Author Topic: Remember Google Buzz?  (Read 1264 times)

Tasty

Remember Google Buzz?
« on: January 04, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »

RIP :'(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Remember Google Buzz?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
Honestly, no.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:44:29 PM »
>In the days following its release, Buzz was caught up in a privacy controversy as confused Gmail users (who had never signed up for Buzz) found their email contact lists were made public, while public Picasa galleries and Google Reader shares were suddenly highlighted to a wider audience than expected. Buzz even sparked a lawsuit that cost Google $8.5 million

Sounds cooool ....

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
:lol Lol I forgot all that shit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
people say the new Google logos are bad, but damn look at that old Gmail logo :yuck
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
Is there a company with as many L’s to their name as google, at least in the same time frame that google has been a big time player :doge
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »
I only remember google wave, aka discord before discord except more powerful/better in some ways?

you could code stuff within it, it had like dice rollers for d&d but potential for so much more
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
Is there a company with as many L’s to their name as google, at least in the same time frame that google has been a big time player :doge

https://killedbygoogle.com/
Uncle

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
In the mid-2000's, I was such a google fanboy. I was desperate for them to takeover the monopoly MS had on PCs.

Having endured all the MS bullshit my entire life as a PC enthusiast, I really thought they would be able to do it. But they could never really carry that early success over into other products. There was always something missing or out of step with what people wanted.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »
people say the new Google logos are bad, but damn look at that old Gmail logo :yuck

I read a bit about this when I was researching my recent graduation project. Apparently the logo was thrown together the night before Gmail launched. They wanted to use the same font as the old Google logo, but that has a really peculiar lowercase "a", so the "a i l" letters are set in Myriad Pro, which is the default font in Adobe Illustrator.
地平線

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 04:22:28 PM »
In the mid-2000's, I was such a google fanboy. I was desperate for them to takeover the monopoly MS had on PCs.

Having endured all the MS bullshit my entire life as a PC enthusiast, I really thought they would be able to do it. But they could never really carry that early success over into other products. There was always something missing or out of step with what people wanted.

They're almost there imo. :trumps But it's a pretty even playing field between Surface, Mac, and Pixelbook.

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »
I'm just glad Google and Microsoft finally caught on that making high quality first-party hardware for your OSes is a thing they should do.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 06:09:59 PM »
Most of us aren't stunted enough to stan a tech company of all things hard enough to remember all of their dumb misfires.

That's what video games are for.

:yeshrug
yar

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »
Most of us aren't stunted enough to stan a tech company of all things hard enough to remember all of their dumb misfires.

That's what video games are for.

:yeshrug

:stahp I've wasted my life stanning Google

spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least my faith in Nintendo is solid :obama :miyamoto :nintendo
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »

I used to be that way with Adobe. I had hoped that adobe would enter the OS business come on because your stuff was so original, clean, and consistent.  Having been on board with Adobe since Photoshop 1.0, Illustrator, and even their purchase and dismantling of Aldus Freehand, I was stunned by how excellent their consistent user interface was. In contrast, at the time MacOS was unreliable and difficult to get to work. A number of Vulcan nerve pinches were required for keyboard commands to start MacOS without Extensions running and interfering with each other.

Now I look at Adobe and I am shocked at how far they have fallen. I would almost guess they have more lawyers working for them than engineers at this point. The types of changes they have made to their product line have been a reduction in overall value for them, especially considering they have leapt headfirst into the subscription model for software.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:38:14 PM by chronovore »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »
Adobe is at the point where whenever they do something new the community cries out that it should be the way it was.
They've made some interesting new products but everyone just defaults to Photoshop.

Only XD got traction, mainly because it is just a clone of Sketch for Windows. They're also doing some really interesting things with 3D, After Effects and Premiere.
I'm also really impressed by their Sensei AI tech but that's still a work in progress ever since they demoed it in 2019 or so.
As soon as they change one button in Photoshop though (and believe me they tried) they get death threats  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:56 PM »

I used to be that way with Adobe. I had hoped that adobe would enter the OS business come on because your stuff was so original, clean, and consistent.  Having been on board with Adobe since Photoshop 1.0, Illustrator, and even their purchase and dismantling of Aldus Freehand, I was stunned by how excellent their consistent user interface was. In contrast, at the time macOS was unreliable and difficult to get to work. A number of Vulcan nerve pinches were required for keyboard commands to start the iOS without extensions running and interfering with each other.

Now I look at Adobe and I am shocked at how far they have fallen. I would almost guess they have more lawyers working for them than engineers at this point. The types of changes they have made to their product line have been a reduction in overall value for them, especially considering they have leapt headfirst into the subscription model for software.

I still have a fondness for Premiere. I don't use Adobe products enough to really notice much (other than the odd crash), but the features they added to Premiere the years I was using it (2014-2019) were pretty cool and exciting. After Effects felt ancient and kludgy as fuck in comparison, though.

And I got started image editing with Gimp so even if Photoshop is better, and more intuitive, and more widely used... I'm too used to the editor I started with. :P

(Been meaning to give the alt-fork Glimpse a shot, it seems pretty cool even if it's a few versions behind (2.10.18 vs. 2.10.22.))

archnemesis

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:16 AM »
I had Buzz and Wave mixed up. The only killed Google product that I miss is Reader.

kingv

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 08:33:26 AM »
I remember being so confused by Google wave.

I still don’t really know what it was supposed to be.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »