Author Topic: What game(s) did you abandon in the past year?  (Read 2041 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
What game(s) did you abandon in the past year?
« on: January 18, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
The "what did you finish" thread made me think about all the games I started (sometimes for a 2nd or 3rd try) in the past year and didn't bother finishing. This, sadly, is how I play most games these days, my attention span wanders and I just lose interest. In fact, I think the only game I beat in the past year was Disco Elysium and the list of stuff that I abandoned/paused was... well, you'll see.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order- game is alright but has some serious motivation issues (explore every nook and cranny for... cosmetics???) and the combat is off a little bit. I actually tried to get through this twice and I think on my 2nd playthrough attempt in Nov/Dec (right before Cyberpunk finally released) I might have gotten about 3/4 of the way done with it. Will probably try to revisit again one day.

Fire Emblem: Awakening- this is the most hilarious one, because I bought my 2nd 2DS (xl this time) just to once again play some Fire Emblem. I got farther this time than the last time, but for whatever reason I tend to find greater joy in assembling the ideal team and grinding them all into Galeforce killing machines in this game as opposed to, you know, BEATING IT or whatever. The next time I try to play this I'm going to force myself to just play through from my last save as opposed to starting over.

BioShock HD remaster- I never really intended to complete this, it was just something I decided to play for a couple days early on in lockdown because I'd never played the HD remaster. Pretty af. This is the only game on this list that I have actually completed on a previous playthrough.

Skyrim- Another game I picked up again on a whim for a weekend early on in the lockdown

Bloodborne- I finally bit on this game when the GH version was on sale for $10 over the summer and am super glad I did. While I don't usually care for soulslike games, the faster pace and emphasis on combos/dodging over blocking totally works for me. Unfortunately I'm just not that great at this game! I managed to grind my way through the Blood Starved Beast and then just sort of lost interest. I'll probably try it again with a different weapon focus/build in the future.

Atelier Ryza: Hot Anime Tiddies n Thicc Thighs And Also Alchemy- this is the first Atelier game I've bothered to play despite years of being on a podcast where Drinky and Frag were constantly singing the praises of an opaque itemization/gameplay system paired with yer general anime trope-y shit and a loli protagonist. The latter two things I can do without but heard this was, like, 20% less cringe? It was a fun 20ish hours, I preordered the sequel and look forward to adding it to this thread or a new one in the future when I don't complete it as well.

Persona 5: Royal- I completed the original non-Royal version of this upon release on the PS3, and decided to get this when it was on sale at some point, and holy shit is it really better in every conceivable way. I got up to Shido's palace before dropping it.

Langrisser 1&2- an early lockdown purchase, played the first couple chapters and couldn't really get into the antiquated gameplay. May try to revisit, tho.

Games I bought and didn't even bother to play: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Super Mario 3-D All-Stars and of course an untold number of Steam games (I signed up for the Humble Bundle subscription when it was $8/month)

I may try to use this as motivation to go back and finish some of these games. What about you turds?
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What game(s) did you abandon in the past year?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »
Trying to be better about buying tons of crap and never finishing them, but here's what fell through the cracks this year.

Watch Dogs: Legion - I got suckered in by the quick 50% off price-drop. Game is liquid ass, I'll probably dump this off at GameStop for a few bucks if I remember to before they go out of business.

Trials of Mana - Seems like a decent game, there was just a lot of other games to play around that March/April window and I never got around to giving it much love. I intend to come back to eventually.

Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue - I just wasn't really in the mood for a VN when this hit. I intend to come back to it eventually.

Persona 5: Royal - I mean, great game but I just don't replay RPGs very often, especially ones as long as this. I dropped 10-12 hours into it, but I just lost all desire to keep going. Not sure if I'll ever come back to it.

Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris - Fatal Bullet wasn't that bad, and though this might be a decent C+ JRPG to waste some time with, but holy crap this game sucks. dead_bird_do_not_open.gif

Disney's Marvel's Stan Lee's The Avengers - It started the game with some good set pieces, but then it immediately turns into "do some cookie cutter quests to grind xp". Run across a crumbling bridge, dodging missiles as the Hulk! Now stand in a circle for two minutes and fight endless waves of enemies as The Hulk. Eh, I may come back to this, but it's not a high priority.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:12:53 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:14:53 PM »
FF12 on PS4.

Battle system and character building is ass. Art is bland. Story and characters weren’t gripping me.

I didn’t hate it, but I was alternating it with KH2 and that was a shit ton more fun, and I just went on to mop up the rest of that series while quietly dropping this. I would like to finish it at some point, but I have far more interesting games to get to honestly.
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
These come to mind...

