Author Topic: Should I get a 360? Which one?  (Read 2047 times)

paprikastaude

Should I get a 360? Which one?
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:26:52 PM »
Recently I've got this urge to have a non-pirate machine on which I can replay Burnout 3, Silent Hill 2, etc. with HDMI and no memory cards easily. Yet the bc catalogue on the newer XbOnes doesn't look like it's growing anytime soon for the first Xbox. Plus there's almost no games I care about on their newer consoles anyway.

So I thought a 360 would be smarter to get if I want to waste some time during another shit year. I don't really know much about the hardware though. I once heard the original Xboxes break sooner or later, but I don't know about 360, except for the intial RoD units?

tbf there really isn't much I'm interested on for 360 except maybe Lost Odyssey and a couple of other exclusives. So when it comes to harddrive and other features I don't need much that goes beyond using it as Xbox bc. I guess Slim is the best for that? Apparently there's also a 360 E of which I've never heard about.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: Should I get a 360? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Xbox 360 slim (any version) will be the most reliable. The Xbox 360 Slim was first introduced in 2010, it's all black and less wide but still thicc compared to OG 360s. Any OG 360's or 360 Elites are prone to RROD and other issues. Avoid those. Avoid any 360 that isn't the Slim ones from 2010 onwards.

The only common issue with the 360 Slim's are the external power bricks are sorta shit and some are prone to overheating or the fan dying. Those should still be easily replaceable with a third party power brick.

Doing some reading, you should be able to use a formatted external hard drive or maybe even a flash drive for game installs and storage. Some games might require a internal licensed drive for the 360, which looks like it's around $30 now.

OH!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
Any OG 360's or 360 Elites are prone to RROD and other issues. Avoid those. Avoid any 360 that isn't the Slim ones from 2010 onwards.
This x100.

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »
Wait I thought the Elites were supposed to be way better, I thought that was the whole point. :doge

I didn't even know 360 Slims were a thing...

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
Wait I thought the Elites were supposed to be way better, I thought that was the whole point. :doge

https://levelskip.com/consoles/What-is-the-Difference-Between-Xbox-360-Models

The last revision was Slim E in 2013.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:24:40 PM »
So you want to play original xbox games? Better off just modding an OG...
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
Get that digital small little xbox 360 I think its the elite with a 120gb hdd or something

i got mine for like 50 bucks with a bunch of games
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 03:53:28 PM »
Xbox 360 slim (any version) will be the most reliable. The Xbox 360 Slim was first introduced in 2010, it's all black and less wide but still thicc compared to OG 360s. Any OG 360's or 360 Elites are prone to RROD and other issues. Avoid those. Avoid any 360 that isn't the Slim ones from 2010 onwards.

The only common issue with the 360 Slim's are the external power bricks are sorta shit and some are prone to overheating or the fan dying. Those should still be easily replaceable with a third party power brick.

Doing some reading, you should be able to use a formatted external hard drive or maybe even a flash drive for game installs and storage. Some games might require a internal licensed drive for the 360, which looks like it's around $30 now.

:like

So you want to play original xbox games? Better off just modding an OG...

There's still a few 360 games I had on my list forever, just not that many on their own. But if I can cover them by having another gen in the box it should be cool.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
Then a 360 should be fine, just understand that 360 emulator has issues even with games it does run
fat

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »

https://levelskip.com/consoles/What-is-the-Difference-Between-Xbox-360-Models

The last revision was Slim E in 2013.

The 360 Elite didn't have fucking Wi-Fi? :mindblown And people shit on Nintendo for cheaping out on hardware.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
WiFi should be removed from all gaming devices. Do not support inferior networking experiences
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
you should be able to get a pre-slim 360 for dirt cheap, I see them go for 20-30NZD all the time. Who gives a shit about RRoD if you just wanna play a couple games at a real low oppurtunity cost. Earlier models dont have HDMI out tho

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »
my 360 Elite is still going. later models mostly solve rrod afaik.
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 06:08:30 PM »
WiFi should be removed from all gaming devices. Do not support inferior networking experiences

:umad

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »
I dunno, I'm thinking an Xbox One S would serve you better? I think the 360 version of Burnout Revenge was an improvement over the original OG Xbox version and that's backwards compatible with Xbox One/Series.
The OG Xbox games I tried on 360 didn't work that well. While on Xbox One the 360 games run great and are vastly improved.

I remember from the Xbox 360 that the output options and cooling were kinda 'eh'. The games were great but the hardware was very unreliable even after they tackled the RROD.
We might also be getting to a point that they pull the plug on the online services which would make it a brick.
🤴

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
If you get an OG, immediately pop it open and remove the clock capacitor; it's a timebomb that can hose your motherboard.

paprikastaude

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 10:39:41 PM »
If you get an OG, immediately pop it open and remove the clock capacitor; it's a timebomb that can hose your motherboard.

Right, that's why I don't really want to deal with the OG or a modded PS2 etc. Just want to get a cheap box off the used market and straight plug it into a new TV to have essentials like Burnout 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Silent Hill 2 etc. ready. Though I have to make a few cuts like no Otogi, 360 still covers the biggest ground for me from all MS consoles. Also I survived Silent Hill 1 on PS3, on which the sound crashes horribly every hour or two, so hopefully bc doesn't get too much worse here.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:45:45 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 11:06:35 PM »
The clock capacitor fix is stupid easy to do but just stick with the 360 and see how far that gets you
fat

Himu

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 11:36:16 PM »
Absolutely. Classic system. Shame mine is in texas.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 03:55:48 AM »

How easy is it for anyone to open up an og xbox?
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 04:23:17 AM »
Super easy like a Dreamcast. It's just basic screws on the bottom, then the top of the case lifts off and you're inside.

It'll be harder to remove the capacitor than it will be to get into the Xbox. But even that is easy enough to wiggle some until it snaps off.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 07:14:05 AM »
Super easy like a Dreamcast. It's just basic screws on the bottom, then the top of the case lifts off and you're inside.

It'll be harder to remove the capacitor than it will be to get into the Xbox. But even that is easy enough to wiggle some until it snaps off.

Yeah, just keep rocking that lil fucker back and forth and eventually it'll give. Shit-simple to open the box.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
Ok I might try tonight, thanks guys. I have two OG Xboxes one modded and one unmodded  :doge
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
The original Xbox 360 is known to simply be a matter of time before you get the RROD. Stick with the later models. You can use a fast enough USB stick for a ridiculous amount of storage. So even getting the one gigabyte onboard model is sufficient.