December. I miss being lost in that world  :tocry
Margs

El Babua

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
Top 5

Doom Eternal
Hades
13 Sentinels
FF7 Remake
P5 Royal

Pennywise

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 12:22:38 PM »
13 Sentinels
P5 Royal
TLOU2

Overall a pretty good year with some really good games.
Still gotta finish some games like Demon Souls, Cyberpunk, Yakuza, Hades and a few others.

Biggest disappointment was Resident Evil 3 Remake.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »
Probably animal crossing even though I haven’t played it since I had to go back to work lol

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
1. Hades
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Spiritfarer
4. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
5. Persona 5 Royal
6. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
7. Spider-Man Miles Morales
8. Streets of Rage 4
9: Super Mario 3D All-Stars
10: Ghost of Tsushima

paprikastaude

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2020, 09:51:06 PM »
Bought 13 Sentinels now, earlier than planned, because I think they didn't print too many PAL copies... Shit's sold out everywhere online, excluding some hefty overpriced offers, so I grabbed one of the few retail copies I could still find here before lockdown. Love me some Vanillaware, but I hope that ugh school cast doesn't put me off too much.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 06:52:25 AM »
1. Hades - I've put well over 150 hours into it. I still just pick it up and put a few runs in each day (on Switch) out of force of habit. I'm not even terribly good at it, tbh, I just enjoy it.

2. Animal Crossing - I've put over [REDACTED] into it.  :o

3. Dunno, does like Sudoku count? 2020s been pretty shitty otherwise..
___

kingv

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 11:05:46 AM »
Mine would be cyberpunk, flaws and all.

It's a very ambitious game, and what was done is pretty impressive. Some of the sidquests just have stuff that clearly had a ton of work put into it, and sometimes I just find it impressive how many things are like "wow, someone bothered to script and program this sequence for an optional sidequest".

Bebpo

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
Welp, 105 games cleared in 2020 and I'm done gaming for the year.

Top 10 games I played this year:

1. RDR2
2. Half-Life Alyx
3. Astro's Playroom
4. Superhot VR
5. Last of Us II
6. Return of the Obra Dinn
7. FF7 Remake
8. Demon Souls Remake
9. BallisticNG
10. Disco Elysium

This was actually a really hard list to parse down to. I'd say everything in there is pretty close to perfect.

Runners up of other great games I enjoyed this year:
Ys' IX / The Hex / Ori 1&2/ Disgaea 5 / Spider-Man 2018 / LBP3 / Art's Dream / Tony Hawk 1&2 remake/ Slay the Spire / Planescape Torment / Detroit Become Human / Links Awakening remake / Pony Island / Binary Domain / Jamestown+ / Helltaker

Now since I'm bad about playing things the year they actually release, if I want to do a 2020-released games only, it'd look like this:

1. Half-Life Alyx
2. Astro's Playroom
3. Last of Us II
4. FF7r
5. Demon Souls
6. Ori II
7. Tony Hawk 1 & 2 Remake
8. Streets of Rage 4
9. Hajimari no Kiseki
10. Hades

And I don't even like Hades that much, but I ran out of choices by #9 and figured Hades was better than stuff like RE3R or Spider-Man Miles, so I'll just give it the spot.

I didn't play Cyberpunk (will play in a few years after I play Witcher 2/3), Doom Eternal and a bunch of other stuff though. Also 13 Sentinels was up there last year for me since I played the import.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 07:09:44 PM by Bebpo »

Himu

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
final fantasy VII remake
fire emblem 1
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
I honestly don't think I've played anything besides Cyberpunk that released this year...

NO WAIT, I did play the Biohazard 3 remake in April. But given how butchered that scenario is it's no where near the GotY list for me. :lol

---

I mean if we're including non-2020 on the list, Disco Elysium has to be near the top with Planescape Torment (though that one is a revisit) for me. Just brilliantly written stories there.

Oh wait, Streets of Rage 4 came out shortly after 3's remake. I just bought that on Steam, and it's solid enough. I dunno if I'd put it on any top-10 GotY 2020 lists (personally, that might change once I finish it) but it's solid enough for consideration.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:58:42 PM by thisismyusername »