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Finished Edelgards' campaign so technically finished it but there's 3 more paths that I haven't

Fire Emblem: Warriors
Dipped my toe into this, didn't return when Houses came out

C&C Remastered
Played nearly all of C&C except for the Dino missions. Wanted to start Red Alert but never did

Zelda: BOTW (2nd playthrough)
Originally played this on Wii U without the DLC, I've now gotten up to the second Master Sword challenge, 1 Divine beast to go and about 30 shrines.

Trials of Mana
At some point I got stuck at a boss and didn't return.

Super Mario Maker 2
Never finished the story mode

Forza 7 / FH4
As with all Forza games, I just drop them

Assassins Creed: Origins
Started this after odyssey, great game but a time sink, played RE3 first then didn't return

Ace Combat 7
Got pretty far but the difficulty ramps up, dropped it after a while, it'll be difficult to pick up again so that's what's keeping me

CONTROL
Nearly finished this one I think but my PC started acting up. Easily one of my favorite games of the past year too. Now that I have upgraded my PC I can finish it, some day.

Half-Life Alyx
This is awesome but again because of PC troubles I dropped it. Have to return to this at some point.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
One of those games I play for a while and then drop again. I should be pretty far along but who can tell in these type of games.  :doge

Celeste
Difficulty kept ramping up and I like my platformers not too difficult.

Once I've completed Cyberpunk I'll probably return to one or more of these starting with Half Life and CONTROL.
And this doesn't count the games that I bought or I got as gifts and I never started like Red Dead Redemption 2, Batman Arkham Knight, Xenoblade and Star Wars Squadrons.

Because I play most games once, my playthroughs are usually close to 'completionist'  on the first run. Which just takes longer and also means I might abandon a game because I get burned out on the side content.
It is also not how most games are designed these days, they seem to cater towards quickly rushing through the story and then doing New Game+ to mop up the rest.
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:01:29 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 4 for me. I'm just too old for this anime shit I think. Gameplay was OK enough but very dated and slow - even on fast mode enemy turns took forever. Dialog scenes have you clicking through each text box which is annoying as . And often a text box would be dedicated to a fucking anime noise, eg. gasps, ughs etc.

I'm quite thorough with my games and I do generally beat a game I start

Clockwork5

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:15:38 PM »
The only two I put a considerable amount of time into and walked away from were Fire Emblem Three Houses and Death Stranding.

Death Stranding is a real piece of shit. I mean it. I guess I could understand liking that game from start to finish but it wasn’t for me. I liked it at first, its got a look, the tech has a style, as weird as it is I think the world is pretty cool and I like the wild back story. I enjoyed the first area quite a bit, even through some mishaps. But gradually everything began to feel like a nuisance. I stuck with it because I really, really dig the environments in this game and I was also desperately trying to satisfy my need for likes. But the longer I played (30 hours), the more I realized this game is a fucking joke and it’s a damn shame this awesome world was wasted on such a half baked gameplay loop. Kojima should do better.

Fire Emblem is a great game. I just stopped playing for some reason. I think if I found the characters a bit more likable I would have finished the house I started. I’ll try out one of the other houses someday, it’s a good game.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 11:54:23 PM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
I usually finish what I start, unless the difficulty level ramps up.

The Messenger - got to the part where you finally get into the 16 bit, but kinda dropped it. May pick it up some day. I wasn't crazy about the soundtrack and the respawning enemies were even more egregious than the Ninja Gaiden games this game is so inspired by.

Kirby's Super Star - just have to do the Arena to 100% it... the computer helpers suck, then my friend came over one night and we choked on the final fight with Marx... then covid hit and I haven't seen him since. Have to wait until we get vaxxed and he can come over again.

Tiny Toon Adventures (NES) - got to the 3rd level, then got frustrated at the lack of checkpointing. Kinda sick of spending 10+ minutes replaying boards when you choke near the end.
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
Dragon Quest 11 Bought on PS4 for cheap after jonesing for another JRPG after FF7 remake. I played about an hour of it and never looked at it again. The lower production values etc did it no favours coming off FF7 remake. I might give it another chance now its on game pass and theres seemingly fuck all coming out soon.

