Author Topic: I have seen the light that is game streaming  (Read 1661 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
I have seen the light that is game streaming
« on: January 14, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
Do yourselves a favor and figure out if the Walmart in your area has this on clearance: https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=821772495

For what’s supposed to be $80 for the controller alone, you get an additional pair of wireless earbuds all for $50. When I saw this deal posted I thought “what the hell?” and went for it.

I’m no stranger to game streaming. I had a Vita (RIP) and PS4 last gen and while it was a cool novelty, the lag+poor video quality told me it’d never be worth the convenience. This continued on for the rest of last gen, where I’d try PC/console streaming occasionally and just felt like it hadn’t reached the point where it was good enough.

Today was the day where I finally realized game streaming has now advanced to a point where the drop in quality is outweighed by the convenience factor. I don’t know if it’s because my internets gotten better (usually get about 200-300 mbps down), the next gen consoles are better at streaming, or if it’s the controller, but today was the first time where I was streaming and was not constantly reminded of that. Worked absolutely seamlessly for 80% of the games I tried (spent like an hour with Persona 5, God of War, and Cities Skylines). Even played a game of Overwatch and I didn’t feel like streaming to my phone was significantly pairing down my experience. Only real drawbacks is that some games don’t work on streaming (Banjo Kazooie didn’t, for whatever reason) and having a physical collection meant leaving the room the console was in was annoying.

Lag: much, much less noticeable compared to how it was on Vita. I still notice it but only if I really pay attention

Video quality: of course this and lag are dependent on your internet, but I was downright shocked at how good it looked. Felt like my phone was running it natively. 

(Screenshot from my phone. Considering Imgur compression, it still looks clear)

Controller: the control itself was another nice surprise. A little cramped for big hands (I wish they were longer vertically) but I didn’t really feel like I was compromising much. IMO this is a necessity if you plan on streaming to your phone. Don’t really have a need for the headphones but free is free.

Tasty

Re: I have seen the light that is game streaming
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:56 PM »
You mean Stadia shyt not Twitch shyt

Coax

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:30:47 PM »
What are you using for streaming? As it looks like the Razer bundle is just the controllers for the phone and the earbuds.

Edit: doy, it'd obviously be PS Now  ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:49:28 PM by Coax »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »
Most modern phones have amazing screens so it should indeed look stunning.

I think the controller add-on is officially called Razer Kishi or something.
My WiFi is kinda unstable at times because there's so many networks in this area but otherwise I would definitely consider using something like this.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »
yeah, he's talking about remote streaming over LAN as far as i can tell. i still haven't tried the playstation feature, but wasn't into it when i tried it with my shield a little over a year ago. will see if it's improved over time and try the playstation version streaming to my pc too.
◕‿◕

EightBitNate

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »
Yes I should’ve made that clearer. I’m streaming from my console to my phone in my house. Meaning I can play in bed, downstairs from my room, if the TV is being used etc. Basically all the conveniences that a Switch affords you but for XSX/PS5.

Svejk

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »
I recently had issues with Steam not loading a game on my laptop for whatever reasons, but it would load on my desktop (Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb), so I was able to Stream it from my desktop to my laptop.  Initially, for the first 15 seconds, it had buffering issues, but then cleared up and ran like butter for a good hour.  It was impressive.  Granted my home network isn't too bad and the game doesn't run at a high detail level, but still impressive nonetheless.  Wish my PS5 would stream as well as Steamlink did.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »
Would happily pay $200ish for a premium streaming device for ps5
jon

EightBitNate

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
I recently had issues with Steam not loading a game on my laptop for whatever reasons, but it would load on my desktop (Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb), so I was able to Stream it from my desktop to my laptop.  Initially, for the first 15 seconds, it had buffering issues, but then cleared up and ran like butter for a good hour.  It was impressive.  Granted my home network isn't too bad and the game doesn't run at a high detail level, but still impressive nonetheless.  Wish my PS5 would stream as well as Steamlink did.