Animal Crossing I hit my 10 million bells mental goal via stonks and have literally not played it since and or considered doing so. Great game though, and does this really count I put like 75 hours into it? :trumps

Star War The Fallen Order Fell off it for reasons I don't recall, I was enjoying it though and I intend to pick it up again at some point (we'll see about that)

Ghost of Tsushima Loved it for about 20 hours then hit a brick wall cos its so repetitive. I think a big problem is that your missions and side missions take too long and feels like a slog when you've done them so many times before, whereas Assassins Creed has nailed it gameplay loop now. It doesn't help that the game is so po faced and theres barely any levity or charming characters. I will never play it again but would be interested in a sequel

Watch Dogs Legion Had some fun with it for a while as a podcast game but shit sux and is the worst of The Ubisoft Formula. The lack of a proper cast hurts bad.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:31:49 PM by Piss Benoit »
(ice)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
I got up to Shido's palace before dropping it.
:existential

GO FINISH THAT SHIT IMMEDIATELY, THE LAST SEMESTER IS AMAZING

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
Final Fantasy VII Remake- I forget what happened with this one.  Either something IRL made me stop playing it or some other game came out and I just never went back.

Ghosts Of Tsushima: Just got kind of bored and stopped.  If/when I get a PS5, I'll check it out again.

Hyrule Warriors AoC: Nothing on the game; just an incident at work happened and I was way too busy for three-four weeks to be able to play much.  Need to get back to it.

The Messenger - got to the part where you finally get into the 16 bit, but kinda dropped it. May pick it up some day. I wasn't crazy about the soundtrack and the respawning enemies were even more egregious than the Ninja Gaiden games this game is so inspired by.

Exactly what happened to me.  I really enjoyed all the 8-bit levels and then the change just kind of made it fall off.  Would still like to re-visit it again one day.
ど助平

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 05:57:20 PM »
Was on a wicked productive completionist streak, and just wrapped up all of the trophies in Borderlands 2, Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 3 when i tackled Fallout 4 next. Beat and platted the game, but couldnt bring myself to finish some of the awful crafting focused dlc
jon

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
Despite being remarkably pretty and having some of the most interesting character facial animation I’ve seen, I can tell I’m about to abandon Concrete Genie.

Also bailed on Star Wars Squadrons.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »
yakuza 7. i think. i loved most of my time with it, but later on it becomes a fucking drag. sponge bosses that can one hit kill your whole squad out of nothing. no thanks.

Demons Souls Remake
. I have played quite a few Souls games, and liked most of my time with them. Even bloodbourne with its terrible performance and visuals. But something just keeping me from getting into demons souls. I assume they have stayed very true to the original, which I havent played, and From just improved the formula since.

Crusader Kings 3. Seems really cool, but there's... Just too much going on, I cant do it.

Valorant. Poor mans CS:GO mixed with shitty abilities from Overwatch.

Prey. Seems like a decent game too, but I should probably have played it closer to release.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 11:35:37 PM »
(...)
Watch Dogs Legion Had some fun with it for a while as a podcast game but shit sux and is the worst of The Ubisoft Formula. The lack of a proper cast hurts bad.

:respect

Yeah, this just made my list as well. It was already overstaying its welcome. I enjoyed most of it, but then saw how many collect-a-thons were running throughout everything, and I realized I was just going through the motions. The mission design is poor compared to WD2, with much more linear design, fewer options to explore any actual paths. It is just straight-up content tourism, and filling in the expectations with text and audio logs, marching past obstacles in a set order of occurrence.

Then the last boss mission doesn't allow a restart to tackle it with different operative, weapons, tech, which is the central hook of THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, and I made the mistake of taking a pea-shooter into a swarm confrontation.

I'm done.  Deleted.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 09:15:55 PM »
yakuza 7. i think. i loved most of my time with it, but later on it becomes a fucking drag. sponge bosses that can one hit kill your whole squad out of nothing. no thanks.

Yes, fuck where this game goes. I uninstalled that shit. Pity, wanted to see the ending. Oh hey Youtube exists!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »
I don't know if I've completely abandoned it yet, but I'm feeling pretty :snore right now about the prospects of returning to Dying Light 2 after playing Elden Ring.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »
RDR2 - This is way too slow and clunky; story and gameplay.  I just don't have the time to "sit back and let the slow burn take"  The cherry on top, is the locked 30fps on PS5..yeesh

AC: Valhalla - It's just too bloated and Ubisofty... it's the straw that broke the camel's back for their open world games.  Thought I'd be hyped after the new Netflix series, but lol no, that didn't happen.

Kingdoms of Amalur:doge

Elden Ring just sent those 3 to bed...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 01:17:45 AM »
When the 90-minute demo for Kingdoms of Amalur first appeared, I didn't even want to play through the full 90 minutes. It felt like the grind of an MMO without the compelling social aspects of them.