Actually, the console streaming was a noticeable step above Steamlink for me.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 02:15:02 AM »
Has anyone gotten PS4/PS5 remote streaming to work outside the house? No go here. Seems fine when I’m at home on the network, but elsewhere it just throws an error. PS4’s hardwired to Japanese fiber, and the place where I’m playing is also gigabit fiber, so wtf

Sho Nuff

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »
No idea what I did but this works now and holy shit. Running PS4 remote play on my GF’s 3 year old iPad she passed down to me, hooked up to a DualShock 4 and it runs REAL good. Murdered the fuck out of a bunch of Mongols in Ghost of Tsushima playing from the bathtub lol.

I used to shit on streaming but I guess this rules now cuz I’m holding good frame rates and seemingly low latency 45km away from my apartment in Kyoto (I’m in Nara now). Will see how Xbox fares next weekend if she doesn’t get Covid (she’s a middle school teacher ha ha ha we’re so fucked).

EightBitNate

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »
No idea what I did but this works now and holy shit. Running PS4 remote play on my GF’s 3 year old iPad she passed down to me, hooked up to a DualShock 4 and it runs REAL good. Murdered the fuck out of a bunch of Mongols in Ghost of Tsushima playing from the bathtub lol.

I used to shit on streaming but I guess this rules now cuz I’m holding good frame rates and seemingly low latency 45km away from my apartment in Kyoto (I’m in Nara now). Will see how Xbox fares next weekend if she doesn’t get Covid (she’s a middle school teacher ha ha ha we’re so fucked).

Glad you’ve walked into the light, brother. You’re basically just using the iPad as a mini-TV then, right?

Fifstar

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 04:24:49 PM »
Yeah, the control demo on switch made me a believer. Ran really well, definetly good enough for playing the occasional cinematic AAA game.

Gulp

Sho Nuff

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 04:48:47 AM »

Glad you’ve walked into the light, brother. You’re basically just using the iPad as a mini-TV then, right?

Yeah, just a TV. I wonder when they're gonna support DualSense and XSX controls on iOS/Android.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 08:41:30 PM »
Would happily pay $200ish for a premium streaming device for ps5
Seems someone's wish was granted   :hesright

Anybody else getting the Playstation Portal that drops this week?
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 09:20:20 PM »
Nah, I've got Steam Deck for all my non-Switch portable game needs. Just missing Sony 1st party exclusives, but those are better for the big screen anyhow with their AAAA production values.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 07:07:10 AM »
Nope, got the Legion Goooooooooooo which can even play those Sony games well
:lawd
ど助平

Kestastrophe

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 10:46:59 AM »
sweet, how does that compare to steam deck?
jon

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 08:31:54 PM »
sweet, how does that compare to steam deck?

From a performance standpoint, it and the Asus Ally absolutely shit all over the Steam Deck.  You can get 60+ FPS pretty easily in most modern games.  Even as high as 100+ FPS!
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
Still, I like the Steam Deck. I've never had a single framerate issue, but I only play 2d indie games so it would be weird if they had trouble running at full framerate.

The Steam integration is the main selling point of deck imo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2023, 07:29:30 PM »
Still, I like the Steam Deck. I've never had a single framerate issue, but I only play 2d indie games so it would be weird if they had trouble running at full framerate.

The Steam integration is the main selling point of deck imo.

You can't go wrong with any of these devices.  :) It's good to have this kind of competition going on and variety for the consumer to pick from. The only maker I just wouldn't recommend is GPD because of awful QC and them being difficult to deal with when things need to be fixed.

That said, if you wanted to, it wouldn't be that hard to set up a Windows-based handheld to just boot right into Steam Big Picture mode on startup.  Should feel pretty close to the Steam Deck.
ど助平

Kestastrophe

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2024, 12:42:38 PM »
It's been almost two months with the Sony Dadstation for me and i love it. It has absolutely increased my gaming time and works flawlessly on every floor of my house thus far. Only complaint is the single dead pixel i have lol
jon