Svejk

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 03:37:56 PM »
When the 90-minute demo for Kingdoms of Amalur first appeared, I didn't even want to play through the full 90 minutes. It felt like the grind of an MMO without the compelling social aspects of them.
Tbph, I think the only thing that intrigued me was Grant Kirkhope's score. lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 05:47:23 AM »
It had fluid an flashy combat and entirely too much content. The only other thing I remember is the basic premise. Nothing else really stood out to me.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »

Yes, fuck where this game goes. I uninstalled that shit. Pity, wanted to see the ending. Oh hey Youtube exists!

I feel that there was a whole lot of other things that you were supposed to do during
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dotonbori
[close]
but they were cut during time constraints. Because the fight that ends that area is so much tougher than anything else in the game...
^_^

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 03:58:12 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Linear slog through a beautiful and boring game where nobody would shut up

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
Everything after Elden Ring released
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 08:03:09 PM »
Elden Ring.

Game is boring. Hours wondering around aimlessly just to die at the boss with no real idea of where to go or what to do. Just not having fun. Give me another linear BB or Dark Souls.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »
These come to mind...

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Finished Edelgards' campaign so technically finished it but there's 3 more paths that I haven't

Dipped my toe into this, didn't return when Houses came out

C&C Remastered
Played nearly all of C&C except for the Dino missions. Wanted to start Red Alert but never did

Zelda: BOTW (2nd playthrough)
Originally played this on Wii U without the DLC, I've now gotten up to the second Master Sword challenge, 1 Divine beast to go and about 30 shrines.

Trials of Mana
At some point I got stuck at a boss and didn't return.

Super Mario Maker 2
Never finished the story mode

Forza 7 / FH4
As with all Forza games, I just drop them

Assassins Creed: Origins
Started this after odyssey, great game but a time sink, played RE3 first then didn't return

Ace Combat 7
Got pretty far but the difficulty ramps up, dropped it after a while, it'll be difficult to pick up again so that's what's keeping me

CONTROL
Nearly finished this one I think but my PC started acting up. Easily one of my favorite games of the past year too. Now that I have upgraded my PC I can finish it, some day.

Half-Life Alyx
This is awesome but again because of PC troubles I dropped it. Have to return to this at some point.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
One of those games I play for a while and then drop again. I should be pretty far along but who can tell in these type of games.

Celeste
Difficulty kept ramping up and I like my platformers not too difficult.

Once I've completed Cyberpunk I'll probably return to one or more of these starting with Half Life and CONTROL.
And this doesn't count the games that I bought or I got as gifts and I never started like Red Dead Redemption 2, Batman Arkham Knight, Xenoblade and Star Wars Squadrons.

Because I play most games once, my playthroughs are usually close to 'completionist'  on the first run. Which just takes longer and also means I might abandon a game because I get burned out on the side content.
It is also not how most games are designed these days, they seem to cater towards quickly rushing through the story and then doing New Game+ to mop up the rest.
Completed this, even bought some DLC  :)

C&C Remastered
Completed the Allied campaign  :ussrcry

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Picked this back up a few weeks ago and made some progress

Elden Ring.

Game is boring. Hours wondering around aimlessly just to die at the boss with no real idea of where to go or what to do. Just not having fun. Give me another linear BB or Dark Souls.
Guardians of the Galaxy

Linear slog through a beautiful and boring game where nobody would shut up

You should trade  :heart
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2022, 08:31:07 PM »
Nah, I also abandoned Guardians.

I actually don't really see what people are talking about. The "gameplay" is pretty embarrassing. Feels like a bad PS2 era third-person shooter where you shoot the weakest feeling weapons and awkwardly prance around like an idiot.

And the story and writing felt so lame, trying to riff on the movies without any of the talent. Like the kids cartoon version that would follow the big hollywood movie in the 90s.

Nice looking I guess.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2023, 03:38:15 PM »
Ghost of Tsushima - This turned into a slog. I was like, “a whole 3rd island? No, thanks.”

Gotham Knights - A pale shadow of the Arkham games, weighted down by poorly implemented multiplayer, needlessly complex crafting, and repetitive missions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:11:08 PM by chronovore »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2023, 07:44:48 PM »
.hack//GU Last Recode - Played the first game for about 12 hours, game fucking sucks, I can't.
Atomic Heart - Played for about 2 hours, the writing is so bad, I can't deal with it.

©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 08:43:14 PM »
With Xbox and PlayStation gamepass, plenty I’ve forgotten.

Assassin’s Creed Origin I’ll single out. Was fun but zooming out the map and seeing level requirements. Overwhelming content bloat. One of the boat sequences, I dozed off, and it was so uninvolved I managed to beat it before waking.

Can’t imagine how bloated the Greek and Viking games are if this is the smaller of the three.